Early look at the top 50 for 2010-2011

For what it's worth, here is an early look of a top 50 for next season.

http://www.onlinesportsfanatic.com/?p=2086

SLU is 32. Other teams of potential interest to SLU fans: Illinois (9), Xavier (10), Temple (28), VCU (47).

Just today I was thinking about where I realistically expect this team to be next season. Here's how I see it:

We were a top 50 team during the 2nd half of this season after Cody arrived.

We would be a top 30 team with the addional growth of all the existing players, a full healthy roster, and the addition of MM and DE.

Loe improves us to a top 20-25 team.

A couple wins/losses will swing you 10 spots in my analysis so this is of course not very scientific but I truly believe we will be a top 25 team by the time the season is over.

p.s. MU should be ranked in the top 50. They aren't losing all that much production from last season and have a very nice class coming in. I'd put them in the 20-30 range too.

Just today I was thinking about where I realistically expect this team to be next season. Here's how I see it:

We would be a top 30 team with the addional growth of all the existing players, a full healthy roster, and the addition of MM and DE.

A couple wins/losses will swing you 10 spots in my analysis so this is of course not very scientific but I truly believe we will be a top 25 team by the time the season is over.

p.s. MU should be ranked in the top 50. They aren't losing all that much production from last season and have a very nice class coming in. I'd put them in the 20-30 range too.

Top 25 would be great. And, I believe it is a realistic expectation.

You are correct about Mizzou, they have a lot back and are bringing in a studly recruiting class

I would have to say I agree with everything in this post.

I def agree here. But the one thing that makes me nervous is our non-conf schedule. This year people struggled to put us on the bubble because of our RPI and SOS. it seams to me that our non-conf schedule could be a problem again this year. dont get me wrong, if we breez through it thats awsome. but if some random poor quality teams get lucky against us, that will look very bad on our records. also, it will be though to move up the rakings even with a good record because we wont play many big names. I just hope we play some good comp in our ESPN tourny down south.

We better have a non-conference schedule loaded with solid teams if we want to be top 25. It's hard to be in the A-10 and make it to the top 25 unless your borderline perfect. We have very little margin for error. Look at Butler - they had 4 losses on the season and 0 conference losses and they got a 5 seed! They are in the Horizon League but anything outside the Big East, Big-10, Big 12, SEC, and ACC get very little respect.

I think we have the potential to be a top 25 team, but we are going to have to learn to be outstanding on the road and we are going to have to learn to blow teams out. We had to keep out top players in for most games no matter how weak our opponent. We had 2 games total in 2010 where we won by more than 10 points.

Big leads reduce injuries, keep players fresh for future games, and help improve player's mental exhaustion level low.

Free throws and 3-point consistency is going to be important to be a high ranked team as well. How many top 25 teams shoot 61.9% at the line?

We certainly have the potential to be a top 25 team. It will take a perfect run like we had with Claggs and Highmark to get us noticed before conference season begins.

Illinois is perplexing. Weber now for two years straight has brought in top notch talent. Unfortunately half the roster is headcases including last years sometime best player McCamey. Previously Weber had to take these guys on because he wasn't recruiting top notch talent. Now he is. McCamey has put his name in the draft, Weber probably hopes he goes. Jereme Richmond is the best recruit Illinois has had since Dee Brown. He's good enough to be a one and done type guy.

Top 25 would be great. And, I believe it is a realistic expectation.

You are correct about Mizzou, they have a lot back and are bringing in a studly recruiting class

It's just nice to see us mentioned in this group. Can't wait to watch Loe in that Nike Summit game.

I hope you are right about the top 25. That is the magic number, in my opinion, to really open up the eyes of the casual fan and get us to a point where we get the extra 3K folks to fill the Fetz every night. Bandwagoners welcome. Top 25 gets you on the local sports as the top story, plus it gets us that national attention from ESPN, etc. Top 35 I don't think will get us what we need as far as selling out consistently, but I could be wrong...I've talked to a few folks that are on board for next year and they would have never considered it before. Good signs.

The A10 is really a hard league to get ranked out of. Temple got there with a big splash win over Villanova. Then they hung around and I believe a part of that was name recognition. Other A10 teams sniffed the top 25, only to sink forever and never to return after their loss upon making that level. Richmond. Dayton. Rhode Island. It took forever for Xavier to rise into the ranks. It seems doubly hard for teams like that to get to that point and, given its usuallly conference dog-eat-dog time, they will lose and will drop pretty quickly and very hard and never return.

We are not alone. Wasn't Portland or Portland State at #25 some time this year? Wasn't Davidson up there too? Non-typical teams from mid-major conferences seem to take forever to get there and then burn out when there, almost never to return.

This coming year will be interesting ----- for two years now, we bemoaned the fact of being "the youngest team in college ball." We will no longer be that which is good. However, now the dynamic changes --- how well the incoming guys mix with already established guys is the key. I still don't like our bulk along the front line and I still believe our shooting skills are weak. But the skills got better as the year progressed so I kind of expect that to continue on the ups. Front line strength will only improve based on dedication in the weight room.

I am also aware of some rumblings about another transfer. I can honestly say I don't like that part of this at all and am really not happy about whom I'm hearing about. But rather than spew it out here, I want to sit back and see what transpires. If it happens --- I'll say "told you so" if its right, or "I was wrong" if its not --- which is what I'm really hoping for.

But transfers or kids leaving early to the pros, it seems we need to accept them all as its a part of doing normal business on the college level now.

For what it's worth, here is an early look of a top 50 for next season.

http://www.onlinesportsfanatic.com/?p=2086

SLU is 32. Other teams of potential interest to SLU fans: Illinois (9), Xavier (10), Temple (28), VCU (47).

and this is without any mention of Loe who by the definition given for his espn rating could start as a freshman on a top 25 team.

and this is without any mention of Loe who by the definition given for his espn rating could start as a freshman on a top 25 team.

I'm pretty sure those were the wrong definitions skip. This is the correct one, but I don't think it really matters as they probably haven't even seen Loe play.

90-93: High-major minus prospect

Player has the potential to significantly contribute to a national program as a freshman. He could be a four-year contributor with an opportunity to start over the course of his career.