I'm not entirely sold on this St. Charles thing.

jmolina

Weighing all the options. I'm thinking a bid for the

St. Charles Family Arena for a possible NIT site is

not the best way to go, IMO. It's not driving "friendly"

especially for those of us in Illinois. No metro-link stop. I can't

imagine it's very good for the students who have enough trouble now getting to the Savvis. The team is unfamiliar with the dimensions. And the St. Charles complex is nothing more than a housing area for minor league teams. How many fans do you think would show for the game? I'm thinking you'd be lucky if you get 3k. It's simply not an attractive venue. I know SLU wants to stay home. But is this the best choice, really?

Thoughts............

>what other options are there?

The Dome (looks to be open all next week) but there would be so many empty seats you would get that tomb feel to the game (plus added cost of getting the dome). What did we get last year for the Minnesota game, 9k? Now, if Mizzou or ND were the opponent, then I think you might get enough fans for the Dome to be a real option.

... the NIT (Not In Tournament) is ridiculous. But if the Billiken season is prolonged, hey, I'm all for it.

The NIT is all about money. Billikan has a rant (a good thing) about it in a thread he just started. Are his points valid? I'd say yes .. in one camp. Are they also true? Sure. Back in the old days, the NIT meant something until it was overtaken by March Madness. I thought it was going to switch permanently to its pre-Season format ..... which I thought was a good move. Having these teams play now doesn't seem to mean much.

Who won the NIT last year? I'm sure someone knows. I don't. If I go back another year or two .... forget it. Is it a good thing if you're young and can play your juniors, sophs and frosh for some more time? I don't know. If games didn't matter, they wouldn't keep score. If money wasn't involved, they might not be played.

Going to St. Charles for the sake of a home game would seem to be counter to what the NIT has turned into to ... most get home games because they can guarantee a crowd of some sort (i.e. money$$$). Playing at the dome is downright ridiculous ..... for all opponents except MAYBE Mizzou. Getting a game with ND might make it worthwhile at St. Charles, but the dome is no way. In either case, its not a home game in my opinion.

I wonder what the reaction of our kids would be in a poll of palying in the NIT? Do you think they'd say they want to? I'm not leaning one way or the other ... as I said, if the Bills play on I'm happy ... happier in the NCAAs .... but I would just like to know what the kids think. Kind of like to answer some of the rants Billikan has going in the other thread.

I'm sure the NIT would send Saint Louis U. on the road before they would have the Billikens "host" a game at UMSL's Mark Twain Center. I don't think Family Arena would fly, either.

Hey, if the Billikens can go on the road and win, and I believe they can and, depending on the matchup, probably will, then they may be able to host a game in the next round. Furthermore, the Bills may get a "first round bye."

Some have suggested they don't want the Bills to play SMS again, but I relish that opportunity. I think the Billikens would probably win that game. I also think I'd like to see the Billikens play Creighton or Wichita State in their first game. I DON'T want to see the Billikens play Missouri unless it happened in New York (while it wouldn't be anywhere near as sweet watching SLU and Mizzou play for a trip to the Final Four -- still a daydream of mine -- it would be great to watch them play for an NIT championship).

.... all I'm doing is saying to ask them. Do we really know? I don't and I doubt you do unless you can correct me and offer a completed poll or direct quotes or something. And do we really care? I do and I would think they would want to play but I'm willing to bet no one has even asked. They asked the TCU football players where they wanted to go to a bowl game this year. They voted to "go" to the Fort Worth Bowl. That's not very far, is it?

To answer your question I'd say "no I cannot offer a reason" but my reasons pro or con are immaterial.

When I played, I know I didn't want to see a season end. Baseball. Football. Or Basketball. All I'm saying is that I don't know what these kids are thinking or what their rationale is ... do kids today care to play if they're in the Not In Tournament Tournament?

If they don't care to play and do, maybe that's why some seem to come out very flat. Not to knock the Bills .... they more than proved their mettle to me in Cincy .... I guess I'm just asking from an overall perspective as well as a SLU perspective.

Anybody that's close to the team ... respond in kind. Not really a value or judgement statement on my part. An "inquiring minds want to know" kind of question.

.. we're on the ROAD. Either at someone's home or in St. Charles.

Now, ask yourself, as the NIT group who's basically looking for dollars to at least break even, would you give St. Louis a "home" road game or would you take your chances on giving someone else a real "home" game and look towards making the bucks that might come with it?

I'd send them on the road .... to Creighton, to SMS, to Colorado, to Kent State, to Indiana, wherever ..... the nice Billiken record might even make the drawing power better ......

The agreement at the Family Arena just plain stinks. The people that have been paying the bills all season long have to wait in line and get their tickets like every other Joe. That is pitiful! You can't tell me that they could not have made some sort of an agreement, to get me the season ticket holder and Billiken Club member the best seat possible??? Bad business at the very least!!!

>The agreement at the Family Arena just plain stinks. The

>people that have been paying the bills all season long have

>to wait in line and get their tickets like every other Joe.

>That is pitiful! You can't tell me that they could not have

>made some sort of an agreement, to get me the season ticket

>holder and Billiken Club member the best seat possible???

>Bad business at the very least!!!

So, that's the site, huh? Leaves me out. I have another

obligation until 6 p.m. that night. Which was just announced

as starting time. Tough break.

.... I would think you are right on to base your assumption on the items you mention ... our guys being athletes and competitors. I also seem to recall a third place game in the NCAA's that went away because of something like "why play the game?"

I do NOT disagree with you but wouldn't it be an interesting question to ask? Some posters are close to the team .... someone ask. I think it would be interesting to see what the feeling really is, that's all. The fact that I get at least one more game on ESPN2 is gravy to me.

I think the media is picking up on where I'm going with all this as well. I read both articles in the PD web page on us and the SPUMAC team. The undercurrent in both seems to be one of apathy and "trying to get the team motivated." Just asking ... not implying anything ... nothing more, nothing less.

I wondered what was going on when nothing was mailed about buying tickets. I am glad the NCAA Wrestling Tourney is here but this is another good reason that we have to have our own home court. Playing at the Family Arena is not a good solution. I guess playing away would be a bad thing also.