Billiken Club Meeting

House

-Baseball and Softball coaches spoke: They need better facilities. Softball coach thinks this could be a big year for them. Baseball coach still seemed overwhelmed by how good things went last year and is hopefully they can continue to improve. Baseball coach is a pretty fun guy, first introduced himself as the new soccer coach.

-Compliance talk: Referenced and explained the new rules on boosters having "influence" or relationships with recruits or players. They were pretty open about the rules being a direct response, in part, to Calipari's practices. Promising associates of kids 6-mo "consultancy" jobs for say $50K in exchange for delivering a recruit etc. It was asked in jest, "WHEN Memphis has to vacate all of their wins under Calipari, will they celebrate their 2,000th win all over again?"

-Rammer spoke for a few minutes, told crowd to welcome the folks jumping in the bandwagon.

-PM spoke (I think the team might have been practicing just before/during the meeting):

-After 8 days trapped in a hotel with RM he is sure glad they won those games.

-Femi might be able to play starting with the UMASS game. Confirmed PE and JR were still considered done for the season.

-Said this group of kids really buy in to what they are taught. Each guy, including PE, DY, managers etc is given opponent's plays to look for and is to yell them out when they see them coming.

-Expect CS to start tomorrow but thinks the matchup should allow them to use a good amount of a 3 forward lineup as well.

-There view on the Rhody game is the same as has been discussed here on the board, it comes down to SLU defense vs their good shooters.

-Was asked about the team's greatest recruiting need, said help for KM and then started talking about MM. Said he's been recruiting MM for a long time just like KM.

-The reason KM came out for a bit in OT against Dayton was that he was cramping up and exhausted.

That's about all I remember.

-Baseball and Softball coaches spoke: They need better facilities. Softball coach thinks this could be a big year for them. Baseball coach still seemed overwhelmed by how good things went last year and is hopefully they can continue to improve. Baseball coach is a pretty fun guy, first introduced himself as the new soccer coach.

-Compliance talk: Referenced and explained the new rules on boosters having "influence" or relationships with recruits or players. They were pretty open about the rules being a direct response, in part, to Calipari's practices. Promising associates of kids 6-mo "consultancy" jobs for say $50K in exchange for delivering a recruit etc. It was asked in jest, "WHEN Memphis has to vacate all of their wins under Calipari, will they celebrate their 2,000th win all over again?"

-Rammer spoke for a few minutes, told crowd to welcome the folks jumping in the bandwagon.

-PM spoke (I think the team might have been practicing just before/during the meeting):

-Femi might be able to play starting with the UMASS game. Confirmed PE and JR were still considered done for the season.

-Expect CS to start tomorrow but thinks the matchup should allow them to use a good amount of a 3 forward lineup as well.

-There view on the Rhody game is the same as has been discussed here on the board, it comes down to SLU defense vs their good shooters.

-Was asked about the team's greatest recruiting need, said help for KM and then started talking about MM. Said he's been recruiting MM for a long time just like KM.

-The reason KM came out for a bit in OT against Dayton was that he was cramping up and exhausted.

PM also thanked Backhand for all the work he did in the off season with bulking up willie and also tutoring CE back in November/December.

-Said this group of kids really buy in to what they are taught. Each guy, including PE, DY, managers etc is given opponent's plays to look for and is to yell them out when they see them coming.

Hendrickson is the man and is taking the baseball program to the next level. He needs upgraded facilities to match. I really hope SLU does something but not holding my breath.

No one asked. May did not talk and I don't think Porter was the guy to ask.

I figured May would not want to talk so if I had been able to go I would have planned to talk to him privately - atlas I was sick and I am trying to get well enough to come to the game tonight. Privately would be the only way to get an answer from him and even then he would have been guarded. As I said, the AD needs to work on a donor,booster plan to solve this problem.

I figured May would not want to talk so if I had been able to go I would have planned to talk to him privately - atlas I was sick and I am trying to get well enough to come to the game tonight. Privately would be the only way to get an answer from him and even then he would have been guarded. As I said, the AD needs to work on a donor,booster plan to solve this problem.

Do share Cheese if you get any kind of answer from May. I can only assume he is working behind the scene to try and make big Rick calm down with his A10 rant.

And, with all due respect, it isn't a "private" issue (because it's been so rampant in the media). So we shouldn't wait for a "private" response. If Moser was the face for this meeting, someone should have asked him, if for no other reason than to demonstrate that the issue is important to more than the media folks who keep writing about it.

If someone would have asked this time, the potential outcomes were:

1) PM answers the question.

2) PM says "that's not my area," in which case the questioner could have asked that the question be elevated to someone who could answer it, either on the spot, next time or via some sort of communication in between. Any number of attendees would also have then had the opportunity to note their discomfort with the public statements and journalists' writings, the lack of response from the U. and the poor perception it might leave in some people's minds.

And, with all due respect, it isn't a "private" issue (because it's been so rampant in the media). So we shouldn't wait for a "private" response. If Moser was the face for this meeting, someone should have asked him, if for no other reason than to demonstrate that the issue is important to more than the media folks who keep writing about it.

2) PM says "that's not my area," in which case the questioner could have asked that the question be elevated to someone who could answer it, either on the spot, next time or via some sort of communication in between. Any number of attendees would also have then had the opportunity to note their discomfort with the public statements and journalists' writings, the lack of response from the U. and the poor perception it might leave in some people's minds.

Agree Bonwich. Totally disappointing that nobody brought it up. I almost find it unfathomable. But...i'm out of town and can't really say much, so I'll leave it at that.

While I understand your position I still think you would not have gotten an answer worth the trouble. After all, no one at the meeting is a journalist so they would have just let it drop rather than continue pushing it. PM would not have answered it and May would have simply said something like - We are continually looking at all our options related to how the most effective way for us to travel. As always we will be reviewing this situation at the end of the season as we do all aspects of the season. Thanks for the question and we should let PM go since he has kids waiting for him in the gym. My point simply is you are not going to get a worthwhile response in public on this issue right now - privately, you may do a little better but not much. I have asked May some tough questions in private before and honestly, he either answers them somewhat or he gives some non committal answer and looks for a way to move on to some one else in the room. At least privately, he might let out a bit more info on a topic that he would run from in the public.

I need Backhand to recommend some excercises to build up my forearms and improve the definition in my deltoids.

Box and Won-

You must be more specific so that I can customize a training regime to meet your personal needs....

Do you want excercises with weights? or without weights?

Also, do you want to be added to my offseason billiken workouts? I do strength and plyometrics.