PD: Dan Caesar "Its rinky-dink time with SLU"

TheBand

What is most disappointing isn't the article. In fact, I agree with Brian and others who have stated that Dan C. was just doing his job of reporting the facts and situation. What is disappointing is that four years after the university finally appeared ready to commit to big-time basketball by hiring Majerus and opening the new arena, we are discovering that most of Biondi's and his staff's small-time mindset remains unchanged. It is like Biondi has bought himself a luxury house and a pretty wife but is saving costs by getting his furniture from the goodwill.

Why do you spend 7 figures to bring in a big-time coach but then save a fraction of that cost by cutting charter flights that would give the program an advantage--or at least put it on equal footing with its conference competition--both on and off the court? Why do you join an east coast conference with high-quality basketball if you aren't willing to spend the money necessary to ensure that the games and conference get consistent, quality exposure on local TV that is easily accessible to all? (Most of the local media gravitates toward the MVC versus the A-10 because the MVC is readily available to them despite being an inferior product.) Why don't you have the administration build strong, loyal relationships across the local media, not just with the guys who do the radio and TV? Why don't you invest in real, meaningful marketing campaigns?

The shame of the whole thing is that that product on the court is as good as it has been in over a decade.

Exactly.

SLU has still not spoken about anything: no re-affirmation of the A10, no comment about the MVC, no comment about travel/charter flights, no comment about why its head coach is making anti-A10 statements every other day for weeks now, no statements about its announcers not making the game in Philly, no statements why the game was not aired on TV, no statement that it supports RM as our head coach and will ensure he remains a Billiken.

Rinky-dink and minor league programs stick their head in the sand. Fr. Biondi and his band of yes men do the same thing. I question if we are even minor league.

I get a Valentine's Day email from the Billiken, the AD knows my address b/c of the recent mailing about post-season tickets, Fr. Biondi has my address and phone numbers when they contact me each year for donations, but when things don't run smoothly with the basketball program, there is no contact and no information. Not minor league, IMO. Bush league!!

Once again, I am waiting for the shake-up in the Athletic Department. Isn't it about time that Chaifetz, Novelly, Tucci and other put their foot down. The athletic deparment is still the same "mom & pop" program under the thumb of Fr. Biondi. If Fr. Biondi/SLU don't want to become big-time, then roll back ticket prices, get rid of the annual fees for tickets, go back to "record keeping" days where 1 guy could/would be a ticket-broker for 20+ seats, start knitting new argyle sweaters for us "big-time" donors who spend $500 each calendar year. We're out of the 1930's West Pine Gym but that's about it.

What is most disappointing isn't the article. In fact, I agree with Brian and others who have stated that Dan C. was just doing his job of reporting the facts and situation. What is disappointing is that four years after the university finally appeared ready to commit to big-time basketball by hiring Majerus and opening the new arena, we are discovering that most of Biondi's and his staff's small-time mindset remains unchanged. It is like Biondi has bought himself a luxury house and a pretty wife but is saving costs by getting his furniture from the goodwill.

Why do you spend 7 figures to bring in a big-time coach but then save a fraction of that cost by cutting charter flights that would give the program an advantage--or at least put it on equal footing with its conference competition--both on and off the court? Why do you join an east coast conference with high-quality basketball if you aren't willing to spend the money necessary to ensure that the games and conference get consistent, quality exposure on local TV that is easily accessible to all? (Most of the local media gravitates toward the MVC versus the A-10 because the MVC is readily available to them despite being an inferior product.) Why don't you have the administration build strong, loyal relationships across the local media, not just with the guys who do the radio and TV? Why don't you invest in real, meaningful marketing campaigns?

The shame of the whole thing is that that product on the court is as good as it has been in over a decade.

+1+1+1

as to the charter problems tuesday night, let's not forget this is the same charter that recently filed bk. this is the same charter that fought a year long battle with CBS and refused to show channel 4 in high definition for over a year and ultimately threatened to not carry channel 4 at all.

it is my guess that this blame is solely on charter. no one else. i hate charter. but i also have a number of television stations at my house that makes it fiscally tough to switch to satellite. i would pay for uverse, but it isnt in my neighborhood yet. until then, i have charter who sucks.

Wasn't it reported that the signal coming from Philly wasnt strong enough to broadcast so that's why they had to get with CBS to get some type of footage? I wouldn't put it on them but maybe I'm not seeing it correctly. They also are out of bankruptcy and the reason they had issue's with CBS(channel 4) was because they wanted charter to have their customers pay more for their product and charter didnt want that. CBS was doing the samething to other companys during their issues with charter kinda like what is going on with the NFL network & other compamys as well. CBS, NFL Network, along with others are just trying to hand cuff companys and force them to raise customers bills. Atleast thats what I see and have read.

While I agree that he didn't say anything that was factually untrue, it was in no way objective reporting to claim that SLU is an "after-thought" to local sports fans. As soon as he said that he lost all credibility in my eyes.

Posted Image

best RapeVan® i ever saw was down at a mudding festival in lesterville. it was bright orange, jacked up tall as ######, and was basically identical to this one. no emblems, plates, anything identifiable except for a bumper sticker that said "don't laugh, your daughter's in here."

the two dudes driving (only visible because their completely murdered out windows were down) had about 10 teeth between them and appeared to be inebriated.

While I agree that he didn't say anything that was factually untrue, it was in no way objective reporting to claim that SLU is an "after-thought" to local sports fans. As soon as he said that he lost all credibility in my eyes.

Out of all of the bs in that article the "after-thought" quote really isn't that far off. Your average rams and card's fans look at SLU in the same light as when they see a report about WASH U winning a booby prize for going undefeated. He should've said "an after-thought to many local sports fans."

best RapeVan® i ever saw was down at a mudding festival in lesterville. it was bright orange, jacked up tall as ######, and was basically identical to this one. no emblems, plates, anything identifiable except for a bumper sticker that said "don't laugh, your daughter's in here."

the two dudes driving (only visible because their completely murdered out windows were down) had about 10 teeth between them and appeared to be inebriated.

AHHH MO-Lesterville, how I miss thee.

"Ideally they would have traveled with the team," but that isn't the setup all

the time now because the team flies commercial extensively now, he said. "We

never like to not have our guys there."

This was a telling comment to me. Came from Barrett though who is known as an idiot in his profession.

I echo the others sentiments. This is a rinky dink program. Just when our team is coming together the program appears to be falling apart from the inside.

First, to me, the question is "does the school care?" Does it care what DC says? Does it care that its considered "rinky-dink?" Having lived through these last three storms on the East Coast, I can tell you that flying, training or driving to the games in Philly and Ricmond were not an option. If the school does indeed care, I would recommend they answer the questions. If they don't, they don't. Majerus has said enough on his feelings with the A10 and travel. His excuse that folks keep askign doesn't wash. Because you can control the interview ..... "I am here to interview but I've said my piece on travel and the A10 so don't go there." "If you choose to go there, I will warn you again." "And if you insist, I end the interview, your call."

The problems with the travel were amplified by our weather situation out here. I was stunned La Salled played their game with us --- remember St. Joe's canceled their game same day down the street with the Bonnies. The Wizards cancelled games in DC. The Baltimore Blast cancelled an indoor soccer game last night (still). Maryland moved its game with Virginia from last Thursday to this Monday. The perfect storm literally crashed into this program at the same time Rick was bitching. It makes for great theater.

I like TEE's comment in the other thread where all this is a smoke screen. I don't think it is ---- charters are a no go as far as we all know --- so there is some internal griping going on here.

As for being in another conference, we would be less han DePaul in the Big East IF we went there with the same commitment we seem to have now. Last time I checked, while it was easier to get to Philly, DC, New York, Charlotte and Cincinnati than it is to get to Olean, Ricmond and Worcester, the same would be the situation in the Big East with repeat trips to those big towns, but with the smaller burgs replaced by places named Syracuse, Morgantown, and Storrs.

Again, how do all other schools do it? That's what I would like to know.

I tried the first softball with "Dierdorf." I'll pitch another one: Who covered the game for the Post?

I'm not sure that I get the Dierdorf reference but I certainly agree with you if you are suggesting that a newspaper that is too cheap to send the beat reporter to Philly for 4 days to cover two basketball games involving the local D1 team shouldn't be calling anyone "rinky-dink."

I'm not sure that I get the Dierdorf reference but I certainly agree with you if you are suggesting that a newspaper that is too cheap to send the beat reporter to Philly for 4 days to cover two basketball games involving the local D1 team shouldn't be calling anyone "rinky-dink."

If you still have the dead-tree version of yesterday's paper, read Bernie's column.