Dayton Daily News writer doesn't think the A10 is good fit for Dayton

brianstl

I get it. You don't like the A-10 or many of its programs even though most have had more success than SLU. So I say again - LEAVE. Most of the fans of other A-10 schools could care less. It is not like we would lose something special. Stop your constant whining. Petition your school to get you out. GO AS FAST AS POSSIBLE.

speaking of GO AS FAST AS POSSIBLE. Give it a try.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy is a Rhode Island fan. He was on the board about 2 years ago doing the exact same thing. Remember Rhode Island had some great success under Jum Harrick, one of the all-time great cheaters. He's famous for filing flase expense reports, sexual misconduct with university employees, and academic fraud.

Yes - I am a Rhode Island fan. Yes we had some success under Harrick and he has proven to be a sleaze. He had a great season reaching the Elite-8 one year at URI with his predecessors players. Harrick was at URI for all of two seasons, less time than RM has been at SLU. Rhody won NCAA games under the two coaches before him and even went to the Sweet-16. URI's success was not all Harrick and his big misdeeds were done elsewhere.

You presently have a coach that seems to have many character flaws. The stories that have been written about him portray a very disturbed individual. Your school has even recently been involved with recruiting bank robbers. All of what I have read seems to be counter to the mission of a Catholic school. I would suggest you refrain from casting stones at others given your circumstances.

Again - petition your school administration to get out of the A-10. You will not be missed. Go as fast as is possible.

The other teams all have to travel out to St Louis for games as well. Do you think their coaches and student athletes like it? I however don't see them continually in the media complaining about it.

SLU has been to the NCAA Tournament a total of six times. That puts it above only three A-10 members - SBU, Duquense, and Fordham.

Listed by NCAA tournament appearances

Temple - 27

Xavier - 20

Saint Joseph's - 20

Dayton - 14

Charlotte - 11

La Salle - 11

George Washington - 10

Rhode Island - 8

Richmond - 7

UMass - 7

Saint Louis - 6

Duquesne - 5

St. Bonaventure - 5

Fordham - 4

GO NOW!

RF. Wake up. First, if this were all about 1 long trip, there would be no complaints. Second, I am one of the outspoken critics on this Board who is IN FAVOR of the A10. I actually support our involvement in the A10. Others, mostly here locally, are fixated only on geography. I am not. I say it's better to travel some but be in a conference of similar schools (private/Catholic/urban/no football with similar value, academics and budgets. Third,without knowing which is your team, I'd venture to say that many of your "away" games are short and easy trips. If all of your team's away games were the equivalent to road games to St. Louis, then you would better understand.

Go back and answer my questions about the A10. Why cannot we play UD and X twice per year. Why no accomodations to limit travel so that we/others might play our road games on a Thursday & Saturday/Sunday basis? RM has been saying this for 3 years.

The other teams all have to travel out to St Louis for games as well. Do you think their coaches and student athletes like it? I however don't see them continually in the media complaining about it.

SLU has been to the NCAA Tournament a total of six times. That puts it above only three A-10 members - SBU, Duquense, and Fordham.

Listed by NCAA tournament appearances

Temple - 27

Xavier - 20

Saint Joseph's - 20

Dayton - 14

Charlotte - 11

La Salle - 11

George Washington - 10

Rhode Island - 8

Richmond - 7

UMass - 7

Saint Louis - 6

Duquesne - 5

St. Bonaventure - 5

Fordham - 4

GO NOW!

There's more to it than this. SLU was in a conference when some Eastern schools were still independents. At one time, before the expansion of the NCAA Tournament, the NCAA took only the conference champion. And SLU was in a conference with Louisville, Cincinnati, among others.

SLU does have 18 NIT appearances (19-17 record) and one NIT Championship.

I get it. You don't like the A-10 or many of its programs even though most have had more success than SLU. So I say again - LEAVE. Most of the fans of other A-10 schools could care less. It is not like we would lose something special. Stop your constant whining. Petition your school to get you out. GO AS FAST AS POSSIBLE.

rf, for the most part there are few saint louis university fans agreeing with majerus on this. and while clock and few others have noted shortcomings of the a-10 at least we have a vision of what would make the conference even better. why are you happy with the status quo on things like the tv contract and conference tourney? why wouldnt you as a rhody fan want the conference scheduling, recruiting and facilities to get better? it seems to me you are upset that saint louis fans want the conference to be all it can be. that makes little sense. while we have visions of being considered an equal of some of the bcs basketball conferences while you want us to shut up so the a-10 can continue to underachieve.

why not join us in suggesting the rest of the conference upgrade their vision and demand all the teams move up to a higher standard instead of wishing we go away. dont worry about majerus. he is playing his own power play in an effort to get a bigger seat on his flights to games. you should join us in wanting the a-10 to continue to improve. commish mcglade is doing a better job than brenda did. but we need all the teams to get on a higher mindset. until then, the a-10 will continue to put themselves in a position that the likes of majerus can make his claims. until we truly become better at every aspect, the a-10 will also put itself in the position it can be questioned.

rf, for the most part there are few saint louis university fans agreeing with majerus on this. and while clock and few others have noted shortcomings of the a-10 at least we have a vision of what would make the conference even better. why are you happy with the status quo on things like the tv contract and conference tourney? why wouldnt you as a rhody fan want the conference scheduling, recruiting and facilities to get better? it seems to me you are upset that saint louis fans want the conference to be all it can be. that makes little sense. while we have visions of being considered an equal of some of the bcs basketball conferences while you want us to shut up so the a-10 can continue to underachieve.

why not join us in suggesting the rest of the conference upgrade their vision and demand all the teams move up to a higher standard instead of wishing we go away. dont worry about majerus. he is playing his own power play in an effort to get a bigger seat on his flights to games. you should join us in wanting the a-10 to continue to improve. commish mcglade is doing a better job than brenda did. but we need all the teams to get on a higher mindset. until then, the a-10 will continue to put themselves in a position that the likes of majerus can make his claims. until we truly become better at every aspect, the a-10 will also put itself in the position it can be questioned.

+1

I too would like the league to improve. I however do not see the merit of denigrating the league and its members in a push to do so. I think that method does nothing other than further diminishing the league.

URI has done things on its own to improve its lot. Our arena was the newest facility up until Chaifetz opened. URI has a local TV partner and will have 18 of its 29 regular season games on local tv. Our program has basically been in either the NIT or NCAA every other year since it joined the A-10. During its time in the league, URI has five NCAA apearances and eight NIT bids and has gone to the Sweet-16 and Elite-8, compiled a winning postseason record, and has postseason wins over the likes of Kansas, Syracuse, Purdue, Missouri, Boston College, Vanderbilt, and Seton Hall. URI in the last three seasons is 37-6 in its OOC schedule with a 7-5 record against teams from the BCS leagues. URI is doing its part in bringing positive press to the A-10.

Yes - I am a Rhode Island fan. Yes we had some success under Harrick and he has proven to be a sleaze. He had a great season reaching the Elite-8 one year at URI with his predecessors players. Harrick was at URI for all of two seasons, less time than RM has been at SLU. Rhody won NCAA games under the two coaches before him and even went to the Sweet-16. URI's success was not all Harrick and his big misdeeds were done elsewhere.

You presently have a coach that seems to have many character flaws. The stories that have been written about him portray a very disturbed individual. Your school has even recently been involved with recruiting bank robbers. All of what I have read seems to be counter to the mission of a Catholic school. I would suggest you refrain from casting stones at others given your circumstances.

Again - petition your school administration to get out of the A-10. You will not be missed. Go as fast as is possible.

RF. So now SLU is recruiting bank robbers??? Don't you mean that some students were victims of crime - confronted on campus by robbers who were then apprehended by campus police!!! Where does it say that RM was offering these robbers a scholarship to play basketball. Nice to hear, though, that RI has no crime.

If you are interested:

If you, instead, are trying to smear us with rumors of the basketball player (player unknown to me) who had criminal dealings, it has long ago been documented that SLU and RM was not recruiting that kid. If you have a link or other proof, then please provide. Since you, however, want to bring up events 20 years old, tell us all the inside scoop as to what placed Rhody on NCAA probation. How were the Harrick years. How many NCAA appearances have you had since?

http://www.kmov.com/news/just-posted/Two-s...s-82063672.html

If you have a degree from RI you should give it back. Again, the discussion of leaving the A-10 has nothing to do with the teams/schools in the league but the travel required to play them.

After hearing that recent resume I can assure you that nobody here will ever talk ill of RI again. You guys are awesome.

I too would like the league to improve. I however do not see the merit of denigrating the league and its members in a push to do so. I think that method does nothing other than further diminishing the league.

URI has done things on its own to improve its lot. Our arena was the newest facility up until Chaifetz opened. URI has a local TV partner and will have 18 of its 29 regular season games on local tv. Our program has basically been in either the NIT or NCAA every other year since it joined the A-10. During its time in the league, URI has five NCAA apearances and eight NIT bids and has gone to the Sweet-16 and Elite-8, compiled a winning postseason record, and has postseason wins over the likes of Kansas, Syracuse, Purdue, Missouri, Boston College, Vanderbilt, and Seton Hall. URI in the last three seasons is 37-6 in its OOC schedule with a 7-5 record against teams from the BCS leagues. URI is doing its part in bringing positive press to the A-10.

so what, you think that we as a whole are happy and agreement with majerus playing this game with the media in his fight for charter flights to make his life easier? if you took the time to read the other related threads the past week you would see that some of the biggest backers of coach majerus have basically said he needs to shut up on this issue.

i am glad to hear that rhody has indeed done their part. now you need to join us in pushing for the rest of the league that isnt doing their part to upgrade their facilities, budgets, schedules and recruiting in an effort to be all that each of them can be. and then stand behind ms mcglade when she tries to upgrade our tv schedule and interacts with the other conferences to enjoy competing with the a-10 as well.

your attacks on us are unfounded. yes majerus shouldnt be spouting off, but that is between rick and the saint louis university administration. many of us have voiced our concern with the administration on his press leaks, and now it is up to slu officials to do their job.

but again, saint louis fans are committed to being in the absolutely best conference and that conference is the atlantic 10. but that said we will always push to improve. slu fans will not be about status quo.

RF-

Meet you at the Library Annex Wednesday at 6pm. Rhode Island is a joke of a school.

RF. So now SLU is recruiting bank robbers??? Don't you mean that some students were victims of crime - confronted on campus by robbers who were then apprehended by campus police!!! Where does it say that RM was offering these robbers a scholarship to play basketball. Nice to hear, though, that RI has no crime.

If you are interested:

If you, instead, are trying to smear us with rumors of the basketball player (player unknown to me) who had criminal dealings, it has long ago been documented that SLU and RM was not recruiting that kid. If you have a link or other proof, then please provide. Since you, however, want to bring up events 20 years old, tell us all the inside scoop as to what placed Rhody on NCAA probation. How were the Harrick years. How many NCAA appearances have you had since?

http://www.kmov.com/news/just-posted/Two-s...s-82063672.html

clock i am sure he is referring to the young man from the west coast that majerus offered a scholarship last summer and then was arrested for bank robbery. if you remember, it took slu administration pressure for rickma to indeed withdraw the offer as he wanted to wait until the justice system ran it's course. i dont blame RF1 for bringing this up. it indeed was a black eye on the program to be involved with the kid and especially distasteful when we didnt withdraw the offer immediately.

yes majerus shouldnt be spouting off, but that is between rick and the saint louis university administration.

It isn't just between Rick and SLU when he brings the A-10 into public discussion and east coast newspapers pick up the story and our coaches and Ad's have to react. I however wish it were just between Rick and SLU but that is not the case.

clock i am sure he is referring to the young man from the west coast that majerus offered a scholarship last summer and then was arrested for bank robbery. if you remember, it took slu administration pressure for rickma to indeed withdraw the offer as he wanted to wait until the justice system ran it's course. i dont blame RF1 for bringing this up. it indeed was a black eye on the program to be involved with the kid and especially distasteful when we didnt withdraw the offer immediately.

Yes, I recall the event but I also recall (not certain) that respected insiders like Billikan and BReport denied any scholarsip was offered. Instead, there were rumors of such scholarship and that Board opinion was near unanimous that SLU should have nothing to do with such a kid and SLU real fault was not being agreesive enough in distancing themselves from the kid. Slow to distance does not mean SLU was recruiting, or worse, still recruiting.

Then again, if that non-event is the worst a conference rival can throw at us, we're in pretty good shape.

It isn't just between Rick and SLU when he brings the A-10 into public discussion and east coast newspapers pick up the story and our coaches and Ad's have to react. I however wish it were just between Rick and SLU but that is not the case.

agree completely. what are you suggesting we as fans do? many of us have honored the "chain-of-command" and voiced our displeasure to the athletic director. i wouldnt be surprised if some of the heavy hitter boosters have went straight to father biondi. many of us have expressed our disappointment with rickma's open remarks not only on this message board, but the a-10 board and the local newpaper messageboards. what else do you want us to do? i mean these rican brother guys can probably go rough him up for you or something. my gosh, have some sense.

so why are you telling us?

There are very few on here that want out of the A10. The vast majority of posters on this board think the A10 is the place for us sans a midwest catholic school type of conference, which I'm sure you could see the benefits of for us. You coming on here and acting like an idiot is silly, as like I said the large majority of us agree with you on the merits of the A10. Had you read any of the 5,911 other threads on the subject you'd know that.

RF. Again, I was in favor of us joining the A10 and still believe it is the best for SLU despite the problems. At the same time, I cannot blame everything on the former commissioner. I question why the conference HQ are in Virginia? I question why the league schedules the way it does, especially for a school like us that has built-in geographic challenges. RM has complained, more discreetly than now, these past 3 years. I question the basis upon how the league chooses which teams we play twice. I question the Conf Tourny arrangements. I question the "improvements" to the TV contract. I question why the A10 has zero presence here in St. Louis (no radio, TV, newspaper mention of anything conference related)...

Maybe our new AD is not getting the message across to the league and fellow schools. Maybe the league and fellow schools are simply refusing to make any accomodations. Maybe it takes some media attention to shake things up in the league office. If so, I say "great!!"

I suppose "brenda" = Bruno, Linda?

Read this from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette and you will see how his words are being viewed across the A-10 footprint outside St. Louis.

http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/du...ut-the-a10.aspx

So..this says...about the same thing everyone here is? The league has its problems, the conference doesn't have great leadership, and that SLU should be taking chartered flights.

Woaaaah man.

Go back to your Lamar Odom porn tapes.

So..this says...about the same thing everyone here is? The league has its problems, the conference doesn't have great leadership, and that SLU should be taking chartered flights.

Woaaaah man.

Go back to your Lamar Odom porn tapes.

And you can go back to holding the towel for Rick when he does his business.

And you can go back to holding the towel for Rick when he does his business.

Rick has shits that are smarter and more rational than you, sir. LEAVE GO NOW. Before I insult your precious A10 again. Go get ready for your beatdown Feb 17th?

Paystubs.