TT's Blog on Ellis

So he would have been better off sitting in warm weather doing nothing at all? I think Ellis will probably play this year. However, just to clue you in to reality, Ellis would NOT wait until November to start playing basketball if he took the redshirt. He could redshirt and begin to work out with the team immediately and save a year of eligibility if that's what he wanted to do.

Use your brains.

So, to you, his options are:

1. Flying to SLU, practicing 8,000 miles from his home with kids he is probably better than for one year, he will be 21 before he plays one college game

2. Going pro in Australia

Use your brain.

I say, he will play, and be a big contributer soon.

1. Flying to SLU, practicing 8,000 miles from his home with kids he is probably better than for one year, he will be 21 before he plays one college game

Use your brain.

I agree. C'mon it's basketball. Ellis, and this team, are only going to get better if he plays NOW, not next year.

Use your brain.

Use your brain, and perhaps try a little reading comprehension. I never said that he wouldn't play for us this year. I've said that I think he will play and contribute.

Also, the Aussie NBL regular season ends by the middle of February. He could probably sign a contract and play, but he's missed almost 75% of the season. Do you expect him to go pro for 5 weeks right now?

Use your brain.

You are incorrect about his age.

Use your brain, and perhaps try a little reading comprehension. I never said that he wouldn't play for us this year. I've said that I think he will play and contribute.

Also, the Aussie NBL regular season ends by the middle of February. He could probably sign a contract and play, but he's missed almost 75% of the season. Do you expect him to go pro for 5 weeks right now?

No, but I don't think he expected to leave a tropical climate and beautiful beaches for the polar cap, then cross 4 time zones, and have to give up vegimite to sit on his a** watching his new mates lose games they might possibly win if he were playing. I don't know what RM's thinking here by saying it's best for him to redshirt. Play him... hell, start him... really!

I agree. C'mon it's basketball. Ellis, and this team, are only going to get better if he plays NOW, not next year.

GMan, I completely agree with you.

This whole "play or redshirt" is probably the most ridiculous discussion on this Board since the "fire or retain BS" debates.

This recruit has probably caused the most enthusiasm for Billiken MBB since the hiring of RM. Since he signed the LOI none of could wait to see him on the court. Part of our expectations were based on the fact that he was a year older than other FR recruits and had International experience. All along he has been viewed as our top recruit. Then because of an unbelievable level of incompetence at the NCAA Clearinghouse (I have other names for it) RM somhow floats the trial balloon about the possibility of CE redshirting. HUH???????? How can our top recruit help us by redshirting??? Especially when he might be our only 3/4 type player who can shoot from the perimeter.

Have we all been discussing his arrival since August with the thought in mind that he was not going to play this year? Hell, if I had thought that I could have saved hours of time just bypassing all the Cody Ellis threads. We were excited because we thought he could improve this years team, even when it became obvious that he wouldn't play until Jan. I really think this is just another time when RM opens his mouth without thinking first. This was truly a stupid idea on his part-he might be a great coach, but he doesn't know when to shut the *&@# up! The ONLY possible reason for CE to redshirt is to preserve a full 4th year of eligibility which would be the 2013-14 year, a year after his buddy (CS) has gone home. Can we all wake up and get real on this subject. CE, for any number of reasons (most already cited in this thread), would NOT be a Billiken in 2013-14. He would be long gone to play for pay. Additionally, if we really need him that bad 4 years from now then we haven't made the progress that we all are anticipating.

I know some of you have made a few arguments for why CE should redshirt, but the simple fact is, his sitting out the rest of this year is of no value to the team now or 4 years from now, since he'd very likely be gone by then anyway.

As Bernie likes to say, "FREE CODY ELLIS," and free him now!

This whole "play or redshirt" is probably the most ridiculous discussion on this Board since the "fire or retain BS" debates.

Since RM is the one saying he should redshirt, it's probably a worthwhile discussion while there is a break from games. I think everyone wants Ellis to contribute right away. This has actually been a fairly decent discussion IMO. At least compared to most on here.

GMan, I completely agree with you.

This recruit has probably caused the most enthusiasm for Billiken MBB since the hiring of RM. Since he signed the LOI none of could wait to see him on the court. Part of our expectations were based on the fact that he was a year older than other FR recruits and had International experience. All along he has been viewed as our top recruit. Then because of an unbelievable level of incompetence at the NCAA Clearinghouse (I have other names for it) RM somhow floats the trial balloon about the possibility of CE redshirting. HUH???????? How can our top recruit help us by redshirting??? Especially when he might be our only 3/4 type player who can shoot from the perimeter.

Have we all been discussing his arrival since August with the thought in mind that he was not going to play this year? Hell, if I had thought that I could have saved hours of time just bypassing all the Cody Ellis threads. We were excited because we thought he could improve this years team, even when it became obvious that he wouldn't play until Jan. I really think this is just another time when RM opens his mouth without thinking first. This was truly a stupid idea on his part-he might be a great coach, but he doesn't know when to shut the *&@# up! The ONLY possible reason for CE to redshirt is to preserve a full 4th year of eligibility which would be the 2013-14 year, a year after his buddy (CS) has gone home. Can we all wake up and get real on this subject. CE, for any number of reasons (most already cited in this thread), would NOT be a Billiken in 2013-14. He would be long gone to play for pay. Additionally, if we really need him that bad 4 years from now then we haven't made the progress that we all are anticipating.

I know some of you have made a few arguments for why CE should redshirt, but the simple fact is, his sitting out the rest of this year is of no value to the team now or 4 years from now, since he'd very likely be gone by then anyway.

As Bernie likes to say, "FREE CODY ELLIS," and free him now!

You make some good points and I would be shocked if Ellis actually redshirts, but one reason Majerus might be floating it out there is to take a little pressure off of Cody and lower the expectations for him right off the bat. RM is making the point that Cody will be way behind the rest of the team and that we shouldn't expect him to come in and dominate like Larry Hughes did. The other thing you have to understand about RM is that it seems like in an ideal world he would like to redshirt just about every freshman, add the fact that Ellis has missed so much time, it stands to reason that he would mention it. Majerus gives us something to talk about. It's not dull.

On another point, why in the world was the keep BS, fire BS discussion "ridiculous." It made perfect sense and was a very relevant issue regarding the future of the program. Sure, the debates would sometimes take ridiculous turns, but the topic was certainly pertinent... and a lot more so than the Cody issue, which I agree with you is pretty much a non-issue.

Since RM is the one saying he should redshirt, it's probably a worthwhile discussion while there is a break from games. I think everyone wants Ellis to contribute right away. This has actually been a fairly decent discussion IMO. At least compared to most on here.

Kevin-my point is that the redshirt idea is totally without merit for the reasons cited in my post and the post of others in this thread. Just a really bad idea, fueled by a HC who often opens mouth and inserts foot. The guy can coach and probably recruit (at least better than the previous few Billiken HCs) but he lacks a certain amount of class and the ability "to think first, speak later." In general, I'm glad he's our HC, but that doesn't make him right about everything he does.

I have no problem with RM having a private discussion with Cody about the pros and cons of redshirting, but two points: 1) Don't talk about it publicly before discussing it with CE and 2) have the discussion before he spends thousands of $$$ and lots of time (I'm sure the phones work between here and Perth) getting to STL.

You make some good points and I would be shocked if Ellis actually redshirts, but one reason Majerus might be floating it out there is to take a little pressure off of Cody and lower the expectations for him right off the bat. RM is making the point that Cody will be way behind the rest of the team and that we shouldn't expect him to come in and dominate like Larry Hughes did. The other thing you have to understand about RM is that it seems like in an ideal world he would like to redshirt just about every freshman, add the fact that Ellis has missed so much time, it stands to reason that he would mention it. Majerus gives us something to talk about. It's not dull.

On another point, why in the world was the keep BS, fire BS discussion "ridiculous." It made perfect sense and was a very relevant issue regarding the future of the program. Sure, the debates would sometimes take ridiculous turns, but the topic was certainly pertinent... and a lot more so than the Cody issue, which I agree with you is pretty much a non-issue.

Ace-I was referring to the BS discussions after he was fired.

I agree it was a very valid discussion when he was still the coach. It seems like just about any high profile Football/BB /SLU soccer HC is fair game for the retain/fire discussion.

I agree. He's been playing his whole life. He's probably very sound fundamentally since his dad was a star and probably schooled him. If he can stay on his man, block out and SHOOT, he will contribute immediately.

No, you are spinning it like a democrat with the majority.

I say, when it was clear several months ago that Cody would not get in school until January, that is when he made his decision:

1. play pro now in Australia, or

2. go to SLU and play ball in Jan.

What a ridiculous decision it would have been to decide in early fall 2009 to go to SLU Jan 2010, redshirt, practice with SLU kids and start playing in Nov 2010.

He wants to play ball, see what he can do against real NCAA competition, learn big man skills from RM.

Wouldnt you think? Otherwise, he will be collecting social security by the time he plays his senior year.

No, you are spinning it like a democrat with the majority.

I say, when it was clear several months ago that Cody would not get in school until January, that is when he made his decision:

1. play pro now in Australia, or

2. go to SLU and play ball in Jan.

What a ridiculous decision it would have been to decide in early fall 2009 to go to SLU Jan 2010, redshirt, practice with SLU kids and start playing in Nov 2010.

He wants to play ball, see what he can do against real NCAA competition, learn big man skills from RM.

Wouldnt you think? Otherwise, he will be collecting social security by the time he plays his senior year.

Who is doing the spin here? This is the first time in the thread you made a mention of him deciding several months ago. Besides, from what we've been told the only reason he's eligible is because of his SAT score. He finally got a high enough score in December. Last fall the university was telling us the problem had to do with a pass/fail class and we were waiting for the NCAA to clear him. This was the line into December, as I recall. As far as we know, the NCAA never cleared him for that class. Are you saying there was some kind of guarantee that he would get the SAT score that he needed? If it were that easy, why didn't he already have the score?

There was plenty of optimism on the board that he would be cleared to play and could start at SLU even if he missed the first 2 or 3 weeks of class. By that point, the Aussie season would have already started (not that he couldn't have tried to sign with a team). Until he got a high enough score on the SAT, there was never a guarantee that he could play in January.

Kevin-my point is that the redshirt idea is totally without merit for the reasons cited in my post and the post of others in this thread. Just a really bad idea, fueled by a HC who often opens mouth and inserts foot. The guy can coach and probably recruit (at least better than the previous few Billiken HCs) but he lacks a certain amount of class and the ability "to think first, speak later." In general, I'm glad he's our HC, but that doesn't make him right about everything he does.

I have no problem with RM having a private discussion with Cody about the pros and cons of redshirting, but two points: 1) Don't talk about it publicly before discussing it with CE and 2) have the discussion before he spends thousands of $$$ and lots of time (I'm sure the phones work between here and Perth) getting to STL.

And the pro-redshirt posters think the idea has merit because, (a) he has already missed 1/2 of a year on a team too inexperienced to go anywhere this post-season (B) it is not like the kid is a McDonald's All-american that will step in and be the next Larry Hughes © I believe a college degree usually takes 4 years, of which he has already missed 1/2, so there is no reason he should be skipping his senior year unless he has no intention of being at SLU for 4 years (d) guys like Derrick Brooks and Randal Faulker were a hell of a lot better as 5th year seniors than 2nd year freshmen not to mention the 1st year they redshirted - the SIU model worked until all their players started leaving early or getting kicked off the team due to criminal behavior (e) time and again SLU screwed this up in the past with Danny Brown, Ian V, and Luke Meyer not redshirting.

However, if the kid wants to play, I would let him play, with all he has been through.

[Majerus] can coach and probably recruit (at least better than the previous few Billiken HCs) but he lacks a certain amount of class and the ability "to think first, speak later." In general, I'm glad he's our HC, but that doesn't make him right about everything he does.

One example of that was his comments to students that SLU should immediately leave the A-10 and join a certain midwestern conference.

Just a really bad idea, fueled by a HC who often opens mouth and inserts foot. The guy can coach and probably recruit (at least better than the previous few Billiken HCs) but he lacks a certain amount of class and the ability "to think first, speak later." In general, I'm glad he's our HC, but that doesn't make him right about everything he does.

AMEN!!!!

One example of that was his comments to students that SLU should immediately leave the A-10 and join a certain midwestern conference.

Your opinion.

I say, good for him.

He would rather be right than President.

Kevin-my point is that the redshirt idea is totally without merit for the reasons cited in my post and the post of others in this thread. Just a really bad idea, fueled by a HC who often opens mouth and inserts foot.

We know you don't like Majerus, and we know that Majerus has put his foot in his mouth from time to time. (Some of us view it as refreshing candor that is part of his charm.) However, it is unfair and misplaced to imply that Majerus has put his foot in his mouth by floating the redshirt idea. In fact, it makes a lot of sense for Cody's development to sit out the next 2 months rather than try to play catch-up while he is out of shape, adjusting to a brand new complicated system, and facing stiff conference foes rather than exhibition opponents and cupcakes. Majerus has floated the suggestion because he is looking out for the kid's best interests. Personally, I selfishly hoped Cody didn't redshirt, but I compliment Majerus for having the sensibility to present the pros and cons to the kid and let the kid decide.

We know you don't like Majerus, and we know that Majerus has put his foot in his mouth from time to time. (Some of us view it as refreshing candor that is part of his charm.) However, it is unfair and misplaced to imply that Majerus has put his foot in his mouth by floating the redshirt idea. In fact, it makes a lot of sense for Cody's development to sit out the next 2 months rather than try to play catch-up while he is out of shape, adjusting to a brand new complicated system, and facing stiff conference foes rather than exhibition opponents and cupcakes. Majerus has floated the suggestion because he is looking out for the kid's best interests. Personally, I selfishly hoped Cody didn't redshirt, but I compliment Majerus for having the sensibility to present the pros and cons to the kid and let the kid decide.

I think Ellis will play. However, this does tell us that RM seems to be in this for the long haul IMO (or at least as long as a guy his age can do it). He's not in panic mode.

AMEN!!!!

Sorry, that's just stupid. How does what Majerus say about possibly redshirting the kid lack class? You have got to be kidding. Most coaches would selflishly want to get the kid out there as soon as possible. Coach is at least willing to take the long-term view, which is typically very difficult for young people to see. For all the Ellis has been through, I completely understand Majerus raising the possibility. He is also raising some of these issues about the obstacles Ellis has faced, so people don't expect miracles right away.