Bowling Green

We'll be the 4th A10 opponent for BGSU this season. They were smoked at XU and Temple and won a game at Fordham. BGSU hasn't played a home game since 12/3, and is 6-5 overall. Considering we haven't played a road game since 12/2, this might be interesting to see how each team reacts. They've lost a couple of close games, but haven't beaten anybody particularly good. They appear to have a fairly balanced attack, with their top 6 players averaging between about 6.5 and 10.5 ppg.

I think road wins will be tough for our young players this year, but this is the kind of game you need to win if you're really going to turn the corner. I'll feel much better about how we'll perform in conference play if we can take this one.

Otis Polk is their big man and is 6'9" 285. He averages about 10 points a game and about 9 rebounds, nearly a double-double. He has also had a decent number of block shots, though nothing on the order of Willie. I suspect that he will be hanging on Willie, especially given his weight advantage and this will likely be their plan to limit Reed's scoring. If this is so, it will be a chance for Smith or Remekun to step up tonight. They have another big as well, but I do not think that he is nearly as BIG as Polk. Should be interesting, but certainly a chance for the Bills to pick up a rare road win.

A ridiculously in-depth game preview, courtesy of BGSU. Apparently, they were legitimate "rivals" in the Macauley era.

I think someone else posted this already, but when they held a game over Thanksgiving break, they had a grand total of 1,321 in the house. They only had 100 more for Savannah State with kids in town. Their students won't be back for another week.

Otis Polk is their big man and is 6'9" 285. He averages about 10 points a game and about 9 rebounds, nearly a double-double. He has also had a decent number of block shots, though nothing on the order of Willie. I suspect that he will be hanging on Willie, especially given his weight advantage and this will likely be their plan to limit Reed's scoring. If this is so, it will be a chance for Smith or Remekun to step up tonight. They have another big as well, but I do not think that he is nearly as BIG as Polk. Should be interesting, but certainly a chance for the Bills to pick up a rare road win.

If that is true then we will need to be able to hit our perimeter shots - seems like every road games comes down to us having to hit perimeter shots - lets hope this is a different game then what we have seen so far on this account on the road.

I've seen 2 SIU-E home games on Charter in the last week. They have more games televised than we do. That has to be corrected.

Until CBS College Sports who has the rights to all A10 games decide to sell the product at a more reasonable price any station in town will not want to pick us up. SIUE is on because Charter gets it free - we use to have that slot until CSTV got the A10 TV contract.

Speaking of the Bills on TV, I understand the restrictions associated with the CSTV arrangement, but also noticed recently that every other placard in the 'Fetz men's restroom advertises the Billikens on FoxSports. I found this advertising strategy a bit strange since only 3 of the remaining contests are slated to appear on that station. And since they are all home games, is it safe to assume that the Athletic Dept would prefer that we watch the game on TV. As long as the games are not blacked out. it definitely provides a more cost effective way to catch the Bills in action. :-)

Speaking of the Bills on TV, I understand the restrictions associated with the CSTV arrangement, but also noticed recently that every other placard in the 'Fetz men's restroom advertises the Billikens on FoxSports. I found this advertising strategy a bit strange since only 3 of the remaining contests are slated to appear on that station. And since they are all home games, is it safe to assume that the Athletic Dept would prefer that we watch the game on TV. As long as the games are not blacked out. it definitely provides a more cost effective way to catch the Bills in action. :-)

Why do you jerk flamers have to keep changing names? Just stay with the same ones so we know who to ignore!

The difference between playing at home and the road in cbb is just amazing. I am certain we would be a double-digit favorite at home.

According to today's Post, the team has been there since Thursday. If there's ever a time to win a road game, this would be it. They've probably had at least one full practice plus a walk-thru today. Plus they get to see "Blazing Zippers"!

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...83?OpenDocument

Home games are cheaper for the local channels - including FSM - to televise - common sense. Also, any game that is televised is being picked up in homes who live out of the metropolitan area and gives exposure to the casual fan who may very well decide to come to a game based on what they see - also common sense.

Home games are cheaper for the local channels - including FSM - to televise - common sense. Also, any game that is televised is being picked up in homes who live out of the metropolitan area and gives exposure to the casual fan who may very well decide to come to a game based on what they see - also common sense.

Yeah, but it is also common sense to televise the games that your fan base is unable to attend. Understand what you're saying, but the original poster certainly has a point. If people are seeing the advertisements in Chaifetz for FMW games, those same people will most likely be in the arena for said game.

Yeah, but it is also common sense to televise the games that your fan base is unable to attend. Understand what you're saying, but the original poster certainly has a point. If people are seeing the advertisements in Chaifetz for FMW games, those same people will most likely be in the arena for said game.

i love watching the games on the TVs in the arena when i'm rocking back in forth in line at the concession stand trying to remember how to ask for another beer. i also love S&BJ nights. and ice fishing. and the smile on a child's face when they learn that daddy hits mommy because he loves her. and so on.

or imagine being magically whisked away to... delaware.

I understand that the more publicity the team gets, the better off we are in the long run. However, it does bug me a little bit that we're showing some local games on tv while we have empty seats in the building. It's a tradeoff for sure, but I can understand both sides of the debate. More tv brings an image of a better program.

Anyway, winning more games will take care of all this. Let's go Bills!

Home games are cheaper for the local channels - including FSM - to televise - common sense.

How much cheaper? The only additional cost the local channel incurs in a road game is its own announcer -- and not even that, if it does at it did in Georgia, and use the Femijohn set of announcers.

How much cheaper? The only additional cost the local channel incurs in a road game is its own announcer -- and not even that, if it does at it did in Georgia, and use the Femijohn set of announcers.

What is a Femijohn type of announcer?

Bonwich, I think it depends upon who is doing the production. If the game is already being produced for TV and the local networks are just being offered to broadcast it, then I don't think there is any cost difference between home and away. If, however, the broadcaster is also producing the game, then there should be a significant difference in cost because they would have to send equipment, a camera and technical crew, production people, etc. on the road.

Bonwich, I think it depends upon who is doing the production. If the game is already being produced for TV and the local networks are just being offered to broadcast it, then I don't think there is any cost difference between home and away. If, however, the broadcaster is also producing the game, then there should be a significant difference in cost because they would have to send equipment, a camera and technical crew, production people, etc. on the road.

I can't say this for sure, but I'd lay odds that the number of times a St. Louis station sends a full crew is zero.