(OT) Temple football could it effect the A-10??

BLIKNS

Well it seems that maybe just maybe Temple football matters,this season the Owls are 6-2(bowl eligible) (4-0) in the MAC,one of the losses was to Penn State.

What if Temple runs the table and wins the MAC,is there going to be pressure from the MAC to try to get them to be a full member,all sports?

Does Temple try to get more involved with football?

Did I just waste a couple minutes of your time?

Well it seems that maybe just maybe Temple football matters,this season the Owls are 6-2(bowl eligible) (4-0) in the MAC,one of the losses was to Penn State.

What if Temple runs the table and wins the MAC,is there going to be pressure from the MAC to try to get them to be a full member,all sports?

i have always believed that when the next conference shuffle comes, it will come because of football. who knows, something that seems relatively minor in the ncaa world, might be the spark that sets it all off.

I don't think I could see them becoming a full member of the MAC. Up until just a few years ago, Temple was a member of the Big East for football, and the A-14 for all other sports. If anything, their football success might make them more attractive to the Big East again. Obviously, the Big East already has Villanova, but if a conference shakeup were to ever occur, Temple might be a better candidate for inclusion in the Big East due to its size, resources as a public university, and athletic success.

I don't think I could see them becoming a full member of the MAC. Up until just a few years ago, Temple was a member of the Big East for football, and the A-14 for all other sports. If anything, their football success might make them more attractive to the Big East again. Obviously, the Big East already has Villanova, but if a conference shakeup were to ever occur, Temple might be a better candidate for inclusion in the Big East due to its size, resources as a public university, and athletic success.

And it also happens to be located in the East.

Last I saw, the MAC had like four of the top ten teams in the Bottom Ten ---- Miami, Eastern Michigan, Kent, and maybe one more. Being 4 and 0 in the MAC ain't exactly playing real football ala the Big Ten, the Southeast, the Pac 10 and so on. And I'm not even counting the Big East in that real football. The Big East has not a single team ranked in the preseason and does anyone really believe Cincinnati is the fourth best team in the nation?

Penn State rose to #4 on the strength of beating Akron, Temple and Syracuse. In my book, there are three college teams this year ---- Florida, Texas and Alabama. And one of those will lose out due to the Florida/Alabama game. Boise. Cincinnati. TCU. Pretenders all in my book. But, on any given day ......

Oregon looks good also, but they lost their opener at Boise. Oh well ......

Last I saw, the MAC had like four of the top ten teams in the Bottom Ten ---- Miami, Eastern Michigan, Kent, and maybe one more. Being 4 and 0 in the MAC ain't exactly playing real football ala the Big Ten, the Southeast, the Pac 10 and so on. And I'm not even counting the Big East in that real football. The Big East has not a single team ranked in the preseason and does anyone really believe Cincinnati is the fourth best team in the nation?

Penn State rose to #4 on the strength of beating Akron, Temple and Syracuse. In my book, there are three college teams this year ---- Florida, Texas and Alabama. And one of those will lose out due to the Florida/Alabama game. Boise. Cincinnati. TCU. Pretenders all in my book. But, on any given day ......

Oregon looks good also, but they lost their opener at Boise. Oh well ......

And LSU is where??

Gister --- last I saw, LSU did not play offense.

College football, to me, is not the same as it used to be. It's just another option for my disposable entertainment dollar. Geaux Tigers is cute; not a religion or passion. I reserve that for Billiken basketball. In my younger days, I'd be a caged tiger myself, waiting for today's Ohio State/Penn State game. Today --- gee I hope I remember its on.

Even the Phillies --- despite the World Series, I had work in the morning and hit the remote around 10 or 1030. So it goes.

MAC football seems down a little this year, Taj, but it's usually a pretty tough conference. Last year, Ball State was a juggernaut, and the teams in the conference have a history of knocking off BCS teams. The MAC also produced pros like Ben Roethlisberger. I'm hoping the Rams' next QB will be Central Michigan's Dan LeFevour.

Temple beat Ohio last night to go to 7-2. A pretty nice turnaround for a team that won just one game 2-3 years ago.

MAC football seems down a little this year, Taj, but it's usually a pretty tough conference. Last year, Ball State was a juggernaut, and the teams in the conference have a history of knocking off BCS teams. The MAC also produced pros like Ben Roethlisberger. I'm hoping the Rams' next QB will be Central Michigan's Dan LeFevour.

Temple beat Ohio last night to go to 7-2. A pretty nice turnaround for a team that won just one game 2-3 years ago.

I could handle LeFevour in the second round and Dez Bryant in the first.

I could handle LeFevour in the second round and Dez Bryant in the first.

Isn't Dez abit high for the first or second overal pick?? :)

Or are you suggesting the Rams actually continue this "win streak" and pick abit latter on? Actually, I think the Rams might win 2 more games this year. Just think they are starting to respond to Spags.

Isn't Dez abit high for the first or second overal pick?? :)

Or are you suggesting the Rams actually continue this "win streak" and pick abit latter on? Actually, I think the Rams might win 2 more games this year. Just think they are starting to respond to Spags.

That would be to high to take Bryant. I think the Rams might win a couple more games and drop a few spots.

That would be to high to take Bryant. I think the Rams might win a couple more games and drop a few spots.

I'm thinking Seattle and either Tennessee or Houston are potential Ws.

We definitely need to pick up some playmakers. It's unfortunate that we took Avery over DeSean Jackson, or there'd be one fewer hole to fill.

Temple beat Miami University Thursday night, 34-32 on field goal with 3 seconds remaining. Not Ohio. Is Temple going back to the Big East-not anytime soon. It would only happen if there is a shakeup of the BE and if that occurs other teams may also be discussed in the mix. One being Miami University. But that also isn't likely to occur anytime soon. I have long thought a breakup of the BE into BB only playing schools and schools with BB and FB was and may still be a likely scenario. There were several in the MAC who weren't in favor of picking up Temple for FB only. There are many who still aren't. Discussions continue about inclusion of Temple into the MAC for other sports, including BB. Where those discussions are headed with a new MAC Commissioner this year remain to be seen. Personally, if Temple doesn't feel inclined to be a full time member of the MAC then perhaps its FB team needs to find another home. Perenially a lower tier FB team, Al Golden the last few years has done a very good job recruiting. That has elevated Temple FB recently, i.e. this year. Of course that also coincides with the MAC being down this year in terms of overall conference wide talent. For instance Miami is down again, following last years 2-10 team with a 1-8 record this year. However, Miami is also playing 40% freshman and sophs on the two deep, under first year HC Mike Haywood, OC at ND last year. He is reshaping the team and next year could very well be a different story. Miami is the 20th ranked team alltime DI football in wins and winning percentage. So MAC could look different next year. Potentially next great MAC QB-with the graduation this year of Dan Lefevour of CMU and Dan Hiller of Western Michigan, redshirt freshman Zac Dysert of Miami University. Since being installed as the starter, in 7 starts, 4 games over 330 yards passing including 427 against Temple earlier this week. He definitely is looking like a MAC star. Remains to be seen. Obviously I follow the MAC closely so if anyone has any questions on the MAC, FB, BB whatever, fire away. More than happy to answer.

Does anyone know how many A-10 members field Football teams besides Temple? Pretty sure these field 1-AA teams or lower, ie not club football, Richmond, UMass, Dayton, RI, Fordham, Duquense, X (not sure but it may be the club variety). I know Charlotte was heading toward establishing FB a couple of years ago, but don't think anything came of it. What I recall is they wanted to be comparable to a CUSA team. Am not sure that LaSalle, St. B's, St. J's, or GWU fields an FB team. Point in this is, while the A-10 will never become a BCS FB conference, one wonders if someday they wouldn't consider only including schools with FB programs. Of course, the Big Easy doesn't require it so it's unlikely the A-10 would. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a BE implosion and seeing where the chips might fall. Finally, I know because economic times are tough, this is the wrong time to bring it up, but SLU could probably afford a FB program, non scholarship, on par with a Dayton or Villanova. Soccer's nice, but I'll bet a FB program, even a low level one, would bring out the students if for nothing else than the tailgate parties.

Does anyone know how many A-10 members field Football teams besides Temple? Pretty sure these field 1-AA teams or lower, ie not club football, Richmond, UMass, Dayton, RI, Fordham, Duquense, X (not sure but it may be the club variety). I know Charlotte was heading toward establishing FB a couple of years ago, but don't think anything came of it. What I recall is they wanted to be comparable to a CUSA team. Am not sure that LaSalle, St. B's, St. J's, or GWU fields an FB team. Point in this is, while the A-10 will never become a BCS FB conference, one wonders if someday they wouldn't consider only including schools with FB programs. Of course, the Big Easy doesn't require it so it's unlikely the A-10 would. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a BE implosion and seeing where the chips might fall. Finally, I know because economic times are tough, this is the wrong time to bring it up, but SLU could probably afford a FB program, non scholarship, on par with a Dayton or Villanova. Soccer's nice, but I'll bet a FB program, even a low level one, would bring out the students if for nothing else than the tailgate parties.

Unless and until football is brought back to SLU, the pressure is one SLU - even more - to win, develop some tradition/name recognition - so that it remains/becomes an attractive member of a sports conference. Just by having football, even if not a top program, some schools will have an advantage and possibly get invited over SLU.

The following A-10 schools play football --- all at non-BCS levels with the exception of Temple --- Umass, Richmond, Rhode Island, Dayton, Duquesne, and Fordham and most are in a the Colonial Athletic Conference with the likes of James Madison, Bill & Mary, Towson, Delaware and (bell toll) Villanova.

Strong rumor has it that Charlotte is hot and heavy into starting a football program soon. A lot of the southern schools seem to be on this track as my daughter's school, High Point University, is also investigating. They all seem bent on rivaling current football-playing schools down there like Elon, Western Carolina, Wofford and the like. But that is still not the big gun schools like those in the BCS. Georgetown --- yes that Georgetown in NW DC --- plays football also. But I don't think they are even near the Colonial level teams.

Yes, the MAC is down but I suspect they will be back. Colonial teams are entertaining -- games with the likes of James Madison, Bill & Mare and Delaware can be fun. Thirty years ago I went to a Delaware/Lehigh game. Amazing atmosphere. But a huge budget drain that has to make money or be able to draw funds off another campus feed ---- like Georgetown or Nova basketball. Joe Flacco went to Delaware. Brian Westbrook went to Nova. Didn't Charles Haley come out of Madison? Anyway, much like the NAIA, gems can be found.

You think its hard for college basketball teams to break the old boys club that is March Madness? The football club ain't going to give a portion of their BCS pot o'gold away any time soon. Temple might be doing great, but they are not the same Temple they were a few years ago when they went into the tank. They'll play Penn State and a bunch of lesser schools to make it work.

I can tell you no kid in Pennsylvania grows up saying "I want to be a Temple Owl" when it comes to college. Nope, the boring blue and white uniforms of State College are the main calling. Second is Pitt. Even hitherland schools like Lock Haven, Slippery Rock and Bloomsburg or West Chester have greater pulling power in state than Temple.

If the Rams pick too high to take a WR I'd love to see them trade down a few picks, of course realizing they have to have a trade partner. Imo the Rams need the best WR available in the mid first round. I don't want to see them pick one up too early as it just cost too much money. I don't want a top 5 pick qb either for the same reason, and the success rate is not so good for qb's picked that high. If you get one that doesn't work out ... you're cap screwed for years. We already have a lot of cap dollars tied up in bad 1st round picks.

Anyone know anything about Brandon LaFell? I'd like to see the Rams get a big possession receiver. He'd be a good match with Avery if he could stay healthy.

Also anyone have a good read on the qb at Delaware who transfered from Penn State?

Why don't we play Null a bit?

If the Rams pick too high to take a WR I'd love to see them trade down a few picks, of course realizing they have to have a trade partner. Imo the Rams need the best WR available in the mid first round. I don't want to see them pick one up too early as it just cost too much money. I don't want a top 5 pick qb either for the same reason, and the success rate is not so good for qb's picked that high. If you get one that doesn't work out ... you're cap screwed for years. We already have a lot of cap dollars tied up in bad 1st round picks.

Anyone know anything about Brandon LaFell? I'd like to see the Rams get a big possession receiver. He'd be a good match with Avery if he could stay healthy.

Also anyone have a good read on the qb at Delaware who transfered from Penn State?

I think you're talking about Pat Devlin. He's a Junior, looked good in the limited playing time he got while at Penn State. He's got good size (6'4, 220), led them on a clutch drive against Ohio State. He's putting up pretty nice numbers at Delaware for what that is worth. About 1900 yards, 13:5 TD: INT, 62% completion in 8 games, where the team went 5-3.

IMO, the Rams are not 1-7 b/c of their qb. Peyton Manning probably would not have us better than a .500 record. He, of course, is not available but a rookie like Stafford (Lions) would not have much better, if any, than 1-7. Instead, the overall talent level of the Rams is just so low. While we need a qb for the future, I question bringing in a high priced rooked to simply stand back their and either panic/throw the ball away or stand tall/eventually suffer injury/concussions. Whether Bulger, Boller or another journey QB, I say muddle through until we have good offensive line that can block, receivers who can catch and a defense that can tackle.

IMO, the Rams are not 1-7 b/c of their qb. Peyton Manning probably would not have us better than a .500 record. He, of course, is not available but a rookie like Stafford (Lions) would not have much better, if any, than 1-7. Instead, the overall talent level of the Rams is just so low. While we need a qb for the future, I question bringing in a high priced rooked to simply stand back their and either panic/throw the ball away or stand tall/eventually suffer injury/concussions. Whether Bulger, Boller or another journey QB, I say muddle through until we have good offensive line that can block, receivers who can catch and a defense that can tackle.

Thats what I said. I'm not a fan of Bulger, but I don't want to spend a high first round pick on a qb. Costs too much. My knowledge is limited, but if somehow Bradford fell to the 2nd round, I'd gamvle and take him. I think our O line is improving and may end up pretty good, they just need time. We need a big possession receiver and we need Avery to stay healthy and on the field.

I know a lot of people like the 2 defensive tackles Suh and I think McCoy from OU, but the Rams, any Ram GM taking a defensive lineman with a 1st rd pick sends shivers of my spine.

Thanks for the info on the Delaware qb, but I had seen the stats. Looking for someone with some deeper knowledge. Is he a legit pro prospect? Why'd he leave Penn State and go to freaking Delaware?

The following A-10 schools play football --- all at non-BCS levels with the exception of Temple --- Umass, Richmond, Rhode Island, Dayton, Duquesne, and Fordham and most are in a the Colonial Athletic Conference with the likes of James Madison, Bill & Mary, Towson, Delaware and (bell toll) Villanova.

Strong rumor has it that Charlotte is hot and heavy into starting a football program soon. A lot of the southern schools seem to be on this track as my daughter's school, High Point University, is also investigating. They all seem bent on rivaling current football-playing schools down there like Elon, Western Carolina, Wofford and the like. But that is still not the big gun schools like those in the BCS. Georgetown --- yes that Georgetown in NW DC --- plays football also. But I don't think they are even near the Colonial level teams.

Yes, the MAC is down but I suspect they will be back. Colonial teams are entertaining -- games with the likes of James Madison, Bill & Mare and Delaware can be fun. Thirty years ago I went to a Delaware/Lehigh game. Amazing atmosphere. But a huge budget drain that has to make money or be able to draw funds off another campus feed ---- like Georgetown or Nova basketball. Joe Flacco went to Delaware. Brian Westbrook went to Nova. Didn't Charles Haley come out of Madison? Anyway, much like the NAIA, gems can be found.

You think its hard for college basketball teams to break the old boys club that is March Madness? The football club ain't going to give a portion of their BCS pot o'gold away any time soon. Temple might be doing great, but they are not the same Temple they were a few years ago when they went into the tank. They'll play Penn State and a bunch of lesser schools to make it work.

I can tell you no kid in Pennsylvania grows up saying "I want to be a Temple Owl" when it comes to college. Nope, the boring blue and white uniforms of State College are the main calling. Second is Pitt. Even hitherland schools like Lock Haven, Slippery Rock and Bloomsburg or West Chester have greater pulling power in state than Temple.

You forgot Clarion, Edinboro, Westminster, Grove City, and California (PA) as well!! I am from Western PA via Texas!

Thats what I said. I'm not a fan of Bulger, but I don't want to spend a high first round pick on a qb. Costs too much. My knowledge is limited, but if somehow Bradford fell to the 2nd round, I'd gamvle and take him. I think our O line is improving and may end up pretty good, they just need time. We need a big possession receiver and we need Avery to stay healthy and on the field.

I know a lot of people like the 2 defensive tackles Suh and I think McCoy from OU, but the Rams, any Ram GM taking a defensive lineman with a 1st rd pick sends shivers of my spine.

Thanks for the info on the Delaware qb, but I had seen the stats. Looking for someone with some deeper knowledge. Is he a legit pro prospect? Why'd he leave Penn State and go to freaking Delaware?

He left because he was still behind Clark, things didn't look like they were going to change in that regard, and he wanted to start for more than 1 year. Playing part-time in blowouts isn't in the dreams of QBs who are in the top-5 in the nation at their position in HS. He probably should've gone to a different school that offered a better QB situation, but he is from Pennsylvania and staying home was a big draw. He probably thought he could play his way to starter, but that wasn't happening, so he went somewhere he could immediately play.