Report on the meet and greet last night-(10/28)

bauman

Box, I was talking to a friend of mine last night who is on the e-board for Blue Crew and running for the position of president next year and he and I both agreed that the volleyball game against Penn State was a good indicator that student apathy and moreso is starting to turn. I agree with your assessment that the lack of football doesn't help. I don't think that getting a football team is the answer though. I think the apathy from the students comes from a lack of knowledge of our team. When I ask people on campus if they are going to the game I get a standard, "No, our team sucks".

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this comment to be interesting. I wasn't at the event itself, as I had another commitment out in the county at 7 pm, but I came down to SLU to help the Band move our equipment over to Chaifetz and pick up my Band credential and parking pass. I left at about 6:30, and I saw Majerus walking around the place well before the event started, probably around 6:00 or earlier. Maybe he was in his office or stepped out for a while, but he was definitely around the court around 6:00.

Not to get this thread too far off track, but being there at 6:00 isn't being there at 7:00, the starting time. Possisibly eating dinner which is ok, but at an event like this cut your dinner a little short and be on time as a courtesy to your boosters. Rammer was clearly in a holding pattern-he had finished all he had to say, looked to his left, expecting to see the HC, gave a what's going on look to a staffer at the entrance. The staffer came over to Bob, talked to him for 5-10 seconds, left and Rammer started asking the crowd if they had any questions for the players, in an obvious stall.

One real bit of info I failed to mention. RM feels very strong about playing Mizzou, even commented that we should play them twice a year. Would like to get other Jebby schools to play us (Georgtwn, Zags, Marq, etc, but "Biondi", as he refers to Fr. Biondi can't get his Jesuit coordinates to agree to play us. (Sidenote, I thought that MBB scheduling was a responsibility of both the Ath. Director and the HC, especially a HC being paid $1M per---Sorry that's a cheap shot, BUT does anyone disagree?)

If they showed the video, then they should have mentioned it as they wrapped up the proceedings. When they finally got RM off stage, they only mentioned stopping by and talking to the players and getting their autographs. By the time we got to the exit, over where the players were, at least 1/3 of the attendees had left and there still was no mention of the video. Trying not to be too critical, it seems to me that the Ath. Dept. had lots of good ideas planned but dropped the ball on one key item. RM should have been briefed, both orally and in writing, with a schedule of planned events. He had no idea what was planned (giveaways & video)--recall at one point Rammer, in an effort to move the event along (and stop the Utah/NBA rambling), interjected to RM that they had planned giveaways. That info didn't seem to have any impact on RM. I felt sorry for Rammer, first a staffer asked him to move over behind where RM was speaking likely to get control of the event out of RM's hands (mouth?). Next they brought Bob a mike pretty clearly (in my mind at least) attempting to allow Bob to gain that control back at any break in RM's discourse.

Willie, I always enjoy your posts and I understand that every issue has at least two points of view, but I am truly amazed that you would enjoy the Utah/NBA/A. Miller ramblings. Surely, his constant references to his previous players and the NBA must, at some point, get old with his current team/players.

One real bit of info I failed to mention. RM feels very strong about playing Mizzou, even commented that we should play them twice a year. Would like to get other Jebby schools to play us (Georgtwn, Zags, Marq, etc, but "Biondi", as he refers to Fr. Biondi can't get his Jesuit coordinates to agree to play us. (Sidenote, I thought that MBB scheduling was a responsibility of both the Ath. Director and the HC, especially a HC being paid $1M per---Sorry that's a cheap shot, BUT does anyone disagree?)

He is referring to Biondi putting presure on the others shools presidents to twist some arms to get them to play SLU. He is not asking Biondi to do his job,

After the event I asked Coach about Cody.

Me: "Coach, let's say that Cody got here next week. Would he be able to start classes-"

Coach (interrupting): "He's not getting here next week. We hope he'll be here by December 17th."

Me: "So he can't start playing until the second semester starts?"

Coach: "That's right."

Second time I've met him, he was very friendly again. I'm not mad that he interrupted my question though. He thanked me for asking him that and thanked me for being a great fan, since most of the fans don't follow recruiting or follow the saga with Cody.

Waldo, thanks for the information. He does seem to be better in a one-on-one type discussion. One point, however, why wasn't that the answer given to the first question of the evening, "What can you tell us about the C. Ellis situation?" Instead we got a disjointed critique of the NCAA quickly turning into a discussion about Andre Miller at Utah. My wife made me laugh, during that answer when she asked me what he was talking about.

Waldo, thanks for the information. He does seem to be better in a one-on-one type discussion. One point, however, why wasn't that the answer given to the first question of the evening, "What can you tell us about the C. Ellis situation?" Instead we got a disjointed critique of the NCAA quickly turning into a discussion about Andre Miller at Utah. My wife made me laugh, during that answer when she asked me what he was talking about.

I dont think majerus wanted to be quoted in the media. at one point he said something and looked over to TT and made sure that his comment was off the record and not to be printed.

Box, I was talking to a friend of mine last night who is on the e-board for Blue Crew and running for the position of president next year and he and I both agreed that the volleyball game against Penn State was a good indicator that student apathy and moreso is starting to turn. I agree with your assessment that the lack of football doesn't help. I don't think that getting a football team is the answer though. I think the apathy from the students comes from a lack of knowledge of our team. When I ask people on campus if they are going to the game I get a standard, "No, our team sucks".

Not to disagree, but at the volleyball match Sunday, I counted 8 students in attendance, not counting those like you working. That team certainly wins and AK goes out of the way to make everyone seem welcome. There aren't many parties going on at 1:00 Sunday and I'm pretty sure they weren't watching the NFL.

I looked in on the men's soccer game, and I would bet there was less than 500 people there in total. Wasn't too many years ago that the last home match would have had several thousand in attendance.

Frankly, I'm getting a little tired on continuing to discuss why students don't attend, why RM doesn't help promote the program, why the athletic department does a poor job marketing, etc. Some things just are what they are!!!

a minor side note; but I believe the December 17 date is firm, and what I mean is that if Ellis does show up, he can play in games AFTER that date -- the official last day of the semester. He would NOT need to wait until next semester to play or practice.

could be wrong but that's my understanding.

a minor side note; but I believe the December 17 date is firm, and what I mean is that if Ellis does show up, he can play in games AFTER that date -- the official last day of the semester. He would NOT need to wait until next semester to play or practice.

could be wrong but that's my understanding.

You are correct sir.

Not to disagree, but at the volleyball match Sunday, I counted 8 students in attendance, not counting those like you working. That team certainly wins and AK goes out of the way to make everyone seem welcome. There aren't many parties going on at 1:00 Sunday and I'm pretty sure they weren't watching the NFL.

I looked in on the men's soccer game, and I would bet there was less than 500 people there in total. Wasn't too many years ago that the last home match would have had several thousand in attendance.

Frankly, I'm getting a little tired on continuing to discuss why students don't attend, why RM doesn't help promote the program, why the athletic department does a poor job marketing, etc. Some things just are what they are!!!

As much as I hate it but people don't care much for volleyball that being said they aren't going to go out of their way to find out when a match is. You have to put stuff out there to let them know when matches are. Everyone knew about Penn State and they showed up.

He is referring to Biondi putting presure on the others shools presidents to twist some arms to get them to play SLU. He is not asking Biondi to do his job,

Excuse me Brian, but asking Fr. Biondi to put pressure on other school's Presidents to twist some of their Ath Dept.'s AD or MBB HC to play us IS in fact doing the job of C. May and/or RM. If the other school's Pres. "twisted the arms" of their subordinates, involved with MBB scheduling then I feel pretty certain that they would agree to play us---If your BOSS tells you to do something and it's not immoral or illegal, I presume most of us would comply. At the time RM was hired, I expected a real upgrade in our opponents given his "contacts" in college basketball. I accepted the reason (excuse?) given the first two years of the RM regime, we needed to schedule weaker teams since we were also weaker. I wish we were beyond the need to schedule those creampuffs this year, but we still can't compete with a tough schedule. Maybe next year we'll get to see some better teams visit the Fetz.

The student apathy has always been incredibly frustrating to me. That's the problem with having no football and otherwise lousy sports programs - SLU doesn't really attract kids who are all that into sports the way state schools or private schools like Notre Dame do.

So what you're saying is I have chosen to give my loyalty to a school full of academic nerds?

The video was not a Billiken Basketball video. It was Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

WTF ... we show a Harry Potter video at the basketball meet and greet? Is this really what our students want to see? I think that answers the question in my post above.

Excuse me Brian, but asking Fr. Biondi to put pressure on other school's Presidents to twist some of their Ath Dept.'s AD or MBB HC to play us IS in fact doing the job of C. May and/or RM. If the other school's Pres. "twisted the arms" of their subordinates, involved with MBB scheduling then I feel pretty certain that they would agree to play us---If your BOSS tells you to do something and it's not immoral or illegal, I presume most of us would comply. At the time RM was hired, I expected a real upgrade in our opponents given his "contacts" in college basketball. I accepted the reason (excuse?) given the first two years of the RM regime, we needed to schedule weaker teams since we were also weaker. I wish we were beyond the need to schedule those creampuffs this year, but we still can't compete with a tough schedule. Maybe next year we'll get to see some better teams visit the Fetz.

Give me a break. Your disdain for Majerus is obvious, and that is fine, but it is clearly clouding your judgement on our scheduling.

Majerus wants to play the best non-conference schedule he can. He says that time and time again. Unfortunately, he simply can't get other teams to do it. And neither can Chris May. We as a program don't have the juice for big-time home and homes. Yeah, we can add lower BCS teams like Georgia and Nebraska but the others simply won't do it. Him asking Biondi for some help is not shirking his job. It doesn't mean he wants Biondi to do the scheduling, he just wants some help motivating other teams to play us.

Surely, at some point in your work you have been forced to ask for assistance from a superior because someone else won't co-operate with you, no matter how hard you try. I don't consider that having someone else do my job but rather an attempt to do my job to the best it can be done.

WTF ... we show a Harry Potter video at the basketball meet and greet? Is this really what our students want to see? I think that answers the question in my post above.

I thought that was a joke. Did anyone actually see the video, if in fact one was shown?

No, the Harry Potter movie was a separate event put on by the SAB.. it immediately followed the M&G that way there was some enticement to get students to come to an event that was, until Tuesday, seen by most as a donor-only event.

I don't understand your constant negative attitude. You clearly have no idea of what it takes to put together a schedule for a D1 basketball team these days. The situation has gotten worse, not better, in terms of the possible opponents. Coaches have a huge say in declining to play teams when they are successful at big time schools. They basically dictate the schedule and do not want to play a game they might lose, unless they are getting a big payday on TV and a big bump in the RPI for scheduling the game. Our AD has worked with Rick to try to build a good schedule and maybe it will get better when we are more of a "name" but right now a large percentage of coaches do not want to play us because they are afraid of getting beat. Read the summary by WH who says that even though we have one of the youngest teams in the country with no experienced players --"The Bills are a pain in the butt to play, especially in their arena. They test your patience again and again, and if they get the lead the opponents often self destruct in an effort to catch up". I spoke to Calapari when he was at Memphis and asked if he would schedule the Bills because he and Rick are such close friends. He said he would not schedule the Bills ever because he might lose the game and his kids might look bad when faced with a well coached team that played solid defense. He said there was absolutely no benefit to a team like Memphis playing that game but he loved playing the Bills in the behind closed doors practices because it was a wake up call for his players. Another perfect example is Boston College. We had a two year contract and an additional two game agreement had been negotiated and was on the BC's ADs desk to sign when we played them in St Louis. But as soon as we beat them here the coach nixed the deal and said he would not risk losing to our team again. The whole situation is difficult and frustrating to the AD, the coaches and everyone else. I am an eternal optimist and I believe that we can improve the schedule as we get better and more recognized as a very good team so the coaches will not be as reluctant to play us. If we improve our RPI, probably not until next year, then that will help as well.

Give me a break. Your disdain for Majerus is obvious, and that is fine, but it is clearly clouding your judgement on our scheduling.

Majerus wants to play the best non-conference schedule he can. He says that time and time again. Unfortunately, he simply can't get other teams to do it. And neither can Chris May. We as a program don't have the juice for big-time home and homes. Yeah, we can add lower BCS teams like Georgia and Nebraska but the others simply won't do it. Him asking Biondi for some help is not shirking his job. It doesn't mean he wants Biondi to do the scheduling, he just wants some help motivating other teams to play us.

Surely, at some point in your work you have been forced to ask for assistance from a superior because someone else won't co-operate with you, no matter how hard you try. I don't consider that having someone else do my job but rather an attempt to do my job to the best it can be done.

You are right, at this point I am not a RM fan. I'm from Missouri and I'm waiting for RM to show me something beyond promises.

However, regarding your main point about the schedule-are you really satisfied with our home schedule? If so, good for you. However, your main point-that RM "wants to play the best non-conference schedule he can" is no where near correct. Have you never heard him discuss his scheduling principles. He defended his first two years loading up on creampuffs by saying we were not ready to play anything tougher due to the quality of our teams. If you haven't heard him talk about that aspect of the last two schedules ( and I say now make that all three years of his schedules) then you must have missed a lot of Billiken Club/MAC gatherings. I know he is always complaining about Mizzou not playing us and I agree with him, that's chicken $%!+ on their part, but no way did he want tougher non-conference schedules so far in his years at SLU. I have yet to talk to anyone who is happy with what we are paying to see this year at the Fetz. Many are patient and understanding but who is satisfied?

No it was the HP movie. I don't know that got construed into a basketball video being shown here, but it was pretty well advertised over campus.

They should've shown Hoosiers. Then the students would be excited about the basketball season.

I don't understand your constant negative attitude. You clearly have no idea of what it takes to put together a schedule for a D1 basketball team these days. The situation has gotten worse, not better, in terms of the possible opponents. Coaches have a huge say in declining to play teams when they are successful at big time schools. They basically dictate the schedule and do not want to play a game they might lose, unless they are getting a big payday on TV and a big bump in the RPI for scheduling the game. Our AD has worked with Rick to try to build a good schedule and maybe it will get better when we are more of a "name" but right now a large percentage of coaches do not want to play us because they are afraid of getting beat. Read the summary by WH who says that even though we have one of the youngest teams in the country with no experienced players --"The Bills are a pain in the butt to play, especially in their arena. They test your patience again and again, and if they get the lead the opponents often self destruct in an effort to catch up". I spoke to Calapari when he was at Memphis and asked if he would schedule the Bills because he and Rick are such close friends. He said he would not schedule the Bills ever because he might lose the game and his kids might look bad when faced with a well coached team that played solid defense. He said there was absolutely no benefit to a team like Memphis playing that game but he loved playing the Bills in the behind closed doors practices because it was a wake up call for his players. Another perfect example is Boston College. We had a two year contract and an additional two game agreement had been negotiated and was on the BC's ADs desk to sign when we played them in St Louis. But as soon as we beat them here the coach nixed the deal and said he would not risk losing to our team again. The whole situation is difficult and frustrating to the AD, the coaches and everyone else. I am an eternal optimist and I believe that we can improve the schedule as we get better and more recognized as a very good team so the coaches will not be as reluctant to play us. If we improve our RPI, probably not until next year, then that will help as well.

Billikan, to put a twist on your phrase, I don't understand your constant positive attitude. You took up a lot of space stating the obvious, that all coaches talk about in regard to football and basketball scheduling with a little name dropping thrown in for good measure. Great, Calapari confirmed the obvious.

You can knock off the "you're always negative crap" anytime you want. I'm positive about lots regarding the SLU MBB. I like our recruits now---there something positive for you. I've probably been a season ticket holder as long as you, and if not then good for you. It's my school and you won't find a bigger fan. But unlike you, I recognize that ALL isn't well and much can be improved. If we don't challenge those in charge then we deserve what we get. I just want us to be the best we can be!

You are right, at this point I am not a RM fan. I'm from Missouri and I'm waiting for RM to show me something beyond promises.

However, regarding your main point about the schedule-are you really satisfied with our home schedule? If so, good for you. However, your main point-that RM "wants to play the best non-conference schedule he can" is no where near correct. Have you never heard him discuss his scheduling principles. He defended his first two years loading up on creampuffs by saying we were not ready to play anything tougher due to the quality of our teams. If you haven't heard him talk about that aspect of the last two schedules ( and I say now make that all three years of his schedules) then you must have missed a lot of Billiken Club/MAC gatherings. I know he is always complaining about Mizzou not playing us and I agree with him, that's chicken $%!+ on their part, but no way did he want tougher non-conference schedules so far in his years at SLU. I have yet to talk to anyone who is happy with what we are paying to see this year at the Fetz. Many are patient and understanding but who is satisfied?

You have already referenced his salary. Majerus would not have come to SLU without the improved facilities, strength coaches, increased assistant coach money, his own salary, etc...and so on....he negotiated and got that, and you seem to begrudge him for that. That stuff is just to get you in the game with all of the other schools. Welcome to NCAA hoops.

I don't think most people here or elsewhere thought Majerus was going to have SLU in the NCAA's in his first few seasons. He now has two full classes of his own that are Frosh and Sophs. It would be reasonable to expect better results from them in the next few years, especially as Seniors and Juniors and after that. If he does it he does it and if he doesn't he won't be around after that.

Just because SLU now has new, and more expensive facilities, a new and more expensive coach, new and more expensive assistants, etc...and so on....doesn't mean the previous things didn't happen. It doesn't mean things will happen asap on your time line because you think a lot of money has been newly invested. If you want one year wonders and flashes in the pan, look elsewhere. It takes time to build long term success, especially at a place that has never seen it. He may or may not do that. It's still to be determined. But if you thought everything you wanted was going to happen within 3 years, I'm not sure you fully understood SLU's place in the landscape then or now.

Majerus doesn't control the ticket prices. He alone doesn't control the schedule. He alone doesn't control the marketing to fans and students. It seems some people don't understand what they were getting when he became the coach.

We'll see what happens. He may very well not produce success over time, and if not he will be gone. But he'll get his fair opportunity to do that.

If and when SLU starts winning at a higher rate, more often, more students and fans will go to games. Until then, aggressive marketing seems like an obvious necessity, and the need for continued aggressive marketing should not be underestimated if and when SLU has more success more often.

You have already referenced his salary. Majerus would not have come to SLU without the improved facilities, strength coaches, increased assistant coach money, his own salary, etc...and so on....he negotiated and got that, and you seem to begrudge him for that. That stuff is just to get you in the game with all of the other schools. Welcome to NCAA hoops.

I don't think most people here or elsewhere thought Majerus was going to have SLU in the NCAA's in his first few seasons. He now has two full classes of his own that are Frosh and Sophs. It would be reasonable to expect better results from them in the next few years, especially as Seniors and Juniors and after that. If he does it he does it and if he doesn't he won't be around after that.

Just because SLU now has new, and more expensive facilities, a new and more expensive coach, new and more expensive assistants, etc...and so on....doesn't mean the previous things didn't happen. It doesn't mean things will happen asap on your time line because you think a lot of money has been newly invested. If you want one year wonders and flashes in the pan, look elsewhere. It takes time to build long term success, especially at a place that has never seen it. He may or may not do that. It's still to be determined. But if you thought everything you wanted was going to happen within 3 years, I'm not sure you fully understood SLU's place in the landscape then or now.

Majerus doesn't control the ticket prices. He alone doesn't control the schedule. He alone doesn't control the marketing to fans and students. It seems some people don't understand what they were getting when he became the coach.

We'll see what happens. He may very well not produce success over time, and if not he will be gone. But he'll get his fair opportunity to do that.

If and when SLU starts winning at a higher rate, more often, more students and fans will go to games. Until then, aggressive marketing seems like an obvious necessity, and the need for continued aggressive marketing should not be underestimated if and when SLU has more success more often.

To you, courtside:

No, the Harry Potter movie was a separate event put on by the SAB.. it immediately followed the M&G that way there was some enticement to get students to come to an event that was, until Tuesday, seen by most as a donor-only event.

that's my point. Meeting the team, and listening to the coach speak won't entice them to come .... but showing a freaking Harry Potter movie afterwards will?

What the hell's wrong with college students?

Guest BillikenReport

Majerus on the Ellis situation (from last week's media day):

“We’ve got a great compliance officer, but the woman who runs that, Janet (Oberle), is sensational. I get confused by it, frustrated by it. I would only say this, having coached a number of Australians and a number of players from foreign countries, like Hanno Mottola, the kid at Utah who was the first round pick of the Hawks a few years ago and just finished his career up with Moscow-CBK I think. All of those kids are better educated than any American kids. I say that; I’m not a very bright guy but I do have a couple master’s degrees and did got to law school and I have a familiarity with the Lisches of the world, him having been the eighth academic all-american that I coached. Now, having said that, the school system in Australia, anything in the United States pales in comparison to that. There may be those outstanding like Sidwell schools in the country that might be better but on balance the Australian public school system is so far superior to ours in terms of math and science and how the kids are educated. It’s just that they just don’t grade like we do and I don’t know if I can do justice to the explanation as I understand it relative to how the matter is trying to be resolved and what the young guy is doing. I just feel badly for the kid. Life goes on, you know, there’s always going to be a coach at Temple, there’s always going to be another league, another game, another tournament, but for the kid and in his moment and him having committed to this and having to go through this onerous process, I feel badly and my heart strings tug for his sake.”

I really wish Majerus would stop taking shots at Lisch. The coach twice made comments about him last week -- about how good of a student he was and how good of a competitor he was. The coach should just leave the kid alone already and stop trying to ruin his life.

Here are the rest of the comments: http://saintlouis.scout.com/2/912391.html