chicago tourney moved

bills16

This is great - the Pavillio is a lot closer to downtown Chicago.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Kevin Shortal

That's amazing, I can't believe how quickly that Sears Centre place came down. I guess they realized it's not that easy to draw people over an hour outside the city for events when there's so much going on a short L ride away.

UIC Pavilion isn't the nicest venue around, but it's walkable from the UIC/Halsted Blue Line stop, right on UIC's campus and just south of Greektown. I'm becoming more tempted to go up and check this thing out. Are ticket prices staying the same?

Some additional info on the Chicago Invitational Challenge:

http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=320835

Highlights:

-Tickets go on sale September 25 through Ticketmaster and the UIC Pavilion box office. No word on if the prices will be different but the ticket prices listed on the Sears Centre site before were obscene.

-The CIT people were fine with the building; the move wasn't their choice.

-It is not definite that the Sears Centre is closing for good in October, but this move is seen as another sign that it is possible. The building has taken losses its first 3 years (partial year 2006) and a close this fall could potentially be temporary, but probably for good.

-The Village of Hoffman Estates will vote on whether to foreclose. They'll be losing a lot of money no matter what.

-noticed on the UIC Pavillion website a notice similar to "we are now selling beer" - so another plus for this arena

-on the not so good side hotel rates in the immediate area seem a bit pricey from what i saw

I went to a UIC-Butler game a few years back (a rare Butler Horizon loss). I also saw a Chicago Sky game there that year. I could have sworn they served alcohol at both, but I guess I'm mistaken if they just got a license in January of this year.

The venue itself isn't a bad place at all to watch a game. It's about 30 years old and used to house hockey and indoor soccer in addition to UIC events, but underwent a renovation about 8 years ago to be better suited for UIC basketball, concerts, etc. So instead of the court being centered within the arena and seats on the ends being distant, there is a curtain up on the east end and the court is pushed toward the west end, so the seats on all three sides seem very close. I guess they only lift the curtain to put a concert stage at the other end.

Between back-to-back Wilco shows in October, this tournament in November, as well as the Sky and Windy City Rollers, this place is getting some nice events.

I was wrong about the Blue Line stop nearby; Racine is closer to the UIC Pavilion and UIC/Halsted is closer to the center of campus.

As for hotels, all I can say is good luck. Chicago always has jacked up prices and less vacancy compared to other cities. Plus, it's a holiday weekend. Maybe there will be more people than usual listing apartments to rent for the weekend because so many people will be traveling; that's normally cheaper than hotels if you're staying for a long weekend. I just crash on friends' couches when I go.

-noticed on the UIC Pavillion website a notice similar to "we are now selling beer" - so another plus for this arena

-on the not so good side hotel rates in the immediate area seem a bit pricey from what i saw

I lived about 3 blocks from UIC in the Greektown area for about 3 years. This tourney is much more attractive now that its in Chicago and not some distant suburb. Never went to a game at UIC but would think it will be a pretty tough ticket with ND and Northwestern being involved.

As for hotels, I wouldn't worry so much about finding one super close to the arena. everything is a close cab ride in downtown Chicago so find a hotel you like near some good restraunts/bars and just cab it to the games. I'd think Thanksgiving weekend would be fairly easy to find a hotel since most people spend it with family.

There is a presale going on for the Chicago Invitational Challenge right now on Ticketmaster before tickets go on sale to the general public. The presale gives you a 25% discount on either one-day or two-day passes. I went with two two-day passes for $32 each- I think they're $42 starting Friday. With all the BS Ticketmaster charges, my total came out to $84.94. My seats are in the front row of 210, the upper deck on the end.

Here's a link to the two-day pass tickets:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/04004324...mp;minorcatid=7

The password for the presale is PAVILION.

Isn't it over the holidays? That would most likely mean a fan road trip wouldn't consist of students.

as you can tell im from milwaukee...so me and my Notre Dame friend are hopin to make a trip for that game if it work outs that we play each other. but i dont expect too many SLU fans. Lots of ND presumably though

as you can tell im from milwaukee...so me and my Notre Dame friend are hopin to make a trip for that game if it work outs that we play each other. but i dont expect too many SLU fans. Lots of ND presumably though

We do have a lot of alumni in Chicago, so who knows. The DePaul games were always well-attended by SLU fans.

There is a presale going on for the Chicago Invitational Challenge right now on Ticketmaster before tickets go on sale to the general public. The presale gives you a 25% discount on either one-day or two-day passes. I went with two two-day passes for $32 each- I think they're $42 starting Friday. With all the BS Ticketmaster charges, my total came out to $84.94. My seats are in the front row of 210, the upper deck on the end.

Here's a link to the two-day pass tickets:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/04004324...mp;minorcatid=7

The password for the presale is PAVILION.

And use the presale and save some cash.

I'd like to see us have a good crowd for this one becuase the obnoxious ND fans will be the dominant group. Northwestern will have a good amount, obviously, but I see no reason why we can't be third. I never met any Iowa State alums in the few years I lived in Chicago, and I don't think they travel well for basketball, anyway.

And use the presale and save some cash.

I'd like to see us have a good crowd for this one becuase the obnoxious ND fans will be the dominant group. Northwestern will have a good amount, obviously, but I see no reason why we can't be third. I never met any Iowa State alums in the few years I lived in Chicago, and I don't think they travel well for basketball, anyway.

We might be surprised at how few Northwestern fans show up. While they do have a lot of alums in Chicago, most of them are spread out all over the country, and their alumni are generally pretty apathetic when it comes to basketball or sports in general. NU should have a pretty decent team this year though, and if they get off to a good start, that could all change.

Like Brian said, the move to UIC makes this a much more attractive trip for me. I'll see if the wife and I can make it up there for a game or two.

Who's up for an Old Boys' Club meeting in Chi-town? I ran into AlumniFan at Pippin's Tavern on Rush once!

We might be surprised at how few Northwestern fans show up. While they do have a lot of alums in Chicago, most of them are spread out all over the country, and their alumni are generally pretty apathetic when it comes to basketball or sports in general. NU should have a pretty decent team this year though, and if they get off to a good start, that could all change.

Like Brian said, the move to UIC makes this a much more attractive trip for me. I'll see if the wife and I can make it up there for a game or two.

Who's up for an Old Boys' Club meeting in Chi-town? I ran into AlumniFan at Pippin's Tavern on Rush once!

I'd be up for it if people make it up there.

I went to a Northwestern-Michigan basketball game a couple years ago up at the Evanston campus, and Michigan fans probably made up almost half the crowd. Granted, Chicago has more alums of every other Big Ten school than Northwestern, except for Penn State. I also went to a Northwestern-Nevada football game there in 2007 and the stadium was about 40% filled. Athletics are certainly not the same there as they are in every other Big Ten school. But I would still expect a few more of them than SLU fans; and I would love to be proven wrong.

I'd be up for it if people make it up there.

I went to a Northwestern-Michigan game a couple years ago up at the Evanston campus, and Michigan fans probably made up almost half the crowd. Granted, Chicago has more alums of every other Big Ten school than Northwestern, except for Penn State. I also went to a Northwestern-Nevada football game there in 2007 and the stadium was about 40% filled. Athletics are certainly not the same there as they are in every other Big Ten school. But I would still expect a few more of them than SLU fans; and I would love to be proven wrong.

Yeah, their football games can be kind of weird. They're on either a quarter or a tri-mester system, so the students don't come back until late in the fall (I don't think they've started classes yet), so the non-conference games are really empty. And then, like you said, when the Big Eleven schedule starts, the visiting team's fans usually take up all of the seats on the east side of the stadium.