Full Deck

By adding the last recruit, it means that there will be more than one player competing for playing time at every position. That is is good situation. I for one think that that Justin Jordan could be a very good addition. The Bills really dropped in effectiveness when KM was out of the game. Hopefully Justin will push KM and at the minimum give us 5 to 10 good minutes a game and more against quick teams that tend to give us problems.

It will be interesting to watch which players get into RM's 9 man rotation. I never want to see a kid leave the program but I have got to think at least one of our players who end up 10, 11 or 12 off the bench will see the writing on the wall. With 12 players squeezed into two classes one or two are bound to leave. I still think we will have at least two scholarships to give in 2010. I am not looking forward to that, it is just the nature of the situation.

It is nice to FINALLY have a full roster of players. There should be good competition at every position. The only sure fire starter I see is Kwamain and probably Willie, although he will have work really hard too for his minutes.

By adding the last recruit, it means that there will be more than one player competing for playing time at every position. That is is good situation. I for one think that that Justin Jordan could be a very good addition. The Bills really dropped in effectiveness when KM was out of the game. Hopefully Justin will push KM and at the minimum give us 5 to 10 good minutes a game and more against quick teams that tend to give us problems.

It will be interesting to watch which players get into RM's 9 man rotation. I never want to see a kid leave the program but I have got to think at least one of our players who end up 10, 11 or 12 off the bench will see the writing on the wall. With 12 players squeezed into two classes one or two are bound to leave. I still think we will have at least two scholarships to give in 2010. I am not looking forward to that, it is just the nature of the situation.

I agree with your statement that the full roster is a good situation. It appears that SLU will most likely have one player redshirt--reducing the roster to 12. The obvious benefit is that the team can practice with all players (i.e., no coaches have to play in practice, although I would think that Alex Jensen will still practice with the team). Also, having a full roster means that players with nagging injuries can be sat down if needed for a week during conference play. If there is an injury like Femi's--well, a full roster protects against that as well.

I wonder whether there will be players that will, in fact, leave. The returning players do not seem to be have huge egos, and the Freshman might think that in their first year playing time could be limited. I find myself hoping that this group largely stays together. Of course, having a group of 12 Freshman and Sophmores maximizes the odds that some will transfer, because, absent a redshirt here, they would still have at least two years of eligibility at their new school.

The more they win, the more likely they will stick together, IMHO. Geez I wish it were late October!

does anyone have any speculation on who would be red-shirted?

It seems that Remekun will be redshirting but Majerus just said that he might or might not. I think they have to see where the players are in terms of development first. CR could definitely benefit from doing it to add weight or he could get beat up like Willie did in conference when we play some good big men. I would think probably one guard will. We seemed to be loaded to the gills with guards this year so probably one will opt to redshirt. Maybe Reid? He's the only one I could see doing it.

It seems that Remekun will be redshirting but Majerus just said that he might or might not. I think they have to see where the players are in terms of development first. CR could definitely benefit from doing it to add weight or he could get beat up like Willie did in conference when we play some good big men. I would think probably one guard will. We seemed to be loaded to the gills with guards this year so probably one will opt to redshirt. Maybe Reid? He's the only one I could see doing it.

I doubt the Kansas Mr. Basketball redshirts. We finally have a SLU team that is deep.

I feel Reid maybe the gem of the class similar to KM was last years class. Why would you want to redshirt him?

Guest BillikenReport

Remekun is the obvious choice to redshirt, considering there was already talk about that when he signed.

Other than him, there doesn't seem like a logical choice among the rest of the freshmen to redshirt.

-what am i not seeing that you are seeing that makes you think this?

no way Reid red-shirts. In fact, he has a chance to score a lot of points for us next year.

Also, some health issue might crop up between now and Nov. re: Femi.

Completey agree with Doc. From what I know of this group coming in, Reid seems like the least likely to redshirt. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised to see him become a starter at some point next year. 6'5 wings who can stroke the three-ball so well that they get named Mr. Kansas Basketball do not redshirt at SLU.

I didn't say he would redshirt. I was just stating based on players coming back and coming in that he'd be the only one that I could see doing it based on playing time at position alone. As someone else said, SLU finally has a deep team. I never thought or think that he would. I think Reid will be a special player for SLU and that he is probably the underrated player of this class. SLU is finally getting position players that are appropriate heights for D-1 basketball.

The other day, Majerus stated that Smith will need to transition from an inside player to a perimeter player. He sounds like he has the most upside, but will need some work to play on the wing. This sounds like someone who would really benefit from the redshirt.

Of course, I would be tempted to say that everybody benefits from a redshirt year, but that is just me.

The other day, Majerus stated that Smith will need to transition from an inside player to a perimeter player. He sounds like he has the most upside, but will need some work to play on the wing. This sounds like someone who would really benefit from the redshirt.

Of course, I would be tempted to say that everybody benefits from a redshirt year, but that is just me.

Interesting comment. From my reading of his write-ups, JS does seem like he has played more with his back to the basket - an inside player even though he may possess alot of skills that could translate into that of a perimeter player. Believe you are right, that would take more time to adjust - becoming both a perimeter player as well as getting used to speed/size/quickness of the college game. I also get the impression that while CE may have a good outside shot, that he is mostly and inside player now as well. Most of time, though, it would seem better to simply have such kids play the 4 until they mature and develop into the 3.

Having 2 guys redshirt though seems like a great idea. The kids get to know RM and his offense, they get to practice and improve their games as well as normal physical/academic maturity, they provide true competition in practice for the other kids who also need to develop and then we have 5 Sophomores, 5 Freshmen and then 3 Freshmen next year (2 redshirts and 1 new recruit). Having a kid leave the program would only further improve the parity among the classes. Teams having no Seniors but a good mix of Jrs, Sophs and Frosh are not that uncommon. Teams w/o a Jr. (only PE) or a Senior is not common. Who knows.

Guest BillikenReport

Here's the position-by-position breakdown of what the Billikens will have next year:

POINT GUARD:

Soph. Kwamain Mitchell

Fr. Justin Jordan

Fr. Christian Salecich

SHOOTING GUARD/SMALL FORWARD:

Soph. Kyle Cassity

(Redshirt) Fr. Femi John

Fr. Jeff Reid

Fr. Christian Salecich

Jr. Paul Eckerle

POWER FORWARD:

Soph. Brian Conklin

Fr. Cody Ellis

Fr. Jonathan Smith

Fr. Cory Remekun

CENTER:

Soph. Willie Reed

Soph. Brett Thompson

Fr. Cory Remekun

If Remekun and Smith redshirt, you'd be left with four players to rotate between the two post spots. That wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing, except if any one of those guys get injured, you're down to three. So I wouldn't expect Smith to redshirt. You might see Conklin play 20-25 minutes at PF and then Ellis and Smith would split the rest of the minutes depending on who contributes more.

So to find a second redshirt candidate you have to look at the guards. If you're bringing Jordan in to be the backup PG, you're not going to redshirt him. I would think that both Reid and Salecich will be able to contribute at the 2-3, so neither of those guys would make sense as a redshirt.

So if Remekun is the only redshirt, you have 12 guys available to play. Eckerle probably won't play much with the other alternatives at guard, but you're still looking at 11 guys you are trying to work into the mix.

This discussion is silly - why can we not be like all the other schools and have a team that has a bunch of 15 -20 minutes a game players - why must we always be playing with 7 guys and 3-4 of them playing 36 minutes a game? The value of having a full roster is that you can run the replacements in as waves and wear the other team down.

This discussion is silly - why can we not be like all the other schools and have a team that has a bunch of 15 -20 minutes a game players - why must we always be playing with 7 guys and 3-4 of them playing 36 minutes a game? The value of having a full roster is that you can run the replacements in as waves and wear the other team down.

Makes a lot of sense.

Seems when we come to the end of the season, play a second game in the conference tourney or in OOC tournaments, we poop-out. Having this much depth will have profound impact on these kind of situations.

POINT GUARD:

Soph. Kwamain Mitchell

Fr. Justin Jordan

Fr. Christian Salecich

SHOOTING GUARD/SMALL FORWARD:

Soph. Kyle Cassity

(Redshirt) Fr. Femi John

Fr. Jeff Reid

Fr. Christian Salecich

Jr. Paul Eckerle

POWER FORWARD:

Soph. Brian Conklin

Fr. Cody Ellis

Fr. Jonathan Smith

Fr. Cory Remekun

CENTER:

Soph. Willie Reed

Soph. Brett Thompson

Fr. Cory Remekun

Biondi's obviously doing most of the recruiting these days as it looks like we have nine priests on the team. Hopefully these guys can figure out how to get along with the werewolves I'm hoping we bring in...

-i agree cheese, and it should be good to watch this develop

-imagine it, other teams trying to react to us