OT Rams draft

Billman

Any thoughts.

Who would you take with the 1st pick?

I would try to trade down. I'd also be really blowing smoke as if I was taking Sanchez. If I couldn't trade down I'd take the Baylor tackle Jason Smith.

If I could trade down, I'd take the best left tackle available with the 1st pick and then the best player regardless of position after that

Any thoughts.

Who would you take with the 1st pick?

I would try to trade down. I'd also be really blowing smoke as if I was taking Sanchez. If I couldn't trade down I'd take the Baylor tackle Jason Smith.

If I could trade down, I'd take the best left tackle available with the 1st pick and then the best player regardless of position after that

Current Rams ownership and managemnet has a lot to prove. In this economy PSL or not a lot of people will pass on season tickects if there are not better players, trades, excitement.

which teams have the best new players?

SLU 1

Cards 2

Blues 3

Rams 4

I'd go with Curry. He'll be the best player available (it's sounding like Detroit is about to reach a deal with Stafford), and neither of the OTs - Smith or Monroe - is worth the #2 overall pick. OT is clearly a need for this team, but it's not worth passing on a player of Curry's caliber to get one.

I think that a patchwork O-line of Barron, Incognito, Brown, Greco and Bell will be serviceable. Not ideal by any stretch of the imagination, but serviceable.

I wish they would take Aaron Curry with the first pick, the best available OT with the high 2nd round pick and West Virgina's Pat White in the third round.

Pat White would give us instant offense now and become our QB of the future once Bulger moves on.

Pat White is 2009 NFL draft's most intriguing prospect

I'd go with Curry. He'll be the best player available (it's sounding like Detroit is about to reach a deal with Stafford), and neither of the OTs - Smith or Monroe - is worth the #2 overall pick. OT is clearly a need for this team, but it's not worth passing on a player of Curry's caliber to get one.

I think that a patchwork O-line of Barron, Incognito, Brown, Greco and Bell will be serviceable. Not ideal by any stretch of the imagination, but serviceable.

Which is why I'd like to see them try to trade down. I'm not sold on Curry, he may end up great, but so many of the high defensive picks are flops. The 2nd pick will cost so much to sign, I'd hate to tie up that much money on any sort of a gamble.

Which is why I'd like to see them try to trade down. I'm not sold on Curry, he may end up great, but so many of the high defensive picks are flops. The 2nd pick will cost so much to sign, I'd hate to tie up that much money on any sort of a gamble.

I'd be fine with trading down, although the general consensus is that Curry is better than Patrick Willis was when he entered the draft, and Willis has proven to be an amazing player. My only concern with Curry - and it's a minor one - is that he played OLB in college but would be playing MLB as a pro. Would be nice if he had more experience as a MLB, but he certainly has the athleticism, size and the mindset to play that position.

I'd be fine with trading down, although the general consensus is that Curry is better than Patrick Willis was when he entered the draft, and Willis has proven to be an amazing player. My only concern with Curry - and it's a minor one - is that he played OLB in college but would be playing MLB as a pro. Would be nice if he had more experience as a MLB, but he certainly has the athleticism, size and the mindset to play that position.

Curry is also a very good tackler and that is something the Rams have been lacking.

Guest BillikenReport

The Rams need to improve their offensive line more than anything. They are crazy if they don't draft Jason Smith.

Curry may be better than Patrick Willis coming out. But despite everything he's accomplished, the 49ers haven't won a lot with Willis.

Sanchez may prove to be a great QB down the road, but it probably wouldn't be in St. Louis because the Rams can't protect the QB and are depleted at WR.

Also, don't forget that whoever they take is going to become one of the highest paid players at his position the moment he signs. If you take Curry, you'll have one of the highest paid linebackers in the league to go along with one of the highest paid defensive ends (Chris Long) in the league. That's a ton of money for two unproven players.

If they draft Sanchez, you'll have TWO of the highest paid quarterbacks in the league because of Bulger's contract.

Smith can help make Bulger and Steven Jackson better because the offensive line should be much better than its been in several years. And that's not just because of Smith, but also the addition of C Jason Brown. Hopefully Jacob Bell has hit the McD's drive-thru on his way to Rams Park and can get his weight up and be the player the Rams thought they were bringing in a year ago.

I agree, you have to take Smith. Rebuild a team in the trenches. Look at the Dolphins draft year and follow suit, all lineman with the exception of a QB of the future in Henne 2nd round.

I agree, you have to take Smith. Rebuild a team in the trenches. Look at the Dolphins draft year and follow suit, all lineman with the exception of a QB of the future in Henne 2nd round.

Smith is no Jake Long though. Jake Long is probably going to be mentioned in the Pace/Ogden/Walter Jones, but Smith and Monroe - while likely solid performers - aren't likely going to be the kind of dominant LT that those other guys are.

This draft is deep with O-linemen - I think we could pick up a quality T after the first round.

Curry may be better than Patrick Willis coming out. But despite everything he's accomplished, the 49ers haven't won a lot with Willis.

I'd say our defense, with Curry, would be better than the Niners', especially with Spags as our HC. We need a big body at NT - I don't know if Clifton Ryan can emerge to be that guy or not - but otherwise, our D would be in pretty decent shape with Curry. Maybe move Carriker to DE, which is his natural position.

Smith is no Jake Long though. Jake Long is probably going to be mentioned in the Pace/Ogden/Walter Jones, but Smith and Monroe - while likely solid performers - aren't likely going to be the kind of dominant LT that those other guys are.

This draft is deep with O-linemen - I think we could pick up a quality T after the first round.

I agree completely with you. The Rams have needs everywhere but I think they are worse on D than on O. The O-line already has a ton of $$$ tied up with the unproductive #1 pick of a few yrs ago who either can't hear or remember the snap count (AB), J. Brown & J. Bell. They certainly are not great, but are not the most glaring need of the team. Does anybody remember that we have no D-line or Linebackers who excel-that despite having our last 2 #1 picks (AC & CL) on the D-line. Sure WW is a serviceable linebacker but most agree that he has to be moved outside to be as effective as we need him to be. That leaves a career backup (Chris Draft) as our MLB. Sorry guys we still won't be able to tackle anyone. We need a nasty, sideline to sideline MLB and that is what A. Curry is described as.

Nate says take JS because we will have a lot of $$$ tied up in unproven players-CL and A Curry, if we draft AC. Well how does that change if we draft J Smith-we would still have a ton of $$$ tied up in two unproven players. Sorry Nate, but I miss your logic on that one.

The comment has been made that O-Linemen should be available in the 2nd/3rd rds. I agree. It is much easier to get a good (doesn't need to be great) O-Lineman in those rds than to get an impact LB. The league is filled with O-Linemen taken in mid-low level rds of the draft. We need an impact player on D much, much more than on the O-line.

I will be disappointed if we pass on the potential high impact-high character AC to pick an O-Lineman, especially when most "experts" can't even agree on who is the best OT, JS or EM (Virginia OT)

If we trade down then we better hope that AC doesn't come into the NFL like P. Willis and tear it up. This is an important draft for the Rams (aren't they all?) given that it will be the first under the new GM & HC regime. Despite all the love from the media because he is a friendly, outgoing & willing guest on TV & radio, BD still has much to prove. You can't judge his first draft for a few yrs, but SO FAR I don't see it as outstanding, given we were drafting 2nd, overall. CL still has a lot to prove to show he is a worthy #2 overall pick. From that point on down, I am waiting to see who, if anybody, has an impact from last years' group.

I dont really follow the Rams so not sure about how much they pay their O line. If the draft is deep with OL then go defense becuase that is need. You can never have enough quality in the trenches.

I will not be surprised to see the Rams take a OT in 2nd or even 3rd round. deep draft for O line.

Curry is the best available player, and my bet is they take him (unless Detroit chickens out and takes him)

ps -- it may all be a smokescreen; and Sanchez goes #2: either by Rams, or another team, and Rams draft around #14-18 and an addition pick later.

the biggest surprise of all might be the Rams taking Sanchez, and keeping him. the buzz right now on this guy is pretty high, if you listen to the guys on ESPN.

If we trade down then we better hope that AC doesn't come into the NFL like P. Willis and tear it up. This is an important draft for the Rams (aren't they all?) given that it will be the first under the new GM & HC regime. Despite all the love from the media because he is a friendly, outgoing & willing guest on TV & radio, BD still has much to prove. You can't judge his first draft for a few yrs, but SO FAR I don't see it as outstanding, given we were drafting 2nd, overall. CL still has a lot to prove to show he is a worthy #2 overall pick. From that point on down, I am waiting to see who, if anybody, has an impact from last years' group.

I actually think last year's draft was pretty decent. Maybe not a franchise-altering draft, but certainly much better than we've had in years.

I think Long will develop into a very good player - a more athletic Grant Wistrom. Maybe not worthy of the #2 overall pick, but a safe pick. Wistrom took a season to get acclimated, and I think Long is probably the same way. With his motor and work ethic, I'd expect to see more production out of him this year.

I really like what I've seen of Avery, not sure about Burton. It will be interesting to see how he does in an expanded role this year.

Greco has the potential to start at G and possibly at T. I believe he was a T in college, but the knock on him is that he has short arms, so they moved him to G.

Justin King is probably a better CB than Tye Hill - it's unfortunate that he got injured in camp last year, because it was sounding like he would have been a contributor.

Chamberlain and Vobora are good for depth and on special teams, and Chamberlain has looked decent, especially in pass coverage.

Not sure what to think about Schuening. He seems like he has the size, but you never hear his name mentioned as being a factor in our future OL plans.

Can you remember the last time we had a draft where all of the rookies were still with the team (or practice squad) at the end of the year?

I trust Devaney, but am still a little nervous about how tomorrow will play out. I gotta think that Spags would love to have Curry, but who knows what kind of smoke screens Devaney has been sending out this week.

the biggest surprise of all might be the Rams taking Sanchez, and keeping him. the buzz right now on this guy is pretty high, if you listen to the guys on ESPN.

Or, they could take him with the second pick and then offer him in a trade to Denver, NY Jets, Washington, etc. and see who is the most desperate for his services. Might not be a bad move.

Or, they could take him with the second pick and then offer him in a trade to Denver, NY Jets, Washington, etc. and see who is the most desperate for his services. Might not be a bad move.

I wouldn't mind that. I just don't like the 1st or 2nd pick, unless there is an absolute can't miss stud. They just aren't ever worth the money, it's a salary cap killer to have that money tied up in a few young unproven players.

If I were the Rams, I'd also be talking to the Cardinals about Boldin pending certainty about his health.

I actually think last year's draft was pretty decent. Maybe not a franchise-altering draft, but certainly much better than we've had in years.

I think Long will develop into a very good player - a more athletic Grant Wistrom. Maybe not worthy of the #2 overall pick, but a safe pick. Wistrom took a season to get acclimated, and I think Long is probably the same way. With his motor and work ethic, I'd expect to see more production out of him this year.

I really like what I've seen of Avery, not sure about Burton. It will be interesting to see how he does in an expanded role this year.

Greco has the potential to start at G and possibly at T. I believe he was a T in college, but the knock on him is that he has short arms, so they moved him to G.

Justin King is probably a better CB than Tye Hill - it's unfortunate that he got injured in camp last year, because it was sounding like he would have been a contributor.

Chamberlain and Vobora are good for depth and on special teams, and Chamberlain has looked decent, especially in pass coverage.

Not sure what to think about Schuening. He seems like he has the size, but you never hear his name mentioned as being a factor in our future OL plans.

Can you remember the last time we had a draft where all of the rookies were still with the team (or practice squad) at the end of the year?

I trust Devaney, but am still a little nervous about how tomorrow will play out. I gotta think that Spags would love to have Curry, but who knows what kind of smoke screens Devaney has been sending out this week.

Box, I hope you are right on some of your comments. As I said in my post, it is still early to make a final judgment on last yr's draft, BUT:

Long has to show more next yr for a #2 pick to be justified. Granted he did ok last yr, just not what you would have hoped for from a #2. ;

Avery is a smallish, but fast, WR at a time when the league is moving to 6'2"+ size wideouts. For the very first receiver picked last year I think Billie D is still hanging out there on this one. ;

Greco---with as bad as the O-Line was last year I would have thought he would have gotten lots of PT based on when he was selected. Why didn't he? ;

Burton---I have more confidence that he will become an "almost Pro Bowl quality" WR than Avery. ;

Justin King is still living on last year's speculation. We really don't know much about him, however, if as you say, he might be better than Tye Hill, I say "so what." Probably 75% of all the starting CBs in the NFL are better than our 5'8" top draft pick of a few years ago. ;

Schuening see comments on Greco.

2 late round LBs---no reason to expect a whole lot out of players drafted this late except that they be cheap Special Teams players and that's what they were. If one or both develop beyond that great, just no reason at this point to expect it.

Sorry to quibble over words, but I don't think we can give the 08 draft a "pretty decent" grade yet. At this early juncture I'm going to have to go with a grade of "C". Drafting at the top of every Rd should have produced better. Again, I think it's important not to annoint BD as a genius just yet since he had never been responsible for a draft b/4 last year, in any organization.

Box, I hope you are right on some of your comments. As I said in my post, it is still early to make a final judgment on last yr's draft, BUT:

Long has to show more next yr for a #2 pick to be justified. Granted he did ok last yr, just not what you would have hoped for from a #2. ;

Avery is a smallish, but fast, WR at a time when the league is moving to 6'2"+ size wideouts. For the very first receiver picked last year I think Billie D is still hanging out there on this one. ;

Greco---with as bad as the O-Line was last year I would have thought he would have gotten lots of PT based on when he was selected. Why didn't he? ;

Burton---I have more confidence that he will become an "almost Pro Bowl quality" WR than Avery. ;

Justin King is still living on last year's speculation. We really don't know much about him, however, if as you say, he might be better than Tye Hill, I say "so what." Probably 75% of all the starting CBs in the NFL are better than our 5'8" top draft pick of a few years ago. ;

2 late round LBs---no reason to expect a whole lot out of players drafted this late except that they be cheap Special Teams players and that's what they were. If one or both develop beyond that great, just no reason at this point to expect it.

Sorry to quibble over words, but I don't think we can give the 08 draft a "pretty decent" grade yet. At this early juncture I'm going to have to go with a grade of "C". Drafting at the top of every Rd should have produced better. Again, I think it's important not to annoint BD as a genius just yet since he had never been responsible for a draft b/4 last year, in any organization.

Very good points. Call me a homer but I really think C Long is going to have a break-thru year this - his second - year. Too much to learn and dominate in his first year. If so, Devaney's class will look much better. W/o a really improved Long, though, you are right, the '08 draft won't look so good.

As to this year, it seems like a "no-brainer" that it would be best for the Rams to trade down with their #2 pick. The problem, though, is that who wants to trade-up and how much do they want to pay the #2. If the Rams are having trouble deciding who to pick and don't want to "overspend" on the #2 pick, then why would the other NFL teams want to do the same. If an NFL team wants to move up in the draft and if there is no clear candidate(s) for the #2 pick, it would seem cheaper/better for them to move up but not all the way to #2.

Everything I read tells me we are going with an OT to replace Orlando Pace and this makes total sense but I just have a sense that Devaney/Spags are going to go to their strength - defense - and might actually pick Curry.

My thought is just that after years of almost completely wasted drafts, last year's actually yielded some serviceable players. Is there a single all-pro in the bunch? Probably not, but I think that in a couple of years we'll find that the 08 draft provided us with depth and a starting point on which to build.

My thought is just that after years of almost completely wasted drafts, last year's actually yielded some serviceable players. Is there a single all-pro in the bunch? Probably not, but I think that in a couple of years we'll find that the 08 draft provided us with depth and a starting point on which to build.

I'll bet you a 6-pack of Schlafly that C. Long is a pro-bowler within the next two years.

Very good points. Call me a homer but I really think C Long is going to have a break-thru year this - his second - year. Too much to learn and dominate in his first year. If so, Devaney's class will look much better. W/o a really improved Long, though, you are right, the '08 draft won't look so good.

As to this year, it seems like a "no-brainer" that it would be best for the Rams to trade down with their #2 pick. The problem, though, is that who wants to trade-up and how much do they want to pay the #2. If the Rams are having trouble deciding who to pick and don't want to "overspend" on the #2 pick, then why would the other NFL teams want to do the same. If an NFL team wants to move up in the draft and if there is no clear candidate(s) for the #2 pick, it would seem cheaper/better for them to move up but not all the way to #2.

Everything I read tells me we are going with an OT to replace Orlando Pace and this makes total sense but I just have a sense that Devaney/Spags are going to go to their strength - defense - and might actually pick Curry.

If they pass do they go to the end of the round or does their number stay up? if it is a matter of not wanting to pay a player number 2 money and they

are sure they can get them at the number 6 or 7 spot in the same round just pass if they don't get an offer of at least a third round draft choice plus the

other team's number two pick. Then they can keep their payroll in line.