Non BCS at-large bids:

2003: 10

2004: 12

2005: 9

2006: 8

2007: 6

2008: 6

2009: 4

Now some of that is the disolution of CUSA after 2005 but its really a shame what is happening to this tournament. Its turning into the BCS invitational. I'm sure Bilas and his pals are hi-fiving in Bristol.

Now some of that is the disolution of CUSA after 2005 but its really a shame what is happening to this tournament. Its turning into the BCS invitational. I'm sure Bilas and his pals are hi-fiving in Bristol.

And now the former CUSA Commish will explain it.

This stat from CBS says it all:

Non BCS at-large bids:

2003: 10

2004: 12

2005: 9

2006: 8

2007: 6

2008: 6

2009: 4

The only good news is that it doesn't seem to have hit the A-10 quite yet. The MVC certainly gets screwed every year.

The only good news is that it doesn't seem to have hit the A-10 quite yet. The MVC certainly gets screwed every year.

Agreed, but I think its only a matter of time. Its like a transition drug...Screw over the MVC and Mountain West first and if nobody objects, then move to the A-10.

"we only evaluate 'teams', not conferences."

- Slive

I call b.s. on that.

I love Greg Anthony asking the tough questions. Not surprisingly he is a UNLV guy so he understands the issues with being a "mid-major" team.

Slive completely failed to answer Anthony's question about how mid-majors are supposed to play tougher schedules when the BCS teams won't play them.

I love Greg Anthony asking the tough questions. Not surprisingly he is a UNLV guy so he understands the issues with being a "mid-major" team.

Slive completely failed to answer Anthony's question about how mid-majors are supposed to play tougher schedules when the BCS teams won't play them.

Jay Bilas is showing his stripes right now. "Mid-majors can play anyone they want". What a bunch of b.s.

Dickie V putting him in his place.

Slive dodges the "how'd Arizona get in?" question.

This is utter rubbish.

Teams left out with their final RPI's:

34 San Diego State

40 Creighton

46 UAB- However, I'm pretty sure that 48 St. Mary's was actually ahead of UAB.

Teams allowed in in place of the above, i.e. teams with what should have been non-qualifying RPI's:

55 Maryland

60 Boston College

62 Arizona

Although the pecking order on the West Coast overall has the Pac-10 as the top conference in the West, there will be significant criticism of the NCAA taking Arizona (Tied for 5th Place Pac-10, 9-9 regular season Pac-10 record, and quarterfinal loss to Arizona State in the Pac-10 Tournament) over St. Mary's.

There is also a position out here that USC (#6 seed in the Pac-10 Tournament, also 9-9 Pac-10 regular season) winning the Pac-10 Tournament a short drive from its LA campus, and then Mississippi State winning the SEC Tournament today in a terrible game against Tennessee, took away St. Mary's NCAA bid; ditto for Creighton. We will never know if the NCAA had St. Mary's ranked ahead of Creighton, but I suspect that was the case since CBS showed the scene in Moraga and not in Omaha. Further, I believe the NCAA had St. Mary's ahead of San Diego State based upon SMC beating SDSU head to head on a neutral floor in Anaheim.

These are ominous warning signs for non-BCS leagues. The 8 team Mountain West, ranked 7th of all conferences, only got 2 teams in, and 3 Mountain West teams tied for first place in the regular season.

Those wanting SLU in the MVC should take careful notice that the MVC (conference rank #9) is again a Juan Bid league- 1 sole bid. The A-10 (conference rank #8) got 3 bids, with final RPI's of 17 Xavier, 27 Dayton, and 30 Temple, with Temple getting the automatic bid. There seems little doubt as to how the A-10 and MVC are perceived nationally, vis-a-vis each other, a point I've tried to make in other posts.

agreed

Greg Anthony played for UNLV= non-BCS. He's like Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, the Great Dissenter, amongst all these BCS talking heads.

Arizona does not belong in this NCAA Tournament.

I will be interested to see what Taj and Billiken Roy have to say about what happened today.

SLU had best stay in the A-10 at this time and try to make the best of it.

I love Arizona, but there is no way they deserve to be in.

Also, I love Greg Anthony.

That POS Digger was trying to say he got Zona in the tournament. Talk about thinking a little too much of yourself. There is a reason why nobody has wanted you to coach their program for years.