NCAA Tourney Selections

moytoy12

Yes. You have to sacrifice some accuracy in the name of sportsmanship. Football (Bobby Bowden) proved inconclusively that if you had scoring margin in the mix there would be some terribly unsporting and risky things done. Although thinking about it now you could allow margin of victory up to 10 points or so--that should be relatively harmless (you do not want Calipari pressing, running and playing with his top rotation in order to get a 70 point victory). But as I said before I think ELO ("It's a living thing!") ratings probably are the best ( http://elobasketball.awardspace.com/Ratings.html ) and they do not use the margin of victory (scoring margin). Note that SLU looks worse in ELO than it does in RPI this year (which I have no problem with).

If ELO works for FIDE I'll take it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-i watched the espn selection show last night (tivo is great) and those guys said some real interesting things

-digger phelps talking about personnel as to whether or not AZ is better than other teams becuase they have Hill, Buddinger and Wise who are great players - well digger, they may be great players, but the AZ TEAM was not great, at least imo

-i don't recall previous analysis of who should be in being decided by the makeup of the roster being more significant than the on the court record

-hubert davis' criteria of "who did you play, who did you beat and the eye test" seems to favor bcs schools on the scheduling alone

-to me bob knight offers an non-emotional well thought out reason for saying whatever he is saying and his point about making sure the committee is made up of basketball people makes alot of sense