Jeff Reid is Topeka City Scoring Champ

SShoe

Since it's such a slow day on this board, I offer this little nugget. JR averaged 19.6 per game to lead the entire city of Topeka in scoring. Based on some of the game stories I've read, he probably could've scored more but sat on the bench a lot in the 4th quarter due to numerous blowouts.

http://www.cjonline.com/stories/030309/pre_400474011.shtml

Since it's such a slow day on this board, I offer this little nugget. JR averaged 19.6 per game to lead the entire city of Topeka in scoring. Based on some of the game stories I've read, he probably could've scored more but sat on the bench a lot in the 4th quarter due to numerous blowouts.

http://www.cjonline.com/stories/030309/pre_400474011.shtml

He got to the line 4.5 times a game and shot 85% ... not bad.

He got to the line 4.5 times a game and shot 85% ... not bad.

Hayden finished 2nd in their league - Jeff is on pace to break his own single season record at the high school. Team is not quite as deep as it was last year. Jeff has been asked to carry a lot of the scoring load - and has had his share of minor injuries that he avoided last year. Someone on the board said he might not be a big impact player his first year. I think that is right - but he does need to play. I think red shirt is a mistake.

I think he has enough 3 point potential that he can contribute as a freshman. He is shooting @ 41% on his 3's - 52-127. And his normal 3 ball shot is way outside the high school 3 point line. With coaching and more maturity I do think he will be a major contributor to SLU for his other 3 years. He has had heavy pressure all year and has been fouled several times on three point shots this year. He almost always hits all 3 free throws. He wastes no time shooting at the line either - kind of unusual in that regard.

Hayden finished 2nd in their league - Jeff is on pace to break his own single season record at the high school. Team is not quite as deep as it was last year. Jeff has been asked to carry a lot of the scoring load - and has had his share of minor injuries that he avoided last year. Someone on the board said he might not be a big impact player his first year. I think that is right - but he does need to play. I think red shirt is a mistake.

I think he has enough 3 point potential that he can contribute as a freshman. He is shooting @ 41% on his 3's - 52-127. And his normal 3 ball shot is way outside the high school 3 point line. With coaching and more maturity I do think he will be a major contributor to SLU for his other 3 years. He has had heavy pressure all year and has been fouled several times on three point shots this year. He almost always hits all 3 free throws. He wastes no time shooting at the line either - kind of unusual in that regard.

I think Reid will be the best freshman next year based on what I have read.

I think Reid will be the best freshman next year based on what I have read.

It's all guess work, but I am thinking - 1) Ellis 2) Smith 3) a toss-up between Salecich and Reid, those two will have an interesting battle for playing time 5) A yet to be determined combo guard 6) Remekun (redshirt)

I like the prediction of Ellis. He looks like hes going to be the most game ready frosh coming in.

Im goin with

1)reid 2) elis 3) salecich 4) smtih 5) remekun

The great thing is that all of these guys bring something completely different to the table

Guest BillikenReport

The great thing is that all of these guys bring something completely different to the table

Which is also what made this year's freshman class interesting.

Which is also what made this year's freshman class interesting.

Nate, I spoke w/ a friend of mine from the Columbus area whose son plays HS up there so he follows the scene. I asked about J. Smith at D1 level, he said "complete player who needs to add some muscle and improve on his D." He's also a big supporter of OSU and said some of the staff up there are thinking they made a mistake passing on him. At least should have told him to wait for a spring offer after seeing how he did his SR year. If not an immediate starter, he said JS should be in SLU's rotation and a contributor next year. A real athlete with got good hoops IQ (said, he's a sneaky good passer) and very coachable. This guy played for N'Western some years back so he should know something about what it takes. Any comments to add?

Im goin with

1)reid 2) elis 3) salecich 4) smtih 5) remekun

1)Smith 2)Ellis 3)John 4)Reid/Saleich

I think, as we saw with Willie, Jon Smiths athleticism is going to put him ahead of the other freshman in his first year.

1)Smith 2)Ellis 3)John 4)Reid/Saleich

I think, as we saw with Willie, Jon Smiths athleticism is going to put him ahead of the other freshman in his first year.

I also noticed recently that Smith was named co-player of the year in his District w/ Ohio State recruit, Jared Sullinger, who is rated by Scout as the #1 Center in this year's class. Not bad company to be in.

Considering that our biggest holes next year will likely be at the 2 and 3, that would be great if Smith has the type of impact at the 3 that KM or WR have had at their respective positions.

-not wanting to look too far ahead, but in 2 seasons we should be pretty good and the following year real good, i really have no idea what to expect next year so i'll try to take it as it comes

-and i plan to enjoy the ride in getting there, i will get frustrated at times i'm sure, but i think the light is very bright and our stay in the darkness is coming to an end

-and in 2 yrs i'll start asking can rick find the players to replace the current frosh, but alot of time before then

-not wanting to look too far ahead, but in 2 seasons we should be pretty good and the following year real good, i really have no idea what to expect next year so i'll try to take it as it comes

-and i plan to enjoy the ride in getting there, i will get frustrated at times i'm sure, but i think the light is very bright and our stay in the darkness is coming to an end

-and in 2 yrs i'll start asking can rick find the players to replace the current frosh, but alot of time before then

darkness? we have had 1 losing season in the last 10 years. maybe you should open your eyes.

darkness? we have had 1 losing season in the last 10 years. maybe you should open your eyes.

Agree with roy on this. Sure, we haven't been UNC, Duke, Xavier or Gonzaga, but we also haven't been the New Jersey Institute of Technology or USC-Upstate either.

Maybe foggy, but not dark. :P

Agree with roy on this. Sure, we haven't been UNC, Duke, Xavier or Gonzaga, but we also haven't been the New Jersey Institute of Technology or USC-Upstate either.

Maybe foggy, but not dark. :lol:

exactly. want to say, move from mediocrity to good, i would be behind that 100%. but the truth is besides the two year run with claggett and highmark and the one year of hughes, the team has basically been the same since bonner left.

exactly. want to say, move from mediocrity to good, i would be behind that 100%. but the truth is besides the two year run with claggett and highmark and the one year of hughes, the team has basically been the same since bonner left.

-i am saying imo since 3/16/2000 we have been in the darkness and i believe that we are getting closer to the light, and i think consistent light of playing in the tourney

-i am saying imo since 3/16/2000 we have been in the darkness and i believe that we are getting closer to the light, and i think consistent light of playing in the tourney

if your "definition" of light is the ncaa tourney or not, we have been in the dark since the beginning of time for all but three years.

now that is pessimism!!

if your "definition" of light is the ncaa tourney or not, we have been in the dark since the beginning of time for all but three years.

now that is pessimism!!

Thanks to Cowboy, I had to bump up my happy hours by two hours and start drinking at 9 a.m.

now that is pessimism!!

-at least one would call it a realistic look

-our history is not good, sure it is better than some, a lot worse than others but it is what it is

-i am however, looking forward and i see a bright future

It makes you appreciate just how good Spoon was when you put it in a historical context.

It makes you appreciate just how good Spoon was when you put it in a historical context.

spoon also had three losing seasons which rickma, romar and soderberg together did not have as billiken head coaches.

spoon also had three losing seasons which rickma, romar and soderberg together did not have as billiken head coaches.

Misleading stat, Roy, IMO. Had SLU played Conf USA quality teams last year, he would have had a losing season. If you don't count the Division II game, we had a .500 year. Against better Conf USA competition, maybe even this year RM would have a losing year. As to Romar, he played with Tatum, Heinrich, Baniak and Perry for his 3 years (not really enough time to judge w/o judging him on his recruiting/trends) before leaving the cupboard bare. Brad had a really bad, losing season and is responsible for us having weak/mediocre years last year and this year due to his failures but benefitted from the lesser competition of the A-10. Spoon inherited a 5-23 (albeit with Highmark and Claggett starting their Sophomore years) but did, as you mention, stumble a bit as well. As hard as getting a win has proven to be at St. Bona, and last night at Duquesne, neither is anywhere as tough as playing at UAB, to name just one, in the mid-1990's. Cincy, Marquette and Louisville were tougher than X, UD and whomever else.

Nonetheless, I'm excited b/c, for the very first time in my memory (going back to the Ron Ecker years), SLU has 2 really good, back-to-back recruiting years with hope/expectations for a third and future years.

Misleading stat, Roy, IMO. Had SLU played Conf USA quality teams last year, he would have had a losing season. If you don't count the Division II game, we had a .500 year. Against better Conf USA competition, maybe even this year RM would have a losing year. As to Romar, he played with Tatum, Heinrich, Baniak and Perry for his 3 years (not really enough time to judge w/o judging him on his recruiting/trends) before leaving the cupboard bare. Brad had a really bad, losing season and is responsible for us having weak/mediocre years last year and this year due to his failures but benefitted from the lesser competition of the A-10. Spoon inherited a 5-23 (albeit with Highmark and Claggett starting their Sophomore years) but did, as you mention, stumble a bit as well. As hard as getting a win has proven to be at St. Bona, and last night at Duquesne, neither is anywhere as tough as playing at UAB, to name just one, in the mid-1990's. Cincy, Marquette and Louisville were tougher than X, UD and whomever else.

Nonetheless, I'm excited b/c, for the very first time in my memory (going back to the Ron Ecker years), SLU has 2 really good, back-to-back recruiting years with hope/expectations for a third and future years.

Excellent post. It is completely unfair to pin that first losing season on Spoon. In fact, he did a miraculous job with 7 scholarship players to win 12, up from 5 the prior year. Basketball Times called SLU one of the most improved teams in the country that season. He had one really bad season and then another one where I think he finished like one or two games under .500. Also, good point that Spoon was swimming with sharks in a highly competitive league and doing quite well. Put in historical context, SLU has made 4 NCAA Tourneys in more than 50 years and Spoon played a major role in all four.

Back to Reid (only SLU topic I know anything about) he hit for 30 for Hayden High school tonight and Hayden qualified for the CLASS 4A State tournament with the win. Small town team was not bad - they tried to play zone and Jeff shredded it in the first half - 24 points. I think he had 6 3 pointers in the first half. Most of them were well beyond the high school line.

Back to Reid (only SLU topic I know anything about) he hit for 30 for Hayden High school tonight and Hayden qualified for the CLASS 4A State tournament with the win. Small town team was not bad - they tried to play zone and Jeff shredded it in the first half - 24 points. I think he had 6 3 pointers in the first half. Most of them were well beyond the high school line.

HATE HATE HATE

I had a feeling this kid would be a shooter for us. Let's hope he is.