Disappointed

slu72 fan

I'm not trying to start an argument, but is anyone else disappointed that we've not gotten much better. We've played nearly 2/3 of the season, we have 2 senior playing nearly every minute, shouldn't we be getting a little better. I don't understand today's game at all.

We come out playing a junk defense, triangle and two. They should uncontested 3 after 3 and essentially the game is over at the half. Our difficulty in scoring makes overcoming a 10 point deficit nearly impossible.

I've watch SLU bball for over 40 years and our kids never get appreciably stronger. Obviously, BE got stronger, but the frosh look the same today as they did in November. They've been on campus for 6 months, and I assume lifting regularly. Shouldn't they be looking different?

The only frosh that has appreciably improved is KM. The others give great effort, but they haven't improved as players much. Has WR developed any new low post moves? BT, like AK last year, is so nervous he'll screw up that it almost becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. BC gives terrific effort, does a bunch of little things, but hasn't improved his jump shot, to where he has to be guarded away from the basket. I'll take RM at his word and KC gets it, but his shot has been an issue all season.

Complain all we want about Kevin and Tommy, but how do we score next year? Given the last 2 years, and the time it takes to learn RM's system, can we expect an incoming frosh to be a major scorer? Heck, we need at least 2 of them.

I hope everyone I listened to is right and the problem was that KM didn't play, but I have my doubts. From my perspective, Richmond was the better team. They had better athletes, better bball players, and a system that played to their athleticism.

Please politely show me why I'm wrong!

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to start an argument, but is anyone else disappointed that we've not gotten much better. We've played nearly 2/3 of the season, we have 2 senior playing nearly every minute, shouldn't we be getting a little better. I don't understand today's game at all.

We come out playing a junk defense, triangle and two. They should uncontested 3 after 3 and essentially the game is over at the half. Our difficulty in scoring makes overcoming a 10 point deficit nearly impossible.

I've watch SLU bball for over 40 years and our kids never get appreciably stronger. Obviously, BE got stronger, but the frosh look the same today as they did in November. They've been on campus for 6 months, and I assume lifting regularly. Shouldn't they be looking different?

The only frosh that has appreciably improved is KM. The others give great effort, but they haven't improved as players much. Has WR developed any new low post moves? BT, like AK last year, is so nervous he'll screw up that it almost becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. BC gives terrific effort, does a bunch of little things, but hasn't improved his jump shot, to where he has to be guarded away from the basket. I'll take RM at his word and KC gets it, but his shot has been an issue all season.

Complain all we want about Kevin and Tommy, but how do we score next year? Given the last 2 years, and the time it takes to learn RM's system, can we expect an incoming frosh to be a major scorer? Heck, we need at least 2 of them.

I hope everyone I listened to is right and the problem was that KM didn't play, but I have my doubts. From my perspective, Richmond was the better team. They had better athletes, better bball players, and a system that played to their athleticism.

unfortunately, i am in total agreement. imo i their defense is absolutely horrible. I am puzzled why rm's offense is so difficult to learn. other teams get uncontested 3's and can drive to the basket at will and score. we have to work our rears off to get a terrible shot as the clock runs down. i don't get it.

I see improvement in WR. He's rebounding better defensively and playing better help defense.

I see improvement is KC. He seems to have a little more confidence offensively and is playing better defense.

KM is improving all aspects of his game and taking a leadership role.

BC has been tough all year. He can't get his shot off against taller opponents, but is getting to the line.

BT is just a long term project, but he certainly has tools. He probably won't be effective until his junior year.

That's not to say there aren't big flaws in their games right now. WR needs to play his man much better on defense. KC needs to be less tentative on offense.

There's ussually a big jump between freshman and sophomore years for players. Remember, Clagget, Highmark and Winfield only won 5 games their first year and were sub .500 as sophomores(Winfield was gone but Donnie Dobbs took his place). They will be a better team next year and the year after will be really fun. Just hang in there through the growing pains.

I see improvement in WR. He's rebounding better defensively and playing better help defense.

I see improvement is KC. He seems to have a little more confidence offensively and is playing better defense.

KM is improving all aspects of his game and taking a leadership role.

BC has been tough all year. He can't get his shot off against taller opponents, but is getting to the line.

BT is just a long term project, but he certainly has tools. He probably won't be effective until his junior year.

That's not to say there aren't big flaws in their games right now. WR needs to play his man much better on defense. KC needs to be less tentative on offense.

There's ussually a big jump between freshman and sophomore years for players. Remember, Clagget, Highmark and Winfield only won 5 games their first year and were sub .500 as sophomores(Winfield was gone but Donnie Dobbs took his place). They will be a better team next year and the year after will be really fun. Just hang in there through the growing pains.

I think bringing up the Clagget- Highmark class is a good point.

Face it, there was a lot of hype this year. New Arena, best recruiting class in years, TL and KL's 2nd year in RM's system , the weeding out of our supposed deadwood, and, of course, our potential HOF coach. The hype didn't go as far as to say, "we're dancing in 2009", but it did up our expectations a lot over last year. So, SLU 72 fan's concerns are shared by many. The reality of the situation is only two of the frosh were even semi ready for the leap to D1, KM and BC. WR didn't even play HS ball last year so he's definitely a work in process, BT, like many big men, will take time, KC, although hoops savvy, needs some heavy work on his shot over the summer. All this coupled w/ KL and TL not seemingly able to carry the Billikids on their back has led to some demoralizing losses. As has been pointed out many times on this board, TL and KL's best seasons were in their Soph year. Why? IV was getting double teamed which allowed them more open looks. Now the D's are geared to stop them and let our frosh be frosh. Bottom line: we are still probably another season away from being what that NBA scout called a D1 team capable of competing even in the A-10. RM didn't have a magic wand afterall, an $80mm facility doesn't guarantee W's, and, as every coach worth his salt will tell you, you win with players and ours are just way too young at this point. For the time being, it's still "hard being a Billiken fan. "

unfortunately, i am in total agreement. imo i their defense is absolutely horrible. I am puzzled why rm's offense is so difficult to learn. other teams get uncontested 3's and can drive to the basket at will and score. we have to work our rears off to get a terrible shot as the clock runs down. i don't get it.

From the few games I've seen on the web, I'd agree w/ Eastside. We definitely do not seem to get many good looks in a timely fashion. We always seem to be up against the clock and then force up a prayer shot. Our spacing seems non exisitent and can't remember the last time we found a guy underneath just wide open, or a kickback for a wide open 3 or mid range shot. RM didn't win almost 500 games and reach the national championship playing this kind of offense.

I sat through a long rebuilding process at UD when Brian Gregory arrived. He was left a stellar class in his first year, and went to the NCAA, but the 3 classes behind that were sub-A10 caliber for sure. So this situation reminds me a lot of what we had to go through for 3 years. Even really good freshmen classes are going to take time to accumulate in your system in order for the team to become a really competitive team in the A10. And defections-injuries are going to happen during this rebuild that stunt things somewhat. IMO, it's a 3 year process before you really can start to get dominant again, and 4-5 years before it can be considered complete. Just my opinion.

Face it, there was a lot of hype this year. New Arena, best recruiting class in years, TL and KL's 2nd year in RM's system , the weeding out of our supposed deadwood, and, of course, our potential HOF coach. The hype didn't go as far as to say, "we're dancing in 2009", but it did up our expectations a lot over last year. So, SLU 72 fan's concerns are shared by many. The reality of the situation is only two of the frosh were even semi ready for the leap to D1, KM and BC. WR didn't even play HS ball last year so he's definitely a work in process, BT, like many big men, will take time, KC, although hoops savvy, needs some heavy work on his shot over the summer. All this coupled w/ KL and TL not seemingly able to carry the Billikids on their back has led to some demoralizing losses. As has been pointed out many times on this board, TL and KL's best seasons were in their Soph year. Why? IV was getting double teamed which allowed them more open looks. Now the D's are geared to stop them and let our frosh be frosh. Bottom line: we are still probably another season away from being what that NBA scout called a D1 team capable of competing even in the A-10. RM didn't have a magic wand afterall, an $80mm facility doesn't guarantee W's, and, as every coach worth his salt will tell you, you win with players and ours are just way too young at this point. For the time being, it's still "hard being a Billiken fan. "

Believe you are dead-on with your thoughts. Like you, I'm trying (albeit it's quite hard) to be patient and focus on the positives. Improvement IS being made with KC but you just cannot win many gives with zero production from the guard position. Without KM, it was just too much. Cassity hit that bucket at the end of the game along with the freethrow - but other than that - all he did was pass the ball and otherwise help out. Just like last year when the defense knew that DP would not shoot, this year they know that KC will not shoot. If he and/or PE make a few buckets, so be it. Neither will cause the team to otherwise win the game. Not sure if RC would have done much better but when when your offense boils down to TL and KL, your team becomes predictable and you will struggle. Without an outside shooting game from both KM and KC, the inside game gets even tougher. Right now, WR, BC and BT just cannot get it done without more spacing.

actually i think cassity's shot looks better than mitchell's but he doesnt make them. i think a lot of that goes to confidence and a lot goes to strength. a summer working out will help cassity a lot. in high school kyle got to the lane. he was also bigger than most guards and forwards he went against in class 2A ball. Cassity (and thompson as well) is a great example of the big leap in competition from high school to college. especially at the smaller high schools.

my biggest thing i am seeing this year is that it appears to me that mitchell is the only freshman that has improved from the first game to now. now i am not saying they arent good. i love watching conklin fight. i love watching willie hustle and leap. cassity is a coach's dream player that just does x's and o's right. but at this point they should be coming into a higher level and i dont see it beyond mitchell.

someone posted about butler's kids. and i thought that was a great point about how instrumental their kids are in a big time season they are again having.

hell yesterday the two best players on the floor were richmond's harper, a sophomore that thinks he is kevin durrant, and martel a freshmen that apparently played in canada in high school and was a complete unknown.

my point is other teams are indeed getting big contributions from their kids. we have this reputed great recruiting class that we have to be patient with though.

Believe you are dead-on with your thoughts. Like you, I'm trying (albeit it's quite hard) to be patient and focus on the positives. Improvement IS being made with KC but you just cannot win many gives with zero production from the guard position. Without KM, it was just too much. Cassity hit that bucket at the end of the game along with the freethrow - but other than that - all he did was pass the ball and otherwise help out. Just like last year when the defense knew that DP would not shoot, this year they know that KC will not shoot. If he and/or PE make a few buckets, so be it. Neither will cause the team to otherwise win the game. Not sure if RC would have done much better but when when your offense boils down to TL and KL, your team becomes predictable and you will struggle. Without an outside shooting game from both KM and KC, the inside game gets even tougher. Right now, WR, BC and BT just cannot get it done without more spacing.

i agree with everything you said, however, it's more distressing to me to watch them play defense. i have little patience for lack of effort on defense. i don't think the effort is there. maybe i'm being too negative, but i would work them till they dropped at practice on their defense.

i am baffled by our offensive x's and o's. imo the best thing we can do is everyone be moving. i would especially like to see more picks away from the ball (if anyone watched, richmond rarely picked on the ball but they were setting multiple picks to free harper and martel and their cuts off the ball were fun to watch.

yesterday we stood around. richmond looked like the 1960's celtics compared to us.

and i will say this, lisch and liddell have to be the worst at using on the ball screens i have ever watched. considering we have all heard the story about rickma in practice insisting on defending on a screen by the "twelve inches" line, i wonder why he hasnt also insisted that when using a screen you dribble your defender into the screen instead of circling out 4 feet or going in the opposite direction.

people keep saying we have this elaborate "system" to learn. i am sorry. i just dont see anything elaborate about our offense.

it anything it is too simple.

i agree with everything you said, however, it's more distressing to me to watch them play defense. i have little patience for lack of effort on defense. i don't think the effort is there. maybe i'm being too negative, but i would work them till they dropped at practice on their defense.

Defense you may be right. At the same time, it's hard to set up the defense following missed shots. Much easier and better following made shots.

As to the offense, quite frankly, RM's offensive style just does not seem best suited for TL and KL to shine. Long-term (post KL and TL) I believe we will be fine and/or better at running RM's offense. I say that because I see neither of them (KL and TL) really benefitting from the high picks being set by WR, BC, BE and BT. From what I can tell, RM is big on the "pick and roll." Our team is setting the "pick" but there are not the return passes on "the roll." When the defense plays tighter on our guards/overplay, the offense works and its beautiful to watch. Brad's old system of setting 1 or 2 picks for KL and TL though would seem to be more effective this year. Having an inside threat (IV) their sophomore year, though, is what has helped them the most. We are so better this year but still not there. This is why we need an extra threat (KC, PE) or one of the bigs. Got to have 3 to 4 guys scoring and we are limited with 2.

Thank you all for the cordial responses. Again, I'm not picking on anyone, but we're all saying pretty much the same thing. I'd like to take it a step further. Why aren't our kids stronger and quicker? That's the point of the lifting and conditioning programs. They've been at it for at least 5 months. Some of our on the court issues have to do with strength, we are easily pushed around. This has always been an issue at SLU. Why?

What is so hard about learning our offense and defense? Our spacing yesterday was just horrible. Defensively, I'll give them a pass for yesterday. The triangle and 2 was a disaster, and once they got out of it, we played better.

In the post-game show, PM stated that the team could play a lot better, even with KM absent. Why didn't we?

We can all find programs that are struggling with big frosh classes, but there are some that are not? Butler and Minnesota to name two.

Maybe, it's not that we're regressing, but that the beginning of the year didn't get the kids ready for conference play. Maybe nothing would have!

I, like all of you, will be in at the next games and hope we see improvement. Just wish it could be a little more incremental.

Thank you all for the cordial responses. Again, I'm not picking on anyone, but we're all saying pretty much the same thing. I'd like to take it a step further. Why aren't our kids stronger and quicker? That's the point of the lifting and conditioning programs. They've been at it for at least 5 months. Some of our on the court issues have to do with strength, we are easily pushed around. This has always been an issue at SLU. Why?

What is so hard about learning our offense and defense? Our spacing yesterday was just horrible. Defensively, I'll give them a pass for yesterday. The triangle and 2 was a disaster, and once they got out of it, we played better.

In the post-game show, PM stated that the team could play a lot better, even with KM absent. Why didn't we?

We can all find programs that are struggling with big frosh classes, but there are some that are not? Butler and Minnesota to name two.

Maybe, it's not that we're regressing, but that the beginning of the year didn't get the kids ready for conference play. Maybe nothing would have!

I, like all of you, will be in at the next games and hope we see improvement. Just wish it could be a little more incremental.

Believe you are off-base on your expectations for the weight lifting program. Guys develop and get stronger AFTER the season and not DURING the season. During the season, weight lifting training is designed to keep and maintain your strength. After this season and prior to the start of next season, I think you will see big gains from our guys.

As to this being a chronic problem, I would say it has been since Spoon left. Jeff Harris, Chris Heinrich, Jamaal Tatum all the hit the weights hard and we finally matched up with the likes of Cincy. Under Romar and Brad, guys like IV, Chris Sloan, Ohanon, Frericks, Husak were the norm. Things need to change and I believe they will.

Defense you may be right. At the same time, it's hard to set up the defense following missed shots. Much easier and better following made shots.

As to the offense, quite frankly, RM's offensive style just does not seem best suited for TL and KL to shine. Long-term (post KL and TL) I believe we will be fine and/or better at running RM's offense. I say that because I see neither of them (KL and TL) really benefitting from the high picks being set by WR, BC, BE and BT. From what I can tell, RM is big on the "pick and roll." Our team is setting the "pick" but there are not the return passes on "the roll." When the defense plays tighter on our guards/overplay, the offense works and its beautiful to watch. Brad's old system of setting 1 or 2 picks for KL and TL though would seem to be more effective this year. Having an inside threat (IV) their sophomore year, though, is what has helped them the most. We are so better this year but still not there. This is why we need an extra threat (KC, PE) or one of the bigs. Got to have 3 to 4 guys scoring and we are limited with 2.

i don't care what kind of defense you are playing, man, zone, triangle, box., you don't leave people wide open under the basket as we did yesterday at least twice, not to mention the late defense on the 3 attempts. they need more work on defense.

i don't care what kind of defense you are playing, man, zone, triangle, box., you don't leave people wide open under the basket as we did yesterday at least twice, not to mention the late defense on the 3 attempts. they need more work on defense.

joe, i have to disagree. i like the fact rickma tried some things yesterday defensively and the fact our defensive statistics are pretty darn good, i personally think we can live with the defense.

for us to get better and start winning some of these winnable games and quit the blowouts losses in the tough opponents, we need to develop some offense. far too often we stand around and then expect lisch or liddell to make some sort of jordan move to get a shot opportunity. take 4 missed shots away from each of them each game and say give some one else 4 made shots our whole team perception right now would be completely different.

Believe you are off-base on your expectations for the weight lifting program. Guys develop and get stronger AFTER the season and not DURING the season. During the season, weight lifting training is designed to keep and maintain your strength. After this season and prior to the start of next season, I think you will see big gains from our guys.

As to this being a chronic problem, I would say it has been since Spoon left. Jeff Harris, Chris Heinrich, Jamaal Tatum all the hit the weights hard and we finally matched up with the likes of Cincy. Under Romar and Brad, guys like IV, Chris Sloan, Ohanon, Frericks, Husak were the norm. Things need to change and I believe they will.

In general, I agree with your premise, but these kids began lifting in June and July, not October. Heck, Femi John can lift everyday, but he's not any bigger. Players at BCS schools get bigger during the season.

Again, not trying to argue, just discuss, is it possible we'd be better off with less time watching film and more time lifting? From what I hear 2 and 3 hour film sessions are fairly normal. Again no offense to anyone, but if that's true, can't they watch a little less and get a little stronger?

Are KL, TL and PE appreciably stronger than last year? BE certainly is.

In general, I agree with your premise, but these kids began lifting in June and July, not October. Heck, Femi John can lift everyday, but he's not any bigger. Players at BCS schools get bigger during the season.

Again, not trying to argue, just discuss, is it possible we'd be better off with less time watching film and more time lifting? From what I hear 2 and 3 hour film sessions are fairly normal. Again no offense to anyone, but if that's true, can't they watch a little less and get a little stronger?

i think lisch is more defined and i think that liddell is indeed bigger. eberhardt has shown he is physically stronger imo. his rebounding has improved considerably since last year imo.

I would contend that all four look considerably stronger this year. KL looks about the same, but the other 3 absolutely made gains. I'm hoping Conklin and Thompson turn into iron psychos. Not everyone is Tyler Hansbrough, but his gains from his senior year of high school to this year were profound. It can make all the difference.

I would contend that all four look considerably stronger this year. KL looks about the same, but the other 3 absolutely made gains. I'm hoping Conklin and Thompson turn into iron psychos. Not everyone is Tyler Hansbrough, but his gains from his senior year of high school to this year were profound. It can make all the difference.

This was always one of SIU's strengths. They always seemed stronger than everyteam they played. I think part of this came from their ability to use a red-shirt season. A lot of it could be contributed to the strength coach. He was excellent but left with the football coach when he was hired at NIU.

SIU still has world class weight facilities for their athletes so they are ahead of the game compared to most non-BCS schools but the loss of Coach Klein really shows this year.

Especially at the mid-major ranks this is a very overlooked facet of the game. If you aren't going to be more athletic. you have to be stronger and smarter. Getting WR and BT into the weight room the next 2 offseasons will make the difference between NIT's and NCAA's IMHO.

joe, i have to disagree. i like the fact rickma tried some things yesterday defensively and the fact our defensive statistics are pretty darn good, i personally think we can live with the defense.

for us to get better and start winning some of these winnable games and quit the blowouts losses in the tough opponents, we need to develop some offense. far too often we stand around and then expect lisch or liddell to make some sort of jordan move to get a shot opportunity. take 4 missed shots away from each of them each game and say give some one else 4 made shots our whole team perception right now would be completely different.

roy, what kind of teams have our stats been against all year, and even in those games you see multiple individual and team breakdowns on defense. imo the offense will come along over time, we just don't get any creativity out of our high screen and roll. something is not clicking.

PE's gotten his swoll on, I noticed last game that the kid has some pipes now.

roy, what kind of teams have our stats been against all year,

well i dont have a response for that. point taken.

I cannot comment on games I cannot see (basically all of them) but as to the strength issue, yes and no. As a weight lifter I can tell you that results do not take place overnight, or even in 6 months, to put on a noticable amount of muscle mass. The most important thing to work on at the beginning is build core strength instead of superficial strength. Sure, sculpting the guns may look good, but it's the core muscles that need to be built first and that can take time. This is important for bigs as they need that core and lower body strength to gain position in the post.

Secondly, with most basketball players you do not want to lift for strength but instead lift for endurance, i.e. 3 sets of 15 curls at 50 pounds instead of 3 sets of 10 curls at 75 pounds. Too much muscle mass leads to a loss of mobility, especially in the upper body, and can severly disrupt the form of a jumpshot (I've learned this from personal experience!). This is why most hoops teams have strength coaches dedicated to only their team, to set targeted weightlifting routines.

From the seats it may not look like the guys are bulking up, but up close one can see more definition. Someone mentioned Hansbrough, he has definition but isn't huge.

Just my 2 cents.

PE's gotten his swoll on, I noticed last game that the kid has some pipes now.

That lifting has apparently messed up that hair-trigger release of a jump shot we saw last year. Who gave Dr. Paul the order not to shoot the ball? The same guy who ordered the Code Red?

SHOOT THE BALL, PAUL!