OT: Holiday tournaments

I'm not sure which holiday tournaments you guys attended, but I had a blast covering the 75th Annual Normandy Holiday Invitational. Bryant Allen was great and is definitely the area's top player. A lot of underclassmen talent was on display such as Brier West, Bryton Hobbs, Erick Clark, and Ben McLemore. Here is video of the championship game from last night

I'm not sure which holiday tournaments you guys attended, but I had a blast covering the 75th Annual Normandy Holiday Invitational. Bryant Allen was great and is definitely the area's top player. A lot of underclassmen talent was on display such as Brier West, Bryton Hobbs, Erick Clark, and Ben McLemore. Here is video of the championship game from last night

That's an easy question, I'm absolutely sure the board has the most interest in the Eureka HS youth tourney. I'm expecting 6-700 bills.com'ers to be at my 5th grade girls game at 8 am friday at Wildwood Middle school and after that we'll all road trip south on 109 to LaSalle Middle school for my 6th grade girls at 11 am. See you all there

That's an easy question, I'm absolutely sure the board has the most interest in the Eureka HS youth tourney. I'm expecting 6-700 bills.com'ers to be at my 5th grade girls game at 8 am friday at Wildwood Middle school and after that we'll all road trip south on 109 to LaSalle Middle school for my 6th grade girls at 11 am. See you all there

no doubt about it - are there tourneys other than the EHSYT taking place???

I finally got back to my alma mater to see Bradley Beal and the Red Devils take on Pattonville in the first round of the annual Chaminade Holiday Tournament. This game wasn't even close from the start, and I saw that Chaminade wound up winning its own tournament. Beal didn't disappoint, going 9-11 from the field and pouring in 28. He and the other starters came in to start the third quarter, but were all pulled at the first whistle and the bench players finished the game. So those 28 basically were just in the first half.

As impressed as I was with how smooth Beal is, it didn't look like he was going full speed- not because of an injury or anything, but because he didn't have to. I'd like to see him play a tougher opponent to see what he does when the game isn't so easy. He's got an absolutely natural stroke, and went 4-4 from behind the arc. Beal missed a dunk, mostly because a defender got underneath him awkwardly and he looked more worried about landing on his feet safely than landing the dunk. Anyway, he's as smooth and steady a player as I've seen in a long time, and his list of offers (SLU, Mizzou, Illinois, KU, Florida) and suitors (UNC keeps calling) says a lot. He's not that big, listed at 6-3, but only a sophomore and has big hands and feet (and taller older brothers) so he might have a few more inches to go. Man, would I love to see that kid in Billiken blue.

Also got a chance to talk to Chaminade's AD for a few minutes, and he said Beal is an outstanding student- A's across the board. He's also got two younger brothers in eighth grade out there, and both of them are near 6' and north of 200 lbs. - but soft, and they look like linemen.

The rest of Chaminade's team was impressive- Lockhart is a solid senior guard who seems to run everything out there. I'm surprised he was only listed as having 2 steals and 5 assists. Hannah is a beast for a sophomore, but apparently missed the football season with a torn ACL. He also missed a dunk that probably would have been cake for him if fully healthy.

With the only loss so far coming to McCluer, Chaminade should be in the mix for the state title this year. Love what I saw from the team and Beal, but like I said, I'd like to see them play a tougher opponent to get a better idea.

I finally got back to my alma mater to see Bradley Beal and the Red Devils take on Pattonville in the first round of the annual Chaminade Holiday Tournament. This game wasn't even close from the start, and I saw that Chaminade wound up winning its own tournament. Beal didn't disappoint, going 9-11 from the field and pouring in 28. He and the other starters came in to start the third quarter, but were all pulled at the first whistle and the bench players finished the game. So those 28 basically were just in the first half.

As impressed as I was with how smooth Beal is, it didn't look like he was going full speed- not because of an injury or anything, but because he didn't have to. I'd like to see him play a tougher opponent to see what he does when the game isn't so easy. He's got an absolutely natural stroke, and went 4-4 from behind the arc. Beal missed a dunk, mostly because a defender got underneath him awkwardly and he looked more worried about landing on his feet safely than landing the dunk. Anyway, he's as smooth and steady a player as I've seen in a long time, and his list of offers (SLU, Mizzou, Illinois, KU, Florida) and suitors (UNC keeps calling) says a lot. He's not that big, listed at 6-3, but only a sophomore and has big hands and feet (and taller older brothers) so he might have a few more inches to go. Man, would I love to see that kid in Billiken blue.

Also got a chance to talk to Chaminade's AD for a few minutes, and he said Beal is an outstanding student- A's across the board. He's also got two younger brothers in eighth grade out there, and both of them are near 6' and north of 200 lbs. - but soft, and they look like linemen.

The rest of Chaminade's team was impressive- Lockhart is a solid senior guard who seems to run everything out there. I'm surprised he was only listed as having 2 steals and 5 assists. Hannah is a beast for a sophomore, but apparently missed the football season with a torn ACL. He also missed a dunk that probably would have been cake for him if fully healthy.

With the only loss so far coming to McCluer, Chaminade should be in the mix for the state title this year. Love what I saw from the team and Beal, but like I said, I'd like to see them play a tougher opponent to get a better idea.

Thanks for the recap. Beal is definitely special.

I went to the opening round of the Chaminade Christmas Tournament as well. Pistol and I are both Chaminade alumns and will do everything we can to get Bradley Beal in a Billiken uniform, but that is going to be extremely difficult. I talked to Kelvin Lee after the game against Pattonville and he said that UNC was visiting this week. So we would now appear to be going up against the likes of KU, Illinois, Florida, and now UNC so I would put our chances at slim to none.

As far as the game, Chaminade ran them out of the gym and played reserves for the majority of the second half. They would have put up over 100 if they kept the starters in. Chaminade really gets after it on defense with a full court press led by sophomore Brandon Hannah. We went to see Bradley Beal and he did not disappoint. Beal is just a scorer and he really lets the offense come to him. He did not force any shots and any time he had an inch it was 3 points. He has an effortless stroke and can really fill it up. I heard someone compare him to Stephen Curry and that is a fairly good comparison. I really liked the senior point guard Brandon Lockhart as well. He really sets things up on offense and plays an overall nice game. He made a couple of shots and showed some nice moves off of the bounce. He is a nice player. STL Hoops or Nate, do you know what level of programs are looking at Lockhart? Brandon Hannah was probably the most fun of the Chaminade trio to watch for my friends and I. He is an absolute beast. I do not know if I have seen a sophomore as physically strong as him. He is jacked up and can run like the wind. He looks like a linebacker, but from all accounts he will only play receiver. He attacked the rim on one play but lost control of the ball otherwise he may have ripped the rim down. He is only about 6'3 and did not appear to have guard skills offensively so I would assume football will be the sport that he pursues at the next level. He may want to reconsider his position on the gridiron though. Chaminade is a very exciting team to watch and I will probably make my way out to a couple more Red Devil games this season. STL or Nate, if you ever plan on heading out to a Chaminade game let me know.

I went to the opening round of the Chaminade Christmas Tournament as well. Pistol and I are both Chaminade alumns and will do everything we can to get Bradley Beal in a Billiken uniform, but that is going to be extremely difficult. I talked to Kelvin Lee after the game against Pattonville and he said that UNC was visiting this week. So we would now appear to be going up against the likes of KU, Illinois, Florida, and now UNC so I would put our chances at slim to none.

As far as the game, Chaminade ran them out of the gym and played reserves for the majority of the second half. They would have put up over 100 if they kept the starters in. Chaminade really gets after it on defense with a full court press led by sophomore Brandon Hannah. We went to see Bradley Beal and he did not disappoint. Beal is just a scorer and he really lets the offense come to him. He did not force any shots and any time he had an inch it was 3 points. He has an effortless stroke and can really fill it up. I heard someone compare him to Stephen Curry and that is a fairly good comparison. I really liked the senior point guard Brandon Lockhart as well. He really sets things up on offense and plays an overall nice game. He made a couple of shots and showed some nice moves off of the bounce. He is a nice player. STL Hoops or Nate, do you know what level of programs are looking at Lockhart? Brandon Hannah was probably the most fun of the Chaminade trio to watch for my friends and I. He is an absolute beast. I do not know if I have seen a sophomore as physically strong as him. He is jacked up and can run like the wind. He looks like a linebacker, but from all accounts he will only play receiver. He attacked the rim on one play but lost control of the ball otherwise he may have ripped the rim down. He is only about 6'3 and did not appear to have guard skills offensively so I would assume football will be the sport that he pursues at the next level. He may want to reconsider his position on the gridiron though. Chaminade is a very exciting team to watch and I will probably make my way out to a couple more Red Devil games this season. STL or Nate, if you ever plan on heading out to a Chaminade game let me know.

Ill be going to the chaminade vs. SLUH game on tuesday. Should be an interesting matchup between the two best players in the MCC, TimCooney and Brad BEal

From a recruiting perspective, Beal is the player to watch, as he has the body type to grow. He can already shoot off of the pass or dribble, outisde or in traffic, and he understands the small things. He's already over 6 feet. As long as he works on ball handling skills at the 1 to go along with a 2 skillset, keeps working on his left, and as long as he has a good attitude and plays half-court d, the sky is the limit for him.

From a high school team standpoint, Chaminade lacks the inside offensive presence that may hurt them in post-season at some point. They do have the 6'9 kid, but he has gotten pushed around by kids half his size. Hannah is a nice high school player, not a big time college hoops recruit, mostly because he doesn't appear to have the body type to grow a lot which he will have to do. He has the bulk and demeanor to eat up boards as an undersized power forward in high school, and get some easy buckets. Hannah is a classic tweaner.

Chaminade is a good shooting team, good stamina and fitness, but an off night and their margin for error isn't all that great, despite being a top tier area team this season. They have been playing only 7 deep.

Guest BillikenReport

STL Hoops or Nate, do you know what level of programs are looking at Lockhart?

He's been watched by various programs at all levels. Missouri State is one of the schools I've heard mentioned with him the most.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up anywhere from D-2 to low D-1 or mid-major. He has the opportunity to be seen by a lot of coaches this year, especially coaches who come to see Beal who can recommend Lockhart to their friends in the coaching community. The more games the Red Devils win this winter, the more he'll have a chance to impress people.

Chaminade is a good shooting team, good stamina and fitness, but an off night and their margin for error isn't all that great, despite being a top tier area team this season. They have been playing only 7 deep.

Chaminade is not big, but the key to beating them in my opinion is handling their pressure and turning it into a half court game. If they shoot poorly, it may not matter if Hannah, Lockhart, and Beal are forcing turnover after turnover and merely shooting layups. The game I saw the score was 12-0 before the other team had even run an offensive set and Chaminade had not attempted a shot beyond a couple of feet. It is amazing that 5 of the 7 deep are sophomores. They are a very young team.

St. Charles West and Rockwood Summit also won Holiday tournaments. Both are led by pretty impressive underclassmen, Christian Kirk and Kevin Dwyer. Both would look good in Billiken blue

Not good enough. We only recruit werewolves and stunt doubles from Space Jam® these days...

Guest BillikenReport

Impressions?

I'm not very good at impressions. My friend Mo Drummond can do good impressions of Rick Majerus and Earl Austin Jr.

Guest BillikenReport

And Mo is not even the best impressionist at the 2 Fox.

Martin is very good. A few times when I've talked to him, I started wondering if he was gathering material for future use for an impression.

Mo's Earl Austin Jr. is very good. His RickMa isn't bad. Mo was there for the post-game press conference the other night, so he may have some better material to work with now. It was a colorful press conference.