The SEC, the banking industry...and college basketball

bonwich

When Kevin was deliberately tackled on the late inbounds, play, by the NCAA rulebook that's an intentional foul. Two shots and the ball. Game over. In addition to that, traveling was erased from the rulebook under the auspices of "let the teams, not the refs, decide the game."

And if we're going to talk about consistency in the application of the rules, when Kwamain had the ball and stepped around his defender, who brushed him ever so slightly, play should have continued and the clock should have kept running -- but the refs called a touch foul and stopped the clock after we'd held it for about 2.8 seconds. Compare that with a play earlier in the half when no fewer than four Liberty players collided with Willie, who lost the ball, and it was ruled "play on."

The tape of tonight's game should be sent to the NCAA offices and all three of the referees should be suspended for at least 10 games. The level of incompetence tonight was breathtaking.

The tape of tonight's game should be sent to the NCAA offices and all three of the referees should be suspended for at least 10 games. The level of incompetence tonight was breathtaking.

seems like we get more than our share of poor officials, and i'm talking about calls going both ways

We got two or three calls our way that illustrated bad officiating. However, at the end of the game, with the game in the balance, the officials blatantly no-called a tackle of Kevin and threw out any semblance of travelling on the drives made by Liberty. As noted above -- if they called the rules as written on the fouling of players before the ball is inbounded, we would have had Kevin at the line with two shots, followed by us getting the ball.

Lots of calls get missed, but the crew tonight had no semblance of competence. They should be removed from NCAA officiating.

ok, a little tip, STOP BLAMING THE REFs FOR LAST NIGHTS MELTDOWN!!!

The refs were equally in favor of us the first half as they were for Liberty in the second. It is always humorous to me to see the billikens (kevin namely) hoist up a world of crap down the stretch, the absolute lack of defense played the last five minutes, and innumerable poor decisions and turnovers and then see the fans on here blame the refs.

Get serious. That is like saying "Oh that one taco i had last night at 3am was what made me throw up." Yea right...it couldn't have been the 15 Natty Ice that you drank prior to that.

We played a great 32 minutes last night (I'm subtracting the first 3 and last 5). I was impressed with our offense, for the most part. However, we need to learn to close. It was embaressing last night. And please, for the sake of sanity, stop blaming the refs, it is realy childish.

The refs were equally in favor of us the first half as they were for Liberty in the second. It is always humorous to me to see the billikens (kevin namely) hoist up a world of crap down the stretch, the absolute lack of defense played the last five minutes, and innumerable poor decisions and turnovers and then see the fans on here blame the refs.

Get serious. That is like saying "Oh that one taco i had last night at 3am was what made me throw up." Yea right...it couldn't have been the 15 Natty Ice that you drank prior to that.

We played a great 32 minutes last night (I'm subtracting the first 3 and last 5). I was impressed with our offense, for the most part. However, we need to learn to close. It was embaressing last night. And please, for the sake of sanity, stop blaming the refs, it is realy childish.

RB.

The only thing humorous and childish is your reading comprehension. I have not posted on this topic but if your go back and read the posts, and comprehend what the posters actually wrote, you will find that no one is blaming the refs for the meltdown. FTs were missed, bad decisions and passes were made, our good defense stopped as did our agressiveness. With that said, it's a shame the refs ALSO shut it down the last 4 minutes.

Young man, get some sleep. You must have been up too late with your "Natty Lite." Let go of the anger friend. Nobody is blaming the refs for the Bills meltdown. It was a combination of poor decision making by the Bills and some missed free throws and a great effort by Liberty - they have shown the ability to make big comebacks. If they win their league and play in the NCAA Tourney, they are one of those teams the big boys would not want to play in the first round.

A win is never embarrassing; I don't care how badly you try to pee the game away. We also wouldn't be the first team, nor will we be the last, to divert from a successful attack in the closing minutes of a game. The entire structure of a game changes when the opposing team refuses to let you run your offense by fouling, and then switches their offense to trying to score in the first five seconds of the 35 second clock. What is unconscionable is missing free throws. Basketball is a pretty simple game, and if you hit 80% of your throws in the last four minutes instead of 50% we're not having this conversation.

The only real complaint I have about the refs was that the visiting team shot 25 FTs - that is almost unheard of in NCAA D1 basketball. The visiting team seldom gets to the line and to get 25 FTs is amazing. By the way they made 22 of 25 FTs that is why the game was as close as it was.

The only real complaint I have about the refs was that the visiting team shot 25 FTs - that is almost unheard of in NCAA D1 basketball. The visiting team seldom gets to the line and to get 25 FTs is amazing. By the way they made 22 of 25 FTs that is why the game was as close as it was.

What I don't understand is how we pick our refs. Maybe this was done by the Vegas Tournament but I'm pretty sure those guys were from the East Coast. I know the tall black guy does ACC games and I've never seen the other two. It's Friday night why can't we get a Welmer or o"Neil or Roy's frient Pollard. You guys might not like them but their a damn sight better then last nights clowns.

Young man, get some sleep. You must have been up too late with your "Natty Lite." Let go of the anger friend. Nobody is blaming the refs for the Bills meltdown. It was a combination of poor decision making by the Bills and some missed free throws and a great effort by Liberty - they have shown the ability to make big comebacks. If they win their league and play in the NCAA Tourney, they are one of those teams the big boys would not want to play in the first round.

Unfortunatly for me, I was at work at the time I posted - I am on the East Coast trying to push out a major product by December 22 - hence the reason I am up and at work at 5:15am and probably the reason I am a little edgy.

That said, I think you and I agree. It was poor decision making and miss FTs, coupled with Liberty not giving up. I was impressed with Liberty's fight.

A win is a win. My point was to stop blaming the Ref's, its not very "cool" as the kids like to say

Unfortunatly for me, I was at work at the time I posted - I am on the East Coast trying to push out a major product by December 22 - hence the reason I am up and at work at 5:15am and probably the reason I am a little edgy.

That said, I think you and I agree. It was poor decision making and miss FTs, coupled with Liberty not giving up. I was impressed with Liberty's fight.

A win is a win. My point was to stop blaming the Ref's, its not very "cool" as the kids like to say

It was definitely a combination of factors, but the non-call on Lisch's mugging is one of the most egregious officiating errors I've seen in quite a while. Absolutely ridiculous, even in comparison to the crappy officiating we're usually treated to.

I find it disturbing that in our new home the visitors are routinely shooting more free throws than we are.

You had 7, now 6 freshman. They are not aggressive enough on offense and are too slow (right now) and make silly mistakes on defense. Your opponent will shoot more free throws than you a lot because os this.

You had 7, now 6 freshman. They are not aggressive enough on offense and are too slow (right now) and make silly mistakes on defense. Your opponent will shoot more free throws than you a lot because os this.

This goes both ways doesn't it? Liberty shot more FTs than us yet played more freshman than we did. They have 8 on their active roster. I guess our freshman just aren't aggressive, are too slow, and make silly mistakes while other schools freshman have more experience with these things. ;)