Should Shimmy Be Fired?

Postcard

The results haven't been there. How long do you give her before you make the change? If RM had this record through 3+ seasons would you still want him here?

I brought up this topic a couple months ago and the overwhelming answer was that people loved her enthusiasm and she needed more time. I think its about time for her to put up some real results.

the reason shimmy or any other ladies coach needs more time at a program like slu, is the lesser budget she is afforded to work with compared to what the men's program gets.

shimmy continues to improve the program slow but surely.

The results haven't been there. How long do you give her before you make the change? If RM had this record through 3+ seasons would you still want him here?

She is working hard with enthusiasm and has had a number of brutally tough injuries over the past several years that have really slowed the development of the team. She has been recruiting well and we need to give her a chance.

To me, the question is a ridiculous one--a perfect example of what we have come to today in athletics. We have never been a factor in women's basketball and she is working hard to change that. The team has excellent students and young women with character.

I hope someone some day posts on a blog that you should be fired. Maybe you would understand how truly hurtful and ignorant it is. With all that is going on in our country you suggest that a fine young woman who happens to be a woman's basketball coach who has not won enough games to suit your view of the world so you want her fired. I sure hope you do not lose your job before Christmas like so many have and will before the end of the year. In my view, to suggest she should be fired is an outrage.

She is working hard with enthusiasm and has had a number of brutally tough injuries over the past several years that have really slowed the development of the team. She has been recruiting well and we need to give her a chance.

To me, the question is a ridiculous one--a perfect example of what we have come to today in athletics. We have never been a factor in women's basketball and she is working hard to change that. The team has excellent students and young women with character.

I hope someone some day posts on a blog that you should be fired. Maybe you would understand how truly hurtful and ignorant it is. With all that is going on in our country you suggest that a fine young woman who happens to be a woman's basketball coach who has not won enough games to suit your view of the world so you want her fired. I sure hope you do not lose your job before Christmas like so many have and will before the end of the year. In my view, to suggest she should be fired is an outrage.

All he did was ask a question.

News flash! College basketball coaches are hired to win games. When they don't win enough they're fired. It happens every year. Why is it so hard to believe another coach might be a better answer? Is it possible another coach could recruit excellent students and young women with character AND win a few games? My boss will certainly fire me if I don't produce results. It's called reality. You should look into it.

the reason shimmy or any other ladies coach needs more time at a program like slu, is the lesser budget she is afforded to work with compared to what the men's program gets.

shimmy continues to improve the program slow but surely.

Why should the women's basketball budget be compared to the men's budget? A fair comparison is to other women's basketball budgets both in the A-10 but in the top 100. I suspect at almost every school sans maybe Tenn and U-Conn the women's budget is smaller.

Someone get Billikan a sedative. Man, you go off at anything. Get a grip. Heck, the question of whether any of us should have our jobs probably happens on a daily basis during these times. For better or worse, college athletics has a spotlight on it. A public sounding board is a necessary corollary to the jobs these people have.

I do agree with your central point regarding the issue. Shimmy is working with a program that held an even less stature than the men's team. She has to work harder just to get it to a respectable level. From all indications, and I have zero insight, she is working hard to do it. She has recruited seemingly well and been hurt by injuries and defections from the team.

Why should the women's basketball budget be compared to the men's budget? A fair comparison is to other women's basketball budgets both in the A-10 but in the top 100. I suspect at almost every school sans maybe Tenn and U-Conn the women's budget is smaller.

i agree. but it still means that the wheels turn slower.

Someone get Billikan a sedative. Man, you go off at anything. Get a grip. Heck, the question of whether any of us should have our jobs probably happens on a daily basis during these times. For better or worse, college athletics has a spotlight on it. A public sounding board is a necessary corollary to the jobs these people have.

I do agree with your central point regarding the issue. Shimmy is working with a program that held an even less stature than the men's team. She has to work harder just to get it to a respectable level. From all indications, and I have zero insight, she is working hard to do it. She has recruited seemingly well and been hurt by injuries and defections from the team.

Pizzotti was ther for 10 years and was not well like. Had a staff turnover every year and made a ton of money to LOSE. 1 winning season in 10 years. Shimmy is a good coach and has recruited well over the years, she just signed a contract extension before CL left and she has about 3 or 4 years on it. If she did get fired it she would be fine since they owe her that money, it is the assistant coaches you have to feel sorry for.

Pizzotti got fired with 2 years left on her contract at $165,000 a year, not too bad for sucking as a coach

Also womens basketball is not a money maker, so what coach are you going to get, Thad Strobach to come back. Unless Chris May is a genius and has a better coach in the works he has a great coach in shimmy. All CHris May is a puppet for Father Biondi, he does what they tell him to, nothing wrong with it when you can get paid but do you think he really has any say on what RickMa does?

Pizzotti was just awful and she got a whole decade to do nothing. I think Shimmy deserves 5 full years, then I think it's a good time to have a serious sit down. I also agree with Roy in that the wheels spin slower for the non-revenue generating programs. We still don't even know how this season will end up. What are the terms of her contract?

Guest BillikenReport

Shimmy's top players are juniors. Next year, they will add the tall post player from Miami to the mix and will have a talented sophomore class with a good year of experience.

She should be judged on this year and next year more than the past few seasons.

She's hot, she stays. Enough said.

I'd bet Shimmy will get it done in the long term, it'll take another year or so, but they will be good. Last year they played a brutal schedule with very, very few non conf home games. The results weren't that good, but they battled, and she continues to recruit well. We've lost some players in the last year, what seems to be more than normal ... it's the one question I'd have ... why?

She's hot, she stays. Enough said.

I'd bet Shimmy will get it done in the long term, it'll take another year or so, but they will be good. Last year they played a brutal schedule with very, very few non conf home games. The results weren't that good, but they battled, and she continues to recruit well. We've lost some players in the last year, what seems to be more than normal ... it's the one question I'd have ... why?

ANNE KORDES WAS HIRED AT THE SAME TIME AND PLAYED IN THE SAME FACILITY AND DEVELOPED A TOP 20 PROGRAM.

COMPARE VOLLEYBALL'S AND WOMEN'S BASKETBALL BUDGETS. NOT CLOSE.

STAFF SIZE, NOT CLOSE.

PERKS, ETC, NOT CLOSE.

INJURIES OR NOT THE WOMEN"S PROGRAM LOSES NUMEROUS PLAYERS EVERY YEAR.

ASK BILLIKAN HOW MUCH MONEY THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT LOSES FOR EVERY WOMEN'S GAME IN THE ARENA.

THE MISSOURI STATE GAME WAS MAINLY THEIR FANS

QUIT MAKING EXCUSES......WE ALL ARE ACCOUNTABLE, NO MATTER WHAT JOBS WE HAVE.

ANNE KORDES WAS HIRED AT THE SAME TIME AND PLAYED IN THE SAME FACILITY AND DEVELOPED A TOP 20 PROGRAM.

COMPARE VOLLEYBALL'S AND WOMEN'S BASKETBALL BUDGETS. NOT CLOSE.

STAFF SIZE, NOT CLOSE.

PERKS, ETC, NOT CLOSE.

INJURIES OR NOT THE WOMEN"S PROGRAM LOSES NUMEROUS PLAYERS EVERY YEAR.

ASK BILLIKAN HOW MUCH MONEY THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT LOSES FOR EVERY WOMEN'S GAME IN THE ARENA.

THE MISSOURI STATE GAME WAS MAINLY THEIR FANS

QUIT MAKING EXCUSES......WE ALL ARE ACCOUNTABLE, NO MATTER WHAT JOBS WE HAVE.

YOU LEFT THE CAPS LOCK KEY ON STOP YOU MIGHT WANT TO TURN IT OFF NEXT TIME STOP IT WOULD MAKE IT MORE ENJOYABLE TO READ STOP I HOPE THIS WAS NOT DONE INTENTIONALLY IN ORDER TO CONVEY A SENSE OF URGENCY STOP AT LEAST LET HER FINISH HER FOURTH FULL SEASON STOP

YOU LEFT THE CAPS LOCK KEY ON STOP YOU MIGHT WANT TO TURN IT OFF NEXT TIME STOP IT WOULD MAKE IT MORE ENJOYABLE TO READ STOP I HOPE THIS WAS NOT DONE INTENTIONALLY IN ORDER TO CONVEY A SENSE OF URGENCY STOP AT LEAST LET HER FINISH HER FOURTH FULL SEASON STOP

I totally understand the whole wins versus losses argument but do you not think sometimes situations aren't as black and white as that?

I totally understand the whole wins versus losses argument but do you not think sometimes situations aren't as black and white as that?

Definitely. Pizzotti was horrible. She left Shimmy with a blank slate. This is a complete start from scratch situation. It takes at least four years, and I think she deserves another after this one.

Who cares? It is women's basketball. The average JV high school boys team plays at a higher level.

You aren't even close to right on that one David, there's not a HS JV team in StL that could beat the SLU ladies. I care, I along with another guy have a select girls bball organization with teams in grades 3-8. Our 7th and 8th grade teams will be playing a scrimmage game at halftime of the Jan 10th game against Dayton. Come out and give it a try.

You aren't even close to right on that one David, there's not a HS JV team in StL that could beat the SLU ladies. I care, I along with another guy have a select girls bball organization with teams in grades 3-8. Our 7th and 8th grade teams will be playing a scrimmage game at halftime of the Jan 10th game against Dayton. Come out and give it a try.

Skip, my comment was mostly in jest. However, I did watch the women play on TV last week, and I am amazed at the drastic difference between the women's game and men's.