Xavier 35 - Mizzou 32 At Half

Postcard

Xavier up 3 with ten seconds left, fouled before Mizzou could get the shot off. Seems Miller has learned from the past and has changed his game strategy a little.

75-71 X. Nice win for the A10.

Gary Link,Missouri's color guy gave Miller credit for fouling when up by 3 with seconds to go. I can't believe there are coaches[including Rick} who don't foul in that situation. It's just so obvious to me that is the only to do.

Gary Link,Missouri's color guy gave Miller credit for fouling when up by 3 with seconds to go. I can't believe there are coaches[including Rick} who don't foul in that situation. It's just so obvious to me that is the only to do.

Not to mention when Mizzou is in the midst of bricking every free throw attempt. 15 for 31, or 48.4%. Ouch.

I think Miller actually had them foul a few times down the stretch rather than allow a field goal attempt as the shot clock got low. It paid off. On their side, Holloway (freshman) hit 10-10 from the FT line, most in the second half. When there are 56 fouls in a game, the charity stripe will be a factor.

It's a nice win, but a loss would have been really bad (yes, even this early). XU is one of the top teams in the A10. Losing to a team that looks to be about .500 in the Big 12 would have been a bad outcome. Maybe missouri will surprise people this year, but that would really be turning the tide down there.

You are really overstating what a Xavier loss would have meant. Teams can recover easily from bad early season losses.

Of course you can overcome it, but a bad loss is a bad loss. If the top A10 team would have lost to a middle of the road (at best) Big 12 team it gives creedance to those who think the BCS conferences deserve all of the bids. Fortunately it didn't happen.

I don't think if Rhode Island had held on to win at Duke that all of the sudden, there would be a national outcry for more bids for the A10. It certainly would have been a signature win for URI, but it's just one game. The entire body of work will be analyzed. I don't think you can accurately draw broad conclusions based on one game. I don't think the fact that Mercer, a 11-19 team last year, won at Alabama, a team projected by many to win the SEC West, is going to drastically alter the perceptions of the SEC and the Atlantic Sun - a league with a 28 RPI last year.

I don't think if Rhode Island had held on to win at Duke that all of the sudden, there would be a national outcry for more bids for the A10. It certainly would have been a signature win for URI, but it's just one game. The entire body of work will be analyzed. I don't think you can accurately draw broad conclusions based on one game. I don't think the fact that Mercer, a 11-19 team last year, won at Alabama, a team projected by many to win the SEC West, is going to drastically alter the perceptions of the SEC and the Atlantic Sun - a league with a 28 RPI last year.

I think you're reading too much into my post. Here's what I typed: "It's a nice win, but a loss would have been really bad (yes, even this early)."

I'll stand my my statement that it would have been a bad loss. If Duke lost to RI it would have also been a bad loss. The A10 is less likely to get multiple bids if the top teams start losing to middle of the road teams from other conferences. One game won't make a difference, but it won't take many games like that to cause problems. I'm glad it didn't happen.

As I was leaving the game last night some fan said "mizzou would beat kent state by 25"... i about died

you should have used that opportunity to place a bet on who would see the ncaa tourney between kent state and mi$$ouri.

I was impressed with Missouri only having 7 turnovers despite their up and down style. They also forced Xavier into 22 turnovers. Free throw shooting was their downfall, 7/20 in the 2nd half.

Xavier doesn't handle the ball well at the point this year. They coughed it up more than that against D-II Findlay in the exhibition game a couple weeks ago. Holloway is a freshman and makes a couple bonehead mistakes a game, Brad Redford is steady but small and can be physically overwhelmed, and Dante Jackson is inconsistent.

When I said the Xavier win over Mizzou was a nice win for the conference, it was even more so about who they'll get to play now- winners' bracket instead of losers' bracket. They have Virginia Tech instead of Fairfield and will get the Memphis-USC winner if they beat VT...and the loser of Memphis-USC if they lose. Not a bad RPI boost.

FWIW, I had Xavier by 2 over Mizz.

To continue ---On a neutral court Mizz by 2 over Kent St. which means the winner would prob ably be the home team in a home & home series

And finally continuing the fantasy...If Mizzou comes 2 Chaifetz I show them 2 over the Bills.

FWIW, I had Xavier by 2 over Mizz.

To continue ---On a neutral court Mizz by 2 over Kent St. which means the winner would prob ably be the home team in a home & home series

And finally continuing the fantasy...If Mizzou comes 2 Chaifetz I show them 2 over the Bills.

So, how do you compare Missouri to Boston College? Considering how many of Missouri's players are inexperienced, I don't know if they'd beat SLU at Chaifetz.