slu baseball bad news

floridaguy

I just heard from baseball alum close to coach, not sure, that coach rasied money for some new projects to help baseball facilities and the school is dragging their feet and not allowing these to be done. ANyone got anything on this probably not since it is basketball, but if this is true, and it is not unheard of for the little magician in the evil tower. Maybe he is trying to steal their money like he did several years back. God Bless Bob Hughes! This is apparently pretty serious as coach is trying to get out, could not blame him, but surely there is some illogical explanation knowing our dumb school. I heard the donors would get involved soon. ANyone got anything, because I know he has been raising funds for new projects, dugouts and indoor maybe? They are going to lose another coach and not even blink an eye because they blew smoke at him to come here and are not delivering. What an unbelievable place! I realize this is a basketball blog mostly but anyone got anything? It sounds pretty amazing, considering they played the Cards last year, won some games and have a great coach with a sound track record of winning, and a Top 100 recruiting class to boot, oh forgot, Mizzou this year at Busch Satdium.

Congrats to Lisch for hitting a 3 today and I cant wait to see Chaifetz, but I also like baseball.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just heard from baseball alum close to coach, not sure, that coach rasied money for some new projects to help baseball facilities and the school is dragging their feet and not allowing these to be done. ANyone got anything on this probably not since it is basketball, but if this is true, and it is not unheard of for the little magician in the evil tower. Maybe he is trying to steal their money like he did several years back. God Bless Bob Hughes! This is apparently pretty serious as coach is trying to get out, could not blame him, but surely there is some illogical explanation knowing our dumb school. I heard the donors would get involved soon. ANyone got anything, because I know he has been raising funds for new projects, dugouts and indoor maybe? They are going to lose another coach and not even blink an eye because they blew smoke at him to come here and are not delivering. What an unbelievable place! I realize this is a basketball blog mostly but anyone got anything? It sounds pretty amazing, considering they played the Cards last year, won some games and have a great coach with a sound track record of winning, and a Top 100 recruiting class to boot, oh forgot, Mizzou this year at Busch Satdium.

Congrats to Lisch for hitting a 3 today and I cant wait to see Chaifetz, but I also like baseball.

Over the years there has been some fundraising done for the soccer program. At one point the people doing the fundraising were told that they could not give money directly to the soccer program...that it had to be given to the general athletic fund and let the AD distribute the money. These folks responded by refusing to raise any money until the AD's office relented. I believe they skipped the event entirely for at least one year.

Take it for what it's worth. I'd like to give you names but can't really screw over the guy I know.

Over the years there has been some fundraising done for the soccer program. At one point the people doing the fundraising were told that they could not give money directly to the soccer program...that it had to be given to the general athletic fund and let the AD distribute the money. These folks responded by refusing to raise any money until the AD's office relented. I believe they skipped the event entirely for at least one year.

Take it for what it's worth. I'd like to give you names but can't really screw over the guy I know.

So basically it is the track recrod of the school to control everything. The funny part is the coach or alumni group booster club whatever raises the money and then cant spend it on the designated projects? Wow, who would coach at SLU besides RM who has it all and deserves most of it, why do they have sports? Is anyone happy in the athletics department, I know their business manager just left to go to UIC because he could not stand it one more day. What a f*&^%d up place.

So basically it is the track recrod of the school to control everything. The funny part is the coach or alumni group booster club whatever raises the money and then cant spend it on the designated projects? Wow, who would coach at SLU besides RM who has it all and deserves most of it, why do they have sports? Is anyone happy in the athletics department, I know their business manager just left to go to UIC because he could not stand it one more day. What a f*&^%d up place.

Well, they DIDN'T try to control things like that for a long time. It's something that happened in the past few years.

I'm actually a big baseball fan, who played baseball briefly at a local junior college. However, we need to understand that all colleges are going through unexpectedly tough time times with fundraising with the economy. Of course, I don't know the particulars with the actual amounts raised by Darin Hendrikson, but SLU baseball is low priority, as it should be.

It doesn't generate much revenue or much interest around campus. If the source with scarce dollars is to boost funding in baseball and other non-revenue sports or focus attention to SLU's core, men's basketball and men's soccer. I'd do that in a heartbeat. If SLU can take it to the next level in basketball, then the new revenues there can trickle down to baseball and other non-revenue sports.

I'm actually a big baseball fan, who played baseball briefly at a local junior college. However, we need to understand that all colleges are going through unexpectedly tough time times with fundraising with the economy. Of course, I don't know the particulars with the actual amounts raised by Darin Hendrikson, but SLU baseball is low priority, as it should be.

It doesn't generate much revenue or much interest around campus. If the source with scarce dollars is to boost funding in baseball and other non-revenue sports or focus attention to SLU's core, men's basketball and men's soccer. I'd do that in a heartbeat. If SLU can take it to the next level in basketball, then the new revenues there can trickle down to baseball and other non-revenue sports.

What if you have a donor or group of donors who want to give money for the baseball program? Will you tell them that you'll gladly take their money but spend it on other things?

Who left that athletic department to go to UIC

What if you have a donor or group of donors who want to give money for the baseball program? Will you tell them that you'll gladly take their money but spend it on other things?

The key is how the donors give the money. If they donate money on condition that it be used solely for a particular purpose, the school generally can use the money solely for that purpose. But more often than not, donors don't know to specify exactly how their money is to be spent - typically because they don't know and are too trusting. They may have had discussions with someone (maybe even a coach) about how they wanted the funds to be used, but more often than not they do not specify the purpose at the time they donate. If they do not, the money is usually just added to the general revenue (either for the whole school or for the athletic department, but rarely for a particular purpose).

Assuming money was actually given here, the issue is who were the checks made out or whether there was a cover letter that specified how the money was to be used. Absent that, the school treats it like any other donation and can and usually does do what it wants with it - even more so right now due to the unexpected economic conditions and the very difficult situation almost every school is in. Many/most universities are laying off people and freezing spending - don't expect a lot of expenditures on new projects. You can say what you want, but that is the reality of the economic situation at most universities right now - no new building/projects when you are laying off people. Doesn't look good and it isn't the way people should be treated. If the coach has a problem with that, let him go look for a new position in this economic environment. I don't think you will find the usual number of openings in the non-revenue sports as those who have positions are much more likely to hold on to them in this climate.

The key is how the donors give the money. If they donate money on condition that it be used solely for a particular purpose, the school generally can use the money solely for that purpose. But more often than not, donors don't know to specify exactly how their money is to be spent - typically because they don't know and are too trusting. They may have had discussions with someone (maybe even a coach) about how they wanted the funds to be used, but more often than not they do not specify the purpose at the time they donate. If they do not, the money is usually just added to the general revenue (either for the whole school or for the athletic department, but rarely for a particular purpose).

Assuming money was actually given here, the issue is who were the checks made out or whether there was a cover letter that specified how the money was to be used. Absent that, the school treats it like any other donation and can and usually does do what it wants with it - even more so right now due to the unexpected economic conditions and the very difficult situation almost every school is in. Many/most universities are laying off people and freezing spending - don't expect a lot of expenditures on new projects. You can say what you want, but that is the reality of the economic situation at most universities right now - no new building/projects when you are laying off people. Doesn't look good and it isn't the way people should be treated. If the coach has a problem with that, let him go look for a new position in this economic environment. I don't think you will find the usual number of openings in the non-revenue sports as those who have positions are much more likely to hold on to them in this climate.

In the situation I described, there was an annual large donation made to the soccer program. The AD's office told the people that they could no longer do that...the money had to be placed in the general fund. That's why they refused to donate until the AD's office relented.

Aj,

Soccer contrary to popular belief raises no revenue. Thye have not won an A-10 conf championship title since joining the A-10 and finished in 4th this year with 4 A-10 losses, the last title won by soccer overall was 1973 perception does not equal reality. Basketball is and should be the moneymaker not soccer. My point, was to say if donors come out and give with the intentions of designating monies and nothing gets done for whatever reason, unless validated by the school, no one should give and that is where aSLU is at in some non-revenue sports. The donors are trying to improve what the school will not so they should not be roadblocked, get it. As for the coach getting a new job, yes it is a tough time for a new job, but that has nothing to do with donated money not being guided to where it was given. SLu will find a way to turn this into something it is not and beat another good person down. There are not any revenues coming for about 4-5 years either for this ARena is still to be paid my foolish friends.

Just a bit of history - When Itchy Jones was still the baseball coach at SIU, he decided to hit up all the former boosters and players for money and local unions and contractors for labor to build a clubhouse for baseball as the University wasn't interested. After many years, Jones' clubhouse was completed. The softball team immediatly complained about the baseball team having superior facilities. Title IX kicked in and the University was forced to build a new stadium for the women. (That's my understanding of the sequence - if I have a detail incorrect I apologize.)

The moral of the story is: When raising money for one program, make sure you give an equal amount to the women or you'll find yourself in court.

Just a bit of history - When Itchy Jones was still the baseball coach at SIU, he decided to hit up all the former boosters and players for money and local unions and contractors for labor to build a clubhouse for baseball as the University wasn't interested. After many years, Jones' clubhouse was completed. The softball team immediatly complained about the baseball team having superior facilities. Title IX kicked in and the University was forced to build a new stadium for the women. (That's my understanding of the sequence - if I have a detail incorrect I apologize.)

The moral of the story is: When raising money for one program, make sure you give an equal amount to the women or you'll find yourself in court.

Thanks for the "bit of history" except when raising money by people who donate for that cause Title IX is not in play. The school is not raising any money. It all comes privately by donors so that does not mean squat to softball, that is the part that is confusing as to why SLU would not be looking to improve any facilities with free money. They are not being asked to put one dime in for anything obviously with recent completion of the arena, their plate is full one would assume.

Who left that athletic department to go to UIC

I believe he is talking about Bill Thomas. Bill went to Chicago (UIC) because his long-time girlfriend got a promotion and had to move to Chicago for her job. He simply wanted to be with her and that explains his move, not because he has ill will towards SLU.

I believe he is talking about Bill Thomas. Bill went to Chicago (UIC) because his long-time girlfriend got a promotion and had to move to Chicago for her job. He simply wanted to be with her and that explains his move, not because he has ill will towards SLU.

This sounds like someone who got fired and is pissed off. Hell, if his job was to write something that made sense, I can understand the firing. It actually reads like basketballcountry wrote it.

I actually disagree with you..If you look around the country and see big time programs they have big time stadiums and make a ton of money. College kids would love nothing more then sitting out in the sun drinking a beer...Not to mention, this is a BASEBALL CITY!!! I mean come on, if SLU improved that facility even by 20-30% this year and keep adding on, I'd promise you that it would bring in a tremendous revenue. For example, Ole Miss averages 4500 fans a game, you think thats enough for a good revenue?

Granted we need to start winning some games, but you won't win any if you don't have the support, obv Coach Hendrickson is doing something right if he brought in a Top 100 class in..What is the school doing?

I actually disagree with you..If you look around the country and see big time programs they have big time stadiums and make a ton of money.

Please cite your sources. According to this, for example, virtually no college baseball teams make money. And the ones that likely don't have a pro team 25 blocks away.

Thanks for the "bit of history" except when raising money by people who donate for that cause Title IX is not in play. The school is not raising any money. It all comes privately by donors so that does not mean squat to softball, that is the part that is confusing as to why SLU would not be looking to improve any facilities with free money. They are not being asked to put one dime in for anything obviously with recent completion of the arena, their plate is full one would assume.

I wonder how all the sports programs not named mens basketball would like it if the mens basketball program decided to raise additional funds and none of it would go to the other sports?

At the end of the day, the sports programs are communistic in nature as mens basketball and to a much lesser extent the mens soccer team are the only ones that generate noticeable revenue and they essentially fund all of the other programs. Since none of the other programs can create a profit it doesn't seem right for them to raise their own funds and keep it for themselves. Once we start that, every sport (including mens basketball) should be able to do it and I promise you every sport besides mens basketball will end up much worse for that decision.

I actually disagree with you..If you look around the country and see big time programs they have big time stadiums and make a ton of money. College kids would love nothing more then sitting out in the sun drinking a beer...Not to mention, this is a BASEBALL CITY!!! I mean come on, if SLU improved that facility even by 20-30% this year and keep adding on, I'd promise you that it would bring in a tremendous revenue. For example, Ole Miss averages 4500 fans a game, you think thats enough for a good revenue?

Granted we need to start winning some games, but you won't win any if you don't have the support, obv Coach Hendrickson is doing something right if he brought in a Top 100 class in..What is the school doing?

you think that 4500 a game is going to pay for the 23 scholarships that baseball is responsible for (if you got 11.5 for the men you got the same on the other side to establish title IX) and about 8 coaches, the fields, insurance, travel, etc? no way. hey i am all about the non revenue sports, but i dont pretend they can ever carry their own budgets on ticket sales.

How about SLU starts to improve the field by removing the concrete and iron mostly underneath the dirt so it doesn't hurt the players' knees and allows for proper water drainage. Now that would help the teams.

Hate to hear this if it is true, new coach is trying to go against all the negative forces and get something done, improve the baseball team overall.

Soccer overemphazied here for decades, why??, this is a baseball town, baseball is a great sport!

My understanding is that the Title IX lawyers jumped into the fray citing the inequity of facilities between the men and women. The fact that the men raised money from sources outside the university was a moot point. The facilities must be equal or reasonably equal or there is a breach of Title IX.

My understanding is that the Title IX lawyers jumped into the fray citing the inequity of facilities between the men and women. The fact that the men raised money from sources outside the university was a moot point. The facilities must be equal or reasonably equal or there is a breach of Title IX.

Title IX is a huge injustice to male athletes, and is hurting college athletics other than precious football and basketball.

In non revenue sports, women who are very very "borderline" get full rides to major universities while top fllight male athletes have to walk on...

Everybody knows this, but no one in congress dare bring it up or you are labeled a "sexist" and stupid uninformed voters who do not look into the facts vote against you on one thing they hear and you are OUT.

Typical victory for the liberals, leave a trail of waste but they are happy.

Title IX is a huge injustice to male athletes, and is hurting college athletics other than precious football and basketball.

In non revenue sports, women who are very very "borderline" get full rides to major universities while top fllight male athletes have to walk on...

Everybody knows this, but no one in congress dare bring it up or you are labeled a "sexist" and stupid uninformed voters who do not look into the facts vote against you on one thing they hear and you are OUT.

Typical victory for the liberals, leave a trail of waste but they are happy.

Please don't resort to name-calling and politics, especially when your points are wrong. From what I gather, the gist of your post is basically that those who participate in sports that don't generate money (i.e. mostly women) don't deserve scholarships. Female athletes, just like men, receive scholarships at the discretion of college coaches. If they aren't qualified to receive scholarships, they certainly won't because of the amount that each team has to work with. If the male athletes are truly "top flight," they will receive scholarships.

I don't understand why you feel the need to compare the abilities of male and female athletes to one another because they generally don't compete for the same teams or scholarships. It's no secret that men and women have different physical abilities, but that is far from the point.

"Stupid uninformed voters" play virtually no role in Title IX. The law was enacted in 1972 and has been amended since then. It has also caused some lawsuits to ensure the compliance of certain programs. Never have voters directly had to address this law.

Title IX, like any other rules in the NCAA, has far-reaching effects and has achieved mixed results. Removing such a rule would likely be more damaging to the majority of student-athletes, though. The fact is that all non-revenue sports, men's or women's, struggle with scholarship allocation.

There are still more men in college athletics than women. It's unfortunate that non-revenue men's sports often have to be eliminated or poorly funded, but that's equally due to football and Title IX, which have never fit comfortably. That's why I don't want to see SLU try to implement a scholarship football program.

The NY Times did a great series on the NCAA scholarship issue back in March:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/sports/10scholarships.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/11/sports/1...&ref=sports

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/12/sports/12lifestyles.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/12/sports/12envy.html

Title IX is not perfect but it seems to be the best we've got at this point. If you can think of a law that would be an improvement and still uphold the rights granted to all US citizens regardless of gender, I would be interested to hear it.

I know it takes more work to have an educated opinion, but that would spare us all from the knee-jerk angry rants of a "stupid uninformed voter."