Parking at the Olive/compton garage

What did everybody think of the parking at the olive compton garage. Wasn't a bad walk, plus a nice night. Can't wait till January went cold and rainy though

I parked in the Sigma-Aldrich lot which is great for those that live in Illinois.

Longer walk than before but not too bad.

Interested in what others have to say about their parking experiences.

I road the Metro Link, walked from the station to Garand and Laclede and was the provided a ride to the game from there. After the game I received a ride up to Grand and then a Van ride to he Metro Link Station. Excellent service from the University.

I Don't know if they had a Van at the Link on the way to thegame because I didn't look for one.

Disappointed with the crowd. I though for sure that the reason you couldn't hear the crowd at the Savis was because of the size of the building vs the size of the crowd.

It will take some time I guess to get people to open their mouths and YELL!!!

Thanks, wanted to get that off my chest.

I parked in the Sigma-Aldrich lot which is great for those that live in Illinois.

Longer walk than before but not too bad.

Interested in what others have to say about their parking experiences.

Also parked at Sigma and it wasn't bad at all. It will be a nice a COLD walk later in the season! Saw there is a $20 VIP lot across the street from Chaifetz but not too many cars (none that I could see) in it.

Also parked at Sigma and it wasn't bad at all. It will be a nice a COLD walk later in the season! Saw there is a $20 VIP lot across the street from Chaifetz but not too many cars (none that I could see) in it.

That's because most of the VIPs didn't bother to show up!

It was $10.00 and getting out after this game was a breeze. I don't expect it to be as easy once we start to have bigger crowds.

For those of us coming up from the South on Compton it was easy getting there.

But with hardly any pedestrian traffic crossing Compton for lack of places to park (unless it was a courtesy for Harris-Stowe students and friends) it was strange they would block Compton going South from Olive.

So we had to go past Union Station to 18th street to get to Sqwires and Lafayette Brewery on Park Ave where we car pooled for free parking. Later this won't be a problem as the Jefferson Ave bridge by UPS will be re opened around January 1, 2009

I'm not complaining about the lack of attendance just the lack of noise from 3/4's of the crowd. I saw the guy I used to sit next to in the upper reaches of Savis and he felt the same way. I go to be part of the game by adding my voice not taking time to catch up on the latest gossip with my neighbors while the game is going on, as some of those seated around me where doing. Also I had several young kids sitting behind me who looked as if they were scared to death to make any noise. They need to be shown that it is okay to voice your support for the team during the game if you want to develop future die hard fans.

JMHO

I'm not complaining about the lack of attendance just the lack of noise from 3/4's of the crowd. I saw the guy I used to sit next to in the upper reaches of Savis and he felt the same way. I go to be part of the game by adding my voice not taking time to catch up on the latest gossip with my neighbors while the game is going on, as some of those seated around me where doing. Also I had several young kids sitting behind me who looked as if they were scared to death to make any noise. They need to be shown that it is okay to voice your support for the team during the game if you want to develop future die hard fans.

JMHO

I forgot that the comment in question was referring to crowd involvement, not attendance. I apologize.

However, I don't know if I would be doing much yelling or cheering, either, during a 45-point blowout of exhibition fodder, and I consider myself a fairly active fan. I sometimes join in on the S-A-INT L-O-UIS cheer, and I yell during crucial moments of the game, but I'd rather just watch the game and not have to go home hoarse just because I attended a basketball game.

JMHO

I think part of the problem was many people were taking in the building for the first time for a basketball game. People were not getting into the game like they might have because they were distracted by a building they hadn't been in before for a basketball game. You had people moving around during the game checking out their friends seats and comparing the view during an actual game to the view in their seats. The game itself in a lot of ways just an additional plus to a lot of people last night. Checking out the building during a game was the main event.

The first Cardinal games at the new Busch didn't always feel like a great atmosphere. That was because the building's newness of the building was the attraction for many people.

I split season tickets with my dad since I can probably only make 5 or so games this year, and he let my 19-year-old sister and her boyfriend have them for the HSSU game. She goes to Meremec CC but has been to a few games at Scottrade in the past. A couple of her observations from the game, paraphrased, seem relevant to this thread:

-Parking was easy. We made a right on Olive from Grand and had no trouble finding a spot on the street.

-The new arena is really, really nice and a much better size than the last one.

-The size of the crowd was good but they weren't loud or into it. There were, like, a lot of old people and maybe only a couple hundred students, tops.

-Number 23 [Cassity] is the new player to keep an eye on. He's so fast and so good and does everything well. I like him.

-Big number 41 needs to run faster and also jump higher for rebounds.

-We got a free poster on the way out and it has the game dates and times so now I don't have to worry about not having it on the tickets.

So there you go, some objective, in-depth analysis from my little sister. She had me laughing pretty hard, even if she didn't mean to and especially when she was trying to be nice about describing the crowd. Just having a smaller, newer arena doesn't automatically give us a great atmosphere. We need more students to show up every night and we need all those alums to give a verbal or physical response every now and then. This is one of my biggest pet peeves with SLU fans- it's hard for players to get jacked up in front of a crowd who sits there with their arms folded and mouth shut.

I've suspected before that street parking wouldn't be too tough around there, so that's probably what I'll rely on when I'm in town.

It's not a VIP lot, it's open to the public. I talked with the parking lot attendant and they will finish paving it by the UMSL game. They are also selling season passes to park there. Yes, $20 is a bit steep, but it sure is convenient, especially since the exit is on Market, not Compton.

I did like the fact that there were a number of police officers helping to direct and control the traffic after the game.

Any word as to whether parking is available at A.G. Edwards/Wachovia/Wells Fargo/Your Name Here?

Gotta love your "your name here" humor.

Aren't lots down by S. Jefferson a bus ride away? Seems way too far to walk from, Your Name Here lots.

I split season tickets with my dad since I can probably only make 5 or so games this year, and he let my 19-year-old sister and her boyfriend have them for the HSSU game. She goes to Meremec CC but has been to a few games at Scottrade in the past. A couple of her observations from the game, paraphrased, seem relevant to this thread:

-Parking was easy. We made a right on Olive from Grand and had no trouble finding a spot on the street.

-The new arena is really, really nice and a much better size than the last one.

-The size of the crowd was good but they weren't loud or into it. There were, like, a lot of old people and maybe only a couple hundred students, tops.

-Number 23 [Cassity] is the new player to keep an eye on. He's so fast and so good and does everything well. I like him.

-Big number 41 needs to run faster and also jump higher for rebounds.

-We got a free poster on the way out and it has the game dates and times so now I don't have to worry about not having it on the tickets.

So there you go, some objective, in-depth analysis from my little sister. She had me laughing pretty hard, even if she didn't mean to and especially when she was trying to be nice about describing the crowd. Just having a smaller, newer arena doesn't automatically give us a great atmosphere. We need more students to show up every night and we need all those alums to give a verbal or physical response every now and then. This is one of my biggest pet peeves with SLU fans- it's hard for players to get jacked up in front of a crowd who sits there with their arms folded and mouth shut.

I've suspected before that street parking wouldn't be too tough around there, so that's probably what I'll rely on when I'm in town.

i think there were more than 200 students there. hey i have been about the toughest on slu students in the past, but all in all i would take the showup and their enthusiasm the other night for a whole season and it would top any slu student season maybe in history. i would guess it was closer to 400 or 500 students there. especially if they say that 1000 will fit in that section next to the band.

your sister is pretty observant if she noticed cassity that well. big kudos to her. that said, my daughter and one of her best friends were sitting next to me and they decided that cassity is the best looking (with conklin second) so probably everyone's little sister there wednesday night was studying cassity pretty closely. ;)

i think there were more than 200 students there. hey i have been about the toughest on slu students in the past, but all in all i would take the showup and their enthusiasm the other night for a whole season and it would top any slu student season maybe in history. i would guess it was closer to 400 or 500 students there. especially if they say that 1000 will fit in that section next to the band.

your sister is pretty observant if she noticed cassity that well. big kudos to her. that said, my daughter and one of her best friends were sitting next to me and they decided that cassity is the best looking (with conklin second) so probably everyone's little sister there wednesday night was studying cassity pretty closely. ;)

I'm pretty sure the biggest factor in her assessment was looks. Based on Cassity (I had to look up his picture after talking to her- he could pass for 13) and her boyfriend, she has a thing for young, moppy-haired skinny guys. Sorry, Brett- too tall. She only tops the 5-foot mark in heels. Anyway, I guess it's good for marginal fans to have a favorite player. She'll be keeping an eye on him this season, I'm sure.

I'm hoping for a full student section when I get to my first game there against BC. Saturday afternoon, biggest name (if not the best team) on the home schedule, weekend before Thanksgiving- there aren't many reasons for the students not to show up for that one. I'm also hoping for a capacity crowd in general because I want to see how loud the place can get.