Missouri St. on Schedule

kshoe

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Timmerman's latest blog Missouri St. is on the schedule this year. Last speculation I had heard was that they wouldn't be on the schedule because they wanted to have us go down there again this year. This is good news in my opinion.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/billiken-...was-timmermann/

http://www.missouristatebears.com/ViewArti...;ATCLID=1507555

mosu does't mention us on their schedule announcement

hope we do play them as the game/series makes sense to me

http://www.missouristatebears.com/ViewArti...;ATCLID=1507555

mosu does't mention us on their schedule announcement

hope we do play them as the game/series makes sense to me

I think he wrote this blog in 3 minutes.

He mentioned we play St. Joe's in the Palestra, that would be the 3rd year in a row we did not get a home game with them.

I think he wrote this blog in 3 minutes.

He mentioned we play St. Joe's in the Palestra, that would be the 3rd year in a row we did not get a home game with them.

Actually, he said we don't play at St. Joe's. It's an awkwardly written statement though.

and that SLU doesn’t play at St. Joe’s this season, which is playing its games at the Palestra. I was hoping to take in a game there.

C'mon --- give the guy a break. I took it he was on vacation for a month and was approached coming out of Church for crissakes (pun itended!). The lack of valuable and relevant topics on this board lately would seem to support the fact that there aint' much happening with the old beloved Blue Boys right now so what's anyone to do???? So he wrote something to fill in his obvious blank. Remember when sports changed with the seasons? Unlike the NFL which wants to you to live their season, go bonzo for two months leading up to the draft, go bonkers watching guys run around in optional minimcamps and then have you make pilgrammages to podunk trainign camps and drop big bucks there as well. I like the break. Cool your jets, Tom.

As for the Palestra, you have to be a historian to want to go to that place. It does however harken back to a time where the above paragraph didn't exist. Room for 10K fans, with bleachers that ran along the same contours as the court (square with little facing to help, and seats that were all bleachers. I think if you wanted a back for your seat, you had to bring it ala those chairs high school boosters bring to football games. Lots of smells from body odor, to popcorn, to athletic balm, to mold and mildew. If the Big FIve ever runs out of steam in Philly, the Palestra might be dead. Good thing its still Penn's home court. Ivy League schools all love crumbling, archaic facilities.

Bottom line for the Bills: it's summer and not much happening.

C'mon --- give the guy a break. I took it he was on vacation for a month and was approached coming out of Church for crissakes (pun itended!). The lack of valuable and relevant topics on this board lately would seem to support the fact that there aint' much happening with the old beloved Blue Boys right now so what's anyone to do???? So he wrote something to fill in his obvious blank. Remember when sports changed with the seasons? Unlike the NFL which wants to you to live their season, go bonzo for two months leading up to the draft, go bonkers watching guys run around in optional minimcamps and then have you make pilgrammages to podunk trainign camps and drop big bucks there as well. I like the break. Cool your jets, Tom.

As for the Palestra, you have to be a historian to want to go to that place. It does however harken back to a time where the above paragraph didn't exist. Room for 10K fans, with bleachers that ran along the same contours as the court (square with little facing to help, and seats that were all bleachers. I think if you wanted a back for your seat, you had to bring it ala those chairs high school boosters bring to football games. Lots of smells from body odor, to popcorn, to athletic balm, to mold and mildew. If the Big FIve ever runs out of steam in Philly, the Palestra might be dead. Good thing its still Penn's home court. Ivy League schools all love crumbling, archaic facilities.

Bottom line for the Bills: it's summer and not much happening.

Correct, just our bills coming due for season tickets with ZERO information coming out of the Ath. Dept. about what we are spending our $$$ on. They must all be very tired from from the seat selection process.

As I've said before, local talk show host would welcome a conversation with CM re the current status of our MBB schedule or one of the coaches discussing the plans/hopes for the upcoming year.

Correct, just our bills coming due for season tickets with ZERO information coming out of the Ath. Dept. about what we are spending our $$$ on. They must all be very tired from from the seat selection process.

As I've said before, local talk show host would welcome a conversation with CM re the current status of our MBB schedule or one of the coaches discussing the plans/hopes for the upcoming year.

Damn! I knew I forgot something. When Chris called last week, I forgot to put in my bid for SID or marketing coordinator. My networking skills lack. ;)

Are you serious?

I realize the people on this board want "Billiken-talk" in August, but the VAST Majority of listeners (and hosts) don't care, and in a LOT of cases, turn Billiken talk OFF. Heck, how much Illini or Missouri basketball talk have you heard in the past month (aside from a mention about a player being cut by Bruce Weber.) We on this board are a SMALL group. What the hosts and program directors at the sports stations (and I include KMOX and KTRS in this) are doing is "playing the hits". the "Hits" this time of year are Baseball and some football talk. Heck, Cusumano doesn't even do in-depth billiken talk this time of year. you can generate more listeners and advertisers with Rams and Cardinals talk offseason than you can with Billikens talk during the height of basketball season

And no, a bigger budget for the SID won't help. When SLU releases a schedule, you will get a mention. When SLU begins practice, you will get a mention. First half of the season? Unless the opponent is recognizable, you won't get more than a mention. Neither will Mizzou, or Illinois.

Its all about the time of year, and aside from us two dozen or so who are paying attention to billikens.com right now, no one else cares. Thats the truth.

Are you serious?

I realize the people on this board want "Billiken-talk" in August, but the VAST Majority of listeners (and hosts) don't care, and in a LOT of cases, turn Billiken talk OFF. Heck, how much Illini or Missouri basketball talk have you heard in the past month (aside from a mention about a player being cut by Bruce Weber.) We on this board are a SMALL group. What the hosts and program directors at the sports stations (and I include KMOX and KTRS in this) are doing is "playing the hits". the "Hits" this time of year are Baseball and some football talk. Heck, Cusumano doesn't even do in-depth billiken talk this time of year. you can generate more listeners and advertisers with Rams and Cardinals talk offseason than you can with Billikens talk during the height of basketball season

And no, a bigger budget for the SID won't help. When SLU releases a schedule, you will get a mention. When SLU begins practice, you will get a mention. First half of the season? Unless the opponent is recognizable, you won't get more than a mention. Neither will Mizzou, or Illinois.

Its all about the time of year, and aside from us two dozen or so who are paying attention to billikens.com right now, no one else cares. Thats the truth.

Band. Please don't apply for any positions with SLU's Athletic Department. Your conservative and traditional thinking, while not entirely wrong, will undoubtedly appeal to many like-minded folks already in the department.

You are correct in one regard. Airing a traditional interview or segment about SLU basketball in these dog days of summer would be quite boring to even an avid fan like me. Such interviews and segments should be left this Fall.

At the same time, SLU needs to find ways to get on the air and before the sports crowd. Here's some ideas. 1. Chaveitz just had an open house and seat selection day. Some publicity was achieved but, in my opinion, not enough. The opening of Chaveitz could have had a really big media event. A few celebrities, promotional concert, "all star" game headlined by Larry Hughes and others with St. Louis connections - David Lee. 2. SLU has not capitalized on the hiring of RM. His first year, he could have and should have been THE story based upon his past achievements, the players he has coached, etc. Now, in his second year, just not the same. The window has closed and SLU missed a real opportunity. 3. RM still could be a quite entertaining guest now, during his second season, even during baseball season. Instead of asking RM about Reed, Thompson, Cotto, etc., or even TL and KL, he could be interviewed to talk about ESPN, college basketball, Billy Packer era ending, his former guys at Utah, NCAA title game pressures. 4. Why not interview RM each week during May and June about the NBA. As you would probably agree, the NBA playoffs received a fair amount of "talk" and airtime on the sports radio stations. Unlike most college coaches, RM is a huge, avid fan of the NBA. While on the air, a few comments may be thrown in promote SLU and give an update. With all of his connections, no doubt RM could help the radio stations get some really entertaining guests who are coaches, past coaches, broadcasters, team officials, etc. 5. RM could host a basketball camp during the summer (basebal season), bring in name players (past and/or present NBA, college greats) and then be interviewed promoting the upcoming camp as well as during the camp itself. 6. RM could simply receive media attention when he goes around the country giving speaches, meeting with top college coaches.

As you know, Spoon was/is a huge Cardinal fan, he attended numerous games and always interviewed during games. Creativity and effort is need to get your message out during the summer. Unfortunately, SLU has neither.

Are you serious?

Band - you speak the truth

what about the band cd someone mentioned?

Are you serious?

I have to agree with Clock. This line of thinking is what has put slu in the position it is in right now. Nobody cares? Maybe. But isn't that the like the whole concept of marketing? I've made the same point a few times over the last month, so I won't harp on it....but there is plenty of air time to go around. Finding a 15-20 minute spot on the official billiken basketball radio station would be a piece of cake. We don't need to spend $100K on marketing over the summer, but there are certainly things that SLU could do to keep (or put) our basketball team in the minds of the citizens of St. Louis.

And to think that people turn the radio off when actual sports come on is ludicrous. I'm sure the sports stations are pretty similiar in STL and Nashville...there is a whole lot of crap on the airwaves that would make people change the channel a hell of a lot more than a real interview with an AD or HOF coach.

it is my understanding that frankie c's morning show is the top rated radio show. yet he gets away with the likes of john sloan on his "panel" show on thursdays? band, you couldnt see rickma on that show commenting on everything sports? i could. and he would be marvelous.

it doesnt have to be all about the billikens. sure it will naturally be discussed, but just being visible/heard occasionally would go far.

as to bringing up the fact we havent heard from anderson or webber either, again, i couldnt care less about them and their overated programs. i care about the billikens and the fact that we continuously miss opportunities to take advantages.

clock is right on the mark on this subject imo.

Ahh, irony. Here we are on an Internet chat board, and everyone's focused on traditional media.

Sure, it would be great to have sports-talk peppered with Bills references, but that's not realistic in August. What is eminently achievable, however, is a SLU-produced e-mail newsletter or blog or daily website update or podcast or all of the above that would toss out information for those of us who care. Start with your core, make them fanatics and build on that. Don't do it at the expense of old media, but try to jump into at least the 1990s sometime soon. (A bad example of implementation: Cheryl's insipid monthly "messages from the athletic director.")

In fairness, August isn't a valid timeframe to judge if they're doing any of this stuff. Come September, however -- when the student body is on campus -- the buzz is there to be made, with the proper leadership.

it is my understanding that frankie c's morning show is the top rated radio show. yet he gets away with the likes of john sloan on his "panel" show on thursdays? band, you couldnt see rickma on that show commenting on everything sports? i could. and he would be marvelous.

it doesnt have to be all about the billikens. sure it will naturally be discussed, but just being visible/heard occasionally would go far.

as to bringing up the fact we havent heard from anderson or webber either, again, i couldnt care less about them and their overated programs. i care about the billikens and the fact that we continuously miss opportunities to take advantages.

Honestly, I couldn't see him doing that during the summer. Getting him to do his weekly call-in during the season was like pulling teeth to get him on. He's not as "media friendly" as you would like him to be. He's got a different focus, and right now its building through players and dicipline, not doing weekly radio hits on low rated stations during the summer when all he can really say is that the guys are working hard. I DO think is its fair to compare the three programs that are of the most interest in the St Louis area, especially since the other two are at larger schools with bigger budgets.

Heres a suggestion, send an email to Bernie Miklasz, Tim McKernan and Cusumano...find out what they think about the situation. I for one don't think any of them will try to get Majerus on.

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

band, you seem to be missing our point. we dont expect the shows to necessarily come running, imo, the problem is we do nothing to help ourselves. no doubt rickma picks and chooses his times to be "charming" and entertaining. so i understand your point about rickma and visits to the dentist for him. but part of his job should be to put on his charming and entertaining cloak. and if he told frank he wanted to be on that thursday panel and discuss all sports, i would find it hard to believe that frank would say, "no thanks, i'd rather have jon sloan."

and in that example, why would budget sizes matter? slu has this supposed media monster, who thus far in st louis has been entertaining about 6 days out of 365. he needs to step up in the offseason and wear the other hats. i could see him playing the "i have more important things to do than discuss the cardinal closers" in december, but not one day every other week or so in july or august. come on.

band, you seem to be missing our point. we dont expect the shows to necessarily come running, imo, the problem is we do nothing to help ourselves. no doubt rickma picks and chooses his times to be "charming" and entertaining. so i understand your point about rickma and visits to the dentist for him. but part of his job should be to put on his charming and entertaining cloak. and if he told frank he wanted to be on that thursday panel and discuss all sports, i would find it hard to believe that frank would say, "no thanks, i'd rather have jon sloan."

and in that example, why would budget sizes matter? slu has this supposed media monster, who thus far in st louis has been entertaining about 6 days out of 365. he needs to step up in the offseason and wear the other hats. i could see him playing the "i have more important things to do than discuss the cardinal closers" in december, but not one day every other week or so in july or august. come on.

Maybe he could write a donut review sauce magazine.

RM doesn't seem interested in any of this. If he did appear on Frankie's show, I'm sure RM could relay his political views. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I couldn't see him doing that during the summer. Getting him to do his weekly call-in during the season was like pulling teeth to get him on. He's not as "media friendly" as you would like him to be. He's got a different focus, and right now its building through players and dicipline, not doing weekly radio hits on low rated stations during the summer when all he can really say is that the guys are working hard. I DO think is its fair to compare the three programs that are of the most interest in the St Louis area, especially since the other two are at larger schools with bigger budgets.

Heres a suggestion, send an email to Bernie Miklasz, Tim McKernan and Cusumano...find out what they think about the situation. I for one don't think any of them will try to get Majerus on.

[email protected]

[email protected]

[email protected]

Band. You're right. RM and his non-willingness to do much with the local media has been real disappointing. Unlike a few posts, I am not limiting my comments just to this month of August. In contrast, a up-and-coming type of guy like Brad seemed to really enjoy getting on the airwaves as much as possible. From the perspective of a radio station, putting a guy like Brad on the air any time other than during the basketball season and/or just prior to it probably would be a money loser. I would add Weber and Anderson to this list because, while they may or may not be good head coaches, they are simply not entertaining to the general sports fan. RM, though, is different. RM could really be entertaining and talk about the NBA, bring guys like Doc Rivers on the air as a guest as well as college ball in general with his numerous contacts at ESPN and throughout college basketball. Radio appearances for college during the NCAA tournament (March and April) and NBA appearances during May and June would seem to be good. It was a shame that he was not interviewed about Billy Packer, etc. here recently.

I can understand RM not wanting to spend an entire evening going to Tip-Off Club meeting to talk to only a handful of us dedicated boosters. I can understand him not wanting to go to eat chicken lunches and dinners for the benefit of other boosters. RM is old, has been doing this a long time and now wants to things his way only. If not, he would not have returned to coaching and certainly not to SLU. Radio and TV appearances, though, seem less intrusive in that they would only last a few minutes and he could call from his home and/or cell phone. If the answer then is that RM still won't call a radio station from his home for 15 minutes to talk about the NBA, SLU basketball or anything else, then I suggest that someone else at SLU needs to step-up and get on the air. If Weber and Anderson are not entertaining enough as I mentioned, then I acknowledge that our assistant coaches are even less entertaining. Therefore, SLU will need to be even more creative. Certainly, at a minium, Chris May could have been on the airwaves bragging about the new Chaveitz. KFNS is not charging Superbowl commercial rates for airtime. I would think $5,000 from SLU would create all kinds of airtime at KFNS - the "Home of the Billikens."

Open question to Father Biondi: Knowing that your big-name, high-profile head coach refuses to be on the air and attend events, and instead, prefers to keep a low-profile, why hire an Athletic Director who also likes a low-profile and who does his best work behind the scenes? Sure hope SLU hits a homerun on the SID and other positions.

Also, where's the committment to basketball from SLU? Yes, we hired the coach ($1 million and not $3 million to $5 million like KY, FL and the others), we paid going rate for the first time for assistant coaches, we finally have a strength and conditioning coach, and our facilites are finally up to speed. Why stop halfway? By comparison, have we bought too much house and now cannot affort to buy furniture?

-i had the chance to listen to a bit of frank this morning and kfns is running a promo about a "golden ticket" where you win season tix to cards, rams, blues, mizzou and illini - but no slu

-now i am not sure why or how slu was left off this list, but this one does bother me on the supposed "home of the billikens"

-and i did enjoy the several day vacation we had on the board, but alas it is gone