What I heard regarding Ruben

I recently spoke with someone in-the-know from Ruben's high school. Based upon this conversation, it is my understanding that Ruben has achieved the necessary ACT score. However, because he has attended three different high schools in two countries and three different locations, he still has to successfully complete summer school coursework to be cleared by the NCAA. Supposedly, the Alton administration has been working with the SLU administration to help ensure he meets the requirements. I was also told that he is a great kid who works real hard and should do better and better in school as his English improves.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently spoke with someone in-the-know from Ruben's high school. Based upon this conversation, it is my understanding that Ruben has achieved the necessary ACT score. However, because he has attended three different high schools in two countries and three different locations, he still has to successfully complete summer school coursework to be cleared by the NCAA. Supposedly, the Alton administration has been working with the SLU administration to help ensure he meets the requirements. I was also told that he is a great kid who works real hard and should do better and better in school as his English improves.

Well SOME of what you say is correct. The NCAA allows for one grade change equalling 1 full credit. He started taking "grade change classes" the Monday after graduation or 4 days before he took the ACT. This "grade change" class also was an insurance policy that if he fell just short of the ACT score that he needed then after completing the grade change coursework then it would change the overall ACT score needed. Ruben got the score he needed and continues to complete the course work to ensure that everything clears smoothly thru NCAA. He completes 1 class next week and the other 1/2 of the credit will be completed possibly 2-3 weeks after that. After that, it is expected that he will get NCAA clearance with no last minute surprises or questions.

Your post makes it sound as if he did not have the core class work completed and that is just not the case. The grade change is allowable under NCAA rules and serve as an "insurance policy" to that there will be no last minute miscalculations, red tape or questions in regards to his eligibility.

Well SOME of what you say is correct. The NCAA allows for one grade change equalling 1 full credit. He started taking "grade change classes" the Monday after graduation or 4 days before he took the ACT. This "grade change" class also was an insurance policy that if he fell just short of the ACT score that he needed then after completing the grade change coursework then it would change the overall ACT score needed. Ruben got the score he needed and continues to complete the course work to ensure that everything clears smoothly thru NCAA. He completes 1 class next week and the other 1/2 of the credit will be completed possibly 2-3 weeks after that. After that, it is expected that he will get NCAA clearance with no last minute surprises or questions.

Your post makes it sound as if he did not have the core class work completed and that is just not the case. The grade change is allowable under NCAA rules and serve as an "insurance policy" to that there will be no last minute miscalculations, red tape or questions in regards to his eligibility.

I was simply told that he was taking summer school classes to ensure his eligibility due to his complex transcript situation. Thank you for clarifying the details.

thanks for the updates guys. and why the name "duck on a rock"?

Dr. James Naismith is known world-wide as the inventor of basketball. He was born in 1861 in Ramsay township, near Almonte, Ontario, Canada. The concept of basketball was born from Naismith's school days in the area where he played a simple child's game known as duck-on-a-rock outside his one-room schoolhouse. The game involved attempting to knock a "duck" off the top of a large rock by tossing another rock at it. Naismith went on to attend McGill University in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

http://www.kansasheritage.org/people/naismith.html

The more information that comes out, the more Andy Strickland comes across as an ignorant SOB who is willing to spread unverified misinformation in a shameless effort to raise his own meaningless profile.

The more information that comes out, the more Andy Strickland comes across as an ignorant SOB who is willing to spread unverified misinformation in a shameless effort to raise his own meaningless profile.

Amen. He is one obnoxious individual that tries to scoop a story without verifying the credibility of the source. I really don't understand how Bernie and Randy take what he says at face value w/o questioning his source. He comes off OK with hockey reports for the most part, but with regard to reporting other STL sports, he pretty much shoots from the hip.

Amen. He is one obnoxious individual that to scoop a story without verifying the credibility of the source. I really don't understand how Bernie and Randy take what he says at face value w/o questioning his source. He comes off OK with hockey reports for the most part, but with regard to reporting other STL sports, he pretty much shoots from the hip.

The Blues want all the attention they can get and willingly give out info. AS begs the Blues for info and they oblige. SLU, on the other hand, does not. AS has no real sources so he gets frustrated when SLU doesn't hand him the scoup.

I am not going to defend Andy Strikland because I am by no means a fan of his, but what did he say that was acutally wrong? Is Ruben qualified today or better yet when Andy Strickland made the statement? I would assume that his SLU "source" told him that Ruben had yet to qualify and he went with the story. It would have been wise for him to look into it a little further as far as if Ruben was waiting on a test score and things of that nature, but his statements on its face was accurate. The other thing is that I was listening to the program the next day and Bernie and Randy were joking with Andy about how SLU fans are raising hell and the two of them did not even know Cotto's name so I fail to see how a story like this would raise Strickland's profile. Honestly very few sports fans in St. Louis care about whether or not Ruben Cotto qualifies and you could probably extend that to anything related to Saint Louis University.

I am not going to defend Andy Strikland because I am by no means a fan of his, but what did he say that was acutally wrong? Is Ruben qualified today or better yet when Andy Strickland made the statement? I would assume that his SLU "source" told him that Ruben had yet to qualify and he went with the story. It would have been wise for him to look into it a little further as far as if Ruben was waiting on a test score and things of that nature, but his statements on its face was accurate. The other thing is that I was listening to the program the next day and Bernie and Randy were joking with Andy about how SLU fans are raising hell and the two of them did not even know Cotto's name so I fail to see how a story like this would raise Strickland's profile. Honestly very few sports fans in St. Louis care about whether or not Ruben Cotto qualifies and you could probably extend that to anything related to Saint Louis University.

andy would be "accurate" if/when cotto enrolled at swic and slu officially slammed the door behind him. i dont listen to strickland but it is my understanding he guaranteed cotto and reed would never suit up at slu. if he actually said something to the effect "cotto and reed have yet to officially academically qualify for slu. stay tuned." i would have nothing to complain about.

For the record, I did not hear the interview in question, but I have spoken to two people who did. Dropping Cotto's name is not what raises AS profile; it is the impression that AS is "in the know" on all information relating to St. Louis sports that does. (Although it is surprising and disappointing that BM and RK didn't know the name of the best player on the east side of the river this past season, particularly when both editorialize on the local basketball scene from time to time.) Without having a copy of the extact statements AS made, it is possible that he was technically correct; however, in the broadcasting and advertising world the only thing that matters is net impression. In this circumstance, the net impression he gave was that a high school kid wouldn't make the grades and scores to qualify. He used unsubstantiated misinformation to perpetuate his desire to be the sports know-it-all in St. Louis.

andy would be "accurate" if/when cotto enrolled at swic and slu officially slammed the door behind him. i dont listen to strickland but it is my understanding he guaranteed cotto and reed would never suit up at slu. if he actually said something to the effect "cotto and reed have yet to officially academically qualify for slu. stay tuned." i would have nothing to complain about.

I did not hear the initial report, so if he actually said that he guaranteed that Cotto and Reed would never suit up for SLU I regret defending him.

For the record, I did not hear the interview in question, but I have spoken to two people who did. Dropping Cotto's name is not what raises AS profile; it is the impression that AS is "in the know" on all information relating to St. Louis sports that does. (Although it is surprising and disappointing that BM and RK didn't know the name of the best player on the east side of the river this past season, particularly when both editorialize on the local basketball scene from time to time.) Without having a copy of the extact statements AS made, it is possible that he was technically correct; however, in the broadcasting and advertising world the only thing that matters is net impression. In this circumstance, the net impression he gave was that a high school kid wouldn't make the grades and scores to qualify. He used unsubstantiated misinformation to perpetuate his desire to be the sports know-it-all in St. Louis.

Nark. I also did not hear the comments but let's add a few more facts and details.

First, Reuben committed to SLU, then took the test, then received his scores and then apparently found out that he did not pass the test.. Duck/Rock indicates that there was a Plan B - take summer school and then maybe a "lower" or "failing" score might be enough to still qualify. This initial failure to qualify/pass the test, though, was well known and discussed not only on this Board but in the media.

Second, I find it a little hard to believe that Bernie and Randy feigned ingorance of Cotto. In one sense, I am not surprised that Randy may have tried to act ignorant b/c he hates SLU and wants to give the impression that SLU and their recruits is beneath him - so I guess no surprise there. As to Bernie, he has to know that 2 of RM's (his new best friend) 7 new recruits have not yet qualified. Does Bernie spend the time each day to become familiar with Cotto and the other 6 - of course not. Still, Bernie should have know who he was, admit that he is not following the details and then let the young Woodward-Bernstein (Strickland) bring him and the listeners up to speed.

Third, AS was on the air 2 weeks ago for the purpose of updating everyone as to the latest on Cotto following both Cotto's retaking of the test and the sending out of the test results. AS could have said - Cotto took the test again but he/we don't know the results yet, or that nothing is official but stay tuned. Instead, he said he had a source which told him that Cotto did not qualify and likely will go JUCO. The timing of this info on the radio clearly gives the impression that AS has inside info that Cotto again failed. From what we understand, Cotto passed and AS should be held accountable.

The timing of this info on the radio clearly gives the impression that AS has inside info that Cotto again failed. From what we understand, Cotto passed and AS should be held accountable.

the day that cotto is officially a slu student and on the basketball team there should be a concerted effort to remind 1380 of strickland's slander and demand his apology to cotto and his dismissal from 1380.

the day that cotto is officially a slu student and on the basketball team there should be a concerted effort to remind 1380 of strickland's slander and demand his apology to cotto and his dismissal from 1380.

That is the hard as hell consequences for your actions Roy that I am familar with.

1380 general manager is John Helmkamp.

the phone number is 314-436-3283.

Mr Helmkamp's e-mail addy is: [email protected]

If a reporter got fired everytime they gave out wrong information there would be no media. Calling for him to be fired is a little over the top Roy. He said he trusted his source and as of now Ruben still hasnt been cleared by the NCAA. I think its a mistake what AS did but saying he should be fired is too much.

If a reporter got fired everytime they gave out wrong information there would be no media. Calling for him to be fired is a little over the top Roy. He said he trusted his source and as of now Ruben still hasnt been cleared by the NCAA. I think its a mistake what AS did but saying he should be fired is too much.

we can agree to disagree. like i said, if strickland ends up being wrong, he should be fired. how will journalistic integrity ever happen if all reporters/sports analysts/columnists can just say what they want without checking sources and being sure? that should be their jobs. if gossiping is all news and reporting has become, hell we can all do that.

he shouldnt be allowed to have both the glory of such a breaking story and the break of no consequences if wrong. especially considering he really wronged a young high school student if wrong.

we can agree to disagree. like i said, if strickland ends up being wrong, he should be fired. how will journalistic integrity ever happen if all reporters/sports analysts/columnists can just say what they want without checking sources and being sure?

He said he checked his sources. I really dont think AS was trying to smear Ruben or SLU's basketball program, he just reported info that he got from a trusted source. You act like he was lying on purpose in order to hurt someones reputation. Should he of waited or actually talked to Ruben, of course but should he be fired for relaying information that he got from a trusted source- I dont think so. I agree to disagree also.

we can agree to disagree. like i said, if strickland ends up being wrong, he should be fired. how will journalistic integrity ever happen if all reporters/sports analysts/columnists can just say what they want without checking sources and being sure? that should be their jobs. if gossiping is all news and reporting has become, hell we can all do that.

he shouldnt be allowed to have both the glory of such a breaking story and the break of no consequences if wrong. especially considering he really wronged a young high school student if wrong.

Is this the same Roy from the Dr. Meyer thread?

Is this the same Roy that wanted the Hill brothers declared ineligble for being being taken advantage of as high school students?

Don't get me wrong, Strickland is awful. That is why he should be fired.

I agree that Stickland is awful on the radio but I do enjoy his blues updates on hockeybuzz.

I heard him on Kilcoyne's show last week - absolutely brutal. He has neither the voice nor the personality for radio. It was kind of like listening to Kermit the Frog, but Kermit is actually pretty cool.

I heard him on Kilcoyne's show last week - absolutely brutal. He has neither the voice nor the personality for radio. It was kind of like listening to Kermit the Frog, but Kermit is actually pretty cool.

But that's exactly Andy's problem: It's not easy being green.

He has been on TMA the last two days. It really has ruined the show.