What I heard regarding Ruben

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But that's exactly Andy's problem: It's not easy being green.

I just want to hear him read my favorite line from Muppets Take Manhattan (and yes, I have a favorite line from Muppets Take Manhattan): "Ocean Breeze Soap: It's just like taking an ocean cruise except that there's no boat, and you don't actually go anywhere."

Is this the same Roy from the Dr. Meyer thread?

Is this the same Roy that wanted the Hill brothers declared ineligble for being being taken advantage of as high school students?

Don't get me wrong, Strickland is awful. That is why he should be fired.

i didnt take a stand on avis. i just said i know him from my school days and know him to be a very good teacher and person and find it hard to believe he was trying to get a financial advantage of any sort from the university news fiasco.

but i dont know enough to say other than that. i will stand up for his integrity and character because i know that from personal experience. but the actual scenario itself is beyond me.

as to the hill brothers, consequences for putting their faith in the hands of a con man and known crook.

stickland, he f'd with my third passion. billlikens.

i didnt take a stand on avis. i just said i know him from my school days and know him to be a very good teacher and person and find it hard to believe he was trying to get a financial advantage of any sort from the university news fiasco.

but i dont know enough to say other than that. i will stand up for his integrity and character because i know that from personal experience. but the actual scenario itself is beyond me.

as to the hill brothers, consequences for putting their faith in the hands of a con man and known crook.

stickland, he f'd with my third passion. billlikens.

I understand your feelings for Avis. Believe it or not, I feel for him and think it is a screwed up situation all around. He must be a great educator from everything I hear about him.

The Hill brothers were screwed for listening to their dad, not Floyd. I really can't understand people wanting to see the hammer fall on them.

If a reporter got fired everytime they gave out wrong information there would be no media. Calling for him to be fired is a little over the top Roy. He said he trusted his source and as of now Ruben still hasnt been cleared by the NCAA. I think its a mistake what AS did but saying he should be fired is too much.

They reported that "Cotto did NOT qualify and would probably be headed to JUCO" and I agree absolutely he has not been cleared through NCAA, but again it reported by them the day the ACT test scores were released TO THE STUDENT---NOT to the school they they went on air reporting this crap. There is no way they would have this information (ACT scores) or even should have this information. Again the facts are, he has his core classes, he has graduated, he has the ACT score he needed and hes retaking a core class credit for a grade change, per NCAA rules just as a safeguard against errors.

This is why he is not on campus with the other Frosh boys because he is busy taking other classes to insure everything clears smoothly and there are NO questions about qualifying because the numbers are sooo close. It is better to be precautious then to send send in his stuff and find out oh guess what you missed qualifying by 1/100 of a point.

They reported that "Cotto did NOT qualify and would probably be headed to JUCO" and I agree absolutely he has not been cleared through NCAA, but again it reported by them the day the ACT test scores were released TO THE STUDENT---NOT to the school they they went on air reporting this crap. There is no way they would have this information (ACT scores) or even should have this information. Again the facts are, he has his core classes, he has graduated, he has the ACT score he needed and hes retaking a core class credit for a grade change, per NCAA rules just as a safeguard against errors.

This is why he is not on campus with the other Frosh boys because he is busy taking other classes to insure everything clears smoothly and there are NO questions about qualifying because the numbers are sooo close. It is better to be precautious then to send send in his stuff and find out oh guess what you missed qualifying by 1/100 of a point.

Redbird. You obviously know Reuben and have 1st hand info. I, and I 'm sure others on this Board, appreciate that. Do you agree with Duck on the Rock? Probably needs this class because of the 3 schools in 2 years thing as opposed to the test score? The grade change class is being done at his high school in Alton, IL??

I totally agree with you. Im not doubting you whether or not Ruben has qualified, im saying that firing a guy for relaying information that he got from a trusted source is a bit over the top. I doubt AS knew that the ACT scores were released to the students that day. Im just playing devils advocate here, what AS did was wrong but he shouldnt be fired. Emailing the program director of the station calling for his head is a waste of time and energy,

we can agree to disagree. like i said, if strickland ends up being wrong, he should be fired. how will journalistic integrity ever happen if all reporters/sports analysts/columnists can just say what they want without checking sources and being sure? that should be their jobs. if gossiping is all news and reporting has become, hell we can all do that.

he shouldnt be allowed to have both the glory of such a breaking story and the break of no consequences if wrong. especially considering he really wronged a young high school student if wrong.

At a minimum, Andy Strickland should make a public apology. This is a 17/18 kid/student as opposed to a professional sports player. Much different standard - even if Blues hockey players are only a few years older than Cotto. Professional v. Amateur.

I totally agree with you. Im not doubting you whether or not Ruben has qualified, im saying that firing a guy for relaying information that he got from a trusted source is a bit over the top. I doubt AS knew that the ACT scores were released to the students that day. Im just playing devils advocate here, what AS did was wrong but he shouldnt be fired. Emailing the program director of the station calling for his head is a waste of time and energy,

here is when it would have been acceptable for strickland to report what he did:

1. slu officially decides that cotto and reed didnt qualify and have been denied admission.

2. reed and cotto enroll at swic and three rivers.

only after those two things have happened should strickland have reported what he did.

if he is basing it on having a drink with an assistant coach and having an off the record discussion or maybe a contact in compliance at slu, or another player or someone else close to the team, shame on him. go find a job andy. i suggest something in the building trades field.

i disagree completely with "a waste of time and energy". i have long believed a well placed and sincere contact that is all but emotional (take it right to the line) is extremely effective. especially if the receiver receives multiple contacts.

i disagree completely with "a waste of time and energy". i have long believed a well placed and sincere contact that is all but emotional (take it right to the line) is extremely effective. especially if the receiver receives multiple contacts.

I agree but something as little as this? All AS said was that Cotto hasnt qualified and may have to seek a JUCO, which at the time was true considering at the time the only person who could legally know was Ruben. I guess you didnt hear the tidbit.

Oh well, we all know Ruben will be in a Bills jersey next year draining threes against SIUC and the A10.

I agree but something as little as this? All AS said was that Cotto hasnt qualified and may have to seek a JUCO, which at the time was true considering at the time the only person who could legally know was Ruben. I guess you didnt hear the tidbit.

All he said THIS TIME was to report - inaccurately - as to the test score and going JUCO. Double slander of an unsuspecting 17/18 year old kid is not enough to even complain about?? Believe you're wrong. Also believe that Mr. Helmkampf may want to know the other negative comments about his whining and complaining about RM and SLU. A pattern of conduct that now may be leading to false reporting.

I believe that the media has a duty to verify and investigate information before publishing it. Even if Strickland had a source, if he source was indirect and he didn't verify the information with a direct source, he could be exposing both himself and the radio station to defamation claims. I am not suggesting that anyone is likely to bring a claim in this circumstance, but this kind of loose reporting is a liability for the radio station.

I believe that the media has a duty to verify and investigate information before publishing it. Even if Strickland had a source, if he source was indirect and he didn't verify the information with a direct source, he could be exposing both himself and the radio station to defamation claims. I am not suggesting that anyone is likely to bring a claim in this circumstance, but this kind of loose reporting is a liability for the radio station.

Call for his firing I dont care, as I said before hes terrible on the radio. I just thought you guys were going a bit overboard on this.

That's a message that is likely to perk up ears and eyes. well said.

All he said THIS TIME was to report - inaccurately - as to the test score and going JUCO. Double slander of an unsuspecting 17/18 year old kid is not enough to even complain about?? Believe you're wrong. Also believe that Mr. Helmkampf may want to know the other negative comments about his whining and complaining about RM and SLU. A pattern of conduct that now may be leading to false reporting.

dont forget to tell helmkamp about strickland announcing the player cuts prior to the end of the season and likely prior to rickma being able to tell the players and family.

dont forget to tell helmkamp about strickland announcing the player cuts prior to the end of the season and likely prior to rickma being able to tell the players and family.

Just so you know Roy, I sent an email.

Ethically it may be questionable; legally it is not an issue b/c something cannot be defamatory if it is true.

Ethically it may be questionable; legally it is not an issue b/c something cannot be defamatory if it is true.

agree, but my gosh show some compassion and common sense. that is the kind of thing that could blow up a team. couldnt have been worse timing.

update, i sent a very detailed complaint e-mail to mr Helmkamp yesterday focusing on both the premature announcement of the rickma four player cuts and more recently the guarantee that willie reed and ruben cotto will never be slu student athletes.

i received a very short and terse reply this morning from a Matt Stelo basically stating the station backs stickland completely and believes in his sources.

i have stored my e-mail away with plans to revisit at the end of august. should they both be full time enrolled saint louis university students at that time i will revisit with mr stelo and mr helmkamp then.

i still think all should send a note to helmkamp now as well. put them on notice.

update, i sent a very detailed complaint e-mail to mr Helmkamp yesterday focusing on both the premature announcement of the rickma four player cuts and more recently the guarantee that willie reed and ruben cotto will never be slu student athletes.

i received a very short and terse reply this morning from a Matt Stelo basically stating the station backs stickland completely and believes in his sources.

i have stored my e-mail away with plans to revisit at the end of august. should they both be full time enrolled saint louis university students at that time i will revisit with mr stelo and mr helmkamp then.

i still think all should send a note to helmkamp now as well. put them on notice.

Did Matt Stelo at least acknowledge that Strickland is an imbecile?

I'm guessing he already knows. I'm also guessing he's thrilled that he has solid confirmation that two people are actually listening to the station......

Another quality post from Richie. Way to add something worthwhile to the discussion.

I think this was well know by all parties involved especially the players and their famlies. You're grasping at straws here.