What I heard

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone close to the program told me that Eshaunte Jones, one of the top unsigned recruits in the class of 2008, was in town checking out the program over the weekend.

I think he was at the Elite Camp. The kid can score, it will be interesting if that is the case. Almost like Majerus is lining up his next group of kids that he might suggest get their education elsewhere.

I think he was at the Elite Camp. The kid can score, it will be interesting if that is the case. Almost like Majerus is lining up his next group of kids that he might suggest get their education elsewhere.

Why would he do that? He still has two open scholarships. With 13 scholarships somebody is going to be sitting on the bench. Fill them all and let their play determine who gets the minutes.

I honestly don't know what this post means. Care to elaborate?

I honestly don't know what this post means. Care to elaborate?

Yeah, I was thrown for a loop on that as well, Shoe. Even if RC and WR qualify, which I hope they do, we're still two scholies to the good. Anyways, any links to this kid. Is he from Oregon?

Yeah, I was thrown for a loop on that as well, Shoe. Even if RC and WR qualify, which I hope they do, we're still two scholies to the good. Anyways, any links to this kid. Is he from Oregon?

I did a cursory glance. He played for Hargrave, had some major suitors; UCLA, Mizzery, Georgetown, a lot of other BCS'ers (big names). He would seem to be a Godsend at this late date. Maybe TL, fellow Hargrave alum, can convince him SLU is the place. Get him....please.

Indiana, via VA prep. Originally committed to Indiana.

If he's a top 50 player, and was a top recruit - what gives? Why is he still available, and why didn't Oregon St. want to keep him (or did he not want to stay). Grade risk, attitude, or just bad luck with the coaching change? If it's the latter, I hope he commits and has the goods!

Indiana, via VA prep. Originally committed to Indiana.

If he's a top 50 player, and was a top recruit - what gives? Why is he still available, and why didn't Oregon St. want to keep him (or did he not want to stay). Grade risk, attitude, or just bad luck with the coaching change? If it's the latter, I hope he commits and has the goods!

He was either a top 50 or top 100, I dont remember. But with the schools that offered him, he was highly ranked

the kid has his own wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eshaunte_Jones. Impressive resume.

Seems to have more commitment issues than Larry King. Verbaled to Indiana, backed out of that, signed with Oregon State, backed out of that. Scout reported he was eying Mizzou, perhaps he visited Mizzou and swung by SLU over the weekend?

Prep Stars had him ranked 113th.

I did a cursory glance. He played for Hargrave, had some major suitors; UCLA, Mizzery, Georgetown, a lot of other BCS'ers (big names). He would seem to be a Godsend at this late date. Maybe TL, fellow Hargrave alum, can convince him SLU is the place. Get him....please.

Why was he at Hargrave?

Guest BillikenReport

Why was he at Hargrave?

Academics.

Same reason he is still available at this time.

Scout.com's Dave Telep wrote a story on him and I just put it on my site. I would link to it, but it's a premium story.

- Nate

Academics.

Same reason he is still available at this time.

Scout.com's Dave Telep wrote a story on him and I just put it on my site. I would link to it, but it's a premium story.

- Nate

All we need is another academic question mark. I'm all for taking risks on kids when it comes to academics. A lot of kids just don't have the family background to keep them in gear in high school. Majerus will take care of that. However, we need sure things. We already have 2 kids that may not suit up because they can't qualify. The staff needs to spend it's time recruiting a kid that they know will be eligible right away.

the kid has his own wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eshaunte_Jones. Impressive resume.

Seems to have more commitment issues than Larry King. Verbaled to Indiana, backed out of that, signed with Oregon State, backed out of that. Scout reported he was eying Mizzou, perhaps he visited Mizzou and swung by SLU over the weekend?

Prep Stars had him ranked 113th.

He did not visit Mizzou

All we need is another academic question mark. I'm all for taking risks on kids when it comes to academics. A lot of kids just don't have the family background to keep them in gear in high school. Majerus will take care of that. However, we need sure things. We already have 2 kids that may not suit up because they can't qualify. The staff needs to spend it's time recruiting a kid that they know will be eligible right away.

Any kid that is already qualified and can dribble a basketball is signed at this point. If you want a kid for next year that has any chance to be a contributor he is going to be a question mark either academically or injury wise. I have absolutely no problem taking another academic risk kid. The worst case is he doesn't show and you are back to where we currently are.

Every kid still on the board at this time has some kind of issue. I would take a shot with this kid if he is intrested in us.

Every kid still on the board at this time has some kind of issue. I would take a shot with this kid if he is intrested in us.

You guys don't think there are any kids that are qualified? I find that hard to believe. I'm sure that a number of the kids left have some kind of question mark, but I'm sure there are guys in good academic standing. I'd be more willing to take a flyer on a guy recovering from an injury than somebody who isn't gonna qualify. I'm sure you both (brian and kshoe) read the article on scout. It sounds pretty bleak academically. I think we really need help...and this guy can give it to us. I'm just not sold that it's worth investing much time as the chances he ever shows up on campus are slim to none.

Guest BillikenReport

There were other unsigned '08 kids at Saturday's camp, but Jones was the biggest name. There were two others, including Donnie Dobbs' nephew, who could help fill out the class a little bit, but I'm not sure how much they would contribute.

- Nate