Goose eggs for UB

slu72

For the life of me --- I can't see him getting any of these jobs whatsoever. But that's just me.

I can possibly see him landing in a lower conference, say like the Patriot league. I didn't understand the Oregon State interest? But if he doesn't land somewhere soon, he may have to think about a career change. When you look at his record, it's not too bad. So you have to wonder if the word's out that he's a lousy recruiter, which as we all know is at least 75% of being a successful HC. Seeing RM release 4 of his recruits ain't gonna' help his reputation any.

I can possibly see him landing in a lower conference, say like the Patriot league. I didn't understand the Oregon State interest? But if he doesn't land somewhere soon, he may have to think about a career change. When you look at his record, it's not too bad. So you have to wonder if the word's out that he's a lousy recruiter, which as we all know is at least 75% of being a successful HC. Seeing RM release 4 of his recruits ain't gonna' help his reputation any.

Kramer also going to have to decide soon.

yslu72, you seem to be taking great joy in soderberg's job woes. why dont we just leave the man alone. he is gone. let it go.

Kramer also going to have to decide soon.

From reports in the paper, Kramer and his dad are not a package deal. Kramer will have more options than just where Brad ends up. It is somewhat discerning that he is struggling to land a job as an assistant or HC. I wish him luck since being out of work is no picnic for anybody.

I wish Brad luck in his job search. I remember UB stating in an interview after getting the SLU job that he had been offered the job at West Pointe. In retrospect, that may have been the perfect place for Brad. His forte is doing more with less. His Achilles heal is recruiting.

I wish Brad luck in his job search. I remember UB stating in an interview after getting the SLU job that he had been offered the job at West Pointe. In retrospect, that may have been the perfect place for Brad. His forte is doing more with less. His Achilles heal is recruiting.

I am not taking joy in his difficult job search. I feel bad for anyone not able to find work. But maybe, just maybe, he's not cut out for this occupation at this level. Besides, you can't feel too sorry for a guy who got a $300k buy out.

I am not taking joy in his difficult job search. I feel bad for anyone not able to find work. But maybe, just maybe, he's not cut out for this occupation at this level. Besides, you can't feel too sorry for a guy who got a $300k buy out.

I agree with 72. As a man, one could not ask for more than Brad brings to the table. He is honest, hard-working, trustworthy and almost every other psotive attribute you could ask for. However, he was at least one level over his abilities as head coach at SLU. He would be a great hire at a SEMO, or maybe even UMSL where he could focus most of his time coaching the kids on the fundamentals, and less time recruiting which is clearly his biggest weakness.

Completely agree, Roy. '72 seems to have become the new leader of the "I have nothing better to say, so let's throw a zinger at Brad" club.

Oh, c'mon, 'ville. I've said I hope the guy lands on his feet. But while we're throwing darts here, how about Broy's constant digging at RM? Broy's the most ardent Bills fan I know. Yet, we get a great HC with a great resume who has recruited more talent in 12 months than UB did in five years, and all Broy does is slam the guy at every turn. And as someone posted above, all last year when the anti-Ub'ers were slamming him, we were called not true fans by B'roy and others. God forbid should you cast a stone or two at his beloved UB, who is the guy who really deserves the blame for the release of those 4 players, ie never belonged here in the first place. I guess B'roy would be content to have kept them here and enjoyed RM's frustration struggling to find a way to win with them. We were all asked last year to be patient with UB and support stability, read mediocrity. Is Broy giving RM the same consideration? No, I don't think he's asking for RM's head, like admittedly alot of us were asking for UB's after five years of nothing basketball, but neither do I think he likes him, wants him as SLU's coach, or supports him in any way. He's been RM's biggest critic, and these crocodile tears over the 4 releasees is just more of the same old same old stuff we've been hearing from him since October. Find something to knock RM on and keep whining about it. But he's entitled to his opinion about RM, just like I am about UB. Evidently, my opinion has been shared by the four schools that have interviewed him. Since he's still unemployed.

Oh, c'mon, 'ville. I've said I hope the guy lands on his feet. But while we're throwing darts here, how about Broy's constant digging at RM? Broy's the most ardent Bills fan I know. Yet, we get a great HC with a great resume who has recruited more talent in 12 months than UB did in five years, and all Broy does is slam the guy at every turn. And as someone posted above, all last year when the anti-Ub'ers were slamming him, we were called not true fans by B'roy and others. God forbid should you cast a stone or two at his beloved UB, who is the guy who really deserves the blame for the release of those 4 players, ie never belonged here in the first place. I guess B'roy would be content to have kept them here and enjoyed RM's frustration struggling to find a way to win with them. We were all asked last year to be patient with UB and support stability, read mediocrity. Is Broy giving RM the same consideration? No, I don't think he's asking for RM's head, like admittedly alot of us were asking for UB's after five years of nothing basketball, but neither do I think he likes him, wants him as SLU's coach, or supports him in any way. He's been RM's biggest critic, and these crocodile tears over the 4 releasees is just more of the same old same old stuff we've been hearing from him since October. Find something to knock RM on and keep whining about it. But he's entitled to his opinion about RM, just like I am about UB. Evidently, my opinion has been shared by the four schools that have interviewed him. Since he's still unemployed.

Roy slams Majerus because he feels his guy, Brad, was not given a fair shake by the University. Roy feels that if Brad were given the resources that Majerus now has, he would be able to succeed at SLU. I find that belief to be hilarious, but to each his own I suppose.

I agree 72 that it is funny that we of the now defunct "ABC" were not considered to be "fans" last year becuase we questioned Brad, but Roy can bash RM to his hearts content and I am not about to consider him less of a Billiken fan for it.

Hey, I've disagreed with Roy on here about his blatant dislike for RM as well. And Roy has been called out by lots of people on the issue anyway. It's not like nobody is disagreeing with him. And I certainly don't understand why that means you need to keep telling us how bad you think Brad is. You have two posts in the last 5 topics alone telling us that you think Brad shouldn't even be coaching. Like the guy who cuts my lawn could just walk into SLU and coach the team to 20 wins. If that makes you feel better, I think you need to be spending more time on the golf course.

Looks like the only remaining non BCS D1 jobs that are currently open are:

Alcorn State

Loyola Marymount

Marist

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?p...coachingchanges

I wonder if Brad will be a candidate for any of those jobs.

I thought Bayno (the old UNLV coach) got the LMU job. Did he pull out?

Roy slams Majerus because he feels his guy, Brad, was not given a fair shake by the University. Roy feels that if Brad were given the resources that Majerus now has, he would be able to succeed at SLU. I find that belief to be hilarious, but to each his own I suppose.

I agree 72 that it is funny that we of the now defunct "ABC" were not considered to be "fans" last year becuase we questioned Brad, but Roy can bash RM to his hearts content and I am not about to consider him less of a Billiken fan for it.

I gotta tell you Drew, I'm starting to question Roy's fandom, or if nothing else his common sense. He continues to publicly question the truthfullness of our top recruits statements in order to protect a coach that was removed a year ago. If its true that recruits do read fan message boards its hard for me to fathom something that could hurt the immediate success of this program more than questioning the integrity of our top prospect. Hopefully JH and his supporters realize this is just a lunatic fringe of the Billiken fandom and that the vast majority of us really do want him to be at SLU.

nothing could be further from the truth. soderberg could be given north carolina and not win as much as rickma will win here. i know that. my defense of soderberg is simply there is no reason to harp on the past. he's gone. i believe he could have won to a degree and created a decent program but not a top 15 program like i believe rickma can produce. and that lies a big part of my difference in criticism. my expectations are much much higher. rickma not only has the credentials he has been given the keys to the castle.

i think rickma has the past record that proves he will win and take us places no other billiken coaches ever did. i have said many times over the last year he is a master tactician.

that said, when i see a master tactician forcing square pegs in a round hole like he did in november/early december last year, well i expected more. so i said so. ironically he changes his game focus thereafter and ends up with a respectable season. surprise. so why shouldnt one question the motivation of what the hell was going on that first month?

if that had been soderberg, i wouldnt have expected as much. he didnt have the track record or the tools to build and win like rickma and definitely wouldnt compete x's and o's. so what would be the point of criticizing. was he coaching to HIS capacity? imo, yes. was rickma? imo, no.

besides that first month, my other two complaints of the rickma era were the public berating of the players. just uncalled for imo. and now the cutting of the four players and the rumored firing of thorpe. imo just not the right thing to do. even if you look at it from a basketball standpoint only and not the human side, you have to wonder if it wont be used against him recruiting? i guess he will be able to play the "stepchild" game on this group, but if the merry go round does continue as it did at utah, i know if i was an opposing coach, i would use it against him.

again, for those that are apparently keeping score, those are my three complaints, the early season mind boggling game approach which was corrected, and then the public berating of players, which also seemed to die down once he got to know the team, and last the cutting of the players.

hey i recognize rickma is going to take the billikens to high levels. i just dont like the path we're taking to get there. i dont see why we couldnt have started our assent to better days without these three issues arising. hopefully it was a one season thing and we wont be subjected to the painful games anymore, the berating of our players publically and cutting players that dont seem to fit in his eyes anymore.

nothing could be further from the truth. soderberg could be given north carolina and not win as much as rickma will win here. i know that. my defense of soderberg is simply there is no reason to harp on the past. he's gone. i believe he could have won to a degree and created a decent program but not a top 15 program like i believe rickma can produce. and that lies a big part of my difference in criticism. my expectations are much much higher. rickma not only has the credentials he has been given the keys to the castle.

i think rickma has the past record that proves he will win and take us places no other billiken coaches ever did. i have said many times over the last year he is a master tactician.

that said, when i see a master tactician forcing square pegs in a round hole like he did in november/early december last year, well i expected more. so i said so. ironically he changes his game focus thereafter and ends up with a respectable season. surprise. so why shouldnt one question the motivation of what the hell was going on that first month?

if that had been soderberg, i wouldnt have expected as much. he didnt have the track record or the tools to build and win like rickma and definitely wouldnt compete x's and o's. so what would be the point of criticizing. was he coaching to HIS capacity? imo, yes. was rickma? imo, no.

besides that first month, my other two complaints of the rickma era were the public berating of the players. just uncalled for imo. and now the cutting of the four players and the rumored firing of thorpe. imo just not the right thing to do. even if you look at it from a basketball standpoint only and not the human side, you have to wonder if it wont be used against him recruiting? i guess he will be able to play the "stepchild" game on this group, but if the merry go round does continue as it did at utah, i know if i was an opposing coach, i would use it against him.

again, for those that are apparently keeping score, those are my three complaints, the early season mind boggling game approach which was corrected, and then the public berating of players, which also seemed to die down once he got to know the team, and last the cutting of the players.

hey i recognize rickma is going to take the billikens to high levels. i just dont like the path we're taking to get there. i dont see why we couldnt have started our assent to better days without these three issues arising. hopefully it was a one season thing and we wont be subjected to the painful games anymore, the berating of our players publically and cutting players that dont seem to fit in his eyes anymore.

Then you would have knocked Billy the Kid for calling his recent Florida team as not having the heart for the game. Denying them the use of their locker room. These coaches are trying to make these kids mature a little. This ain't T'ball.

Then you would have knocked Billy the Kid for calling his recent Florida team as not having the heart for the game. Denying them the use of their locker room. These coaches are trying to make these kids mature a little. This ain't T'ball.

you are correct. i thought donovan was out of line. he wants to tell them that in the lockerroom that is fine. but no way he had any business expressing that via the media.

it has nothing to do with t-ball or the nba. it has everything to do with treating people with respect and dignity. there is a reason that acts like such are big news and a rarity. the other 99% of the coaching profession is a little more civil and likely a little less egotistical than donovan.

I have asked several times and nobody has yet been able to cite examples. What are examples of this "public berating"? I listen to his radio show fairly regularly and read many of his quotes throughout the season and I can't think of any. Please, somebody cite some examples. This kind of unsubstatiated crap about our coach can't be good for the program, so I'm not sure why some of Sodie's soldiers make this claim without backing it up. They just float it out there like it is the truth. I heard RM on numerous examples just gush about the character of the kids and cite specific reasons why he liked them.

I have asked several times and nobody has yet been able to cite examples. What are examples of this "public berating"? I listen to his radio show fairly regularly and read many of his quotes throughout the season and I can't think of any. Please, somebody cite some examples. This kind of unsubstatiated crap about our coach can't be good for the program, so I'm not sure why some of Sodie's soldiers make this claim without backing it up. They just float it out there like it is the truth. I heard RM on numerous examples just gush about the character of the kids and cite specific reasons why he liked them.

calling the players step children sticks out the most. constantly defending our losses by just saying our players are no good.

you are correct as the season went on he stopped doing it. i think he finally saw they indeed were good kids. but that doesnt erase the fact that for the first month of the season he was calling out the players in the media all the time. there was no reason to do it at all from day one.

you are correct. i thought donovan was out of line. he wants to tell them that in the lockerroom that is fine. but no way he had any business expressing that via the media.

it has nothing to do with t-ball or the nba. it has everything to do with treating people with respect and dignity. there is a reason that acts like such are big news and a rarity. the other 99% of the coaching profession is a little more civil and likely a little less egotistical than donovan.

Roy, I do agree that we should treat our college athletes differently than we should our professional athletes. However, many of these players, especially those that play at the high D-1 level like those at Florida, need to be taken down a peg or two from time to time. Many of them have been coddled since the days someone discovered they could shoot a basketball. I don't think there is anything wrong with letting it be known that a team of young men (after all they are young "men" and not children) are not meeting expectations.

calling the players step children sticks out the most. constantly defending our losses by just saying our players are no good.

you are correct as the season went on he stopped doing it. i think he finally saw they indeed were good kids. but that doesnt erase the fact that for the first month of the season he was calling out the players in the media all the time. there was no reason to do it at all from day one.

or maybe his actions in the first month caught the players' attention and they started performing as required under RM's reign. Once that happened, then there was no need to beat the same drum.

I'm not saying that's what happened, but it seems equally viable.

I don't see anything too harsh there. I don't believe he ever said our players are "no good." I have heard him say things like our roster lacks size, athleticism and depth... I don't think anybody can dispute that. I don't see where he has singled out an individual in an unfair or cruel way. I have heard him give detailed critique's of individual players games, but never heard a criticism that attacked a kid's character.