Official Chaifetz "first impressions" thread

bonwich

They need some frozen yogurt that comes in commemorative billiken head bowls. If I were an undergrad student now I would have a sweet collection of Billiken Plastic cups and commemorative billiken head bowls.

I'm trying to get my student season tix for next year. I am a distance edumacation student but I should be able to make it to a few games.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

-i was thoroughly impressed with the bldg and the job the ath dept did to put on this event, i hope seat picking day is this organized

-rick was there until at least 6.45, as was Fr B who seemed ecstatic

-as i was walking from the o-c garage i passed a clayco worker and potential horrors passed through my mind, but all was well

-there are a bunch of items to finish, but i was pleasantly shocked

-i heard Fr B tell someone the 4 boards were cheaper than a jumbotron, they were nicely used for the 'trotters tonight

-band sounded great, thanks

-dance team was about 10 girls, no evidence to me of other spirit team members other than the billiken

-was there a map to the bricks/pavers?

-lorenzini's could be a nice hangout, getting there on game night depending on how they make you go could be interesting

-how many flat screens are in that complex? 250? 500? they are seemingly everywhere

-both seat types seemed comfortable

-the seating area slope is excellent-well done design crew!!!

-seems rick has the biggest office, but the ad has the corner

-in contrast to others, i thought student turnout was very good

-should be fun, hope we are replacing the bulbs in that light a lot

Went to the Globetrotter game last night and had some observations on the new facility. I'm a Mizzou fan so I made comparisons based on my first trips into their arena.

*The signage on the Chaifetz is very appealing and I didnt mind the long walk into the building. Having not spent much time on the SLU campus, I enjoyed seeing the athletic fields and the groundskeeping looked great. Walking out, there was a great view of the campus at night.

*I will preface this point by saying I wasn't expecting a lot given the time the building has been up, but after a walk around the concourse, I felt like it was Groundhog Day at each turn. One of the things I like about Mizzou Arena is the character of the building, particularly walking around with the salutes to the great teams, the Hall of Fame (which is right in front of you) and the views into the playing area. Chaifetz has roomy areas to walk around and a GREAT view into the practice area (though I'm sure Coach Majerus doesn't care for it). I would like to see more about the history of the program other than the few pictures of campus life at the entrance and a few small, random banners. I expect though that the championship banners and retired numbers will go up inside the arena soon as well.

* On a side note vs the Family Arena, Chaifetz is much more lit up and inviting. The one time I did go out to FA, it felt like I was in a tomb.

*My biggest complaint though and this is where I think they made their most cost-cutting move...the room between the rows and the size of the seats were really black marks to me. My family and I were fortunate enough to be sitting in the "padded" seats between the foul lines and I can tell you if you're sitting next to a normal-sized man you will have no elbow room (and I'm talking about a normal person, not someone with weight issues). Combined with the total lack of leg room in front of you, you will get death-stares everytime you get up to use the facilities or visit the concession areas if you happen to have middle-of-the-row seats.

*While the leg-room and elbow-room area is definitely in Mizzou Arena's favor, the sight-line issue is no contest. Chaifetz has EXCELLENT views of the floor from each seat. While you're definitely closer to the action with every seat at MA compared to Hearnes Center, the seats in Columbia slope back at such a gradual rate that if you're sitting behind someone 6-0 or above, you're going to be studying hair follicles all game. The architects at Chaifetz have done a great job of making sure the seat-pitch goes up at a steep enough angle to allow you to see over the row in front of you. A major plus!

*I didn't mind the scoreboards-in-the-corner thing. However, I think the reason they did it had more to do with the height of the arena rather than a preference for something different. If they would've hung a board down from the rafters, every full-court heave probably would've knocked lights out on the scoreboard. It just seemed to me to be just that low. Another cost-cutter possibly?

*The sound system wasn't too bad although any problems they had last night may have had more to do with having to listen to the Globetrotter's post-man's non-stop, running commentary from his wireless mike. Also, I hope that the PA man from last night was the Globetrotter's traveling man and not the Chaifetz in-game announcer.

*In summary, a very nice place to visit and I would definitely like to see a packed-house game in there sometime. Just please provide a stretching area afterwards for my calves and hamstrings from being sardined into my seat. :-)

it is always great to hear from our mi$$ouri fans that we are once again substandard to them in something else.

Went to the Globetrotter game last night and had some observations on the new facility. I'm a Mizzou fan so I made comparisons based on my first trips into their arena.

*The signage on the Chaifetz is very appealing and I didnt mind the long walk into the building. Having not spent much time on the SLU campus, I enjoyed seeing the athletic fields and the groundskeeping looked great. Walking out, there was a great view of the campus at night.

*I will preface this point by saying I wasn't expecting a lot given the time the building has been up, but after a walk around the concourse, I felt like it was Groundhog Day at each turn. One of the things I like about Mizzou Arena is the character of the building, particularly walking around with the salutes to the great teams, the Hall of Fame (which is right in front of you) and the views into the playing area. Chaifetz has roomy areas to walk around and a GREAT view into the practice area (though I'm sure Coach Majerus doesn't care for it). I would like to see more about the history of the program other than the few pictures of campus life at the entrance and a few small, random banners. I expect though that the championship banners and retired numbers will go up inside the arena soon as well.

* On a side note vs the Family Arena, Chaifetz is much more lit up and inviting. The one time I did go out to FA, it felt like I was in a tomb.

*My biggest complaint though and this is where I think they made their most cost-cutting move...the room between the rows and the size of the seats were really black marks to me. My family and I were fortunate enough to be sitting in the "padded" seats between the foul lines and I can tell you if you're sitting next to a normal-sized man you will have no elbow room (and I'm talking about a normal person, not someone with weight issues). Combined with the total lack of leg room in front of you, you will get death-stares everytime you get up to use the facilities or visit the concession areas if you happen to have middle-of-the-row seats.

*While the leg-room and elbow-room area is definitely in Mizzou Arena's favor, the sight-line issue is no contest. Chaifetz has EXCELLENT views of the floor from each seat. While you're definitely closer to the action with every seat at MA compared to Hearnes Center, the seats in Columbia slope back at such a gradual rate that if you're sitting behind someone 6-0 or above, you're going to be studying hair follicles all game. The architects at Chaifetz have done a great job of making sure the seat-pitch goes up at a steep enough angle to allow you to see over the row in front of you. A major plus!

*I didn't mind the scoreboards-in-the-corner thing. However, I think the reason they did it had more to do with the height of the arena rather than a preference for something different. If they would've hung a board down from the rafters, every full-court heave probably would've knocked lights out on the scoreboard. It just seemed to me to be just that low. Another cost-cutter possibly?

*The sound system wasn't too bad although any problems they had last night may have had more to do with having to listen to the Globetrotter's post-man's non-stop, running commentary from his wireless mike. Also, I hope that the PA man from last night was the Globetrotter's traveling man and not the Chaifetz in-game announcer.

*In summary, a very nice place to visit and I would definitely like to see a packed-house game in there sometime. Just please provide a stretching area afterwards for my calves and hamstrings from being sardined into my seat. :-)

I was at the Open House and you made a very good summary and I agree with most of what you have said.

I noticed the seats seemed sort of small and not a lot of leg room.....but that can be a good thing. I don't think we want a place that is like our living room loungers. I want the fans out of their seats and standing most of the night at the games. I think the tightness of things will be of benefit to increase a great atmosphere. Have you ever been to a game at KU's Allen Fieldhouse.....don't go there if you want any personal space! But I don't think the KU fans mind at all!

The Billiken Band better be ready to tighten up their space used also! No more using an entire section to spread out with music stands and massive drum equipment. I don't think I remember ever seeing other school's pep bands have the sheet music or music stands in front of them at games?

I think you are right also about the corner scoreboards.....they are okay but I think those corner scoreboards were cost cutting moves with keeping the ceiling low.......let's not give Father too much credit for the brilliant idea of the scoreboards. But I do like that the ceiling low to the floor......that creates the intimacy of the place too.....and that fan noise might bounce right off that ceiling and back down on the court!

I would think there will be added touches relative to Billiken history and such in the concourse with due time.

Can't wait to see that place rockin with a packed house in November!!

I went to the Globetrotters game and sat in section 103. I took my sons and my nephew who is 6'7". My nephew said that he had plenty of leg room. I'm 6'2" and was more then comfortable. Some people have to remember it's an arena not a family room.

I went to the Globetrotters game and sat in section 103. I took my sons and my nephew who is 6'7". My nephew said that he had plenty of leg room. I'm 6'2" and was more then comfortable. Some people have to remember it's an arena not a family room.

Actually, I thought there was more leg room where I sat for the dedication then at the Scottrade.

I was at the Open House and you made a very good summary and I agree with most of what you have said.

I noticed the seats seemed sort of small and not a lot of leg room.....but that can be a good thing. I don't think we want a place that is like our living room loungers. I want the fans out of their seats and standing most of the night at the games. I think the tightness of things will be of benefit to increase a great atmosphere. Have you ever been to a game at KU's Allen Fieldhouse.....don't go there if you want any personal space! But I don't think the KU fans mind at all!

The Billiken Band better be ready to tighten up their space used also! No more using an entire section to spread out with music stands and massive drum equipment. I don't think I remember ever seeing other school's pep bands have the sheet music or music stands in front of them at games?

I think you are right also about the corner scoreboards.....they are okay but I think those corner scoreboards were cost cutting moves with keeping the ceiling low.......let's not give Father too much credit for the brilliant idea of the scoreboards. But I do like that the ceiling low to the floor......that creates the intimacy of the place too.....and that fan noise might bounce right off that ceiling and back down on the court!

I would think there will be added touches relative to Billiken history and such in the concourse with due time.

Can't wait to see that place rockin with a packed house in November!!

I was told the corner scoreboards were much more expensive .... I'm not sure though and that press release makes it sound like his company just installed the scoreboards ... so I'm guessing when he said they were much more expensive he was talking about the instillation not the cost. Without having seen it in use though ... I'd say I like them. Tonight I'll get a better feel.

Any thoughts from the people who saw the trotters.

I was told the corner scoreboards were much more expensive .... I'm not sure though and that press release makes it sound like his company just installed the scoreboards ... so I'm guessing when he said they were much more expensive he was talking about the instillation not the cost. Without having seen it in use though ... I'd say I like them. Tonight I'll get a better feel.

Any thoughts from the people who saw the trotters.

They only did the team score and time remaining on the lower part of the scoreboard for last nights game. The main section had the video, no individual stats for the players like normal on the ends, just a Globetrotters logo. The score was also on the ring on the ends just like Scottrade.

Posted Image

it is always great to hear from our mi$$ouri fans that we are once again substandard to them in something else.

I think you've had so many obnoxious, close-minded Mizzou fans on here that you can't recognize an objective post from one of the previous posts you've been burned up about. I really respect everything SLU is trying to do with the new facilities and think Coach Majerus is a tremendous basketball mind.

I was only trying to relate my first visit inside one arena to my first visit inside another. Nothing more, nothing less.

Sure, we'll abandon our music. Just remember this though, without music all you will hear are about 10 memorized songs repeated every game instead of a rotation of songs from our playbook of about 80 selections. We'll be just fine without "tighening up".

Perhaps you are thinking they will need the space for students? I wouldn't be too concerned by that seeing as there were less than 20 dedicated hard core Blue Crew members there in their "official' section on thursday.