Official Chaifetz "first impressions" thread

bonwich

I'd imagine people will figure parking out rather quickly, although it will be likely be awful on nights when there are shows at the Fox. Both Harris Stowe and Wachovia would be smart to provide parking.

Iggy and I are going to need to petition for a Washington Avenue shuttle to the games.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Parking 1) Didn't Larry say something in his speech thanking at least two SLU neighbors for their "great cooperation" in allowing parking in their lots? Did anybody catch who they were? 2) There are new surface lots north of Lindell that were being used yesterday. 3) What about the Laclede/Grand garage? That's where we've generally parked for soccer. 4) There is allegedly a plan for a new garage on the north side of Olive that would jointly serve SLU and the Locust Business District.

Re: Lorenzini's -- We named our bar after Romar? :)

Fr. Biondi thanked Sigma Aldrich for letting SLU use their parking lot for parking. Im not really sure where the building is but a friend I was with works there and said the walk isnt bad at all.

Speaking of shuttles, are there any specific Bi-State routes that serve SLU? If not, why the hell not? WashU has at least one if not two public transit lines that are specifically designed to take its students from one campus to the other, dipping through neighborhoods that have significant student and faculty populations.

Re: Parking 1) Didn't Larry say something in his speech thanking at least two SLU neighbors for their "great cooperation" in allowing parking in their lots? Did anybody catch who they were? 2) There are new surface lots north of Lindell that were being used yesterday. 3) What about the Laclede/Grand garage? That's where we've generally parked for soccer. 4) There is allegedly a plan for a new garage on the north side of Olive that would jointly serve SLU and the Locust Business District.

Re: Lorenzini's -- We named our bar after Romar? :)

Is O-C garage parking free for Billiken Club members?

My daughter and I got there late and made a bee-line to see locker rooms and practice facilites. Very impressive.

In doing so, we did not see or notice the concessions and prices. Not looking for full and exact details of all items, but do the prices and sizes appear to be similar to the Scott? For instance, what size beer will be available and what are prices? Same with a hot dog or pretzel?

My daughter and I got there late and made a bee-line to see locker rooms and practice facilites. Very impressive.

In doing so, we did not see or notice the concessions and prices. Not looking for full and exact details of all items, but do the prices and sizes appear to be similar to the Scott? For instance, what size beer will be available and what are prices? Same with a hot dog or pretzel?

Hotdogs were 3.50.

24 oz beers were around 7.50 I think.

I thought the place was great. I was in a hurry as I had to get to practice, but I was amazed at how many people were there around 4:30 - 5:00. Ran into a few friends I hadn't seen in a while, Denny, Wayne, and Dave ... if you read this sorry, I couldn't talk but I really was rushed for time and wanted to see as much of the arena as I could.

I wish the Hall of Fame area, I guess that's what you'd call it where all the trophy's and gear are located was in the main concourse. There is a lot of neat stuff. When my girls went to the BE center we met with Shimmy in the HOF room and almost every girl thought that all the old pics and memorabilia was cool, many of them wanting to stay in the room longer to check it out. SLU has a history that many people aren't aware of ... I wish this was out in the open whre it would be seen by more people.

I found out yesterday the guy I coach with's family owns Piros Sign Co he is a VP and they did the scoreboards and the other electrical signage in the arena. He said the 4 corner scoreboards were alot more expensive than a center one, but it's what Father B wanted. I think they look great. Funny, I talk to him a few times a week and I never knew his company was doing the scoreboard. I told him I was there touring it for the first time and he said he could have gotten me in anytime. I wish I would have known.

I found out yesterday the guy I coach with's family owns Piros Sign Co he is a VP and they did the scoreboards and the other electrical signage in the arena. He said the 4 corner scoreboards were alot more expensive than a center one, but it's what Father B wanted. I think they look great. Funny, I talk to him a few times a week and I never knew his company was doing the scoreboard. I told him I was there touring it for the first time and he said he could have gotten me in anytime. I wish I would have known.

Skip, per a press release in September. SLU was installing Daktronics scoreboards in the corners, sidelines and around the upper ring. Who ever did it, it is impressive and 1st class.

BROOKINGS, S.D. – Sept. 11, 2007 – Saint Louis University recently chose Daktronics (NASDAQ – DAKT) of Brookings, S.D., to provide multiple scoring and display products for their university. The university will be installing their new integrated scoring and display system over the next few months, with work expected to be completed by the spring of 2008.

The new Chaifetz Arena, future home of Billiken basketball and volleyball, as well as a host of other events, will soon be encircled by an over 2,000 square foot, full-color digital LED fascia display. This display will constantly be updating fans with game information as well as being an effective advertising solution. With 360 degrees of coverage throughout the arena, this display will be visible to each and every Billiken fan.

“We are very pleased to have an industry leader like Daktronics designing the scoreboard package for Chaifetz Arena,” said Saint Louis University Chaifetz Arena Project Manager Janice Crawford. “We are confident that the Daktronics scoreboards, ribbon board, and LED floor tables at Chaifetz Arena will make for one of the best viewing experiences anywhere in the country. Matt Warnke and his team have been extremely helpful in assisting us with selecting the best products for our facility.”

The digital display circumscribing Chaifetz Arena is just one of many Daktronics products being installed at Chaifetz Arena. Also taking watch over the Billiken’s home court will be four custom scoring and video boards, complete with the latest LED video technology capable of showing live action, replay footage, player information, and more. Each board will measure over 460 square feet, which makes them some of the largest collegiate basketball displays in the Midwest.

“Everyone at Daktronics is very excited about the opportunity to partner with Saint Louis University on their new Chaifetz Arena,” said Matt Warnke, Daktronics Sales. “This new facility, along with our state-of-the-art products, will provide Billiken fans the ultimate experience. It has been a pleasure working with everyone involved on this project, and we look forward to a long partnership with Saint Louis University."

Daktronics HD-ready video technology uses the latest in red, green and blue (RGB) LED technology to present live and recorded video images, colorful animation and vivid graphics with incredible brightness and wide-angle visibility.

In addition to the main scoreboards and fascia display, Daktronics will be providing multiple sections of digital scorer’s tables for Chaifetz Arena, utilizing the latest in surface mount LED technology for excellent resolution, contrast and viewing angles. The courtside displays will have an incredibly clear 10mm pixel resolution, and they will allow fans to keep updated on game information without ever taking their eyes away from the action.

The Billiken’s new practice facility is also receiving Daktronics products. Both the Saint Louis volleyball and basketball teams will utilize four multi-use scoreboards installed in the new practice facility, which will be connected to Chaifetz Arena.

Saint Louis University - Daktronics Press Release

Hotdogs were 3.50.

I know it's very early and a regular menu might not be in place but I thought their concession offerings were pretty spartan. Dogs-nachos-popcorn-pretzels-beer- soda. Maybe they should hire Joe Bonwich so we can get something fitting for the best building in town.

I know it's very early and a regular menu might not be in place but I thought their concession offerings were pretty spartan. Dogs-nachos-popcorn-pretzels-beer- soda. Maybe they should hire Joe Bonwich so we can get something fitting for the best building in town.

If anyone from the athletic department is monitoring this board, it would be a no-brainer to do a contract with Pappy's to do barbecue on game days in the same way that Super Smokers used to do for Busch and the Dome. Unfortunately, I think the Chaifetz operators will want to keep the maximum amount of concessions revenue to themselves/the U.

If anyone from the athletic department is monitoring this board, it would be a no-brainer to do a contract with Pappy's to do barbecue on game days in the same way that Super Smokers used to do for Busch and the Dome. Unfortunately, I think the Chaifetz operators will want to keep the maximum amount of concessions revenue to themselves/the U.

This would be a great idea plus I think that one of the former owners/creators of Super Smokers now owns Pappys, is that right Joe? I ate at Pappys and that is some good bbq!

Best...idea....EVA

How about a contract with Gus for his pretzels. I lived off of Gus' brat-sandwich for a solid 3 months. Didn't the Cardinals screw Gus over?

Skip, per a press release in September. SLU was installing Daktronics scoreboards in the corners, sidelines and around the upper ring. Who ever did it, it is impressive and 1st class.

BROOKINGS, S.D. – Sept. 11, 2007 – Saint Louis University recently chose Daktronics (NASDAQ – DAKT) of Brookings, S.D., to provide multiple scoring and display products for their university. The university will be installing their new integrated scoring and display system over the next few months, with work expected to be completed by the spring of 2008.

The new Chaifetz Arena, future home of Billiken basketball and volleyball, as well as a host of other events, will soon be encircled by an over 2,000 square foot, full-color digital LED fascia display. This display will constantly be updating fans with game information as well as being an effective advertising solution. With 360 degrees of coverage throughout the arena, this display will be visible to each and every Billiken fan.

“We are very pleased to have an industry leader like Daktronics designing the scoreboard package for Chaifetz Arena,” said Saint Louis University Chaifetz Arena Project Manager Janice Crawford. “We are confident that the Daktronics scoreboards, ribbon board, and LED floor tables at Chaifetz Arena will make for one of the best viewing experiences anywhere in the country. Matt Warnke and his team have been extremely helpful in assisting us with selecting the best products for our facility.”

The digital display circumscribing Chaifetz Arena is just one of many Daktronics products being installed at Chaifetz Arena. Also taking watch over the Billiken’s home court will be four custom scoring and video boards, complete with the latest LED video technology capable of showing live action, replay footage, player information, and more. Each board will measure over 460 square feet, which makes them some of the largest collegiate basketball displays in the Midwest.

“Everyone at Daktronics is very excited about the opportunity to partner with Saint Louis University on their new Chaifetz Arena,” said Matt Warnke, Daktronics Sales. “This new facility, along with our state-of-the-art products, will provide Billiken fans the ultimate experience. It has been a pleasure working with everyone involved on this project, and we look forward to a long partnership with Saint Louis University."

Daktronics HD-ready video technology uses the latest in red, green and blue (RGB) LED technology to present live and recorded video images, colorful animation and vivid graphics with incredible brightness and wide-angle visibility.

In addition to the main scoreboards and fascia display, Daktronics will be providing multiple sections of digital scorer’s tables for Chaifetz Arena, utilizing the latest in surface mount LED technology for excellent resolution, contrast and viewing angles. The courtside displays will have an incredibly clear 10mm pixel resolution, and they will allow fans to keep updated on game information without ever taking their eyes away from the action.

The Billiken’s new practice facility is also receiving Daktronics products. Both the Saint Louis volleyball and basketball teams will utilize four multi-use scoreboards installed in the new practice facility, which will be connected to Chaifetz Arena.

Saint Louis University - Daktronics Press Release

Piros Sign Co did the installation. I thought they were great, from reading that article it sounds like scores and info will be on the screens connected to the scorers table. That should be cool.

Hotdogs were 3.50.

Beers will be $7.75 hope everyone enjoyed unlimited free ones yesterday, especially in Lorenzo Romar's restuarant where some bartenders might have been serving several at a time. I'm not sayin'....I'm just sayin'

Thanks to all for these reports. I echo a lot of Taj's comments.

When I finally get to see the place in person, probably sometime during the next basketball season, I would not be surprised if I feel significant emotions. This has been needed for oh so long, for more than 3 decades, throughout my time as a Billiken fan.

I have had several friends out here, with no connection to SLU except through me, ask me when our first road trip to the new SLU Arena is going to be. Now these are native Californians, one a SoCal and one a NorCal. They think SLU is on the right track. And so do I. This should make all Billikens proud.

Here is the entire menu

Cheese Pizza $6

Pepperoni Pizza $6

Chicken Sandwich $5

Hot Dog $3.50

Brats $5

Pretzel $3.50

Popcorn $2.75

Nachos $3.50

Cotton Candy $3.75

Candy $3.25

Chips $2