Harrellson on 590

He will be on campus this weekend for a visit.

Great timing (but for the weather forecast)--he will likely get to see the arena in action and meet both the returning players and several of the incoming ones.

Great timing (but for the weather forecast)--he will likely get to see the arena in action and meet both the returning players and several of the incoming ones.

I didnt hear the interview but I heard he is also going to visit IU, Kentucky, and Purdue there could be one more but I cant remember which school. Seems like we have been in a ton of recruiting battles with IU lately, Stemler, Thompson, Harellson

I didnt hear the interview but I heard he is also going to visit IU, Kentucky, and Purdue there could be one more but I cant remember which school. Seems like we have been in a ton of recruiting battles with IU lately, Stemler, Thompson, Harellson

Don't forget Matt Roth. We thought he was all but wrapped up. Wrong. Mr. Cell phone got to him.

Don't forget Roth.

Sure is a little different than the good ole days where we'd get excited about beating out the UW-Milwaukee's of the world for our top recruits.

Don't forget Roth.

Sure is a little different than the good ole days where we'd get excited about beating out the UW-Milwaukee's of the world for our top recruits.

I forgot about Roth...At least now we might be on on a level playing field now that Samscum is canned.

I forgot about Roth...At least now we might be on on a level playing field now that Samscum is canned.

Lets be honest, we'll never be on a level playing field with Indiana and Kentucky. They are basketball royalty and play in power conferences. That doesn't mean we can't out-recruit them for a particular kid or don't have positives to offer (i.e. high profile coach, playing time, close to home, new arena, etc.) but I doubt we'll ever be consistently smoking those two schools for recruits.

Lets be honest, we'll never be on a level playing field with Indiana and Kentucky. They are basketball royalty and play in power conferences. That doesn't mean we can't out-recruit them for a particular kid or don't have positives to offer (i.e. high profile coach, playing time, close to home, new arena, etc.) but I doubt we'll ever be consistently smoking those two schools for recruits.

I agree but its nice when those same "royalty" programs arent cheating. Im not expecting to beat those programs out even when they are playing by the rules but hopefully we can get Harlleson. Looking at the schools after him I dont see us getting him. He can get just as much playing time at IU and KY as he would here and im sure that will be one of our selling points.

I agree but its nice when those same "royalty" programs arent cheating. Im not expecting to beat those programs out even when they are playing by the rules but hopefully we can get Harlleson. Looking at the schools after him I dont see us getting him. He can get just as much playing time at IU and KY as he would here and im sure that will be one of our selling points.

I have absolutely no inside information into the JH recruitment but I would put our chances at between 20%-50%. Assuming he visits 5 schools and none of them are Illinois or MU, we are THE local option. Hence, we aren't just one of 5 and are better than 20%. But you are right, any time you up against UK or Indiana, etc. and playing time is not a concern its hard to think you are on equal footing. Hence you are somewhere below 50%. No matter what, following this for the next few weeks should keep the board interesting...

I have absolutely no inside information into the JH recruitment but I would put our chances at between 20%-50%. Assuming he visits 5 schools and none of them are Illinois or MU, we are THE local option. Hence, we aren't just one of 5 and are better than 20%. But you are right, any time you up against UK or Indiana, etc. and playing time is not a concern its hard to think you are on equal footing. Hence you are somewhere below 50%. No matter what, following this for the next few weeks should keep the board interesting...

Despite what we see on this board I dont think staying close to home is going to be top on his list when IU and KY are wanting his services. Its not like Bloomington and Lexington are that far anyway. Lets hope Rick can seal the deal.

Great timing (but for the weather forecast)--he will likely get to see the arena in action and meet both the returning players

you mean we are now down to just two?

Its not like Bloomington and Lexington are that far anyway.

From a player's perspective, no. From the parents' perspective, that 4-5 hour drive means the difference between leaving work a few minutes early 15 times/year to see your kid play his home games at night or having to take a day or two off work 15 times/year to see your kid play his home games.

Despite what we see on this board I dont think staying close to home is going to be top on his list when IU and KY are wanting his services. Its not like Bloomington and Lexington are that far anyway. Lets hope Rick can seal the deal.

Why not.

1. The A-10 is a good conference where teams have the ability to get to the final 4

2. One of the winningest coaches in the game with a history of developing big men to play in the NBA

3. The chance to build something new in front of family and friends

4. If you go to the final 4 at KY or IU you are just another real good player on a good team, if you go to the final 4 at SLU

you go down as hometown hero and a member of the best team to play at SLU in over 50 years.

I heard Ryan Robertson on The Morning After radio show a few weeks ago. He said he really enjoyed his experience at KU, but that a small part of him wonders if he limited his long-term basketball career by not going to a school like SLU (he specifically mentioned SLU) at which he could have developed as the star, not the third option after Pierce and LaFrenz.

Every person has a different perspective and preference in these situations in life, but along these lines not every great college basketball player is best suited for the superstar programs.

I heard Ryan Robertson on The Morning After radio show a few weeks ago. He said he really enjoyed his experience at KU, but that a small part of him wonders if he limited his long-term basketball career by not going to a school like SLU (he specifically mentioned SLU) at which he could have developed as the star, not the third option after Pierce and LaFrenz.

Every person has a different perspective and preference in these situations in life, but along these lines not every great college basketball player is best suited for the superstar programs.

Nark, its funny you mentioned that interview because I was reading on Bernie's board some Mizzou fans talk about how he wondered if life would have been different if he had gone to MU instead of KU. No mention of SLU. I didn't hear the interview but its interseting how two people can hear the exact same thing but have totally different interpretations.

Why not.

1. The A-10 is a good conference where teams have the ability to get to the final 4

2. One of the winningest coaches in the game with a history of developing big men to play in the NBA

3. The chance to build something new in front of family and friends

4. If you go to the final 4 at KY or IU you are just another real good player on a good team, if you go to the final 4 at SLU

you go down as hometown hero and a member of the best team to play at SLU in over 50 years.

The A14 is NOT the SEC, Big 11, Big 12, Big East, ACC, PAC 10. Those conferences tend to get on tv pretty regularly and get to the final 4 every year. The A10 has done it, but not as regularly as the big boys.

I hope RM can get it done. It would be a nice pickup and a feather in his cap. I can absolutely understand if RM doesn't make it happen and won't beat him up over it.

I think if you take a look at how many NBA and professional players have come from Kansas as opposed to SLU, I don't see how someone could conclude that going to SLU was a better long term option (you can't say we're at KU's level). This strikes me as an extremely egotistical comment from Robertson. This "I could have been the star" stuff is great. He could have really been something if he would have gone to Wash U! The fact that he played and practiced with a team as talented as Kansas made him a much better player. The fact that he played in a top conference helped as well (CUSA was good in those days, but not usually as deep). The NBA usually finds the best players.

What he's really saying is that he might have had better stats at a school like SLU. It's pure speculation. Maybe he could have been a high draft pick, maybe, maybe, woulda, shoulda, coulda. As it turns out, Blake Ahern has had a more distinguished NBA career and he didn't get drafted at all.

BTW, this is a knock at you, David, or the point of your post. I just think Robertson is looking for excuses.

What he's really saying is that he might have had better stats at a school like SLU. It's pure speculation. Maybe he could have been a high draft pick, maybe, maybe, woulda, shoulda, coulda. As it turns out, Blake Ahern has had a more distinguished NBA career and he didn't get drafted at all.

I think you need to hear the interview to understand the context. The comment resulted from a question regarding playing for Roy Williams. I don't think Ryan believed he was held back by a lack of individual statistics or exposure. The comments were made in the context of Ryan's analysis of his personal development as a player under William's direction. Ryan indicated that Williams focused on developing Ryan within the system, with the focus on getting the ball to the stars in the best position to score. Ryan wondered allowed whether a different coach/system would have allowed him to develop and grow more as an individual player, not just as part of the William's system.

I understand your point. Larry could have gone to one of the big fish and been part of some great teams and would have produced good numbers. Instead, he came here and got to showcase all of his talents. He reaped individual awards, got his team to the second round of the tournament and eventually into the lottery at age 19 and he has made bundles of cash. Plus, we enjoyed the first game in the Dome against Illinois with about 33,000 people because of Larry. If he had stayed another one or two years, there's no telling what he could have accomplished and the team for that matter.

WE all know that family considerations helped keep Larry at home. BUT, the bottom line is that Larry was able to experience the kind of big time college basketball (he created it actually) right here in town that he would have experienced had he went to KU, Syracuse or Illinois. I imagine it's going to be hard to get a ticket to a Davidson game for the next few years with Curry there. Xavier packs the Cintas Center every night as does Gonzaga, Creighton and Southern Illinois.

since larry graduated from CBC, there has yet to be a player come out of st. louis who has been better than him. of all the "big time" players who have gone on to the "big name" schools" none of them have experienced the college success that Larry enjoyed in one year, were drafted higher in the NBA

(except for Darius Miles, who didn't go to college) and have enjoyed the financial windfall as a pro player.

That's why I understand Ryan's point. He got a chance to experience four years of college basketball with the blue bloods, but he didn't have anything close to success that he enjoyed in high school. Whereas, Highmark, Claggett, Hughes did. That's the trade-off, I guess. Nothing wrong with being a four-year guy at KU. But, there's something missing when you don't get to develop your full talents and become the best college player you can possibly be because you went to a place where you became a support player without a true chance to shine. That could be hard.

But as I said, that's the trade off.

bad boyz for life

I understand your point. Larry could have gone to one of the big fish and been part of some great teams and would have produced good numbers. Instead, he came here and got to showcase all of his talents. He reaped individual awards, got his team to the second round of the tournament and eventually into the lottery at age 19 and he has made bundles of cash. Plus, we enjoyed the first game in the Dome against Illinois with about 33,000 people because of Larry. If he had stayed another one or two years, there's no telling what he could have accomplished and the team for that matter.

WE all know that family considerations helped keep Larry at home. BUT, the bottom line is that Larry was able to experience the kind of big time college basketball (he created it actually) right here in town that he would have experienced had he went to KU, Syracuse or Illinois. I imagine it's going to be hard to get a ticket to a Davidson game for the next few years with Curry there. Xavier packs the Cintas Center every night as does Gonzaga, Creighton and Southern Illinois.

since larry graduated from CBC, there has yet to be a player come out of st. louis who has been better than him. of all the "big time" players who have gone on to the "big name" schools" none of them have experienced the college success that Larry enjoyed in one year, were drafted higher in the NBA

(except for Darius Miles, who didn't go to college) and have enjoyed the financial windfall as a pro player.

That's why I understand Ryan's point. He got a chance to experience four years of college basketball with the blue bloods, but he didn't have anything close to success that he enjoyed in high school. Whereas, Highmark, Claggett, Hughes did. That's the trade-off, I guess. Nothing wrong with being a four-year guy at KU. But, there's something missing when you don't get to develop your full talents and become the best college player you can possibly be because you went to a place where you became a support player without a true chance to shine. That could be hard.

bad boyz for life

I think the same can be said about Marcus Ginyard at NC. He absolutely dominated the WCAC (Washington Catholic Athletic Conference) without really even trying. When he wanted to score, he took it to the hoop and scored. Was a 5 star prospect.

He goes to NC and has to play in the shadow of TH and Lawson, and even Green and ellington who feel that they should be go to guys. His job really is defense and the full court pass to start the fast break. The Washington Post did a column on the final four and he was ranked dead last in NBA potential.

If Curry played for KU or NC, would he be able to play over guys like collins, chalmers, green, ellington.....I do not know, he will end up in the NBA now, but without being the go to guy at davidson, he would have probably enjoyed a successful accounting/business/communications/other career in the state of North Carolina.

Nick

I think the same can be said about Marcus Ginyard at NC. He absolutely dominated the WCAC (Washington Catholic Athletic Conference) without really even trying. When he wanted to score, he took it to the hoop and scored. Was a 5 star prospect.

He goes to NC and has to play in the shadow of TH and Lawson, and even Green and ellington who feel that they should be go to guys. His job really is defense and the full court pass to start the fast break. The Washington Post did a column on the final four and he was ranked dead last in NBA potential.

If Curry played for KU or NC, would he be able to play over guys like collins, chalmers, green, ellington.....I do not know, he will end up in the NBA now, but without being the go to guy at davidson, he would have probably enjoyed a successful accounting/business/communications/other career in the state of North Carolina.

Nick

It is kind of like the now common cliche that the only person who could stop Michael Jordan from scoring during his entire collegiate and pro career was Dean Smith. I think Dean Smith was the indirect cause of the firing of a few scouts with the Trail Blazers.

bad boyz for life

diddy,

I don't think you could compare Ryan Robertson with Hughes. There was zero chance of robertson going pro straight from high school. Besides, he no longer would would have been the "star" once Hughes arrived anyway. I'm not so sure he would have developed a better NBA game under Spoon anyway.

From Peegs

Heading to junior college doesn't necessarily make a signed letter of intent null and void as 6-foot-9, 270-pound Josh Harrellson learned this past year. Coming out of St. Charles High near St. Louis, the post player signed with Western Illinois but instead made the decision last fall to head to Southwestern Illinois College (SWIC), a nearby school known for producing some of the best junior college talent in the country.

SWIC is the same program that sent Indiana forward Lance Stemler two years ago. Ironically back then Stemler chose the Hoosiers over Marquette, turning down then Golden Eagle coach Tom Crean. Now at Indiana, Crean has been in touch with Harrellson and renewed acquaintances with SWIC head coach Jay Harrington. The Blue Storm coach told Crean the saga of Harrellson's situation with the letter of intent he signed with Western Illinois back in the fall of 2006 during his senior year of high school.

"He was just released about five days ago," said Harrington. "He has what they call a partial release."

Many prospects head to junior college after not qualifying for Division One eligibility. Not qualifying releases them from the letter of intent. But in Harrellson's case he was always qualified and therefore the two year binding agreement with his LOI still stands.

"Anyone that has wanted to speak with him has had to have their compliance officer call the compliance officer at Western Illinois and then Western Illinois has given them either a yes or no," said Harrington.

The coach says Western Illinois has been given the list of what appears to be his final list of eight schools. That includes Indiana as well as Kentucky, Purdue, Missouri, St. Louis, Iowa, Iowa State and Ohio State.

"We turned down Washington State, Nebraska called today, Gonzaga called yesterday. Everybody could be in on him. My understanding is there is just not a lot of premier big guys left in the country."

An added bonus for any school is the fact that unlike most junior college players looking to move on to college next fall, Harrellson is just a freshman. That means he'll have three years of eligibility at his eventual destination.

"He came in here at 6-foot-9 and 270 pounds," said Harrington. "He is mobile, great hands. Medium range shooting ability but better in the post. He didn't have a lot of great work ethic and I think we have sort of turned him around."

In high school in St. Charles the post player averaged about 19 points, 10 rebounds and seven blocked shots per game.

"He was in a league that wasn't real good and got overlooked," said Harrington. "He had not played the game but about five years. Now the kid is a pretty darn good player."

This winter Harrellson averaged about 15 points and eight rebounds per game for the Blue Storm. SWIC was a loaded team that won 27 games and was ranked throughout the season. They were led by Minnesota signee Devron Bostick, a first-team All-American.

"That is our eighth All-American in seven years," said Harrington. "15 points (for Harrellson) doesn't sound like a lot of points but we had six guys in double figures. Devron only averaged 18 and he was a first team All-American."

Narrowing things down from the eight finalists won't be easy for Harrellson.

"He has committed to at least two visits," said Harrington. "That means three might have to be told no. But for right now I know he is going to visit Kentucky and St. Louis. He may have some other visits that he is trying to set up."

The coach believes offers are on the table from all finalists.

"He is a true post player who can step out," said the coach. "We let him shoot three or four threes this year. He is getting better with that and really has a nice mid-range. He needs to work on individual moves, work on his dribbling, some of those things. But he can really run for his size."