Are you ready for the next Rickma non-story

brianstl

I hate what the world is coming to. I hate that people need to watch everything they say for fear of articles like this. It's Rick being Rick. I would much rather somebody be up front and candid than contstanly hiding behind a PC curtain. Rick wasn't being hateful. He treats people equal. He makes a joke...so what. He makes fat jokes at himself all the time.

He's buds with some of the wealthiest Mormons out there. Some of his closest friends are Mormon. I'm sure they can take a joke. I hate that people can't have personality. Why does everybody need to be "sensitive". If you don't like what he says, then don't support SLU and don't send your kid here.

This is worthless. Sorry if this offends any Mormons on the board, but I'm not ever running for public office, and Mormonism doesn't count. Any religion from the past 200 years doesn't count. It's a hell of a lot better than Scientology and its ilk, but I kind of lump them all together. Magic underwear is HILARIOUS.

Joseph Smith was called a prophet DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM!

He started the Mormon religion DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM!

I heard this on 1380 this morning, they all said it was a non story but if ESPN gets their hands on it this will become a big issue. When Majerus made the comment Patrick was laughing. This a non issue. I wish I had some magic underwear last night

Marlee Matlin would ya?

This might be the weekest one ever. It is just too easy.

I heard this on 1380 this morning, they all said it was a non story but if ESPN gets their hands on it this will become a big issue. When Majerus made the comment Patrick was laughing. This a non issue. I wish I had some magic underwear last night

Geez Rick, I really luv the guy for where he taking SLU BB. I just hope he makes it those 5-6 years with us but I am afraid one of these days he is just going to go too far and they are going to have to let him go.

Please Rick, if you are reading this, show some common sense when you open your mouth in a public forum.

This is worthless. Sorry if this offends any Mormons on the board, but I'm not ever running for public office, and Mormonism doesn't count. Any religion from the past 200 years doesn't count. It's a hell of a lot better than Scientology and its ilk, but I kind of lump them all together. Magic underwear is HILARIOUS.

Joseph Smith was called a prophet DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM!

He started the Mormon religion DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM!

Oh, and I'm singling out the polygamist sects of Mormonism. That's DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM. Anyone that believes in God is okie dokie w/ me. I don't care if some drunk harlot drew a comic book about Jesus or if Moses pissed some unbelievable passage in the snow - I can't prove it's THE TRUF so I'm just going to keep believing in a very vague yet awesome version of God. My version. And yours.

Geez Rick, I really luv the guy for where he taking SLU BB. I just hope he makes it those 5-6 years with us but I am afraid one of these days he is just going to go too far and they are going to have to let him go.

Please Rick, if you are reading this, show some common sense when you open your mouth in a public forum.

It could be worse. Our players could be running around the city punching their girlfriends, beating someone with a shotgun, or starting a brawl over some chicken wings...

While I agree this is a non story. Rickma has to accept the fact he may be SLU's most visible representative these days. As such, he's got to be somewhat guarded in his statements. Especially about another religion. If the BYU coach had come out and said something like, "well, SLU's going to need a lot of that magic water sprinkled on their heads to win this game", you can bet there would be an uproar. Again, this will be a non story by Monday, but still he's got to be careful.

"What would you do if someone, like Majerus, made a comment about your race or your religion? I’m guessing you would have that same reaction. You may even call for the termination of that person."

No, I wouldn't. This is a free country. And it's not like no one has ever poked fun at Catholics for a variety of reasons.

"He has misrepresented the Catholic Church on at least one occasion. And now he has mocked an very sacred belief of the Latter-day Saints."

Dude, it's MAGIC UNDERWEAR. Quite possibly the most mockable religious relic EVAR.

"In both of those situations, by association, he has shed bad light upon SLU."

Nah.

"We live in a time when such bigotry and prejudice should not exist."

Sing with me now: I'm start-ing with the man in the mirror. I'm asking him to make a change...

I go to Salt Lake alot. One of the standard jokes I hear is that Salt Lake's African-American population triples when the Jazz are in town. Now, I didn'tmake that up, I'm just atelling what I've heard. The point being is that no one is immune from these types of sensitivities. I also had a friend who lived and worked in Utah for about 8 years. he was Protestant and his wife was Jewish ----- the stories he tells about Mormon kids shunning his kids, coming to their house and constantly trying to "convert" them, inability to get a loan from the local bank because there were non-LDS. Mormons don't drink or make coffee for crying out loud. Coffee! But its their choice ---- who's not eating MEAT today???? Lighthen up world. Political correctness will be the death of us all. Beanies? Ragtops? Towel heads? Turn the other cheek but not until you sue the crap out of them.

My most vivid memory in Salt Lake was going to Temple Square Mall across the street from THEE Mormon Temple. I was with a life-long Utahn and she was a devote Mormon. First I ever heard about the underwear thing. She was gorgeous as well. I recall that trip because she was literally standing and drooling in front of, all stores, a Victoria's Secret. To make matters worse, I have the "Angels" credit card in my wallet. I'll always remember that one.

A Mormon from St. Louis who commented as Anonymous at the bleacherreport article..

"As a Mormon, I can laugh off Majerus' comments because I have better things to do with my life. However, I don't agree with the mainstream media (Big 3 Networks, CNN et.al.) ignoring specific groups (Mormons, Mitt Romney's campaign) while overtly favoring certain people (Obama, Hillary) and ethnic groups (African-Americans = Imus, Ferraro and Rev. Wright racial comments are fodder for nightly news). I mean, if I didn't know any better, from watching recent media reports, I'd think there were only two kinds of people in America, white and black. What about all the other ethnic (Latinos, Asians, Native Americans are American too) and religious groups (Jews, Muslims, Mormons are important people too) that are going about their business to earn a living and live the American Dream?

To be specific, the reason the media ignores Mormon sentiment is because Mormons have not made an issue about it. We have quietly, peacefully and even honorably cast such attacks aside and forgiven others and pressed on. We don't harbor hatred and seek retribution nor repudiation. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and we just aren't squeaking enough because not enough is at stake. Perhaps in the near future, since we are dragged into the spotlight a lot lately, we will have to speak up more in self-defense.

I also live in St. Louis and heard this on the radio. I doubt this will cause more than a ripple outside of the STL area. This country has more important issues to deal with, like fixing the Race in America problem, electing the next President and finishing the Iraq war the right way. Whomever is fortunate to be the next President, be sure that Mormons will honor that person."

A Mormon from St. Louis who commented as Anonymous at the bleacherreport article..

"As a Mormon, I can laugh off Majerus' comments because I have better things to do with my life. However, I don't agree with the mainstream media (Big 3 Networks, CNN et.al.) ignoring specific groups (Mormons, Mitt Romney's campaign) while overtly favoring certain people (Obama, Hillary) and ethnic groups (African-Americans = Imus, Ferraro and Rev. Wright racial comments are fodder for nightly news). I mean, if I didn't know any better, from watching recent media reports, I'd think there were only two kinds of people in America, white and black. What about all the other ethnic (Latinos, Asians, Native Americans are American too) and religious groups (Jews, Muslims, Mormons are important people too) that are going about their business to earn a living and live the American Dream?

To be specific, the reason the media ignores Mormon sentiment is because Mormons have not made an issue about it. We have quietly, peacefully and even honorably cast such attacks aside and forgiven others and pressed on. We don't harbor hatred and seek retribution nor repudiation. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and we just aren't squeaking enough because not enough is at stake. Perhaps in the near future, since we are dragged into the spotlight a lot lately, we will have to speak up more in self-defense.

I also live in St. Louis and heard this on the radio. I doubt this will cause more than a ripple outside of the STL area. This country has more important issues to deal with, like fixing the Race in America problem, electing the next President and finishing the Iraq war the right way. Whomever is fortunate to be the next President, be sure that Mormons will honor that person."

Sorry but Mitt was not ignored he was given the same platform Obama has had and has not attracted the crowd or performed when he should have. His speech on mormonism was incomplete and lacked the information supporters were yearning for, his chance to present a case for himself as a leader fell to the wayside. The media gave him his chance, he just failed.

Oh, and I'm singling out the polygamist sects of Mormonism. That's DUM DUM DUM DUM DUM. Anyone that believes in God is okie dokie w/ me. I don't care if some drunk harlot drew a comic book about Jesus or if Moses pissed some unbelievable passage in the snow - I can't prove it's THE TRUF so I'm just going to keep believing in a very vague yet awesome version of God. My version. And yours.

I can only assume you are drinking very heavily on this Good Friday afternoon. This is some of the most ignorant stuff I have seen on this board.

I can only assume you are drinking very heavily on this Good Friday afternoon. This is some of the most ignorant stuff I have seen on this board.

That post was from 9:56 AM, according to this forum. Maybe I was drinking very heavily this afternoon. In the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, apparently.

I think it's ignorant to believe that angels float around in the forest carrying gold plates covered in fairy tales. The Ten Commandments are probably ######, too. They're great rules to live by, but God didn't write 'em. The only rules God ever wrote, he put in your chest, and your internal bull**** censor goes off when you break/bend one of 'em.

Keep on truckin', man, ain't nobody gonna hold me down. (oh no) I got to keep on movin'... Have a happy Easter.