Cotto

NextYearBill

Earlier in the week, I heard Bob Ramsey and Frank C talking about Cotto. Ramsey said that some of the basketball people he has been talking too say that RC is the best point guard prospect they have seen in the St. Louis area in the last 20 years. Any thoughts on this?

I would bet the house that RC commits in the next 2 weeks to SLU.

And apparently they check out this board, because I wrote earlier on this board that if they are going to take info from my site they should at least attribute it to the source.

I guess one out of two this time isn't too bad.

Do the same guys run this site http://illinoishsbasketball.com/index.php?...25&Itemid=1, because your stuff is getting picked up again. Great work Nate!

it is my opinion that all of us should always just stay out of recruiting. if we know of a player that we think is worthy, send an e-mail to our coaches and let them handle it.

i watched kevin lisch from the time he was 6 years old and never once approached him about slu. i might have made a "look good in blue" comment once in a blue moon when in the midst of talking to the family about other things, but for the most part i felt it was soderberg's job to do and felt all i could do was more harm than good.

what might seem like an innocent helpful gesture, could easily be a horrible move that only does more harm than good.

just my opinion. but rickma gets paid big bucks to handle this in his way in his time.

Totally agree.

Earlier in the week, I heard Bob Ramsey and Frank C talking about Cotto. Ramsey said that some of the basketball people he has been talking too say that RC is the best point guard prospect they have seen in the St. Louis area in the last 20 years. Any thoughts on this?

lisch was a better high school player. cotto is very very good. but not even close defensively and i think kevin also had the better mid range game as a high schooler.

cotto is randy pulley's body, claggett shooter and an h waldman passer.

btw, cotto made a last second three pointer last night to beat highly ranked edwardsville last night on alton's last home game of the year.

lisch was a better high school player. cotto is very very good. but not even close defensively and i think kevin also had the better mid range game as a high schooler.

cotto is randy pulley's body, claggett shooter and an h waldman passer.

btw, cotto made a last second three pointer last night to beat highly ranked edwardsville last night on alton's last home game of the year.

Is Cotto as good offensively as Kevin was in high school?

not even close. cotto has a lot to learn about defense. i would bet a trip to slu would mean he'd be in rickma's woodshed quite often.

I'd say no. Lisch could score anywhere on the court, including taking it to the hole. Cotto has a hard time taking it to the hole in the halfcourt set without turning it over. His shooting percentage from the field is inflated due to a lot of layups he converts after ripping some poor kid in the backcourt.

I think I see where this best point guard prospect in the last 20 years stuff is coming from. When you're 6 foot tall everybody automatically assumes you're first and foremost a point guard. Cotto's no more a pure point guard than Kevin Lisch or Claggett or Ryan Robertson were and all those guys were as good or better. But so what if he's "only" Claggett? We'd all take that in a heartbeat.

Hey Roy, I'm interested to know who you think was better offensively?

kevin lisch was the better all around offensive player at that stage. cotto probably has more range, but kevin had the better mid range game. i will say i never saw kevin throw some of the passes that i have seen cotto make. but at althoff, kevin wasnt asked to pass much either. everyone knew he was going to score.

Do the same guys run this site http://illinoishsbasketball.com/index.php?...25&Itemid=1, because your stuff is getting picked up again. Great work Nate!

Poneman is a 16 year old high school kid. He gets out to lots of games and knows lots of players. I don't agree with a lot of his stuff (Verdell Jones is anything but a sharpshooter, for example), but he does his own groundwork.

Poneman is a 16 year old high school kid. He gets out to lots of games and knows lots of players. I don't agree with a lot of his stuff (Verdell Jones is anything but a sharpshooter, for example), but he does his own groundwork.

More on Cotto. Don't know if this was posted.

Cotto

More on Cotto. Don't know if this was posted.

Cotto

Note:

Multiple sources have informed us that if Cotto decides to prop at a D1 school next season, that in all likelihood it will be at St. Louis University. With that being said, these same sources have indicated that it will be virtually impossible for Cotto to qualify academically, as he has not even taken his ACT as of yet. Therefore, there is also a possibility that Cotto could wind up at a JUCO next season, and several high-profile JUCOs are vying for Cotto's services.

PUERTO RICO

Puerto Rico has a duo of nice guards that can break you down off the dribble and shoot the lights out of the three. Melvin Rivera is a speedy player with a spot-on shot who’s open as soon as he steps off the bus. You will be seeing his deadly stroke for the Puerto Rican Olympic team at some point, along with his even deadlier counterpart, Ruben Cotto. His 46 point performance against USA Team #5 pretty much tells the story. A connoisseur of the skills trifecta of dribbling, passing and shooting, Ruben is deadly off the dribble and the best player on the Puerto Rican team.

This is a tournament that featured Tyreke Evans, Samardo Samuels, Demar Derozen and a ton of other D1 super recruits

PUERTO RICO

Puerto Rico has a duo of nice guards that can break you down off the dribble and shoot the lights out of the three. Melvin Rivera is a speedy player with a spot-on shot who’s open as soon as he steps off the bus. You will be seeing his deadly stroke for the Puerto Rican Olympic team at some point, along with his even deadlier counterpart, Ruben Cotto. His 46 point performance against USA Team #5 pretty much tells the story. A connoisseur of the skills trifecta of dribbling, passing and shooting, Ruben is deadly off the dribble and the best player on the Puerto Rican team.

This is a tournament that featured Tyreke Evans, Samardo Samuels, Demar Derozen and a ton of other D1 super recruits

Wow. Even those BASTARD A-10 REFS won't be able to piss on our game next year. I hope we lock Cotto up and he pulls through on his end as well.

Guest BillikenReport

I don't know why it would be "virtually impossible" simply because he hasn't taken the ACT yet because he can still take it in April and again in June.

Ruben seems like a bright kid, but the language barrier will be tough with the ACT. I would think SLU could do something to help him prepare for the test, but that can't happen until he commits.

Ruben seems like a bright kid, but the language barrier will be tough with the ACT. I would think SLU could do something to help him prepare for the test, but that can't happen until he commits.

nate, you think that if cotto gives a verbal commit slu is allowed to assist him with his high school academics/act preparation?

i would be shocked if such is allowed.

nate, you think that if cotto gives a verbal commit slu is allowed to assist him with his high school academics/act preparation?

i would be shocked if such is allowed.

I believe that the last two test dates are after the start of the NLOI period. That being said, I hope he is already working on his ACT prep and isn't counting on SLU's help.

As a private school, as long as it is at least equal to the NCAA minimum requirement it doesn't matter. I think if they want a kid to get in and he gets a 19 on his ACT they will take him.

I think D1 uses a sliding scale now, so a lower ACT score can be offset by a GPA (I may be wrong in my interpretation of this). That said, isn't the bare minimum 18 (total of 72)? It's a 68, or 17 average, for Division II.

http://www.nats.us/player_zone/eligibility/clearinghouse.asp