Wow.....Floyd Irons was doing more than I ever thought

brianstl

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those Hill brothers can really play too. I'm surprised people really questioned if those 2 guys were D1 material. Both will be juniors next year. Johnny at SEMO, and Bobby back at Illinois State.

That's your response? Wow V! I didn't think even you could be that mind meltingly oblivious to Floyd's foibles. Yep those Hill Brothers were a terrific investment for Floyd. Best team money could buy.

Your atittude is revolting......

That's your response? Wow V! I didn't think even you could be that mind meltingly oblivious to Floyd's foibles. Yep those Hill Brothers were a terrific investment for Floyd. Best team money could buy.

Your atittude is revolting......

Revolting? Really? I'm just responding to all the flack I got when I joined this board in May 2005 about those two not being that good and not being D1. If you're revolted by that, then so be it.

Vashon may have been the scourge of Missouri High School basektball --- I don't think there is any dispute of that in the noted time frame. I also don't think there is any doubt as to just how dirty it all was. Ninth graders from Illinois getting their own apartment and all paid for. I don't know how one can take the opposite side of the argument that it was all good and clean but have at it if you so desire. Irons' spin is expected --- what a great human being. How many 4-foot-two-inch kids did he pay for? Must ahve been a method, a limit to his largess. I can't help but wonder why.

It may be Division 1 and I'll give you that ..... but short of Bonner and maybe McKinney, not much else crawled out of the slime of the near north side and did much. And intentions to go back to Illinois State don't mean much until you actually get there.

The machine that was Vashon almost sounds a lot like the machine that is Duke. Duke dominates their level pretty well. But Chapel Hill seems to have more of their kids make it at "the next" level. Reddick can't get off the bench in Orlando. Whatever happen to Sheldon Williams? The best Dookie, Grant Hill, has a better known legacy as an injury case than anything else. Didn't you used to be Bobby Hurley? Michael Jordan. Vince Carter. Rasheed Wallace. Jerry Stackhouse. Sam Perkins. James Worhty. It happens everywhere. Vashon's an interesting footnote in a boring basketball state. And it was done in the mud and the slime that is Floyd Irons. Oh well .....

Vashon may have been the scourge of Missouri High School basektball --- I don't think there is any dispute of that in the noted time frame. I also don't think there is any doubt as to just how dirty it all was. Ninth graders from Illinois getting their own apartment and all paid for. I don't know how one can take the opposite side of the argument that it was all good and clean but have at it if you so desire. Irons' spin is expected --- what a great human being. How many 4-foot-two-inch kids did he pay for? Must ahve been a method, a limit to his largess. I can't help but wonder why.

It may be Division 1 and I'll give you that ..... but short of Bonner and maybe McKinney, not much else crawled out of the slime of the near north side and did much. And intentions to go back to Illinois State don't mean much until you actually get there.

The machine that was Vashon almost sounds a lot like the machine that is Duke. Duke dominates their level pretty well. But Chapel Hill seems to have more of their kids make it at "the next" level. Reddick can't get off the bench in Orlando. Whatever happen to Sheldon Williams? The best Dookie, Grant Hill, has a better known legacy as an injury case than anything else. Didn't you used to be Bobby Hurley? Michael Jordan. Vince Carter. Rasheed Wallace. Jerry Stackhouse. Sam Perkins. James Worhty. It happens everywhere. Vashon's an interesting footnote in a boring basketball state. And it was done in the mud and the slime that is Floyd Irons. Oh well .....

elton brand and shane battier are two very successful players.

Guest BillikenReport

Revolting? Really? I'm just responding to all the flack I got when I joined this board in May 2005 about those two not being that good and not being D1. If you're revolted by that, then so be it.

V,

You also said several other players on that team would be D-1 and weren't. Where are Raymond Harrell, Benjamin Adams and Alburey Doss (he's got three stars!) playing these days?

Floyd may have helped get the Hill brothers opportunities to play college basketball, but consider Johnny had to prop 48 at SEMO because of his academics and Bobby had to leave Illinois State to go to a JUCO for similar reasons, he didn't do much to help them get ready for academics in college.

I wonder if they got to keep that apartment as long as they needed it, or just while they were playing at the V. Maybe that's what he was trying to do with the million dollar houses .... create a large retirement home for ex V players.

All hail Saint Irons

V,

You also said several other players on that team would be D-1 and weren't. Where are Raymond Harrell, Benjamin Adams and Alburey Doss (he's got three stars!) playing these days?

Floyd may have helped get the Hill brothers opportunities to play college basketball, but consider Johnny had to prop 48 at SEMO because of his academics and Bobby had to leave Illinois State to go to a JUCO for similar reasons, he didn't do much to help them get ready for academics in college.

I never said Harrell and Adams were going D1. I said Doss had a chance if he could build upon what he did in Georgia. Harrell is at Penn Valley and still has a chance at D1, because he's 6'8 and a small D1 might take a chance on him. Nate, you have also said kids weren't going D1, that will be going D1 like Anthony James, so dont act like you're always right. Doss is at Langston redshirting. He will be eligible to play next year, there or elsewhere. I personally hope he stays down there all 5 years and then moves on overseas. And you definitely can't blame me for guys not going D1. because of their grades or scores. i didn't teach one class. Also, Nate, you've been in this business long enough to know that there's a lot more that goes in to going D1 than talent. For a lot of guys, its who your AAU coach or high school coach has connections with etc.

I'm referring to your lack of any response to your hero's admission of pay for play. That doesn't bother you at all? The hills being low level D1 athletes is really beside the point.

You are something V. Not quite sure what though.....

I'm referring to your lack of any response to your hero's admission of pay for play. That doesn't bother you at all? The hills being low level D1 athletes is really beside the point.

Standard operating procedure for vtime, don't respond to the main point and go off on a tangent on a point irrelevant to the main call of the thread.

Rich, I too was astounded at that response. I think if you asked V whether he'd rather have his son play for Anthony Bonner or Floyd Irons, he'd still say something like "it depends on whether he's a forward or guard". V knows his basketball, but I'm afraid he's pretty shallow otherwise.

Those Hill brothers can really play too. I'm surprised people really questioned if those 2 guys were D1 material. Both will be juniors next year. Johnny at SEMO, and Bobby back at Illinois State.

incredible response to one of the most disgusting confessions in high school basketball in history.

Irons is scum; glad he was finally exposed, sad that he was allowed to harm the sport for so long.

BUT, how could you, in any way, compare Duke to Vashon?

I see the point you attempt to make, but it is convoluted / ass-backwards / female logic at best.

Coach K has class, runs a class program, with class athletes, in a top 10 academic school, and Duke basketball usually in the top 10, and has won several titles.

No comparison.

Guest BillikenReport

He's not my hero, and this isnt new news.

If this isn't new news, why is this the top story on the front page of the Sunday edition of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch?

That is one of the most asinine comments you have ever made V. I'm tired of this "Basketball will get me out of the hood" argument because so will education and hard work in the classroom.

nate you are right on the mark with this. my biggest b!tch about floyd is the fact that he took kids out of better academic situations and put them in one of the worst high schools in america. it would be different if he was the coach at country day and took the inner city kid and really helped him by providing a higher quality education. but the truth is typically the opposite.

alton isnt country day, but it is a hell of a lot better situation for the hills to have gone to high school than vashon was.

i hope floyd goes to jail a long long long long time. put him in the same cell with michael devlin. they both messed up enough kids lives. they deserve each other.

He's not my hero, and this isnt new news. He plead guilty long ago. I'm not applauding his actions, I just dont see how bashing him is going to prove anything.

However, V, this is new news. "He's not my hero..I'm not applauding"...that's pretty tepid. Step up for a change. Irons has absolutely no redeeming virtues...none! And all of his self-righteous, race card-pulling crap looks very embarrassing now, don't you agree? He deserves everything he's getting.

Its not about personal feelings. I represent the entire STL HOOPS INSIDER organization and I can't just go around bashing coaches. I wouldn't bash ANY area coach. We promote the area, not destroy it. Bash me all you want. Call me revolting or anything else you want. It happens anyway, in most every thread I post in. Usually moytoy. Why should this one be any different. Its not important. I'll continue to provide my insights and opinions on players and their abilities, which is all I did in my initial post that's being bashed.

Its not about personal feelings. I represent the entire STL HOOPS INSIDER organization and I can't just go around bashing coaches. I wouldn't bash ANY area coach. We promote the area, not destroy it. Bash me all you want. Call me revolting or anything else you want. It happens anyway, in most every thread I post in. Usually moytoy. Why should this one be any different. Its not important. I'll continue to provide my insights and opinions on players and their abilities, which is all I did in my initial post that's being bashed.

Your initial post is being bashed for its utter ridiculousness in response to the initial post of the thread. My only problem is that you continually post non-sequitor responses. It's just kind of annoying, but please, continue doing your thang.

I never said Harrell and Adams were going D1. I said Doss had a chance if he could build upon what he did in Georgia. Harrell is at Penn Valley and still has a chance at D1, because he's 6'8 and a small D1 might take a chance on him. Nate, you have also said kids weren't going D1, that will be going D1 like Anthony James, so dont act like you're always right. Doss is at Langston redshirting. He will be eligible to play next year, there or elsewhere. I personally hope he stays down there all 5 years and then moves on overseas. And you definitely can't blame me for guys not going D1. because of their grades or scores. i didn't teach one class. Also, Nate, you've been in this business long enough to know that there's a lot more that goes in to going D1 than talent. For a lot of guys, its who your AAU coach or high school coach has connections with etc.

I never wanted to post on this board but Stl hoops insider I noticed you on several occasions throw this division 1 thing around like it is a big deal. Isn't it a big deal to get a college education no matter what level. As for the ANthony James kid you came on here several months ago and said that he and the Belgar kid from University City were sitting on tons of division 1 offers. What is the hold up in them deciding on their destination. Please let us know when they sign with a D1 school since it is a big deal with you and also let us know if they don't since you are acting like their agent.

Please again tell us your obsession with going D1 (were you a big D1 star or coach and know what it takes to get to that level) and why you promote so many area athletes as D1 stars, to make yourself look silly in the long run.

Its not a big deal, but this is a D1 message board. I think education is very important, no matter the level which is why in the thread you quoted, I said I hoped Doss would stay down there all 5 years. Also, on my website unlike others, I reported the signings of kids to schools other than D1 and D2. I did a story on the Red Bud HS star Brandon Kunkel committing to Lindenwood and I mentioned a little over a week ago, about another young man committing to Harris-Stowe. And I'll let you know when those two kids you mentioned make a decision. Also, one of those kids, also has an article on scout written by this forums own Nate Latsch about his D1 offers.