Kalicak article in Today's post

thetorch

http://prepsports.stltoday.com/ssi/prep/st...ing+for+a+match

SLU was mentioned in this article don't knwo if anyone saw it or not.

---------------------

Rumors also might have complicated matters. The local grapevine has Kalicak headed to St. Louis University as a non-scholarship walk-on.

Not true, said Kalicak, whose father simply called SLU to see if the Billikens were interested. They weren't, just as SLU wasn't interested last year in Blake Ahearn, the DeSmet shooting guard who signed with Southwest Missouri State and is one of the top marksmen in the Missouri Valley Conference and the nation for 3-pointers and free throws.

"When SLU signed Reggie Bryant last year, they no longer needed Blake," Steiner said. "SLU got crucified for that, which I think was really unfair. With college coaches, guys lose their jobs if they don't recruit the players they need. With Mike, maybe everybody's got a small forward or shooting guard already. Who knows?"

----------------

To clarify Tom Wheatley wrote this article, not our esteemed fellow poster and scribe Nate Latsch.

I don't know why all of you keep talking about TL going to a prep school - he can still come to SLU as a partial qualifier. Instead of focusing on the prep school idea try staying focused on getting him to SLU in some capacity. The kid is still trying to qualify with the ACT and you all can not seem to wait to give his scholarship away - better to make him feel wanted than simply a card to be played or discarded.

I'm not surprised everyone is talking about TL not coming here. But, a lot also say Kevin Lisch is. I think it's just emotions talking.

Let's just bring TL on. Let's go TL, get that ACT up. I don't want to sit through another year where everyone talks about the next year most of the season.

cheeseman, i am with you on not talking about it until it happens. however just fyi, besides the act test, a student/athlete must also have a certain gpa with a certain level of college prep classes. so the question is, does tommie have that? if not, then he wont even be a partial qualifier. ironically, i think if tommie doesnt graduate from east side but heads to a prep school, i believe that the ncaa will then let him use his prep school gpa for qualification purposes. thus, it actually might enhance his chances if he leaves east side and goes to a prep school for a year to qualify AND get four full seasons which he would not get as a partial qualifier.

you are correct cheeseman. however the context of the question was that if he went away to a prep school, would tommie remain loyal to slu? the reason that is a question is that the moment the fall semester starts and a signed student athlete is not in school, he then becomes a recruitable athlete immediately and the prior signed loi is null and void. thus, a trip to the east instead of coming to slu let's the wolves all in. after the senior season tommie has had, it is my guess there are a few coaches that wish they had a second chance.

tonka, dont forget though that the clock runs almost another year for a kevin lisch decision since he is only a junior in high school. tommie's time is running out in a matter of 2-3 months.

planning and doing are two different things. when one gets away from home and a whole new set of "advisors" are surrounding you, and a whole new world is in front of you on tv, the newspapers, etc. then new recruiters knock on your door telling you everything you want to hear, all the while coach brad and angres are a couple of thousand miles away instead of 4 miles away as they are now, you dont think "things" can change? i hope not, but i just hate to see the scenario even played.

I think what B-Roy is getting at is that TL becomes a recruitable athlete if he were to go the prep school route. It isn't rare for kids to commit to a different school than the one they originally signed with before going the prep school route - I know in football Plaxico Burress did that with Florida getting the shaft for Michigan State during his prep school year.

oh i am sure tommie has an open invitation. my statement was in response to tonka whose statement made me think he was thinking lisch is the alternative to liddell. i was only pointing out that lisch isnt in the same grade scholastically as tommie is right now. and tommie's recruiting class will be closed out in may whereas kevin cant be finalized until at least november.

that's where i disagree. as far as i know, tommie can still take the act all the way up til next fall - i think they offer at least one over the summer. if that's the case, then i don't think soderberg will go after anyone else at all - can't he just save that last scholarship. it would be pointless to sign a roll player type of guard - you won't get much better than that during the summer before school starts. of course, ignore me if mu goes on probation and mckinney would be eligible to play next year for the bills.

the one thing to keep in mind is that the margin that a student/athlete misses the mark by could be vital. if a student athlete barely misses the mark on his first try, a subsequent higher score may be all he needs. however, the act and the ncaa are wary of substantially higher scores on retry's and have disallowed the results and made the student athlete retake again. not saying anything about tommie liddell or any other student's score in particular. my point only is that IF the margin below the cutoff is substantial, it actually may be fruitless to try again and it definitely would be a waste of a scholarship to wait then.

I recently heard a successful/veteran area hs coach and a small college coach discuss JBJones. Surprising to me, they both had serious concerns with JB's ability to shoot/score the ball. I thought Murkey did some good things with his AAU team at times last summer. Of the two, I would prefer Murkey, but only after looking long and hard elsewhere.

as much as i am a fan of jb jones, i am convinced that we will fill any open spots with juco(s). our sophomore class (drejaj) needs to be balanced out or else we are looking at a recruiting year in a couple of years where we can only bring in one scholarship? surely we wouldnt let ourselves get this unbalanced.

sure the juco route is hard to fill academically, but surely there is a a couple of tom frericks out there that would fill the bill.

The wolves may inquire, but all Tommie would have to do is reiterate a verbal commitment to SLU. Why do you suppose that, now that Tommie and his family have made a decision about the best place for him to play collegiate ball, they'll be willing to go through the recruiting process all over again? If it were me, there's no way I'd go through that stressful process again just because some other folks know my name.

jalensdad has assured us you are correct thicks. it is just that we dont get a shot at a player like tommie often and i keep thinking if something is going to happen it will. i guess the pessimist in me coming out. call me a nervous nelly. i dont know. i just do know that i want tommie liddell to be a billiken badly. i view tommie as the best high school recruit the billikens have signed besides hughes since monroe douglas.