I can't remember but did Guy announce the "6th man" last night?

He did not but he did mock the kids at halftime, busted out the "i smell pasta" a various points in the second half, said billiken defense when the ball was dribbled off of a RI players foot, and still cant say Kevin Lisch's name right(Kevin Leeeeesh).

I remember that. Guy called out Billiken Defense when RI dribbled the ball off their foot. I am sure that was how the was drawn up by RM. "Billiken Defense" I just wonder how much SLU pays Guy per game to do the PA.

I forgot about not having any stats until the 2nd half on the scoreboard.

One half prop is that they did recognize Tommie for his 1000th point and then they recognized Kevin for his 1000th a game late.

Looked like the frat guys moved down to sit behind the Blue Crew, which was a good move. Makes the student section look fuller.

Considering that tickets are free for students I would hope that there would be a lot more in attendance. All they have to do is go to the West Pine Gym and show their I.D. and they hand them over, you can even do it more than once for the same game. Once the game is over the bars still stay open till 3am anyways so there is not much being missed on campus as it is.

Most people in St. Louis don't know who Rhode Island is. This is one of the unfortunate drawbacks to conference hopping.

Most people in St. Louis don't know who Rhode Island is because Rhode Island hasn't been a strong program since the mid 90s to late 90s. If conference hopping was the primary culprit then St. Louisans wouldn't know who Xavier is either.

Most people in St. Louis don't know who Rhode Island is. This is one of the unfortunate drawbacks to conference hopping.

Again, SLU in the A-10 is a joke.

Yes, A-10 is as good or even better than MVC, but who cares about RI, etc? None of their players are from our area, etc, etc, etc.

Again, SLU in the A-10 is a joke.

Yes, A-10 is as good or even better than MVC, but who cares about RI, etc? None of their players are from our area, etc, etc, etc.

but you do care about evansville? or indiana state? drake? witchita?

god i bet you really love staying in those holiday inn expresses in bloomington or peoria or carbondale. and so much to do when you make those awesome road trips.

but you do care about evansville? or indiana state? drake? witchita?

god i bet you really love staying in those holiday inn expresses in bloomington or peoria or carbondale. and so much to do when you make those awesome road trips.

You miss the point completely.

Your same argument would then apply to Big 12, I guess Billikens should not get into Big 12 with Columbia, Lawrence, Ames, Omaha.

Have you ever been on a road trip for a varsity NCAA sport for a conference game? I'll bet not.

Regional rivalries are best. The thing is fans can drive to these places, MVC or Big 2, fans and players identify with the other team because they sometimes have local kids that play for them. SLU kids would have family drive up to see them... won't happen with trips to Philly, etc.

It is "in and out", no sight seeing. So for the players it is better to pop over to Peoria for Bradley than sit in airports going to RI, etc. Less school time missed. Hostile eastern refs who think SL is a cow town. Have you ever been in the east or does your Dad's business keep you in SL?

Considering that tickets are free for students I would hope that there would be a lot more in attendance. All they have to do is go to the West Pine Gym and show their I.D. and they hand them over, you can even do it more than once for the same game. Once the game is over the bars still stay open till 3am anyways so there is not much being missed on campus as it is.

They should open the free tickets up to the public (or at least alumni) until those bastard students get their shite together. If I didn't have the ten bucks to go to the game, I'd probably sell BlaSmaSemen to get in. All those assmavens have to do is hacky sack their way down to WP and pick up the freebie.

You miss the point completely.

Your same argument would then apply to Big 12, I guess Billikens should not get into Big 12 with Columbia, Lawrence, Ames, Omaha.

Have you ever been on a road trip for a varsity NCAA sport for a conference game? I'll bet not.

Regional rivalries are best. The thing is fans can drive to these places, MVC or Big 2, fans and players identify with the other team because they sometimes have local kids that play for them. SLU kids would have family drive up to see them... won't happen with trips to Philly, etc.

It is "in and out", no sight seeing. So for the players it is better to pop over to Peoria for Bradley than sit in airports going to RI, etc. Less school time missed. Hostile eastern refs who think SL is a cow town. Have you ever been in the east or does your Dad's business keep you in SL?

i didnt realize that the big 12 was a possibility. but if you want to compare conferences on that level, i'd rather be in the big east.

i have been to cincy, memphis, chicago, indianapolis, milwaukee and louisville for billiken games and conference tourney's. fyi, if so many of the billiken fans want to travel to games, that must be something new, because when we were in c-usa and had those easy travels to nice destinations that were very easy drives, (not little podunks like the mvc is comprised of) there werent too many slu fans that joined me. so dont give me the travel b.s. slu fans in general dont travel and the truth is that the mvc fans dont all that much either. our biggest home attendance games last year were unc, dayton, and xavier.

i can drive to dayton and cincy still with the a-10.

i can fly as easy as drive to many of the a-10 cities as drive to most of the mvc.

majerus has the billikens traveling to the away games on all charter flights. no missed additional study days. in fact might be harder to fly to a lot of the mvc games and get the same effect.

i agree the a-10 refs are horrible. there are problems with the a-10 and i hope the fact that bruno has been forced out is a sign the conference leadership may be waking up.

last, my dad passed away a few years ago and i decided 30 years ago not get involved in the family farm thank you, that said, my wife and the rest of my family have traveled to the east coast numerous times. so what's your point?

A SLU move to the MVC IS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN people. I wish that topic would go away. From an avid reader's perspective (as that's mainly my relationship to this board as I rarely post), nothing irks me more than hearing tired pro-MVC arguments.

Whether you (collective you) like it or not, SLU has decided to give our program the best opportunity for future growth into a major program. It may not happen for 10 years, however, when/if it does happen, a large part will be because we have decided to not move to the MVC.

And why do I get the feeling that our pro-MVC SLU fans become short-sighted when it comes to "dreaming bigger." Do you feel that defeated and harbor pessimistic emotions towards our BBall program? Sure comes off that way, at least to me....

My tired 2 cents...

i didnt realize that the big 12 was a possibility. but if you want to compare conferences on that level, i'd rather be in the big east.

i have been to cincy, memphis, chicago, indianapolis, milwaukee and louisville for billiken games and conference tourney's. fyi, if so many of the billiken fans want to travel to games, that must be something new, because when we were in c-usa and had those easy travels to nice destinations that were very easy drives, (not little podunks like the mvc is comprised of) there werent too many slu fans that joined me. so dont give me the travel b.s. slu fans in general dont travel and the truth is that the mvc fans dont all that much either. our biggest home attendance games last year were unc, dayton, and xavier.

i can drive to dayton and cincy still with the a-10.

i can fly as easy as drive to many of the a-10 cities as drive to most of the mvc.

majerus has the billikens traveling to the away games on all charter flights. no missed additional study days. in fact might be harder to fly to a lot of the mvc games and get the same effect.

i agree the a-10 refs are horrible. there are problems with the a-10 and i hope the fact that bruno has been forced out is a sign the conference leadership may be waking up.

last, my dad passed away a few years ago and i decided 30 years ago not get involved in the family farm thank you, that said, my wife and the rest of my family have traveled to the east coast numerous times. so what's your point?

Missed the point again, Big East? Brilliant response, hey at least people would have heard of GT, Syracuse, etc. But still not regional rivalries, etc. etc. We all know best would be for DePaul-ND-Xavier-Memphis type of new league in Midwest with big names, but A-10 is one of worst options, not regional and not recognized teams, etc, etc, etc. Apologize for crack about father's business, I assumed you went to DesMet or SLUH or something.

Missed the point again, Big East? Brilliant response, hey at least people would have heard of GT, Syracuse, etc. But still not regional rivalries, etc. etc. We all know best would be for DePaul-ND-Xavier-Memphis type of new league in Midwest with big names, but A-10 is one of worst options, not regional and not recognized teams, etc, etc, etc. Apologize for crack about father's business, I assumed you went to DesMet or SLUH or something.

i'm just a poor country boy from outside new athens, illinois. didnt even know a slu high or desmet existed until i got to saint louis university. that said, what would that have to do with the mvc vs a-10 debate?

so casual fans dont recognize a-10 programs even? but they know all about drake, northern iowa, evansville, indiana state and wichita? that tells me i dont want that fan as a fan. he/she would also be called an idiot.

my big east choice was in response to your throwing out the big 12.

why is geography more important than like institutions? or the fact slu is looking for more urban than agricultural rivals? or maybe the goal is to enhance the saint louis university brand in larger populated areas than cedar rapids, carbondale, peoria, wichita, etc.

where do you think slu graduates go after slu? are more likely to migrate to the big cities of the a-10 or the villages of the mvc? where will we play to a larger alumni base? that alumni base that will soon or already do have kids of their own that will want to go to college.

Most people in St. Louis don't know who Rhode Island is because Rhode Island hasn't been a strong program since the mid 90s to late 90s. If conference hopping was the primary culprit then St. Louisans wouldn't know who Xavier is either.

They have a history with XU at least. Fans knew about most of the old CUSA teams.

where do you think slu graduates go after slu? are more likely to migrate to the big cities of the a-10 or the villages of the mvc?

My best guess is they move back to the county and teach their kids that the most important question to ask someone when you first meet them is "What High School did you go to?" They then teach them that if it is anything other than one of the private catholic schools that those people are beneath them and not worth their time. :)

Please understand that I am being sarcastic (kinda).

My best guess is they move back to the county and teach their kids that the most important question to ask someone when you first meet them is "What High School did you go to?" They then teach them that if it is anything other than one of the private catholic schools that those people are beneath them and not worth their time. :)

Please understand that I am being sarcastic (kinda).

Very inciting insight. Aptly observed as well. You forgot the responses:

Catholic: "Oh, really!?!?"

Not Catholic: "Oh."

Very inciting insight. Aptly observed as well. You forgot the responses:

Catholic: "Oh, really!?!?"

Not Catholic: "Oh."

It is one of the dumber STL quirks. It makes newcomers to the area sometimes feel unwelcomed. It can make the area look small time and people think you are stuck wanting to relive your high school glories. I am saying that as a native who graduated from one of those schools.