Did Ian Emerge?

TheA_Bomb

Was I right when I posted:

"Maybe this is a blessing in disguise. Maybe Ian will emerge tomorrow with his extended minutes and JJ could as well."

He had a good game 9 pts. 4-11 FG 1-2 FT 5 reb (1off) 1 AST 1 TO 2 PF in 26 min.

Plus I think we see a trend of quality passing underneath when Ian and Izik are playing together. I have noticed before that they play well together.

JJ only had 1 minute so he didn't emerge.

I don't think this game is an anomaly IO, IV, and TF are quality front court players. If JJ would step it up I think we will be good for next year also with Husak in the wings.

Could we see SLU go big IV, TF, IO, RB, JF line ups?

Ian emerged big time in the first half and the first few minutes of the second half. I think he had 9 point and looked good on the offensive end. In the second half, he faded as I am sure he was tired not having played that many minutes before. Also, the announcers stated that the Billikens practiced for 1 hour (at full speed) at 9 am this morning. I was very surprised to hear that.

I was surprised to hear about the 1 hr. of practice as well. Is that smart to do knowing that you are already short-handed with injuries? Mike Kelly (former UW B.S. player) said it was ok. I don't agree. I am not a coach but I would have a light practice if I had one at all.

-Martin Iti (the starting centered for Charlotte) was considered by many experts to be the top freshman center recruit. Ian clearly outplayed him--proof that player rankings don't necessarily mean a thing.

-Ian had an excellent first half. Late in the second half, he tired, and his shot fell short. Nonetheless, most of the offensive moves he displayed in the second half were better than anything we ever saw from Chris Heinrich or Kenny Brown.

-Ian passes the ball from the post as good as any post man I have seen at SLU.

-In his postgame radio interview, Coach said the he is estatic to have a high quality center like Ian for four years in his program.

-Next year, I would start Ian at center and Tom at power forward. That would solve two problems and would allow Husak, JJ, and a yet to be named recruit to come off the bench. Many of us have been begging for a 6'8"/6'9" strong and athletic power forward who loves to rebound. Why not Tom?

>>-Next year, I would start Ian at center and Tom at power forward. That would solve two problems and would allow Husak, JJ, and a yet to be named recruit to come off the bench. Many of us have been begging for a 6'8"/6'9" strong and athletic power forward who loves to rebound. Why not Tom?<<

That's fine if the opposing PF is a low post player. It's not fine if the PF has a game away from the basket ... as many do in CUSA. Tom is not mobile enough to guard anybody quicker than Ross Varner away from the basket. Also, Tom has no shot outside of 5' feet. It would be nice to have a PF who has some modicum of range. Tom is a great low post player but his utility really drops off away from the basket. I'll take your idea as one of the looks that we can throw at opposing teams but I wouldn't like to see it as our base setup.

I also thought that against certain teams who have two big inside players that we could play Ian and Tom at the same time. They would give us a true twin towers offense and Ian is a great passer and has a nice outside touch so he could alternate to the high post and hit Tom on the low blocks.

The way to solve the matchup issues would be to play IO against teams with a more mobile 4 man. He did a great job today on defense against Withers.

As I left today, my feeling was that I now feel much, much better about next year!!!

During the game at Charlotte, Tom proved to be one of our few post players who could actually guard Charlottes athletic forwards away from the basket. I'm not worried about having a power forward who can shoot from outside. I think we need a guy who can clean the glass and finish all the bunnies.

After the DePaul loss on Wednesday, the coaching staff was evidently looking to just try something different and to avoid another poor second half.

Thursday's practice was light, sort of typical after a game the previous night. Friday's practice was limited to watching film and an optional casual shoot-around. Evidently on game day they went from a normal, casual, early morning shoot-around to working up a good sweat. Whatever......

IO should play 30 - 35 minutes a game at the 3. CS at the four if the opponent is more of a mobile outside player and TF if he is an inside player ... either way IO needs to be on the floor. He is very effective when he gets the ball within 10 feet of the basket.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

>>Tom proved to be one of our few post players who could actually guard Charlottes athletic forwards away from the basket.<<

You must have been watching a separate game than me. I don't him see guard players away from the basket, he always sags and gives the opposition tons of space out near the 3 line. Now that could be what he is told to do by Brad but that is what I see (so maybe he has it in him but we have not seen it yet). I have never, ever seen Tom guard anyone but the opposing center.

During the first matchup between the teams, Lutz essentially pulled Iti in favor or smaller, but stronger forwards. While Varner and Ian were burnt on several ocassions attempting to guard these guys outside the paint (typically along the baseline), Tom held his own. I distinctly remember being impressed by Tom's defensive quickness relative to Ian and Ross.

playing frericks and ian together sure is an interesting thought. plus if husak can give us 10-15 capable minutes and jj the same, you are correct, it solves some uncertainties. that said, i have not seen any out court skills at all from tom and i think most quality pf's can shoot 15-20 feet and do some driving to the basket. still it is better than nothing.

ian was a pleasant surprise yesterday imo. he knew where he was. showed some poise and confidence. made good decisions. i just wish he was faster. his whole game seems to be played in slow motion. get him in shape and he might be a gem.

one thing is for sure, he was the far better player between him and iti imo. and like david said, iti came in extremely highly ranked as a player.

if you are talking about pickford or clemmons, they are the same type player as frericks. but i dont think frericks would have the same "success" vs basden or withers and that is the matchup that is in question.

The biggest positive I took out of the Charlotte game was the play of Ian. It was damn impressive for a guy we picked up so late in the recruiting cycle. He's huge with soft hands around the basket and the ability to make smart interior passes. As Roy states, he's not quick with his moves but he is so big and strong that he just plain overpowers the smaller centers which more and more popular D-1 these days. This kid is 18 and is reported to weigh 270. My mind keep projecting him down the road at 6'11", 300 with some strength in the upper body (from hitting the weights in the summer) ... I like to dream!

I can remember 3 passes yesterday betweeen Izik and Ian down low in traffic that resulted in easy baskets. Their games really compliment each other. I know alot of you guys do not think Izik has the strength for PF put he played some center yesterday against Charlotte and faired well. I like Izik much, much more 10 feet and in with the ball in his hands. Put another 5-10 pounds on him over the summer and really think he shall be a solid PF for us. If the opposing team happens to have a real masher at PF (a 250+ guy), then we can move Tom out to PF and play Ian at center as David and others wish to see.

When I saw Izik last year at Charlotte and Greenville, he looked like a punching bag underneath. This year it is almost a total opposite. He really holds his own quite nicely now. It is very obvious on how hard he had to worked in the weight room this past summer. Now, if Ian can do that and improve his quickness, I think he will be tremendous underneath. Fortunately, he has 3 years of eligibility left.

what ian needs to do is change his dimensions. not his weight. the weight he carries is probably idea. now move some of that mid section and backside up to his shoulders and you got quite the specimen.