Winning now

SLUMS81

RM has stated many times that he is coaching this year's team for the future, and that he would coach differently if he wanted to win now. The players probably have been told this as well.

I don't like watching a program lay groundwork for future years at the expense of the current season's won-loss record any more than anyone else. Maybe we just need to accept reality at this point.

RM has stated many times that he is coaching this year's team for the future, and that he would coach differently if he wanted to win now. The players probably have been told this as well.

I don't like watching a program lay groundwork for future years at the expense of the current season's won-loss record any more than anyone else. Maybe we just need to accept reality at this point.

What does lossing has to do with MJ? The players simply suck, they can not shoot the ball, they can not rebound, they can not defense. They can not even cover one to one.

you're a treat.

Yea I completely agree bluecrew. How can you justify your comments that the players simply are no good. You have arguably the best or 2nd best backcourt in the conference in TL and KL (XU's is pretty formidable as well). And you return 4 starters from a team that won 20 games. Granted we lost IV, but I don't agree with all those who believe that this loss was especially devastating (definitely shouldn't cost us more than 2 wins max). Let's keep in mind the terrible season that IV had last year. Yes, he was a very good player his junior year, but last year he was simply mediocre. Also, how do you factor in the fact that this team was looking decent up until the Kent St. debacle. Do you honestly think a team that lacks ability can keep up with Pitt, the 9th best team in the country?

Man hopefully the faculty over at SLU is starting to regret the departure of Brad Soderberg. I sure hate it for the players, but as for the people that made that dumb decision I am loving it. The guy had 20 wins last year for the team, and the way majerus is going they are gonna be lucky to get 10. They are losing to teams that they shouldn't dare lose to. Building for the future is just a stupid excuse. He has some good players out there, but I sure don't agree with that small line-up he is always trying to start. If you are going to go with a small line-up i would think you would want to play a fast paced, fast break layup game, not a slow it down game. But who Am I? I just know I loved soderberg and also believe by firing him we also lost the chance to get a great player in kramer soderberg.

Man hopefully the faculty over at SLU is starting to regret the departure of Brad Soderberg. I sure hate it for the players, but as for the people that made that dumb decision I am loving it. The guy had 20 wins last year for the team, and the way majerus is going they are gonna be lucky to get 10. They are losing to teams that they shouldn't dare lose to. Building for the future is just a stupid excuse. He has some good players out there, but I sure don't agree with that small line-up he is always trying to start. If you are going to go with a small line-up i would think you would want to play a fast paced, fast break layup game, not a slow it down game. But who Am I? I just know I loved soderberg and also believe by firing him we also lost the chance to get a great player in kramer soderberg.

I understand that you may have loved BS, but the fact of the matter is that he is no longer SLU's coach. He wasn't an extraordinary coach by any stretch of the imagination. Who knows what our record would be with him at the helm this year. I'd venture to say it wouldn't be much different. But that is irrelevant. Let's discuss the current state of the team rather than a bunch of "What If?" scenarios. Also, Kramer Soderberg may be a good high school player, but there is a reason he isn't getting looks from any solid D-1 programs. He is simply another undersized guard that can shoot well at the high school level where they defenders aren't nearly as talented or athletic.

I understand that you may have loved BS, but the fact of the matter is that he is no longer SLU's coach. He wasn't an extraordinary coach by any stretch of the imagination. Who knows what our record would be with him at the helm this year. I'd venture to say it wouldn't be much different. But that is irrelevant. Let's discuss the current state of the team rather than a bunch of "What If?" scenarios. Also, Kramer Soderberg may be a good high school player, but there is a reason he isn't getting looks from any solid D-1 programs. He is simply another undersized guard that can shoot well at the high school level where they defenders aren't nearly as talented or athletic.

Don't you find it a little interesting that there are two first-time posters in this thread making pretty extreme statements? I wouldn't take either one seriously.

Yea I completely agree bluecrew. How can you justify your comments that the players simply are no good. You have arguably the best or 2nd best backcourt in the conference in TL and KL (XU's is pretty formidable as well). And you return 4 starters from a team that won 20 games. Granted we lost IV, but I don't agree with all those who believe that this loss was especially devastating (definitely shouldn't cost us more than 2 wins max). Let's keep in mind the terrible season that IV had last year. Yes, he was a very good player his junior year, but last year he was simply mediocre. Also, how do you factor in the fact that this team was looking decent up until the Kent St. debacle. Do you honestly think a team that lacks ability can keep up with Pitt, the 9th best team in the country?

I watched the Illinois/Arizona game Saturday. Only three are our players would see the court for either of those teams and I'm not sure any of those three would start. None of the rest would ever get a whiff of playing time. None of those three are stars. TL and KL are both good players having down years. Luke is having a solid year and is our best player right now. You can compete with three good players and a supporting cast of solid role players, but right now we don't have either. Perhaps BS knew how to get the most out of his players, but he sure couldn't recuit or evaluate talent and we're paying the price for that now.

I watched the Illinois/Arizona game Saturday. Only three are our players would see the court for either of those teams and I'm not sure any of those three would start. None of the rest would ever get a whiff of playing time. None of those three are stars. TL and KL are both good players having down years. Luke is having a solid year and is our best player right now. You can compete with three good players and a supporting cast of solid role players, but right now we don't have either. Perhaps BS knew how to get the most out of his players, but he sure couldn't recuit or evaluate talent and we're paying the price for that now.

If you think Liddell and Lisch wouldn't start for Illinois, you don't know basketball. I suppose you think that Larry Hughes wouldn't have started if he'd gone to Syracuse. :blink:

Some people speak in jest...

Liddell and Lisch are a cut above Fraizer, Meachem, and McCamey, with Fraizer being the toughest to sit down. Poor guy can't shoot the ball and is less creative than Kevin, so I start both SLU guards.

Lidell and Lisch would start at just about any D1 program, and at the worst be the first guy off the bench. I still remember at the UNC game in Chapel Hill, UNC fans stating they wished they had them as they were better than anyone they had playing guard that year.

Your telling me they are better then Ty Lawson? No way, they may be good athletes but we will never get the recruits that them schools are getting. We can't even compare recruits with IL, or Arizona because they are both bigger programs that get alot more talent looking there way. I guess we will just have to see how good of a recruiter Majerus is, but I don't think we wil be competing for recruits with schools like IL and Arizona. Oh yeh it may be my first post but i have kept up with billiken basketball for years, and shoot I hope they do good, I was just stating earlier that the guy had a 20 win season and was fired. The guy that runs SLU fired him and prolly don't know a darn thing, alls he looks at is the dollar bills the program brings in. I mean look the athletic director walked, so she must have not liked the decision either.

Your telling me they are better then Ty Lawson? No way, they may be good athletes but we will never get the recruits that them schools are getting. We can't even compare recruits with IL, or Arizona because they are both bigger programs that get alot more talent looking there way. I guess we will just have to see how good of a recruiter Majerus is, but I don't think we wil be competing for recruits with schools like IL and Arizona. Oh yeh it may be my first post but i have kept up with billiken basketball for years, and shoot I hope they do good, I was just stating earlier that the guy had a 20 win season and was fired. The guy that runs SLU fired him and prolly don't know a darn thing, alls he looks at is the dollar bills the program brings in. I mean look the athletic director walked, so she must have not liked the decision either.

With those writing skills, I hope you're not a SLU graduate.

It is nice to see Mrs. Soderberg is still following the board after her husbands departure.

i think slu72 is talking about the unc game the previous year in chapel hill before lawson was a tar heel.

illinois' achilles heel all year long will be the three guards. brock is very athletic but not much else. as sheltie commented, fraizer cant shoot. meacham is a poor man's lisch. (ironically, it is my understanding that meacham dates teresa).

Hey how did you know that it was Mrs. Soderberg. Also I am not trying to impress a english teacher on this board, you people are ridiculous, i state my own opinion and you go off bashing all the time. Isn't that what board are for is to post your opinion about things. But no you want to start putting up stupid retarded things about my writing, how bout you just argue my opinion. If i'm wrong I'm wrong, i'll admit when i'm wrong.