BC by 8 over Bills

The Wiz

I'll be there tonight. It's going to be nice to take the T to a SLU game (this is a first for me since I took the Blue Line out to the Rosemont Horizon to see SLU-DePaul way back in the Joey Meyer era--while he was announcing the game Ray Meyer actually got up and wandered off to talk to friends while play was on!). BC is coming off a disappointing loss to old rival Providence so that should make things tough for SLU. It is astute that Majerus mentions Biko Paris because in the limited amount I have seen BC play, Paris has been a surprise (somewhat unheralded freshman from Houston). Tyrese Rice is the go to guy and senior leader but a "freshman moment" cost them the game with PC (Rice took an ill advised 3 at the end of regulation when he had time for a better shot or a nice move to get fouled).

I'll be there tonight. It's going to be nice to take the T to a SLU game (this is a first for me since I took the Blue Line out to the Rosemont Horizon to see SLU-DePaul way back in the Joey Meyer era--while he was announcing the game Ray Meyer actually got up and wandered off to talk to friends while play was on!). BC is coming off a disappointing loss to old rival Providence so that should make things tough for SLU. It is astute that Majerus mentions Biko Paris because in the limited amount I have seen BC play, Paris has been a surprise (somewhat unheralded freshman from Houston). Tyrese Rice is the go to guy and senior leader but a "freshman moment" cost them the game with PC (Rice took an ill advised 3 at the end of regulation when he had time for a better shot or a nice move to get fouled).

Good article on Boston.com. Very interesting he mentioned TL and KL wishing they had Sodie back. Hmmmm?

A couple of quotes from the article I found intresting:

"I missed practices," he says. "I missed working with kids and seeing them get better. I didn't miss the AAU tournaments and the intrusive parents, or the talk shows, but I did miss being involved."

Hmmmm.....I wonder who he might be talking about. This is not going to die as quick as I hoped.

He further admits that his two best returning players, guards Tommie Liddell III and Kevin Lisch, might also like their old coach back.

"It's been hard for them; I know it," he says. "I run a different-type motion offense than they were used to. They were playing with a Memphis drive-and-kick. I emphasize cuts and screens. It's difficult for them. Coaching changes are not fun to go through."

A couple of quotes from the article I found intresting:

Hmmmm.....I wonder who he might be talking about. This is not going to die as quick as I hoped.

The thing is Majerus said the exact same thing when practice first started(about AAU and parents). I think you reading a little too much into this

I also thought this was intresting:

He has a team to coach this year, but he can't help thinking about an incoming recruiting class that features three players from state championship teams, the headliner being a 6-foot-8-inch kid named Brian Conklin of Eugene (Ore.) North High School, alma mater of Danny Ainge. "His team is trying to equal Danny's team's record of undefeated back-to-back champs," Majerus points out.

I saw earlier that Conklin had moved up into Gibbon's top 150, but I have heard of him as the headliner of the class before. Maybe, it was Majerus talking the kid up to the reporter so the fact he was from OR would make it into the paper. Him trying to let any potential recruit know that he is getting a kid from OR, so it is not that at out of the realm for a kid from the other side of the country to consider coming to the midwest. That players from all over the country want to play for him.

Guest BillikenReport

I saw earlier that Conklin had moved up into Gibbon's top 150, but I have heard of him as the headliner of the class before. Maybe, it was Majerus talking the kid up to the reporter ...

Ding ding ding

Majerus was talking to a Boston reporter about a recruit from Danny Ainge's high school.

You'll also notice there are several errors in the story.

- Nate

For all those who are frustrated with this season (and yes it isn't as good as I expected either), I think Bob Ryan in the article summed everything up beautifully in the last paragraph. He said

"With all due respect to Brad Soderberg, you haven't been hearing a whole lot about Saint Louis University basketball outside of St. Louis the past few years. That will change. Wherever Rick Majerus goes, wins soon follow."

All Billiken fans have bright things to look forward to in the coming years.

I saw earlier that Conklin had moved up into Gibbon's top 150, but I have heard of him as the headliner of the class before. Maybe, it was Majerus talking the kid up to the reporter so the fact he was from OR would make it into the paper. Him trying to let any potential recruit know that he is getting a kid from OR, so it is not that at out of the realm for a kid from the other side of the country to consider coming to the midwest. That players from all over the country want to play for him.

I think they picked up on Conklin because of the Danny Ainge connection. Good article and this is just more of the benefit of having Majerus. Not only did his hire bring some national exposure back in the spring, but when we go into visiting cities, there will get more stories like this. We're getting our name out there in a way that we haven't seen since Spoonball was getting featured in Sports Illustrated, USA Today, and the rest. This is even better because with Spoonball it was like we were a cute novelty act. With Majerus, it shows the school is serious about building a program.

Good column. Not everybody likes Bob Ryan, but I always thought he was one of the best of the "national" sportswriters. I'm just waiting for a Jay Mariotti piece.

Do you think Brad Soderberg would have rated a Bob Ryan article? This is good publicity because local Metro Boston kids read about BC since it's the only major D1 program in the Boston area. Who knows a coach or a parent might give him a call that they have a player/son who might be interested in playing for RM. Buzz is good.

be sure and give us your first hand impressions tomorrow kwijibo. I liked your Ray Meyer story.

I will be having one or two after the game with friends and other SLU alumni but if I am not too tired I will post later.

As I won't have time to go home from work before the game I am wearing my Billiken gear today. I just found out my boss grew-up in St. Louis, was a rabid SLU fan, and saw Oscar Robertson drop 50 on the Billikens.

I will be having one or two after the game with friends and other SLU alumni but if I am not too tired I will post later.

As I won't have time to go home from work before the game I am wearing my Billiken gear today. I just found out my boss grew-up in St. Louis, was a rabid SLU fan, and saw Oscar Robertson drop 50 on the Billikens.

Your boss is as old as me. One of my SLUH teammates went to BC and played for the Cooz. I remember seeing the Big O at that game. He was the best I ever saw.

Do you think Brad Soderberg would have rated a Bob Ryan article? This is good publicity because local Metro Boston kids read about BC since it's the only major D1 program in the Boston area. Who knows a coach or a parent might give him a call that they have a player/son who might be interested in playing for RM. Buzz is good.

who knows in other cities, maybe the local paper actually does give articles about the opponents for that day's game regularly.

Good column. Not everybody likes Bob Ryan, but I always thought he was one of the best of the "national" sportswriters. I'm just waiting for a Jay Mariotti piece.

I ran into Bob Ryan one morning at 11:30 am on the landing when the Final Four was in town. He appeared to be well lubricated already.

Please tell these ladies hi from us at Billikens.com.

Posted Image

His team arrives here with a 5-3 record, all the wins having been earned at home. Among the L's was a 81-40 whipping at the hands of Kent State. Majerus admits his team didn't exactly bring its A game that night, but what really frosted him was the behavior of one game referee who came into the Billiken huddle late in the half to tell an Al McGuire story.

Majerus was not in the mood. "I told him I hadn't stopped coaching, the players hadn't stopped playing, and he shouldn't stop reffing," Majerus says. "So he gave me a technical."

This quote pi**** me off I have never heard of such a ridiculous thing being done by a ref but then again I'm only 18 so i haven't had that much time to see or hear about something like that. Have any of you ever heard of stuff like this happening

oh and by the way #98 looks like michael jackson. sorry had to go there

His team arrives here with a 5-3 record, all the wins having been earned at home. Among the L's was a 81-40 whipping at the hands of Kent State. Majerus admits his team didn't exactly bring its A game that night, but what really frosted him was the behavior of one game referee who came into the Billiken huddle late in the half to tell an Al McGuire story.

Majerus was not in the mood. "I told him I hadn't stopped coaching, the players hadn't stopped playing, and he shouldn't stop reffing," Majerus says. "So he gave me a technical."

This quote pi**** me off I have never heard of such a ridiculous thing being done by a ref but then again I'm only 18 so i haven't had that much time to see or hear about something like that. Have any of you ever heard of stuff like this happening

welmer wants to b.s. while the game is going on.

Must have been an A-10 ref.