I'm suddenly bummed about next year too... please cheer

ACE

Overall, this team is probably about what I thought they'd be. Unfortunately, I'm suddenly very worried about next year, which I originally thought would be a breakthrough season.

We need three things next year, but unfortunately only have one scholarship left because of this stupid 8/5, 9/4 or whatever the hell rule that is.

1) No question we need a power forward. An athletic one who can jump and won't get pushed around. I'm not sure we can land a player like this who can make an impact next year. No more guys who are going to need time to develop. We have enough of them.

2) Here's where I'm getting really worried. The more I think about it, this Brandon Morris thing is going to kill us. I like Drejaj as a combo guy coming off the bench, but IMO he's not a true starting point guard. Polk will only be a freshman. It's asking a lot to count on him to run the show. The double whammy is that not only don't we get Morris for next year, which would've taken a lot of pressure off Polk, but didn't his departure also screw us with this damn 8/5 thing? Correct me if I'm wrong about that?

3) It's painfully obvious we need a second athletic scoring option to take pressure off Reggie. I don't think IO is the guy. I thought Liddell would be this guy. If he doesn't qualify, we're screwed.

We have three needs and only one scholarship left for next year. Damn, I'm getting pi$$ed. It's tough being a Billiken fan. Please, somebody convince me I'm full of sh!t on this and cheer me up.

Need some cheering up? Look at DePaul this year...How many years have they been down and out? Quite a few and they have a chance at the regular season CUSA title.

Our day will come! One of these days ACE, I can't tell you when, but the day will come when it will be "Easy to be a Billiken fan".

If Drejaj winds up seeing a lot of time at the pint next year, which I suspect he will, I think he will do fine. He's a little more "flashy" than Fisher which has gotten him into trouble. However, I think he is the best distributor of the ball on the team when it comes to driving and dishing. Coach will need to get him more under control when he has the ball, but I have confidence that Drejaj could be a very adequate point guard.

On all other points I agree with you.

I have no idea, outside of Frericks, where the rebounds will come from next year.

>Need some cheering up? Look at DePaul this year...How many

>years have they been down and out? Quite a few and they

>have a chance at the regular season CUSA title.

>

>Our day will come! One of these days ACE, I can't tell you

>when, but the day will come when it will be "Easy to be a

>Billiken fan".

DuhPaul isn't a good analogy as the difference with DuhPaul the past few years as compared to this year is that DuhPaul has been recruiting stud athletes for years, they just had a coach who couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag and now they have somone with a clue.

3 Star makes a good point about the athleticism of CUSA players. Watch a Big Ten game then watch a CUSA game, SLU and Marquette would be near the top of the Big Ten because their players (more fundamental, less athletic) fit in better there while CUSA teams, for the most part, are more athletic and run more.

a recurring opinion on the board is that getting to the A-10 will improve recruiting by opening the east coast to us. Why would that be the case ? Unless the Charter TV deal is trashed,kids from the east won't be seen at home often enough. What is the A-10 TV deal ? I don't see them much on TV . I think this boost in recruiting is just wishful thinking.

It will open up recruiting back east more than what is currently available to us. Will it mean that all of a sudden the gates are open for us to get anybody - no - but if a kid is looking to play away from home and still wants to be seen a few times and come home for a game or two a year then we are now an option where as before we aren't.

ace said, "I like Drejaj as a combo guy coming off the bench, but IMO he's not a true starting point guard."

the two best passes of the game last nite came from anthony drejaj. and when we needed big baskets last nite they came from drejaj. the kid has huge guts and is a playmaker. i totally think drejaj can be our playmaker. i am not in the least worried about our guards even if tommie liddell never sets foot on campus. (if he does it is icing on the cake big time though!)

the sore need is inside players because i do not see ian and bryce being significant contributors next year yet. right now we are pinning our hopes on justin johnson and a player yet to be named. NOW THAT IS SCARY!

as an example, look at the number of times the billikens will be on the philly, or d.c. version of charter. now you have a young man in philly that is dyng to get out of the city. he sees the billikens on tv and hears about the great job brad soderberg is doing blah blah blah. he thinks, hmmmm, i can get away, good coach, still not in a cow town, and i get to come home a few times a year. st louis sounds good.

unless that guard is the equal of the second scholarship player that wont be coming, i am with david. we need size. that said, i dont want anymore 2-3 year projects. two on the roster still in the developmental stages is enough at one time.

so i guess my vote is for one power forward and the second would be the best athlete available.

If AD is going to be our point guard ... he had better become much more consistent and smarter with the ball quickly. He has his strengths ... but he has a lot of work to do to be a quality point at this level. He has played the 4th most minutes this year and has an assist to turnover ratio of 1.25 to 1. He is shooting 33% from the 3 and 39% overall. Those our very poor numbers. If DP is half of the pg I have heard he will be starting very quickly in the year.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

go back and look at the numbers in their sophomore years of fisher, jamal walker, carlos mccauley, etc. there is typically a "growing up" period for all players. drejaj is a better player as a sophomore than what jamal walker was imo. his role will be redefined and he will take it and run with it.

ROy ... you may be right ... but I will be surprised ... we just disagree on the talent of AD. His extreme inconsistency ... and yes I do mean extreme ... realy wories me. I don't think he will ever be more than a borderline average player. Of course I hope you are right and I am wrong.

I value your opinion Roy ... but sometimes I think you love the Bills so much ... that any time we have a player who hustles and gives his all ... you overestimate his talent.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman