Gonzaga Star May be Reinstated

Postcard

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10348507

I just curious to get everyones opinion here. If he were a Billiken, would you welcome him back or would you have sent him packing? I would say he made a mistake and he is doing everything they asked to get back in good standing so I'd bring him back.

see ya!

I just curious to get everyones opinion here. If he were a Billiken, would you welcome him back or would you have sent him packing? I would say he made a mistake and he is doing everything they asked to get back in good standing so I'd bring him back.

Absolutely let him play. This kid has gone above and beyond what was required of him as penance. Who on here could this NOT have happened to? I am not referring to being caught with shrooms but some form of illegal substance (ie your dads Bud Light when you were 16 or a little pot in college)? I would feel like a hypocrite to say he doesn't deserve another chance. But for the grace of God go I

I'd give him a second chance. College athletes should be held to a higher standard than a typical student, but they also make mistakes. We're talking about very young people here. If he's a good kid and has done above and beyond what is expected of him, I see no reason not to let him back. Now, that moron who got caught with pot twice (at DU) in less than a week needs to be let go.

Absolutely let him play. This kid has gone above and beyond what was required of him as penance. Who on here could this NOT have happened to? I am not referring to being caught with shrooms but some form of illegal substance (ie your dads Bud Light when you were 16 or a little pot in college)? I would feel like a hypocrite to say he doesn't deserve another chance. But for the grace of God go I

i am of the belief that division one full scholarshiped athletes should be held to higher standards. no second chance.

btw, i cant even imagine what my parents would have done if i would have been in that situation when in high school or college. the school i was attending would have definitely been the least of my worries at that point. it is a shame that more parents dont set rigid ground rules and live by them in today's society.

i am of the belief that division one full scholarshiped athletes should be held to higher standards. no second chance.

btw, i cant even imagine what my parents would have done if i would have been in that situation when in high school or college. the school i was attending would have definitely been the least of my worries at that point. it is a shame that more parents dont set rigid ground rules and live by them in today's society.

Just curious Roy, what DO you think you're parents would have done if you were caught in that situation? Removed you from school, locked you in the basement for 3 years while feeding you nothing but break and water? Seriously. They guy screwed up. He's in hippie nation up there in Washington and got some illegal mushrooms. Good? Absolutely not. The end of the world? Not by any means. How do you know the parents didn't ***** at him for 2 months straight. Maybe they grounded him...but really....can a parent do that to a 20 y.o. kid who is getting everything they need paid for and doesn't live at home? He has done over 300+ hours of community service. He's attended drug education classes. He's apoligized and learned from his mistakes. You can't ask for anything more.

My opinion is that grass and shrooms should not be criminal to begin with. Beer and tobacco are legal because they have major corporate sponsors. If I am the only victim of my actions, how can it be a crime? If I injure someone while under the influence - now I've crossed the barrier. I admit this is not a mainstream opinion. Let the guy play.

Just curious Roy, what DO you think you're parents would have done if you were caught in that situation? Removed you from school, locked you in the basement for 3 years while feeding you nothing but break and water? Seriously. They guy screwed up. He's in hippie nation up there in Washington and got some illegal mushrooms. Good? Absolutely not. The end of the world? Not by any means. How do you know the parents didn't ***** at him for 2 months straight. Maybe they grounded him...but really....can a parent do that to a 20 y.o. kid who is getting everything they need paid for and doesn't live at home? He has done over 300+ hours of community service. He's attended drug education classes. He's apoligized and learned from his mistakes. You can't ask for anything more.

This kid deserves another chance. He paid his due, probably more than his due. He should be given a second chance with a zero tolerance policy.

My opinion is that grass and shrooms should not be criminal to begin with. Beer and tobacco are legal because they have major corporate sponsors. If I am the only victim of my actions, how can it be a crime? If I injure someone while under the influence - now I've crossed the barrier. I admit this is not a mainstream opinion. Let the guy play.

Couldn't agree with you more. He harmed no one but himself.

Couldn't agree with you more. He harmed no one but himself.

wrong. he put a dent in gonzaga's reputation. he harmed his teams chances in post season. a lot of people depended on him and he let them down.

as to myself, if i was in college, i would have likely been banished from my parents home and all financial support immediately cut off, i.e college would have been over for me. if i was still in high school i would have been grounded at least through the remainder of my high school years.

but the reality is that it is still illegal. until lawmakers change that, i disagree.

the fact he didnt hurt anyone physically was more luck than anything as i believe he was driving a vehicle at the time he was arrested.

but the reality is that it is still illegal. until lawmakers change that, i disagree.

the fact he didnt hurt anyone physically was more luck than anything as i believe he was driving a vehicle at the time he was arrested.

Actually, you can argue this issue both ways: 1. Since he has a schollie then he must know he risks loosing it if he gets caught with drugs. 2. Anybody can make a mistake so give people a second chance.

Both positions have merit. My personal belief is that each decision has to be made on an individual basis. If the kid has been a pain in the a## then he is gone but if the kid has never been a problem and simply made a bad decision then the coach should consider letting him back in. However, he used up all his get out of jail cards so the next time he is history.

wrong. he put a dent in gonzaga's reputation. he harmed his teams chances in post season. a lot of people depended on him and he let them down.

as to myself, if i was in college, i would have likely been banished from my parents home and all financial support immediately cut off, i.e college would have been over for me. if i was still in high school i would have been grounded at least through the remainder of my high school years.

I don't think he was under the influence when he was arrested so again he was only hurting himself. And boy am I glad I didn't grow in your house. Luckily my parents allowed me to make some mistakes without putting me under house arrest. And I'm glad they loved me enough not to throw me out of the house and cut off all contact with me because I made a stupid error in judgement as a 19 year old.

I guess I'll try to ask again, would you have felt differently if this was a traffic violation? Fight? Criminally speaking it seems like he has been cleared of any charges. If Kevin Lisch gets busted for speeding(which is against the law) shoule we kick him off the team?

Roy what do you think about fathering children at a young age? I thing teenage pregnancies are a bigger problem in this country than shrooms, weed or underage drinking. Should we kick those players off the team as well?

Actually, you can argue this issue both ways: 1. Since he has a schollie then he must know he risks loosing it if he gets caught with drugs. 2. Anybody can make a mistake so give people a second chance.

Both positions have merit. My personal belief is that each decision has to be made on an individual basis. If the kid has been a pain in the a## then he is gone but if the kid has never been a problem and simply made a bad decision then the coach should consider letting him back in. However, he used up all his get out of jail cards so the next time he is history.

If a Larry Hughes got busted with weed every week do you kick him off the team?

I don't think he was under the influence when he was arrested so again he was only hurting himself. And boy am I glad I didn't grow in your house. Luckily my parents allowed me to make some mistakes without putting me under house arrest. And I'm glad they loved me enough not to throw me out of the house and cut off all contact with me because I made a stupid error in judgement as a 19 year old.

I guess I'll try to ask again, would you have felt differently if this was a traffic violation? Fight? Criminally speaking it seems like he has been cleared of any charges. If Kevin Lisch gets busted for speeding(which is against the law) shoule we kick him off the team?

a speeding ticket isnt near the same as possession and under the influence of illegal drugs.

For me it depends on the circumstances. If during the off season that's one thing and if he was sincere in his apologizing for the mistake and completed every term of the punishment Few laid down for him that's one thing. However in this case, it was the night before a game, what the hell is he doing 1) at a party on another university's campus, and 2) with shrooms, a controlled substance. That's showing disrespect for your teammates and letting them down in the middle of what was a tight race for the conference title. Considering those circumstances, hit the road.

"as to myself, if i was in college, i would have likely been banished from my parents home and all financial support immediately cut off, i.e college would have been over for me. "

Yikes! That's pretty tough, Roy. It would be my hope that your years at SLU might have encouraged you to be a bit more compassionate. Kids that are allowed a second chance and succeed, as many do, validate the actions of those who trust them. I do see your point about holding scholarship kids to a higher standard, but it occurs to me that having your dirty laundry aired in public probably pays for that. Frankly, I would feel differently if this was an offense involving weapons or violence. IMO, some idea of the punishment fitting the crime is in order.

well my father passed away a few years ago so i really have no way of knowing what my parents would have done had i been arrested for drugs. and maybe my viewpoint is clouded by what seems like an ever increasing society of "slap on the wrists" and spoiled children with no discipline that i have become numb to these scenarios to the point of "enough is enough".

all too many people seem to expect second and third chances for everything and far too many seem to think it is their right to fail with no consequences.

sorry if that draconian attitude offends some. probably comes from all the bad credit i see on a day to day basis with no remorse for carefree and careless attitudes towards responsibilities and obligations.

Gonaga is a Catholic school, right? I always thought Jesus was a guy who talked about forgiveness? Giving a 19 or 20 year old guy a second chance seems appropriate. The kid had to miss the remainder of last season, so he was punished. It's not like he just missed a few games. If he went to rehab and has kept his nose clean, then he should be back. If you care about the future of the kid, it would seem to me that he would be better in an environment where they are trying to help him deal with his issues, rather than just cutting him loose. Now if he commits another offense, then he should be dismissed.