Gonzaga Star May be Reinstated

Postcard

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a speeding ticket isnt near the same as possession and under the influence of illegal drugs.

Where does it say he was under the influence? So if we're debating possesion vs. underage drinking vs. speeding ticket, where do you draw the line? The best I can tell and maybe one of the attorneys on the board can speak to this, but it seems like the charges were dropped after he completed his community service, etc. Is this even on his record now? Is it listed as a misdemeanor or what?

Where does it say he was under the influence? So if we're debating possesion vs. underage drinking vs. speeding ticket, where do you draw the line? The best I can tell and maybe one of the attorneys on the board can speak to this, but it seems like the charges were dropped after he completed his community service, etc. Is this even on his record now? Is it listed as a misdemeanor or what?

so because he had a good atty and nothing went on his record, it should be ignored?

as i have said many times, we arent talking about jail or personal rights, we are talking about a rare priviledge of an athletic scholarship to a very very good university. that is a higher standard imo.

so because he had a good atty and nothing went on his record, it should be ignored?

as i have said many times, we arent talking about jail or personal rights, we are talking about a rare priviledge of an athletic scholarship to a very very good university. that is a higher standard imo.

I didn't say it should be ignored. It wasn't ignored. Why do you think it was? He was punished by the courts and by his university. If you're a compasionate person wouldn't you maybe want to try and get the kid some help? This kid didn't kill some body, he got caught with a few shrooms. He did his penance. According to your logic he should be exiled to Molokai with the lepers. Is the code of conduct at Jesuit universities to turn your back on your fellow brother in his time of need? The Jesuits taught me to be a Man for Others. What did they teach you?

I didn't say it should be ignored. It wasn't ignored. Why do you think it was? He was punished by the courts and by his university. If you're a compasionate person wouldn't you maybe want to try and get the kid some help? This kid didn't kill some body, he got caught with a few shrooms. He did his penance. According to your logic he should be exiled to Molokai with the lepers. Is the code of conduct at Jesuit universities to turn your back on your fellow brother in his time of need? The Jesuits taught me to be a Man for Others. What did they teach you?

i got straight D's in theology at SLU, so i guess not much.

This is beating a dead horse, but I'd be more upset with my kid if he brought home "straight D's" than if I found a sack of pot in his room. To each his own...

(disclaimer: I don't have any kids)

Would you rather find some shrooms in your teenager room or find out he is going to be a father?

Fynny, no one wants to talk about things our players have done. We just want to come down on others for their bad judgement.

What are you talking about? This whole thread smacks of you and powerballer trying to catch SLU fans in some trap.

Nearly every poster not named Billiken Roy has said he should be let back on the team and yet you accuse the people on this board of wanting to come down on others. Seems to me everyone has been quite forgiving.

Would you rather find some shrooms in your teenager room or find out he is going to be a father?

Well, I have the same mindset as Unca above. I can't understand how pot and/or mushrooms are illegal while tobacco and alcohol isn't a problem. The amount of money and resources we use enforcing control of these substances is ridiculous. I've never met a stoner who was out to hurt somebody. So, to answer your question, I would be much more upset if he was going to be a father. However, either offense would cause him to feel the wrath of "dad".

What are you talking about? This whole thread smacks of you and powerballer trying to catch SLU fans in some trap.

Nearly every poster not named Billiken Roy has said he should be let back on the team and yet you accuse the people on this board of wanting to come down on others. Seems to me everyone has been quite forgiving.

Kshoe this thread reeks of Metz and Ragin.

We have atleast 1 father on the bills. If we are going to be so hard on everybody else, we should kick him out of school. Not that that would help anyone. The best thing for this player is to get and education, so he can take care of his family. Sounds to me like roy hates just to hate. Everyone deserves a second chance.

We have atleast 1 father on the bills. If we are going to be so hard on everybody else, we should kick him out of school. Not that that would help anyone. The best thing for this player is to get and education, so he can take care of his family. Sounds to me like roy hates just to hate. Everyone deserves a second chance.

I must have missed when being a father was outlawed.

I must have missed when being a father was outlawed.

No one is saying it is. Drug use and teenage pregnancy are problems in our society that come from people making bad decisions. That is how they are similiar. Are only illegal things wrong? Is it okay for me to stand outside your mom's house and call her a ***** everytime she walks out. Brianstl, you got me in another silly argument Why can't we just admit that all teams have players who have made bad judgement calls? I think we should should try and help these kids not throw them out on the streets.

Since we don't know the kid its kind to hard to make a decision. My feelings are, if this was his first time and he repented and demonstrated he was sincere, why not, let him have a 2nd chance. I hate to see a kid destroy his life for one mistake done at such a young age.

No one is saying it is. Drug use and teenage pregnancy are problems in our society that come from people making bad decisions. That is how they are similiar. Are only illegal things wrong? Is it okay for me to stand outside your mom's house and call her a ***** everytime she walks out. Brianstl, you got me in another silly argument Why can't we just admit that all teams have players who have made bad judgement calls? I think we should should try and help these kids not throw them out on the streets.

Are you really that stupid? Everyone on here, except one person, said they would give him a second chance.

Since we don't know the kid its kind to hard to make a decision. My feelings are, if this was his first time and he repented and demonstrated he was sincere, why not, let him have a 2nd chance. I hate to see a kid destroy his life for one mistake done at such a young age.

Being kicked off the team at Gonzaga is not going to destroy his life. Being let back on might send him the message that he doesn't have to pay for his transgressions because he's a star athlete. He can transfer elsewhere and continue his career. He won't even lose a year of eligibility. Plenty of schools in WA and on the West Coast would be banging down the doors to bring him in.

Best solution would be to let the team vote. If they want to bring back a guy who, while talented, let them down by being on another campus at a party the night before a game and had an illegal substance in his posession, thus endangering their season and embarassing the university then he's back on. If I were on the team I'd vote no. It's not unprecedented, the Indiana team told Neil Reed to hit the road after the 1997 season because of his attitute and selfishness.

Geez, Roy, you need to lighten up a little bit. I hope your kids never make any mistakes; if they do you might have to change your tune. So the kid wanted to do a little trippin', I say let him. I would have been kicked out of school about 30 times if that were the criteria. Iwill agree with one concept; keep your nose clean. Getting caught with illegals in the car is an indication of a lack of discipline. They should have been driving 2 miles over the speed limit and obeying every rule of traffic. If that were the case no one would ever have known about his personal habits.

This is beating a dead horse, but I'd be more upset with my kid if he brought home "straight D's" than if I found a sack of pot in his room. To each his own...

(disclaimer: I don't have any kids)

that would have been the only 3 d's of my life. in a subject that my parents didnt think i needed to take (not catholic). everything else was mostly A's and a sprinkle of B's.

but apparently your parents bought you pot for your A's in theology. good for you i guess.

Geez, Roy, you need to lighten up a little bit. I hope your kids never make any mistakes; if they do you might have to change your tune. So the kid wanted to do a little trippin', I say let him. I would have been kicked out of school about 30 times if that were the criteria. Iwill agree with one concept; keep your nose clean. Getting caught with illegals in the car is an indication of a lack of discipline. They should have been driving 2 miles over the speed limit and obeying every rule of traffic. If that were the case no one would ever have known about his personal habits.

mistakes or drugs? big difference. everyone makes mistakes. not everyone takes illegal drugs.

it is a shame that more parents dont set rigid ground rules and live by them in today's society.

Or maybe it's a blessing. A lot of rigid ground rules have created a lot of bigoted and/or narrow-minded folks. After reading that last sentence, i want to make clear that i'm not calling your bigoted or narrow-minded Roy, i am speaking about society in general.

What about the goodwill the kid had created for the school? This isn't a one-way street, these kids get used as much as they get a free ride.