Vanderbilt-esque

I'm sure that this has already been discussed but with the search for a new AD under way it is an interesting idea. We all know that RM and Father B are going to be making all the real important decision from here on out regarding athletics so why not just cut out the middle man?

There seems to be some success at Vanderbilt and we are a similar institution so its worth a look.

Thoughts?

I'm sure that this has already been discussed but with the search for a new AD under way it is an interesting idea. We all know that RM and Father B are going to be making all the real important decision from here on out regarding athletics so why not just cut out the middle man?

There seems to be some success at Vanderbilt and we are a similar institution so its worth a look.

Thoughts?

I posted the same idea after CL announced she was leaving. Might be worth a try. Hasn't hurt Vandy.

Yes they do - someone is acting as the AD - that is my question, who?

They do not have an seperate atheletic department any more so they do not have an AD or an acting AD. The athletic department is now formally merged as part of the university and falls under the supervision and direction of one of the schools vice chancellors.

This link gives an in depth explanation.

http://vanderbilt.rivals.com/content.asp?S...&CID=247065

They do not have an seperate atheletic department any more so they do not have an AD or an acting AD. The athletic department is now formally merged as part of the university and falls under the supervision and direction of one of the schools vice chancellors.

This link gives an in depth explanation.

http://vanderbilt.rivals.com/content.asp?S...&CID=247065

The Vandy model is certainly intriguing. My question is how effective would this be at SLU? Our AD and administration always seem to be butting heads and I don't know that the AD will ever have as much power as it would like in order to upgrade the program. Would the Vandy model be the answer? Would it even make a difference at SLU? Thoughts?

The Vandy model is certainly intriguing. My question is how effective would this be at SLU? Our AD and administration always seem to be butting heads and I don't know that the AD will ever have as much power as it would like in order to upgrade the program. Would the Vandy model be the answer? Would it even make a difference at SLU? Thoughts?

It all starts with the man in charge. I'm not a Biondi expert, but from what i've heard, sports aren't high on his list. He's shown tremendous commitment over the last year, but it took him a long time to reach that point. If Biondi wants it, his lemmings will follow suit. Gee loved sports. He attended all sorts of games. He would sit with the students. He really enjoyed the students. You can tell how much he loved sports due to the fact that he left Vanderbilt to go to Ohio State. Not trying to diss OSU, but I don't think academics at the two are comparable. He wanted to get back to championship football.

Any approach in which both the Athletic Department and Sports Information Department receive a complete overhaul would be beneficial for SLU. Frankly, future decisions will be made by Biondi and RM anyway (CL saw this immediately) so I see little difference between eliminating the title of Athletic Director or putting in a RM friend or yes man as the new Athletic Director.

It all starts with the man in charge. I'm not a Biondi expert, but from what i've heard, sports aren't high on his list. He's shown tremendous commitment over the last year, but it took him a long time to reach that point. If Biondi wants it, his lemmings will follow suit. Gee loved sports. He attended all sorts of games. He would sit with the students. He really enjoyed the students. You can tell how much he loved sports due to the fact that he left Vanderbilt to go to Ohio State. Not trying to diss OSU, but I don't think academics at the two are comparable. He wanted to get back to championship football.

Unless he's recently left Vandy, Nash, I think you have this wrong. Gee was president of OSU until '97. He quit and went to Brown, not what you'd call a football powerhouse. In fact he rubbed a lot of OSU biggies the wrong way because he was more an academic than a supporter of their football program. He then left Brown for Vandy, again more an academic school than athletic. He was the guy who came up with the idea to do away with a separate AD because he felt it isolated the student athlete from having the full college experience. Seems to be working for them in Basketball. Although, when they play the likes of LSU and Florida in football am sure they feel the difference between being an athlete-student and a student athlete.

So somebody is serving as the AD of sorts - the vice chancellor, David Williams. We already have a system similar to this with the SLU AD reporting to the Chancellor - his name escapes me now. I can assure you that Williams has some assistants who run the day to day stuff for Athletics. There approach is really different in name only and maybe a few operational issues. If people think that athletics is going to get all they want from the school's endowment fund they are kidding themselves - athletics will be fighting with Arts and Science, Law, whatever for money at VU.

Unless he's recently left Vandy, Nash, I think you have this wrong. Gee was president of OSU until '97. He quit and went to Brown, not what you'd call a football powerhouse. In fact he rubbed a lot of OSU biggies the wrong way because he was more an academic than a supporter of their football program. He then left Brown for Vandy, again more an academic school than athletic. He was the guy who came up with the idea to do away with a separate AD because he felt it isolated the student athlete from having the full college experience. Seems to be working for them in Basketball. Although, when they play the likes of LSU and Florida in football am sure they feel the difference between being an athlete-student and a student athlete.

Nope, he's gone back. He accepted the position as President of OSU effective 8/1, i believe. I'm employed by Vanderbilt and recieved an email from Gordon informing me of his decision in early summer. We are currently without a chancellor. Also, Vandy has had some of it's most recent success in football over the past two years. One game out of bowl eligibility last year if I recall.

Vanderbilt is pretty quality this year with future SEC leading receiver My Name is Earl Bennett and All-SEC linebacker Jonathan Goff. If they can beat Alabama this Saturday in Nashville they will likely begin the season 4-0.

Do you work at the Wendy's on campus?

We don't have a Wendy's on campus. Too bad. That new "Baconator" kicks a$$

There must be a Wendy's very near campus then. I took a roadtrip to Vanderbilt for a weekend one spring and I definitely remember walking to a Wendy's at 3:30 in the morning after a long night and it was the best meal I have ever had for under $5. Not only that; the talent walking into that place all decked out in their sundresses was impressive.

What do you do at Vanderbilt?

There must be a Wendy's very near campus then. I took a roadtrip to Vanderbilt for a weekend one spring and I definitely remember walking to a Wendy's at 3:30 in the morning after a long night and it was the best meal I have ever had for under $5. Not only that; the talent walking into that place all decked out in their sundresses was impressive.

What do you do at Vanderbilt?

Yeah, there is a Wendy's real close to the football stadium. It's THE place to be at 3am on the weekends. Nashville's late night dining options are limited to say the least.

I work for the medical center and provide IT solutions for the operating rooms and central sterile processing (Win32 programming, web development, reporting, etc).

Yeah, there is a Wendy's real close to the football stadium. It's THE place to be at 3am on the weekends. Nashville's late night dining options are limited to say the least.

I work for the medical center and provide IT solutions for the operating rooms and central sterile processing (Win32 programming, web development, reporting, etc).

Wow, am surprised at Gee going back. He wasn't especially well liked by a lot of the powers that be.

Thoughts?

It would be an interesting way to save some money.

It would be an interesting way to save some money.

Vanderbilt had 7 top 25 ranked teams this past year. ...and an improving footbal team.

And can't argue with these other results of Gee's tenure. The Wall Street Journal article on him in fall of 2006 was the big noise and controversy. I'll take the following results below to go along with very good athletic teams(although eliminating soccer was done in a poor disgraceful manner)

Vanderbilt’s success over the past six years, since Gordon Gee became the university’s seventh Chancellor, is indisputable. Since 2000, Vanderbilt has:

…Completed a $1.25 billion capital campaign two years ahead of schedule and raised the goal to $1.75 billion – with an emphasis on endowed scholarships and faculty chairs.

…Grown the University’s endowment by almost 50 percent, to more than $3 billion, during some of the most tumultuous years for investments in the stock market¸ helping ensure a future that will allow for continued strong support of student, faculty, research, medical and other core mission needs.

…Led the country in the rate of growth for academic research, with external funding increasing from $232 million in 2000 to more than $450 million.

…Doubled the annual budget for financial aid from $30 million to $60 million, and reduced significantly the debt burden for graduating students.

…Launched the $100 million Academic Venture Capital Fund to seed new research centers in life sciences, social sciences, humanities, culture which have led to important discoveries and insights and new educational opportunities for undergraduates.

…Seen a more than 50 percent increase in applications for admission, from 8,000 in 2000 to almost 13,000 in 2006.

… Become one of the most selective institutions in the country. The increased number and high caliber of students seeking admission have enabled us to fill each class from a smaller percentage of the application pool. In higher education, the lower the rate of admission, the more selective the school. We now admit one-third of applicants versus more than twice that percentage just seven years ago.

… Become the destination school for these top students. The number of students accepting the University’s offer of admission (“yieldâ€) has increased from 26 percent to over 40 percent in the past seven years.

…Renewed its commitment to being one of a small number of private universities that admit applicants regardless of their ability to pay and that meet the full demonstrated financial need of all students so that a Vanderbilt education is affordable to all.

…Seen a significant increase in student quality, with average SAT scores rising almost 100 points, and more than 90 percent of incoming students coming from the top 10 percent of their high school classes.

…Led one of the most rapid changes in diversity, with a 50 percent increase in minority students.

…Recruited faculty from the top universities in the country, and around the world, in such fields as literature, history, Jewish studies, biomedical imaging, law and education, among many others.

…Ensured that faculty salaries are among the highest in the country, ranking in the top three for private research universities when adjusted for cost of living.

…Selected as one of the 25 “Hot Colleges†for 2007 by the Kaplan-Newsweek College Guide.

… Risen from 22 to number 18 in the latest US News and World Report rankings, with graduate schools of law, divinity, medicine, business and education all ranked among the best in the world.

…Completed or began construction of more than $700 million new facilities for medical research, student services, studio arts, engineering, law, children’s health, diabetes care, performing arts, interdisciplinary work in arts and sciences, tennis, baseball, Jewish life and African-American culture, with many more new buildings underway.

…Become the most-preferred provider of health care services in Middle Tennessee, with the opening of the most advanced children’s hospital in the country and new clinical services in a number of areas.

…Begun construction of The Commons, a $150 million investment in the undergraduate experience that will transform student life by creating a “campus within a campus†for first year students .

Vanderbilt had 7 top 25 ranked teams this past year. ...and an improving footbal team.

And can't argue with these other results of Gee's tenure. The Wall Street Journal article on him in fall of 2006 was the big noise and controversy. I'll take the following results below to go along with very good athletic teams(although eliminating soccer was done in a poor disgraceful manner)

Vanderbilt’s success over the past six years, since Gordon Gee became the university’s seventh Chancellor, is indisputable. Since 2000, Vanderbilt has:

…Completed a $1.25 billion capital campaign two years ahead of schedule and raised the goal to $1.75 billion – with an emphasis on endowed scholarships and faculty chairs.

…Grown the University’s endowment by almost 50 percent, to more than $3 billion, during some of the most tumultuous years for investments in the stock market¸ helping ensure a future that will allow for continued strong support of student, faculty, research, medical and other core mission needs.

…Led the country in the rate of growth for academic research, with external funding increasing from $232 million in 2000 to more than $450 million.

…Doubled the annual budget for financial aid from $30 million to $60 million, and reduced significantly the debt burden for graduating students.

…Launched the $100 million Academic Venture Capital Fund to seed new research centers in life sciences, social sciences, humanities, culture which have led to important discoveries and insights and new educational opportunities for undergraduates.

…Seen a more than 50 percent increase in applications for admission, from 8,000 in 2000 to almost 13,000 in 2006.

… Become one of the most selective institutions in the country. The increased number and high caliber of students seeking admission have enabled us to fill each class from a smaller percentage of the application pool. In higher education, the lower the rate of admission, the more selective the school. We now admit one-third of applicants versus more than twice that percentage just seven years ago.

… Become the destination school for these top students. The number of students accepting the University’s offer of admission (“yieldâ€) has increased from 26 percent to over 40 percent in the past seven years.

…Renewed its commitment to being one of a small number of private universities that admit applicants regardless of their ability to pay and that meet the full demonstrated financial need of all students so that a Vanderbilt education is affordable to all.

…Seen a significant increase in student quality, with average SAT scores rising almost 100 points, and more than 90 percent of incoming students coming from the top 10 percent of their high school classes.

…Led one of the most rapid changes in diversity, with a 50 percent increase in minority students.

…Recruited faculty from the top universities in the country, and around the world, in such fields as literature, history, Jewish studies, biomedical imaging, law and education, among many others.

…Ensured that faculty salaries are among the highest in the country, ranking in the top three for private research universities when adjusted for cost of living.

…Selected as one of the 25 “Hot Colleges†for 2007 by the Kaplan-Newsweek College Guide.

… Risen from 22 to number 18 in the latest US News and World Report rankings, with graduate schools of law, divinity, medicine, business and education all ranked among the best in the world.

…Completed or began construction of more than $700 million new facilities for medical research, student services, studio arts, engineering, law, children’s health, diabetes care, performing arts, interdisciplinary work in arts and sciences, tennis, baseball, Jewish life and African-American culture, with many more new buildings underway.

…Become the most-preferred provider of health care services in Middle Tennessee, with the opening of the most advanced children’s hospital in the country and new clinical services in a number of areas.

…Begun construction of The Commons, a $150 million investment in the undergraduate experience that will transform student life by creating a “campus within a campus†for first year students .

So....My Vanderbilt-esque solution is a good one? Haha

Not so fast - ideas and systems work usually because of the people who are there implementing them. New people and you can get different results. The test of a good idea or strategy is if it can be transfered to other locations. Also, new ideas and strategies work when there is enough money to go around - as soon as money gets tight and people start getting squeezed then all bets are off. Time will only tell.

So....My Vanderbilt-esque solution is a good one? Haha

i took courtside's post on vandy to illustrate that vandy isnt afraid to fund things and support systems. slu athletics will never be confused with fully funded and supported.