New Roth story on billikenreport.com

VTIME

According to his profile, it looks like the four are: SLU, Bradley, Illinois State, and Witchita State. So I guess it's us against three MVC schools.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

Guest BillikenReport

If you go to the site, there is a free trial period.

You can read all the premium stuff, decide whether or not it is worth the $10 a month for a subscription and then cancel if you don't think so.

- Nate

Guest BillikenReport

If Rick Majerus wouldn't have hired Porter Moser, SLU wouldn't be in the Roth race.

I think it will be tough to beat out Bradley and Illinois State, but SLU is probably right there.

It will come down to the Missouri Valley Conference vs. the Atlantic 10 ... for a kid who's been following the MVC for many years.

He'd be a very good get for the Billikens — one person told me Roth is the best high school shooter he's in the last 25 years — but SLU will OK if they don't get him. Femi John will be a productive shooting guard for the Bills. If SLU doesn't fill those last two scholarships soon, they can wait for a JUCO big guy or two later on in the process which would help the transition of the two 6-11 kids coming in.

- Nate

If you get can get 2 guys that will really contribute, then you have to say its 2 scholarships. I hope 1 goes to Suggs and the other in the spring to the JUCO product Harrellson, because you do need a JUCO big man to transition the 2 freshman and join the Eckerle, Relphorde, Mitchell class or the Maguire, Knollmeyer class.

Nate. Unless I am missing something, is the trend around college basketball on "early" or "verbal" commitments becoming more routine each year. Was quite surprised Roundtree verballed as early as he did. Then, was surprised by Thompson. Then, I see the other Billiken recruits and presume it is just RM. Then, I see something like Roth and people are a little surprised he has not year decided. November is a long way away!!!

I know I am dating myself, but there was a day that only a few committed in the Fall of their Senior year with most committing in the Spring. Now, rosters are full by the Fall with mostly JUCOs and transfers in the Spring. Are most kids now verbally committing in the Spring of their Junior year and the summer between Junior and Senior? Is it typical that the Fall signing is becoming a date to mostly hold your breath and hope the recruit doesn't change his mind instead of the date he actually makes his decision?

Guest BillikenReport

>Just a guess on my part, but would think the reason for

>early verbals is the pressure gets so intense on these kids,

>they want it to stop so they verbal.

Early commitments are not unusual.

It's just that college basketball fans in this area haven't heard much about them for a couple years with SLU, Mizzou and Illinois.

Here is Scout's list of the top prospects in the Class of 2008:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&cfg=bb&c=4&yr=2008

There are a lot of kids committed already.

- Nate

Nate. Have you seen an increase in "early" verbals? Can you guess as to the percentage of kids who verbal quite early?

I don't blame the kids. I'd verbal early and try to enjoy my senior year in HS.

Understand SLU and Mizzou, but why has IL not received many early verbals?

How do you explain the two 4-star top-100 kids and the three three-stars that have signed with Illinois for this year? Seems to me as though he's done a nice job of putting together an excellent class, especially after being blind-sided and left at the altar by Gordon.

I suppose it's all perspective. We're all raving about what Majerus has done thus far (rightfully so!), but even if he's able to get Suggs and Perry, the class will not be rated as highly as Weber's 2007 class.

But, perception is reality, so I guess you're correct in saying "Weber can't recruit", but there's no denying that he can coach.

I would put Bruce Weber in the top 10 coaches in college basketball. But the talent that was on the floor last season was lacking severely. I would hope that Bruce at Illinois would "outrecruit" Majerus at SLU considering he is coaching in the Big10 and not the A10.

I think you guys are mistaken in thinking that there are only 2 or so scholarships available in 08. I would find it hard to believe that some of the players currently on the roster would be coming back for the 08 season. I am sure their are plenty of people who days as a Bill are numbered.

That severely lacking talent was good enough to win 23 games in the Big 10(11). And the two or three players who will be seriously looked at by the NBA aren't too shabby.

I'm not saying that Weber recruits like Self, Gillispie or Calipari, but to say "Weber can't recruit" simply doesn't pass the sniff test. His class this year is rated in the top half of all Big 10 classes.

Top half of the Big 10 doesn't really cut it when you have basketball hotbeds like Chicago and Peoria in your back yard. Two years ago they played for the national title. They should be getting top 10 classes in the country every year. He has a hard time closing the deal.

It's great that Chicago is local for him. The problem is that every other top school in the country swoops in to lure kids away. As a prime example, Deandre Liggins just verballed to Kentucky. And both Kentucky and Kansas (along with several other heavy hitters) are going all-out to get Humphrey and Dunnigan. When every team in the Big 10 along with teams like Duke/Kentucky/Marquette/Kansas and on and on ad infinitum consider Chicago to be their territory, it's difficult to keep all the top talent in state. Not even Self or Kruger were able to pull that off. Bottom line is can Weber recruit well enough to win. Thus far the answer is yes.

Can he recruit well enough to win? yes. Can he recruit well enough to make it to the final four? I think the answer is no. Julian Wright and Collins were in his backyard and Bill Self came in and snatched them. Those are the type of players Weber will miss out on. Top 20 recruits.

THe job for any U of I coach needs to be to make themselves the number hitter in Chicago. For Self it wasn't as big a deal because he was able to recruit national and get top 10 classes. I don't think Weber will ever be a national recruiter. He has to become more effective in Chicago.