PSL's for new arena

why would they bother with a psl when a requirement of Billiken

Club membership, annually, at certain levels for certain seating

locations would be an even bigger money maker; I"d rather have a big stream of income than interest on an untouchable and potenially returnable lump sum

The only problem with reseating every 5 years is that long time Club members and season tix holders could be bounced - not everyone - and that ultimately will simply piss people off. No matter what happens you have to remember where you came from and who your friends were regardless of the times. Successful businesses know this and pay attention to it. I would support the issue being handled through the Club membership process and priority seating rank aspect - the only thing that would concern me is if too much emphasis is put on giving. By that I mean you get 5 points for every dollar you give creating a situation where a donor who gave $500 a year for years and held season tix for years is now ousted by someone who walks in and gives $10K one time. I know we need money to compete but perhaps some sliding scale could be used such as years of season tix being held and Club membership be counted on par with big dollars so the two balance each other out in some way. That still respects the long time booster/tix holder but still gives a the big money band wagon people a chance to get in without overshadowing others.

cheeseman, i have long thought about this very issue and originally i was thinking the same as you. however the way it was explained to me is that your previous total points dont go away so for significant number of fans to surpass you they would all have to pay substantial amounts of money to the billiken club. the point is as unsettled as this sounds, the likelihood is that if you continue to give you probably wont feel much difference in priority. at least that is the way i am reading it.

i thought the original time line was for an announcement on ticket policy to come out around this time - anyone else remember that?

i think it has very suddenly, and hopefully not just for the short term, become a seller's market

Roy, if you noticed I said some season tix holders would be bounced not all. Lets say you are ranked in the top 1/3 and have a total of 200 plus points - just making this up so my numbers might be off. You continue to give your $500 and buy season tix and so your number goes up accordingly - what would it be 210 or so. Now another person comes in and lays down $10K and buys a season tix. He gets .10 of a point for every dollar he gives so now he has 1000pts. I am only trying to put together a scenerio that shows how a one-time donation could bounce somebody - I could be out in left on this also.

The athletic dept. came out before RM was hired saying that this year's renewals and the new arena information package (they are?/were being sent together)would be delayed for "several weeks" after the hiring of the men's head BB coach.

The majority of seats will not have an annual giving requirement; the majority of the giving will be to pay interest/retire the debt the arena will incur; I think the debt number is over $40mm.

The points program as members of the Billiken Club is the only equitable way to allow seat choice. That said, someone who plunks down a bunch and moves up in priority is, for me, welcome at this time: it takes a lot to maintain a top program. And the top schools actually want to make money to support the non-revenue sports (I think I read that UNC spends $5mm+ on MBB and takes in $15mm, probably including NCAA appearance money).

it was my understanding of the "5-year rule", and I could be wrong, that at the end of five years, the AD had the right to increase the required annual minimum gift due for certain seats. The person that currently owned those seats could choose to increase his payments to the required minimum or he could choose to look for seats elsewhere in a cheaper section.

This means that any person that is willing to continue paying the required minimum will not lose his/her seats. To me this is a more fan friendly approach then simply re-shuffling every five years and pissing everyone off.

Again, this is what I was told a while ago so who knows if its still the plan.

The problem is Woolard didn't administer Yow's priority point system, which would have had people used to having their priority change.

So, you are part right/part wrong, at least in my understanding of the 5 year option: you have the right to those seats for 5 years regardless of how your point priority changes during that time as long as you pay the annual+ ticket cost; after 5 years seating would be done again on the priority point system. This would allow newer, bigger donors access to better seats over time. May not seem fair to long time fans without the ability to make donations, but as Biondi has just proved (and everyone here seems to agree)it takes a LOT of money to be consistently in the top 50. Those that give the most, get the most.

The annual giving for the seats does earn points.

And I want the same seats for the women's games without another premium. They are gonna be good soon.

cheese, i understand your thoughts. my point is that realistically, there wont be a great number of high rollers that will plunk out the money to push significant boosters by the wayside. and even if they do with a large one time pay, if they dont continue to donate, i would think us turtle boosters that are slow and steady donators will then surpass them again by the next evaluation.

if they again plunk down the money to stay ahead, well at that point one has to look long range and see that over 5 years the guy that gave $500-$1000 a year is not as significant as the guy that donated the once every 5 year $10k donation.

my point is that sure big time bandwagon jumpers will surpass us, but the truth is that there are not going to be as many of those as one might think. plus, i believe that actually, there are more of the type that havent donated a cent or very little since debbie yow started this system 15 years ago, than us and we have in fact surpassed far more of them than what will surpass us.

those are the folks that are going to be screaming this time next year. and it isnt like they havent been warned.

there wont be surprises. there might be tough decisions to make, but supply and demand will clarify. those that have been donating for years even at a modest rate have a head start, but that doesnt mean that to keep that place it might not require more. it will be interesting to see what the outcome will be. there is a price for trying to climb up to the big boy level. i just hope i can afford it.

Roy wrote:

" i would think us turtle boosters that are slow and steady donators will then surpass them again by the next evaluation. "

Do you think (and are you in favor of) they will have those yearly, or bi yearly (or whatever) evaluations of your standing and you may get bumped from your seats if you don't "donate" the extra money?

I'm wary of this, as people said in above posts, pissing off people who have been the long-timers.

D1 hoops - the greatest show on earth.

AND...those will probably be very good seats. When we went from the Kiel to the Arena, my account total was disregarded; I was in the last group allowed in to choose and all the lower bowl primo seats were gone. However, I just went upstairs and took the first row at center court - they were less expensive and I came to appreciate that view. Still, I wrote letter of complaint and was treated exactly according to my account status at the time of the move downtown. I really think the Fetz will be too small for what's developing and that any decent seat will be a blessing. PLUS...todays SLPD says that scalping is going to be legalized.

>cheeseman, i have long thought about this very issue and

>originally i was thinking the same as you. however the way

>it was explained to me is that your previous total points

>dont go away so for significant number of fans to surpass

>you they would all have to pay substantial amounts of money

>to the billiken club. the point is as unsettled as this

>sounds, the likelihood is that if you continue to give you

>probably wont feel much difference in priority. at least

>that is the way i am reading it.

You guys will probably implement a system similar to Marquette. You get X number of points for the number of years being a season ticket holder (per seat up to 2), X for lettering (10 points, I believe), and X for donations. You get a point for each $100 donated for new donations to athletics and 1 point for each $250 donated for old donations to athletics or for donations to the school. New donations become old after 2 or 3 years. In addition, every season ticket in the lower bowl has a mandatory donation associated with it. Most are $50 or $100. A few rows are reseverved for major donations.

When all is said and done, there has been very little movement over the years. MU started with reseating every 3 years, I believe. I think they moved it up to every two years. There are simply not that many bigtime donators that contribute enough to bypass longtime season ticket holders.