>Neither negates the posting situation where Illinois fans

>take the time to quote our board and also offer reasoned

>discourse that we can become a success and challenge in

>recruiting. Over in Mizzouland, 90% of the posts read from

>Gooberville, where SLU can't even begin to have enough class

>to scrape road muffins from their exalted Wellies. The long

>and short ... if you want to talk basketball, Illinois is a

>decent board when not in meltdown. Mizzou forum is buried in

>tired slams. Basketball fans vs. goober talk.

So, you are going to judge an entire fan base, based on your interpretation of an internet message board? Wow.

Courtside, would it be better if I mentioned the drunk Mizzou fan who tried to pour a beer on me, missed, and nailed my two year old son, the numerous (needless) confrontational situations two consecutive years when playing them, the Mizzou student who committed a viscious racial assualt on the racist indian at halftime, or even the almost thirty years observing Mizzou fans in action?

Internet forums present a reasonable sampling of the mid-level fans motivated to post in public. The mid-level Illinois, Mizzou, and SLU fans are markedly different. So yea, I find the strong plurality of Mizzou mid-level fans to be short of talent in public discourse.

Don't you?

>Courtside, would it be better if I mentioned the drunk

>Mizzou fan who tried to pour a beer on me, missed, and

>nailed my two year old son, the numerous (needless)

>confrontational situations two consecutive years when

>playing them, the Mizzou student who committed a viscious

>racial assualt on the racist indian at halftime, or even the

>almost thirty years observing Mizzou fans in action?

>

>Internet forums present a reasonable sampling of the

>mid-level fans motivated to post in public. The mid-level

>Illinois, Mizzou, and SLU fans are markedly different. So

>yea, I find the strong plurality of Mizzou mid-level fans to

>be short of talent in public discourse.

>

>Don't you?

I've been at SLU games where SLU fans started physical confrontations with women, among many other things. I've seen good and bad fans at SLU for many many years, as well as other places. I was with a group of people once who wer jumped at a college bar and it was up for grabs, no special venom for that school. There are good people and bad people everywhere. SLU and Illinois do not have the market cornered on good people.

Internet forums do not present a reasonable example of anything. SLU averagess what 9,000 a game....and about 50 or so people post on this board with regularity.

There are large percentages of who do not go on message boards, who are fantastic fans, in the thousands, some average fans, some bad fans etc...

Some years ago I had season tickets for Mizzou football and held those seats for over a decade. I remember Playboy Magazine in their preseason football issue rated the colleges on their party time...OK drinking at the games. When they came to Mizzou Playboy's comment was no fair comparing professionals with amateurs. Oh! I do remember those days at Harpos before the game and hitting Newell's liquor store to load up on the essentials for the football game.

I'd go along with the sentiment that there are good and obnoxious fans at any college sporting event, especially with alcohol in the mix. I know that there are good Mizzou fans just as there are some that are not so good, but the same could be said about the Illini too, or even my alma mater SLU.

The Mizzou thing goes back for many, many years for some of us.

A lot of the MU fans are obnoxious elitists, their state-funded massive athletic department and hide-the-clown-curriculum (e.g. personal trainer majors: KG, etc) offer huge advantages over poor little 'ole SLU. Recession of the '70's almost wiped us out.

Bob Broeg and Bob Burns were great men, but they dominated the two sports sections for many, many decades... influenced the whole metro area favorable for Mizzou, Mizzou, Mizzou-ra...

We haven't done a thing yet, but enjoy the possibilities... and then, maybe....

Payback is a *****.

I think the best way to pay them back is to refuse to play them, but that's also turning down a big gate (and maybe cuting off your nose to spite your face). Considering many of mizzou's nonconference games draw about 50% capacity, they're foolish to refuse a game with SLU that would fill the house.

>And what year did Mike Anderson take a team to the

>championship game? Or the last time he tipped a few with Don

>Nelson? Or how many former UAB guys in the NBA?

He does have one former player Donnell Taylor in the NBA. He's a 6'5 or 6'6 pg for the Washington Wizards.

"When did you join the PC fringe?"

Ummm...yea, it's just a PC argument.

"The fighing Illini are no more racist than the fighting Irish!"

Ummm...right.

I like you Rich, but these are just silly statements.

Sorry to hijack a hijacked thread.

To you they may be silly. I think it is silly to protest the Illini but not the Seminoles. I think the Cleveland Indians logo is pretty repulsive but no one gives them any problems. The fighting Irish are cut slack for no good reason I can see. It's all in the eyes of the beholder. It's all relative. It's all pc bs in my opinion.

PS I think you're a twerp for your previous post. :P

The rage from Mizzou and Illini fans is all our fault. We have been beating Mizzou for so long that they are angry, confused and shell shocked. As for the Illini that beat down is more recent. KU has taken the best Chicago player 2 out of the last 3 years, leaving Weber with nothing. It looks like that will happen again this year. So Billiken fans they feel the need to come after someone that they feel superior to. With Rick as the helm thats going to change and they know it. So who is left for them to pick on, SEMO?

Also I have to apoligize to Rick Majerus for misquoting him, here is the correct quote.

"Recruiting kids to Kansas is like recruiting an alcoholic to a New Years party." Rick Majerus

My bad Rick, I'll talk to Bill Self and see if he could steer Suggs your way.