Candidates

Quest

I think Bonner would be a name that would be on the top of that list. He's probably one of the only local names that could still make an impact on the current spring signing period because he brings a name and his loyalty to the university.

This is just awful...I'm very upset about this.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bonner would be a mistake, he certainly didn't overachieve with his Vashon team. We have no idea of his work ethic as far as recruting or getting his team prepared. Jarvis ended in a disaster and is a horrible in game coach. Go with a young guy with some charisma whose won a conference title or made the NCAAs. Don't waste time with a retread.

I had a list of possibilities that I made following the back-to-back losses to St. Bona and Duquesne, as well as the loss to Fordham. Most of them, however, were assistants from some major schools. Here's the list I compiled during the season:

Gene Cross-Notre Dame-Currently at ND, followed Dave Leitao to Virginia before moving back closer to his hometown of Chicago. When Rivals.com made a list of top recruiting assistant coaches, he made the list. Coaching stops at ND, UVA, Depaul, and Illinois-Chicago. Helped DePaul and UIC land respected recruiting classes. Supposed to be very strong in Chicago. Played at Illinois. In one final tidbit, his grandfather, George Cross, was the coach of Vashon in the 1960's.

Joe Dooley-Kansas-Was head coach at East Carolina in his early 30's. Was fired with a winning record, which apparently has been rare for coaches at ECU. Has been integral in KU's recruiting over the last couple years. Also on the top 25 recruiters list from a few years ago.

Chris Collins-Duke-From Chicago, so has some midwest ties.

Another option would be to grab the assistant from another part of the country and just expect them to use their recruiting skills to develop connections in the midwest, especially St. Louis. Here's a list of possibilities there.

Kerry Keating-UCLA

Tom Moore-UCONN

Butch Pierre-LSU

Steve Wojciechowski-Duke

Frank Martin-Kansas State

A couple people from the last list are no longer on the market. Kerry Keating took the job at Santa Clara, Tom Moore is at Quinnipiac, and Frank Martin was promoted to K-State's head coach when Huggins left.

I have to say, though, that considering the timing of this firing, I'm thinking that we almost have to go big with this one. It would just make no sense to go small. This might have been a case where some prominent boosters are footing the bill for this. If that's the reason, then they better buck up and pay someone big.

"Because the success of the new Chaifetz Arena is largely contingent on the success of the men's basketball team, it is imperative that the team be led by a coach who we believe can establish a program that consistently vies for conference championships and engages in postseason play. The new head coach also must be committed to the University's history of following NCAA regulations and graduating its student-athletes."

that is a quote taken straight from slubillikens.com's official slu statement on Soderberg.

there is no way ANY assistant coach or any low major head coach fits that paragraph.

if we make that move, and that new head coach flops, this program is screwed back to ekker ball. this has happened so suddenly that one has to believe a big name program changer is about to be announced imo.

and one would beleive that celebrity coach would have the juice and forsight upfront to make the needed demands on the infrastructure as well. that is my reading between the lines because hiring john wooden/ al mcguire couldnt succeed bigtime here without fixing the rest.

Roy, the point you just made was the exact reason why I have switched my thoughts on who SLU will go after. This really souinds like there is a big name or several big names that SLU wants. I really don't think we can afford not top go really big with this one. You have to look at Montgomery and possibly Kevin O'Neill or Pete Gillen.

get serious. a sales clerk at macy's could recruit ohio state.

think about romar. he recruited the ucla national champions. how did he recruit to slu?

an assistant hire is a death sentence.

o'neil doesnt fit the last sentence of that paragraph. they do not want a slickster. biondi wants it both ways.

i am not that enthused about pete gillen. a man who time has passed by.

Arkansas probably had Altman all boxed and ready to roll when they decided to fire Heath.

I'll bet(hope) that SLU has a name brand candidate who told CL or Fr. Biondi that it was now or never. There is no other way I can explain the timing of Brad's firing.

I also hope that whoever is announced as SLU's new head coach doesn't end up like Altman and de-commit.

>o'neil doesnt fit the last sentence of that paragraph. they

>do not want a slickster. biondi wants it both ways.

>

>i am not that enthused about pete gillen. a man who time

>has passed by.

O'Neil is not a slickster. He is foul-mouthed, SOB. His biggest problem is that he doesn't do well on the chicken and rice circuit. He is great one on one with the average alum. Great defensive coach. He has a great eye for talent. His teams played hard all of the time. On the negative side, he does lack imagination on the offensive end. He is very abrasive.

When all is said and done, SLU would win with Kevin as coach. You would go to the NCAAs within 3-4 years. Isn't that what you want in a coach?

Montgomery would probably want around $2 million per season, and I still am not sure he would take a job this far east even for that money. I would be shocked if he is the next SLU coach. Chances are your next coach is either a head coach at a low major, an assistant at high major, or an assistant in the NBA looking to get into college coaching.

>o'neil doesnt fit the last sentence of that paragraph. they

>do not want a slickster. biondi wants it both ways.

>

>i am not that enthused about pete gillen. a man who time

>has passed by.

KO is not a "slickster." Then again, you accused every other coach of being a "snake oil salesman." KO is a builder and a damn good coach, we'd be lucky to get him, I think it could be done.

KO's biggest problem at MU was old time alumni who were living in the past and always bringing up Al McGuire. MU's facilities were ##### at the time, the financial committment wasn't there, the conference affiliation was poor, and the old timers who cast Al's shadow drove KO nuts. However, he went to Tennessee, saw what he had, and called MU back to see if he could return (unlike Creighton, MU said no). However, time at UT and Northwestern, as well as in the NBA has changed KO for the better. He was the architect of the Piston defense that eventually won the NBA title.

>What do you all think about this guy?

>http://goredfoxes.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl...ady_matt01.html

>

>He would know the A10 very well, he learned for a long time

>under Phil Martelli, and has done well as a head coach

>turning around Marist.

>

>His three years at Marist

>2004-2005 11-17

>2005-2006 19-10

>2006-2007 24-8

He was actually a candidate at Quinnipiac, he'd be a good choice. Jared Jordan was as good a PG as anyone in the country this past year. Still, I'd prefer someone with midwestern ties.