Sign 5 in the spring

ACE

I have read more than one person on here say that Soderberg is only planning to sign 4 this spring. That makes no sense. If Peterson commits, then that will mean three players locked up, but no help with bigs. If you believe we are only going to sign 4 players in the spring, that means that we will only have Bryce, Adam, undersized Luke and yet to be determined big up front. Wow! Talk about a glaring weakness.

There's no reason not to use all 5 scholarships and use the last two for bigs. Lack of depth was a major issue this past year. Don't do the holding a scholarship routine again. That doesn't work. We need players now.

If we use 5 this year, then next year we will still have 5 more openings - 4 scholarships + Kramer as a walk on.

At one of the Billiken Club meetings, Brad, who was unable to discuss recruits, indicated that there was a significant difference in support that can be provided to a scholarship vs. non-scholarship athlete. The clear inference was that Kramer would receive a scholarship.

I think planning to sign 4 is just being realistic. Given our recent history recruiting jucos we'll be very fortunate to sign one quality big in the spring. Two quality juco frontcourt players would be ideal but since no other SLU coach has been able to pull that off, I'm not holding my breath.

So that would mean taking a flyer on yet another out-of-area-high school big with the 5th scholarship. There's a shortage of quality big men to begin with -- a high school big that is still available at this late date is going to be a project, athletically or academically.

I think the only serious chance we have of signing 5 is landing a point guard, a quality juco and Steffphon Pettigrew, the 6-5 215 lb forward who is the frontrunner for Mr. Basketball in Kentucky. According to a recent newspaper article Pettigrew will try to make visits to St. Louis, Ole Miss and UMass on his spring break. UMass just got a committment from Gary Correia so they may be out of scholarships.

Usually I hate when Brad holds scholarships from year to year, but because of the depth of the local 08 class, I'd prefer he had a fifth scholarship to give. As 3 Star said, there's not much left at this point, whereas in the fall there's an over abundance of quality players.

I agree except we need bigs who can play. Imo if we have a chance for a big that UB feels can play in his sophmore year, we better take him. At this point we are looking at AK as our only big for TL and KL's Sr year. We need 2 bigs this year, if not we will be looking at having to find a freshman big who can contribute immediately.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

"I agree except we need bigs who can play. Imo if we have a chance for a big that UB feels can play in his sophmore year, we better take him."

I submit that only projects are available this late in the game. A big who can play in his sophomore year isn't really a project. Undersized maybe, but not a project.

ace, what if soderberg truly beleives he can sign brandenberg and thompson and suggs with kramer the next year. if he signs five this year, someone in that group has to go. who you dropping in order to sign the next justin johnson this summer?

>ace, what if soderberg truly beleives he can sign

>brandenberg and thompson and suggs with kramer the next

>year. if he signs five this year, someone in that group has

>to go. who you dropping in order to sign the next justin

>johnson this summer?

Roy, you named 4 players in 08. We have 4 to give, so we would be ok.

If all we are left to choose from this year is the next Justin Johnson, whose fault is that? I seem to recall other programs signed some nice players back in the fall. We signed 0.

no one said it is easy. that is why head coaches make big bucks.

the question is do we sign the equivalent of justion johnson, horace dixon, obi ikeakor now or save that scholarship betting on getting one more of that very good now junior class.

even if it isnt brandenberg, suggs and thompson, considering the other strong juniors, my vote is to hold it.

unless we got lucky and got 2 juco bigs. Who knows, I agree with you unless we got a big who could play his soph year.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

are we in this pickle because we gave walk-ons multiple year scholarships in spite of the fact that no one ever offered them; I realise their importance with our lack of depth but are they now the reason for us to have no depth? If so, that is stupid and I would jump ship on BS