No NIT at Scottrade

kshoe

I just checked the Scottrade website and once again they are having Disney On Ice the week NIT games could be played.

Not that it really matters since the NIT now uses a pretty strict seeding system and even if we are selected it'd likely be as a lower seed so we'd be forced to go on the road but just in case we made a run to the A-10 tourney final and improved our RPI enough to garner a home game it'll either be in St. Charles or on the road.

We unfortunately have this same discussion every year -- unfortunately because we even have to talk about the possibility of playing in the NIT, which is nothing but a bulls--t money grab by college basketball. As I've said every time it's come up, if we let the outside chance that we'd play in the losers' bracket in March influence the decision to construct our arena, then we probably belong in said bracket.

What's more, we have no standing at Scottravis right now because we publicly stated about five years ago that we'd be gone by now. Any rational business person would have dropped us to the bottom of the priority list. (And for the record, Disney on Ice announced early on this month that it was moving next year -- to the Family Arena. So if we're in the hosable position next year of having to worry where we'd play in the NIT, wow, we can probably play in Kielvis!)

we have a lot of work to do before making the NIT...

That being said, I believe this part of the original post covered this "Not that it really matters since the NIT now uses a pretty strict seeding system and even if we are selected it'd likely be as a lower seed so we'd be forced to go on the road but just in case we made a run to the A-10 tourney final and improved our RPI enough to garner a home game it'll either be in St. Charles or on the road."

Notice the "even if we are selected" part.

i find it hard to believe the nit folks would leap over the 5 other teams in the a-10 that dont make the ncaa tourney to select saint louis university. so the question is does the a-10 get 6 teams in the nit?

i say no.

our only chance for post season play is to win 4 in a row next week.

It depends on how we close out the A10 schedule and do in the conference tourney. I'm sure the NIT considers RPI as much as they consider conference record.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

>i find it hard to believe the nit folks would leap over the

>5 other teams in the a-10 that dont make the ncaa tourney to

>select saint louis university. so the question is does the

>a-10 get 6 teams in the nit?

>

>i say no.

>

>our only chance for post season play is to win 4 in a row

>next week.

Roy, according to your theory, there is no need to even play the non-conference portion of the schedule as the conference season is the only part that matters for post-season tournaments.

Looking at last year's NIT, Temple (8-8 A-10 record with a 74 RPI) and St. Joes (9-7 A-10 record with a 43 RPI) made it in the NIT while SLU (10-6 A-10 with 101 RPI) and La Salle (10-6 A-10 with 103 RPI).

Seems pretty obvious to me which the NIT worried more about...

Yeah, it will depend on who we play in AC but we have to win at least one more game where we are not favored (I think it may possible to finish 1-1 and 1-1 and AC and go but it would not be likely and it would mean on things outside of SLU's control breaking our way).

So, 2-0 finish and 1-1 AC or 1-1 finish and 2-1 AC would get us to where we would likely (but there are no guarantees and we would still be subject to being knocked out by a lot of automatics). I would expect only 4-5 "automatics" and with the above that would be a solid NIT shot but a high/away seed.

I think it still depends on what the goal of having the NIT is for the NCAA. If it is just fairness, then we are probably out. If it is to make some money, then I think we have a chance--maybe not a good chance, but a real chance--25% or so. I would think a matchup with Mizz might be something the NIT people would like to see. I don't know if putting it at Mizz or at Family(neutral site)would be the better option, but overall could be a money-making game for the NIT.

that's two teams that they leaped over for st joes and three for temple. not the five we would have to go past.

so if maybe a couple of the other teams in front of us also get into either the ncaa and/or nit, then we might have a chance. but remember that this year their is already a tremendous imbalance in the top 40 rpi as opposed to years past. which will mean a greater percentage of 30-50 rpi teams being excluded from the ncaa tourney then in years past.

i think we are dreaming of an nit berth, unless we really finish strong. imo a "strong finish" is winning 5 out of the next 6 games. and the fact we likely play either xu or umass second round now, makes that wish even tougher.