Bruce Pearl in the stands at a UT women's game

Box and Won

Pearl indeed got a lot of bagd for the buck of paint. He was all over Sportscenter, early morning shows, talk radio. He was able to take a televised womens basketball game and make it all about him. None of these people are talking about who won that game. Like him or hate him, he is very successful at self promotion.

He's got people excited about the UT mens team again. They have a very athletic and fun team to watch, and prior to Chris Lofton getting hurt on Saturday their chances for a Big Dance invite appeared to be a lock. I have not heard how serious Lofton's injury is to his ankle, and it will have a definite impact on the rest of the Vols schedule.

>When a coach goes to his women's team game with the goal of

>getting a video of himself on Youtube. At least he didn't

>blow himself up. Next week check out old Bruce ghost riding

>while he tries to get in a frat.

And he still finds a way to do more with less than SLU in terms of promotion.:)

courtside said,

"And he still finds a way to do more with less than SLU in terms of promotion."

did you just insinuate that the university of tennessee has provided less to the tennessee basketball program than slu?

>i thought you werent a name caller?

>

>i still dont get your comparison.

First, it isn't name calling, certainly not in a deragotory way. It was in playful reference to the above exchange you had with another poster. Second, it doesn't bother me in the least if you are an Illinois fan(I agreed with the poster's comments that you have come across many times as an Illinois fan, intentional or unintentional) and yet you have many times chastized Mizzou fans etc...or anyone who doesn't post hatred for the teams you don't like.(not just the Mizzou troll fans, even legit fans) I'd agree with that. It wouldn't have been posted by Brian, ...had he not thought so, and myself etc.... It isn't a big deal. I think it is possible to dislike a school without the dollar signs, name calling, etc...and actually objectively discuss topics.

You wouldn't object to somebody saying SLU fan. "Illinois fan" was not deragotory.

Do you seriously have a problem with Bruce Pearl painting up? I would absolutely love it if Brad showed that sort of enthusiasm towards the women's team. You are aware that he took some of his players with him and they also dressed up. He didn't get just all liquired up and decide to go to the women's game. It was a sign of respect and it had nothing to do with acting like a teenager.

Hell, if thats all it takes to get on Sports center, why won't Brad do it. This team needs to find a pulse, why not try a simple cheap technique.

My original post was meant to be a joke about a coach making an ass out of himself. And he did at the expense of the schools women's program. That game should have been about that game and nothing more. It became all about Pearl. I guess some people at UT are probably happy with that after the game.

Adults in his position should behave in a certain way.

Seinfeld masterly handled the subject of face and body paint. I don't think I could describe the absurdity of the 50+ Pearl doing it better.

I think Pearl is great. I don't remember the exact circumstance but Pearl caught some heat for turning in somebody cheating while he was in Wisconsin. Hell I think every coach should turn in cheaters. I actually think it takes guts to turn someone in and then catch flack.

Let's not make this a big thread about the past...people will flock to this thread...but Pearl was assistant at Iowa, Collins was assistant at Illinois...then stories conflict a great deal about recruiting incident. In the fraternity of NCAA coaches, Pearl was banished for 9 long years to D-2 S Indiana, where his success was immediate and remarkable. He got a 2nd shot at D-1 at UWM, replacing Bo Ryan who was only there briefly to turn around a program...and he escalated that program and won there too. He bolted for a major job in major conference after 4 strong seasons when his name was red hot for NCAA success...and who could blame him...he didn't want to wait around 13 more years for another chance, and took Tennessee job. His long time asistant Tony Jones would be a good head coach some time. He wins. He plays a crowd pleasing style with athletes, he strong talent evaluator, and is off to a good start in Tennessee. etc..Personally he has a right down the center split on people who like him and don't. He has been working very very hard in summers to rebuild old friendships, and make connections with coaches across the country.(that has been one of his smarter things lately) Works very hard. He could charm any mother or grandmother. He gets his mug all over tv and radio, never turning down a request. Always promoting. Sometimes his mouth gets him into trouble but he keeps on going. People who dislike him, really dislike him, and people who like him really like the tnon-stop chatter of the Jewish kid from Boston.

What he did was take advantage of the opportunity to promote himself and his team....he is very smart, he IMMEDIATELY befriended Pat Summit because he knew that was the way to get fans. He went on many tv and talk radio shows after the incident, and other than a 5 second line about beig there for the womens team...a lotof discussions turned to him and his team. If everyone is happy fine. What people are not also saying is unintentionally he also brought more interest to the womens team as well as his own team. Many people wouldn't have wtached or cared or known of the womens game(and it was 1 v 4 nationally). ...other than die-hard womens hops fans, and those aren't the majority.

Most casual observers probably thought it was funny and you can do that stuff if you have a competitive and entertaining product to sell.

Nobody is metioning the game and that is the problem. It is all about Bruce Pearl. The UT womens team needs no help in getting attention or drawing fans. I think his actions not only show a lack of class, but also a lack of respect for Pat Summit and her team. The attention should be focused on the court and not on some guy making ass out of himself in the stands.

calling me anything but a slu fan is derogatory imo.

btw, you seemed to take any shots in the past i gave you about marquette pretty badly.