Post Game Thread

RUBillsFan

Some thoughts on the game (although i didn't see it and just listened on the radio):

1. Tommie Liddel is really really good. I think he should (and has somewhat) become the focal point of our offense instead of Ian.

2. Our defense seemed better this game, but shooting wasn't really bad (35%) except from 3 which was okay (39%). Turnovers were still a problem (14). Why can't we play good D and do well on offense at the same time? Seems like its one or the other.

3. The bench, even with minutes from Dustin and Knollmeyer, was not good especially at scoring. O points 0-10 from the floor. They did have 2 steals and 6 rebounds and only 1 turnover.

4. Dustin MacGuire should probably get more minutes eventhough he was 0-4 from the field and 0-3 from 3pt range. It sounded like he was just off on his 3s (probably because of a lack of in game experience). He grabbed 2 rebounds, had a steal, and no turnovers.

Feels good to win, but we'll have to play better to beat Xavier. LETS GO BILLS.

Great game for the Billikens, especially in the second half. Eight threes in the second half alone, with Dwayne and Kevin helping Tommie shoulder the load.

Observation regarding Maguire...he looks VERY nervous out there to me. Watch him without the ball, he's hopping around and whipping his head around in every direction. Also, his shots don't appear to have any rotation at all. However, he did contribute with a few rebounds (one off of his own shot) and I didn't see a drop in D as has been talked about. Seems like with some more minutes to get him comfortable he could be a legitimate option, but I'd like to som rotation on that shot...

This was a very intersting game-- a lot of ups and downs but the Bills willed this one out after RI had made a run and took a 4 point lead in the second half.

The first half we played absolutely brilliantly on defense--I do not think they ever had an open shot anywhere on the floor. It was a thing of beauty. On the offensive end our offense against the zone worked to perfection and we had about 15-17 wide open shots. The problem was that we continued to miss almost all of those shots. Tommie and Kevin missed a number of shots so in spite of playing very well on both ends we were actually behind. It is evidence of what I have been saying since the beginning--shooting well is a huge! If you miss shots even if they are wide open it makes you look like you are not good offensively. But, as opposed the the last two games, our guys did not lessen up the defense even though the shots were not falling.

The second half was gritty and tough the whole way. We shot the ball much better from 3 and eventually hit some clutch free throws. Ian hit 4 big ones as did Kevin. Our defense was still very good but they hit 3 25 foot three point shots with a hand in the face to keep them in the game. Baron hit two of those coming off a pick and they were like turnaround jumpers--amazing shots. But we hung in there and won a really important game for the psyche of this team.

Luke Meyer battled their 6'8" huge star who shoots 50% from 3 point land for 39 incredibly tough minutes. He was terrific. Tommie and Kevin were awesome on the defensive end and the offensive end in the second half. It is a miracle how much better Tommie is shooting from out side and after missing a number of wide open 3s in the first half it was exciting to see Kevin hit three of them in the second half.

Ian was a real force on the defensive end. He blocked 4 shots officially but he really altered a number of others. They had 3 guys who were tall and could really leap so our guys had to bust it to get the ball off the boards. Brad said they are the 13th best offensive rebounding team in the country and I believe it.

A few comments about some of the issues we have been discussing:

for those who were not there--even though this was a 62-58 game we did not by any means 'grind it out" on offense. We often shot the ball from outside as soon as we got an open look, often very early in the shot clock.

For those who say that the defense cannot guard against 3 point shots-- the answer is execution, not the scheme--This was a great 3 point shooting team and they had virtually no open looks from 3. They hit some but the ones they made were very difficult shots-the ended up shooting 25% from 3 point land.

Polk hit three bit 3 pointers, including one after an offensive rebound by Luke off a missed free throw, that were huge. He busted his butt to guard Baron all over the floor and if the refs had called all of the pushing off Baron would have had several more fouls.

I think Brad said it best--the was a "relief" game--good for the team so we can now get on with the prep for Xavier. That should be a good one! Go Bills

PS to Courtside--I am done with all the trash--for me it is just basketball talk and nothing else. I would implore others to do the same.

URI played mostly zone and IV was getting double or even triple teamed. He still had 11 points, 6 rebounds (only ok, but better than his recent avg.) and 4 blocks. He probably could have given us a little more production, but I'm not complaining. What kept this game close was poor shooting, missed FTs, and lack of any bench scoring, not IV's play.

If you watch Ian when we are on offense he is the main focal point of 2 or 3 guys--that is the reason we get so many wide open 3 point shots. He was working hard but they really decided that he would not beat them. On defense he was excellent. He had a big very mobile guy who was trying to take him off the dribble from the perimeter and Ian blocked his shots several times. His help defense was strong and he altered a number of shots. He hit 4 big free throws down the stretch. Although I do not think he had big stats he had a very large impact on this game.

I think at this point we should forget entirely about the RPI and just focus on playing well and winning as many games as possible leading into the conference tournament. Loyola beat Northern Iowa who has been playing great and then loses to Wright State. Games like that are happening all over the country. Wichita State was number 8 in the nation and then they lose 5 games. Alabama is ranked 8 and they get run out of the building by Ark--and there are dozens of other examples. Parity is here--a good team that plays bad against a bad team can lose. A good team that plays bad against a decent team can be blown out.

What did you think of what you saw at the Bills game tonight--pretty gritty win, would you agree?

I was impressed with Maguire on the defensive end.

I think that Liddell and Lisch have a real shot at an NBA career.

Luke is a BAMF(for all you dane cook fans) on the boards. He is tough as nails.

Johnson took a step forward towards regaining my trust.

Danny was bad tonight.

Polk had a great game

Posted Image

"I was on fire, I was hotter than a pistol" Jason McElwaine

If theres no SLU basketball in heaven I'm not going!!!!!!

Official Billikens.com Sponsor of Chris Sloan and Billiken Volleyball

and Official Billiken.com Online Video Guy

>I think at this point we should forget entirely about the

>RPI and just focus on playing well and winning as many games

>as possible leading into the conference tournament. Loyola

>beat Northern Iowa who has been playing great and then loses

>to Wright State. Games like that are happening all over the

>country. Wichita State was number 8 in the nation and then

>they lose 5 games. Alabama is ranked 8 and they get run out

>of the building by Ark--and there are dozens of other

>examples. Parity is here--a good team that plays bad against

>a bad team can lose. A good team that plays bad against a

>decent team can be blown out.

>

>What did you think of what you saw at the Bills game

>tonight--pretty gritty win, would you agree?

The reason why I mentioned it was because someone posted despite win, SLU RPI dropped. Well, Rhode Island is not good, 181 RPI, zero quality non-conference wins, zero. Pacific is not so far what SLU had hoped. So it would help if Loyola didn't have many losses too. At this point, RPI talk is moot because unless SLU wins reg season crown or conference tourney, they will not dance.

Any win is a good win imo. SLU held serve at home, and the win this Sat vs Xavier will be much bigger because of who Xavier is, and...heading into 4 of 5 on road. Absolutely must win at home in conference...in any conference, and in a bad one, it is a killer if you don't. ...and Duquesne lost by 16 at home to dreadful LaSalle tonight.

TDell, Tommie is showing pretty solid form on his threes. He has a much softer stroke, and a steady trajectory this year. The only concern I have is why doesn't he elevate when he shoots them? He will need the elevation before the release to make it an effective shot in the NBA. Is this Part II of his shooting mechanics change, to be seen in the next season?

Well I hate to throw a little objectivity into this but I will anyway. Yes I was glad we won. I was glad that we played better defense. I was glad that we hit 39% of our 3s. I am glad we handled the press better except for the last 5 minutes of the first half. I am still unhappy with our rebounding - we have been out rebounded by the last 3 teams - you can not keep doing that and expect to win unless you are shooting at a high %. Maybe it is just me but why are we always playing behind our man on defense when the rebound comes off? I thought blocking out was part of defense. The sagging zone defense is something this team is going to see the rest of the year until Brad devises a different way to exploit it other than Kevin, Tommie, and Polk hopefully hitting a 3 or a long jumper. Luke at the head of the key worked for awhile but then they smothered him and it was hard to get the pass to him. What I can not figure out is if Ian has 2 or 3 players sagging on him then why is that Luke is still smothered at the head of the key - could there defense be that fast? I don't have the answer but I am not making 500K either nor do I believe we can consistently shoot the 3 at a 39% clip. I hope they do well agains Xavier.

Kevin is a nice player but he has no NBA future at this point. Tommie is carrying the team for now and Luke is a gritty player. I liked that Adam and Dustin got in the game. Dustin's actions are typical of a freshman who has not played much I did not read anything into it. If Brad plays Dustin a couple more games the way he did tonight and he still is missing shots then I have to start wondering about him as a shooter.

Huge Win. Tommy was incredible. He's now 27-53 on the season from 3pt range. That's an unbelievable turnaround. It also has to be one of the best 3pt percentages in the country for having over 50 attempts.

Once Kevin is out of his slump this is a totally different team having 2 guards that can shoot. Should open up Ian a little more. Although our bench needs to produce something. 0-10 ain't gonna cut it.

Did you notice the lights in the upper bowl were turned off for the rest of the game when polk was at the line at the end of the 1st half. I heard the administration cut the budget again and told Scotttrade that they needed to shut them down to save money. HaHa!

CAG